View Full Version : Need help increasing the length-of-pull on my LMT Carbine

Group B
11-29-2009, 9:29 PM
I'm still using the SOPMOD that came on my LMT MRP CQB Piston 16 rifle, and I use an Israeli Sayeret-style two-point sling, using qd swivels.

I really like the large cheek weld area it offers, and its super solid (tight with no rattle), yet I keep looking at other stocks to swap it out for.

I'm a fairly big guy (6'3" 255lbs.) with long arms, so I would prefer a telescoping stock, that allows for a significantly longer length-of-pull than a typical fixed or telescoping stock.

I really like the way the UBR looks, but it doesn't carry as many 123 lithium batteries as the SOPMOD, has a smaller cheek-weld area, and it won't accept the magpul snap-on cheek riser for the CTR. I really need to get my hands on one and check it out, see how it feels, the whole "stationary cheek piece" design and all.

The ACS is intriguing. As much as it seems like a CTR with a larger cheek-weld area, it looks kind of funny to me, but it has plenty of storage. Again I haven't checked it out in-person; I need to get my hands on one.

The CTR is nice, but has a small cheek-weld area and no storage. A good buddy of mine has one on his AR, and it feels all right.

The VLTOR stocks have always seemed cheap-looking to me, but since I haven't held a rifle equipped with one, my opinion is based purely on ignorance.

Whether I decide to keep the SOPMOD, or go with a different stock, my primary concern is that I need to increase the LOP. I have seen kits CTD that extend any stock an inch, using a 1" spacer at the back of the lower receiver, in addition to a 1" spacer inside the buffer tube, but I don't know if they're any good.

Since Magpul stocks all tend to have a removable butt-plate, I figure I could just have a phenolic block machined to fit sandwiched between the rear of the stock and the rubber butt-plate. I don't see myself being able to modify my current SOPMOD in that fashion.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

11-29-2009, 10:12 PM
the ACS is pretty long, probably on par with the SOPMOD. i have one and really like it. I'm have short arms, but fully extended its WAY to long for me.

11-29-2009, 11:10 PM
I think you just need to get shorter arms as there are no significantly longer telescoping stocks.
Get yourself some body armor.
That will take up the extra space.

11-29-2009, 11:25 PM
ACE makes a long version of their M4 SOCOM stock, which could work for you.

Also, I think Magpul makes a cheek rest for the CTR, as well a thicker butt pad. Maybe that will help.

11-30-2009, 7:05 AM
The Magpul ACS and Vltor EMOD are your best bet. They are both longer than the SOPMOD and the ACS can be made about 1/2 inch longer even by adding Magpuls aftermarket recail pad.

Unless you're dragging knuckles at 6'3 either of those should ft the bill. A buddy of mine is 6'5 ad he hadles my EMOD stocked rifle just fine.

Good luck.

11-30-2009, 10:33 AM
Do you shoot 'nose-to-charging handle'?

11-30-2009, 10:59 AM
I am 6'4", and I used to think that I need a LOOOONG stock, just because of that. Then, I realized i'm not holding a hunting rifle. With my carbine, I use it with the stock out only to the second position from the shortest, my VG is about 3" forward of my magwell, and the stubby grip is used for my lower 3 fingers, while my thumb and index finger are up on the handguard. When I shoot, I position the stock a little closer towards the center of my chest, use my lower 3 fingers that are on the VG to slightly pull the rifle into my chest, slightly draw my elbows in towards each other, and look down the irons. Maybe re-think your shooting stance??? If I pull the stock all the way out, and then move the butt to my right shoulder, my LEFT soulder gets tired from holding it too long that way, which kills accuracy.

11-30-2009, 4:14 PM
The Magpul ACS and Vltor EMOD are your best bet. They are both longer than the SOPMOD and the ACS can be made about 1/2 inch longer even by adding Magpuls aftermarket recail pad.

ACS plus extra recoil pad can give you some serious LOP on a carbine.

Group B
12-02-2009, 3:48 PM
Thank you all for you responses and suggestions.

At this point I think I'm going to sell my LMT SOPMOD stock, and pick up an ACS and a .70 thick recoil pad.

I should also have someone evaluate my rifle stance, to see if it could use some improvement.

Peter W Bush
12-02-2009, 4:05 PM
Let me know if you sell your Sopmod for a good price. My 20" HBAR has an EMOD and Im about 6'2" and very happy with the LOP.