PDA

View Full Version : Help me understand how to ship a firearm in CA

HK_Fan
11-07-2005, 8:27 PM
Guys, please help me understand this. An individual and myself have agreed on a trade of 2 firearms. I understand that we both need ink signed copies of the FFL to give to our respective FFL. But what is that used for? Also, I have heard conflicting reports on if I can ship direct to an FFL myself or I have to give the firearm to my FFL to ship to his FFL. Please let me know.

Regards,
Roberty

C.G.
11-07-2005, 8:36 PM
Guys, please help me understand this. An individual and myself have agreed on a trade of 2 firearms. I understand that we both need ink signed copies of the FFL to give to our respective FFL. But what is that used for? Also, I have heard conflicting reports on if I can ship direct to an FFL myself or I have to give the firearm to my FFL to ship to his FFL. Please let me know.

Regards,
Roberty

Search is your friend. Typed in "shipping firearms" and look at what I got: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/search.php?searchid=3477

jlmurphy
11-07-2005, 8:44 PM
Interstate transfer of firearms has to go from FFL to FFL ( GCA 1968 ), in state transfer laws are all over the place. An individual can ship directly to a warranty repair or I believe a gunsmith for repairs and the gun can be shipped back to the same address without an FFL. Worse yet, a Ca. FFL cannot receive a handgun or an AW that is not on the approved list. Private party transfers between Ca. residents don't have to be on the list, except for AW's.

PanzerAce
11-07-2005, 8:47 PM
your best bet would probaly be to meet up at a gun shop so that you can both do all the paper work there, assuming that a face to face is possible for you.

HK_Fan
11-07-2005, 8:54 PM
I didnt think that the search would still work with the new site up and running. Guess that is what I get for thinking again ;)
I now understand how to ship it myself, but I still would like to know the reason that we have to give the ink signed FFL copy to our respective FFL's.

Thanks

HK_Fan
11-07-2005, 8:56 PM
I would like to meet up with him, but he is on the bottom of the state, and I am on the top. Plus I would hate to have to drive back down in 10 days to pick up the gun. The weapons in question are a G23 and a P226. so they are both certified CA okie dokie handguns.

Rob

C.G.
11-07-2005, 9:52 PM
I didnt think that the search would still work with the new site up and running. Guess that is what I get for thinking again ;)
I now understand how to ship it myself, but I still would like to know the reason that we have to give the ink signed FFL copy to our respective FFL's.

Thanks
In case the firearm needs to be returned for whatever reason.

EOD Guy
11-08-2005, 6:10 AM
Interstate transfer of firearms has to go from FFL to FFL ( GCA 1968 ), in state transfer laws are all over the place. An individual can ship directly to a warranty repair or I believe a gunsmith for repairs and the gun can be shipped back to the same address without an FFL. Worse yet, a Ca. FFL cannot receive a handgun or an AW that is not on the approved list. Private party transfers between Ca. residents don't have to be on the list, except for AW's.

You are mistaken. There is nothing in GCA 68 or any other law or regulation that requires FFL to FFL transfers. The only requirement is an FFL must receive the firearm in an interstate transfer and there are many exceptions to that also.

I don't know what you meant about AW's. Private party transfers of assault weapons are illegal in California.

EOD Guy
11-08-2005, 6:13 AM

Thanks

That is only required if you are shipping from FFL to FFL. 27CFR requires that the shipping FFL provide a certified copy of his license to the receiving FFL. That is only required in transfers between licensees. Fax copies are acceptable.

-hanko
11-08-2005, 7:48 AM
Interstate transfer of firearms has to go from FFL to FFL
:rolleyes: Nope...though some ffl's incorrectly think this is the case. Nor is it required that anything needs to be 'ink-signed'. An ffl is allowed to accept a faxed ffl, if they're jumpy.

You can verify that an ffl's license is current by the easy check page at the atf website AND you can ship him a gun without a copy of his license, signed or not. Federal law does allow a non-licensee to ship to an ffl. Additional info is on the atf website in the faq section & is plain & simple.

"AW" and "approved list" is a conflict in terms

-hanko

Bobshouse
11-08-2005, 5:10 PM
I think your going to have to go through the 10 day waiting period also.

I bid and won a shotgun on Gunbroker, the guy I purchased it from was not an FFL and he mailed (shipped UPS) to my FFL from out of state, the FFL received the gun, I went over to do the paperwork and ended up waiting 10 days before I could pick the gun up. If its that strict with a shotgun, I hate to imagine what a handgun requires.

C.G.
11-08-2005, 5:18 PM
I think your going to have to go through the 10 day waiting period also.

I bid and won a shotgun on Gunbroker, the guy I purchased it from was not an FFL and he mailed (shipped UPS) to my FFL from out of state, the FFL received the gun, I went over to do the paperwork and ended up waiting 10 days before I could pick the gun up. If its that strict with a shotgun, I hate to imagine what a handgun requires.

Same thing except that a handgun needs to be on the DOJ approved list and unless it is a FFT you can only transfer one every 30 days.