PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Seen 6.5 Grendel 16" Carbine Uppers?

aermotor
11-29-2009, 7:01 PM
Seen these around anyone, either private sellers or stores? Not really sure what the wait time is from AA on them, can't get a response, so trying to see if anyone has some insight, or even possibly one they are looking to get rid of.

Bug Splat
11-29-2009, 7:21 PM
There are a number of place that sell a 6.5 Grendel upper, they are just not always called by the Grendel name due to lic issues. Just about everyone makes a 6.5 grendel barrel too but they might call it by a different name. Your best bet is to just buy the parts and built it yourself.

http://www.model1sales.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=UCE65&storeid=1&image=u16carpre65.gif&CFID=56689499&CFTOKEN=86883973

C.G.
11-29-2009, 8:35 PM
You are couple days late, looks like this one may be sold, but you may want to put yourself second in line:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=240064&highlight=grendel

3GunFunShooter
11-29-2009, 9:27 PM
I thought the 6.5 Grendel was more of a long range round, 16" seems to be a little short.

aermotor
11-29-2009, 9:51 PM
Neg, Grendel performs incredibly out of a 16"

Jpach
11-29-2009, 10:05 PM
Neg, Grendel performs incredibly out of a 16"

For realz? I always heard the opposite as well. Do you have links to barrel length/velocity charts?

C.G.
11-29-2009, 10:39 PM
For realz? I always heard the opposite as well. Do you have links to barrel length/velocity charts?

Not a scientific study, but all I could find at the moment:

Originally posted by LawDawg8645 on 65grendel.com;
(http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4642&highlight=velocity+barrel)

Oh, and just for anyones info, I just finished chronographing several loads from my 16" Kotonics 6.8 SPCII barrel.

Factory
Remington 115 HPBT - 2375fps
Remington 115 FMJ - 2402fps
Hornady 110 VMAX - 2440fps

AA 16" 6.5mm Grendel barrel.

Factory
123 Lap SCENAR - 2470fps
120 Nosler BT - 2406fps

Just some raw data to mull over.

11-30-2009, 12:13 AM

http://www.alexanderarms.com/grendel_ballistics.pdf

C.G.
11-30-2009, 1:15 AM
http://www.alexanderarms.com/grendel_ballistics.pdf

That is out of a 14.5" barrel, not 16".

aermotor
11-30-2009, 1:31 AM
Even better hah...

Jpach
11-30-2009, 1:40 AM
Jeez, never EVER thought I would say this but 6.8 smokes the 6.5 at those short ranges and with short bbls. I know, they're very different cartriges. I just had to Wow at the 6.8 due to my current findings on it.

Addax
11-30-2009, 2:56 AM
Seen these around anyone, either private sellers or stores? Not really sure what the wait time is from AA on them, can't get a response, so trying to see if anyone has some insight, or even possibly one they are looking to get rid of.

We currently build a piston driven 6.5 Grendel 16" Carbine.

http://www.adxtactical.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1334&idcategory=172

Normal wait time is approx. 45-60 days.

If you are seeking a DI set up, we can build you one. Wait time is about the same, approx. 45-60 days, and prices will vary depending on the type of rail or options/configuration you are seeking.

We can also order you a 6.5 Grendel Upper from Sabre Defence as another option, and the wait times are closer to 60-90 days from Sabre.

Drop us a line at sales@adxtactical.com or call us at 818-886-5008, and we would be happy to help you out.

Thanks,
Chris

11-30-2009, 7:31 AM
That is out of a 14.5" barrel, not 16".

There are 4 pages on that pdf files on AA site, covering 14.5, 16, 19.5 and 24 inches barrel length, respectively. You can scroll down to see the other pages.

Tunis
11-30-2009, 7:38 AM
MidwayUSA has the Sabre Defence IN STOCK for $1469.99!

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=340166

C.G.
11-30-2009, 1:44 PM
There are 4 pages on that pdf files on AA site, covering 14.5, 16, 19.5 and 24 inches barrel length, respectively. You can scroll down to see the other pages.

:( I am feeling stupid at the moment, somehow I missed the other pages.

C.G.
11-30-2009, 1:44 PM
Jeez, never EVER thought I would say this but 6.8 smokes the 6.5 at those short ranges and with short bbls. I know, they're very different cartriges. I just had to Wow at the 6.8 due to my current findings on it.

Would you care to share?

11-30-2009, 1:55 PM
:( I am feeling stupid at the moment, somehow I missed the other pages.

Don't feel that bad. I missed those pages when I'd looked at that same pdf file the first place. The PDF format makes it look like a single page.

Jpach
12-02-2009, 3:12 PM
Would you care to share?

Certainly.
http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7220

Its semi-long but its a good read. The velocities achieved from those handloads are NUTS. And according to the author, people produce even hotter loads with no ill effect on their guns even after 4K+rds.

But as I said, the 6.8 is more...practical/ideal than the 6.5 for short range purposes. The 6.5 G will obviously spank the 6.8 at farther ranges (as you already know).

12-02-2009, 5:00 PM
But as I said, the 6.8 is more...practical/ideal than the 6.5 for short range purposes. The 6.5 G will obviously spank the 6.8 at farther ranges (as you already know).

Why would I want to limit myself and my rifle to short range ?

Yes, there are compromises, but would it be idealistic to have a tool that can do all tasks ?

aermotor
12-02-2009, 5:16 PM
Nothing does all tasks. It seems his point is if he's not going long range (600-700+) then 6.8 is enough, and if you think 600 isn't adequate, dunno what to say, hah. The point is that 6.8 is going to deliver a bigger punch at close range, I think that's all we're talking about really with the 6.8 — Maybe that's just the theory and my numbers are wrong, sorry if so.

cornholio1
12-02-2009, 9:13 PM
Heres mine in Stainless Steel. First build with my own two hands

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j225/usadaytrader/IMG_7468.jpg

k1dude
12-02-2009, 10:07 PM

In all the threads comparing the two chamberings, you keep touting how the 6.8 SPCII outperforms the 6.5 Grendel. I have read multiple postings by you claiming such. You are spreading disinformation. You base all of your information on velocities of wildcat loads that are pushing the very boundaries of safety. It's unfair to compare those extreme loads with standard production load data of the 6.5 Grendel. And never do you compare energy or BC of the two loads. If you did, you would see the superiority of the 6.5 Grendel. Velocity is for show, energy is the real deal.

The 6.8 SPCII extreme wildcat loads perform marginally better (3% to 7%)than the standard production loads of the 6.5 Grendel out of similar barrels at shorter ranges (0 to 300 yards). But anything past that and the Grendel shines, even comparing extreme wildcat loads to standard production.

You have to compare apples to apples, but you're comparing apples to oranges.

I understand you're a fanboy of the 6.8 SPCII. It's a fine cartridge. But you unfairly disrespect the 6.5 Grendel. Which given it's long legs and remarkable trajectory may be the better all-around choice for most shooting/hunting enthusiasts.

Jpach
12-03-2009, 1:06 AM
In all the threads comparing the two chamberings, you keep touting how the 6.8 SPCII outperforms the 6.5 Grendel. I have read multiple postings by you claiming such. You are spreading disinformation. You base all of your information on velocities of wildcat loads that are pushing the very boundaries of safety. It's unfair to compare those extreme loads with standard production load data of the 6.5 Grendel. And never do you compare energy or BC of the two loads. If you did, you would see the superiority of the 6.5 Grendel. Velocity is for show, energy is the real deal.

The 6.8 SPCII extreme wildcat loads perform marginally better (3% to 7%)than the standard production loads of the 6.5 Grendel out of similar barrels at shorter ranges (0 to 300 yards). But anything past that and the Grendel shines, even comparing extreme wildcat loads to standard production.

You have to compare apples to apples, but you're comparing apples to oranges.

I understand you're a fanboy of the 6.8 SPCII. It's a fine cartridge. But you unfairly disrespect the 6.5 Grendel. Which given it's long legs and remarkable trajectory may be the better all-around choice for most shooting/hunting enthusiasts.

You know what, I wasnt specific enough. I guess I should have said that the 6.8 is more ideal if you want a shorter barrel and/or to hunt with it at a humane distance. From everything I have seen on the 6.5, it takes a longer barrel to achieve similar velocities that the 6.8 gets out of shorter barrels. If you dont think that needing a longer barrel, thus increasing weight, is a disadvantage, then you are free to feel so.

I posted a link that you apparently checked out so I dont think I need to compare energy between the two, especially when the 6.8 has the same weight bullets flying faster than the 6.5, even when the 6.5 has a 24" barrel! Naturally, same weight bullet going faster means more energia. As for the BC, not so good for the 6.8, hence the short range part that I mentioned. Still does fine out to 300+ish for game. Would you want to take big game beyond 400 yards anyways? I wouldnt, I prefer knowing that I made an ethical shot and quick kill. If you would shoot at that distance, would you want to take that 400+yard away big game with a 6.5 grendel?

Check out this handloading chart on the 6.5 forum

http://www.65grendel.com/65GrendelReloadingData.pdf

Some of the factory 6.8s are still faster than some of the max 6.5 reloads, and dont get me started on 6.8 reloads compared to 6.5 max loads.

I dont mean to disrespect the 6.5 grendel. The phenominal BC is great and all but the need for a long barrel to achieve velocities to really put that high BC to use is too much for MY hunting preferences.

Now that I reread your post, you said things that I have already said as if you didnt read my previous posts...even though you said you have read them.

I already said that the Grendel shines at a long distance. I already said that the 6.8 performs better out of short barrels (not just marginally though).

Although the loads in the link I posted are hot and phenominal ;) , I wouldnt call them extreme. Extreme for SAAMI chambered and/or 1:10 guns? Hell yes, hence the not so pretty spent brass from the said chambered/bbld rifles. For the SPC II chambered rifles with appropriate twists? I dont believe so. No real signs of dangerous pressures and 4000+rds of HOTTER rounds than the ones tested with no ill effect on the gun leads me to feel this way. Again, these loads are still more impressive than the MAX loads listed on the 6.5 g site.

Could I be wrong? Hell yes. The results support what I say though.

Again, no disrespect to the 6.5 G but it is what it is. The 6.8SPC doesnt gain much velocity after 16"-18", and the BC sucks, hence the shorter range part. The opposite is the case for the Grendel, it benefits from a longer barrel, not short ones. IMHO it would be disrespectful and silly to not have a long barrel on a grendel. But is the heavier and longer long range gun more ideal for big game that likely wont be shot at 400-600yds anyways? Thats up to you.

KillZone45
12-03-2009, 1:18 AM
I wanna know where to get 6.5 Grendel ammo!!!

Jpach
12-03-2009, 1:24 AM
OP, my bad taking this thread off track. I wont return unless if I HAVE to. Hopefully for non-6.8 reasons.

dachan
12-03-2009, 2:46 AM
You are couple days late, looks like this one may be sold, but you may want to put yourself second in line:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=240064&highlight=grendel

No, I think it's still available. Good seller, seems to be exactly what you're looking for:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=240064

Flux Capacitor
12-03-2009, 3:29 PM
I wanna know where to get 6.5 Grendel ammo!!!

Form it from 7.62x39 brass and stick a 6.5 in it

KillZone45
12-03-2009, 5:19 PM
Form it from 7.62x39 brass and stick a 6.5 in it

Ok so pretty much you have to load it your self, gotcha. Just doing research for the day I buy my Black gun I want to be prepared. Going to go with the Addax Tactical GPU in 6.5 Grendel, but looked around for ammo and didnt find any, was starting to think I would just build an AR-10 but kinda think that .308 is over kill at close range, and its expensive but I would be able to find it. Once again thanks!!!

cornholio1
12-03-2009, 8:52 PM
Ok so pretty much you have to load it your self, gotcha. Just doing research for the day I buy my Black gun I want to be prepared. Going to go with the Addax Tactical GPU in 6.5 Grendel, but looked around for ammo and didnt find any, was starting to think I would just build an AR-10 but kinda think that .308 is over kill at close range, and its expensive but I would be able to find it. Once again thanks!!!

You can factory ammo as well. Word is Hornady will be making it. Wolf makes it now

C.G.
12-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Word is Hornady will be making it. Wolf makes it now

Yup, it is listed on Hornady's website.

Gblast
12-30-2009, 5:06 PM
Hello,

I have an Alexander Arms 16" upper that I may be willing to part with for the right price. It's basically brand new. I took to the range once after I bought it. It may have 20 rounds through it at the most.

Let me know if your still looking.

Gblast