View Full Version : Speaking of 80% lowers.....

11-29-2009, 2:05 PM
I have two noob questions about the unfinished lowers. One: If I find a profesional gunsmith to finish it out (the not simple stuff, I can drill a straight forward hole just fine) will I have to fill out any paperwork to register it? Secondly, if a paid professional in my area can do it where would be a good place to look for one? Or if I can find one in state will it be shipable through the mail with no FFL.

11-29-2009, 2:24 PM
If you have a gunsmith, or anyone for that matter, do any additional work to it, then the person who did the work is now manufacturing it, even if it's not complete when they are done. Since they would be doing the work for you, they would not be building it for personal use, and they would be guilty of manufacturing a firearm without a license. Once they gave it back to you, you would both be comitting additional crimes as you would be illegally in posession of a firearm and you both would have illegally transfered a firearm.

I think you need to go read further into the right and wrong things to do with homebuilt firearms. It's NOT something your average joe should do.

ETA: After re-reading my post, I realized it sounds very harsh. Please don't take it that way. What I am trying to convey is that homebuilt firearms tread into FEDERAL territory. This isn't something like having high-cap mag parts at your house 'just in case X happens' or for when you got out of state. This is the area where doing something the wrong way, in the wrong order, or just asking someone for help with something could end you in jail for a long time and losing all your rights. It's NOT something to be taken lightly because the ATF does like to go after people.

It should be approached like you're going to court and you have all your I's crossed and T's dotted before stepping foot into it; not like a gunshop "cool I think I'll try that..." type of thing.

11-29-2009, 4:00 PM
I've never actually looked into hiring someone to complete an 80% lower, but chances are even if you did it it would probably come out to the same price as what you could get a factory build nowadays.

Like NEO stated above, they would be manufacturing a firearm which would require paperwork. Most people go the 80% route to avoid paperwork on a firearm and for the experience of "DIY" you seem to be going against both of those reasons. So I'm just curious as to why you would want to go this route.