PDA

View Full Version : Are there any forms to fill out for an intrafamily long gun transfer?

AlexBreya
11-29-2009, 12:00 PM
Hey guys,

My dad wants to give me 5 long guns for my 18th birthday. None are AWs and were all bought through CA FFLs. I've been researching how to do it, and all I can find is the form for intrafamily pistol transfers and a form about long rifle ownership. If I'm just trying to have these guns registered under my name, what do I need to do? I would like to assume that its not actually going to be $19 per rifle since it says its $19 for 1 or more hand guns. So do I need to fill out a form, or do I need to deal with an FFL?

Thanks

Quiet
11-29-2009, 12:10 PM
In CA, long guns (except, assault weapons & NFA firearms) are not registered.

Sounds like your dad is a CA resident, so all that is needed is, he gives you the long guns and you enjoy them.

AlexBreya
11-29-2009, 12:18 PM

Sounds like your dad is a CA resident, so all that is needed is, he gives you the long guns and you enjoy them.

Oh, well thats much easier then I had anticipated. Thanks

Jpach
11-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Yep, not that its necessary but say, "I, AlexBreya, hereby claim these rifles as my own. Tada!" You are GTG brotha.

zombieflanders
11-29-2009, 6:04 PM
I went through a immilar thing when my pops passed away. I contacted the doj to find out what to do. Nothing, they said. Viola, zombieflanders added 32 long guns to his collection, just like that!

Z28
11-29-2009, 6:55 PM

If he is not, would he need to register them?

Mssr. Eleganté
11-29-2009, 7:14 PM
If he is not, would he need to register them?

If your parent is still alive and is not a resident of California (but you are) and they want to give you a firearm, the transfer needs to go through an FFL to comply with Federal law. The process of going through the FFL in California would register any handguns to you. The process of going through an FFL does not register long guns in California.