PDA

View Full Version : Advice for my iMac screen

deldgeetar
11-29-2009, 3:52 AM
I happen to be one of the unlucky owners of the late 2006-early 2007 iMacs with the faulty screens. Vertical lines just started appearing on the screen earlier this year, at which point I found out this is a problem with this computer. I'm now up to 12 lines and need to do something about this. My question is this: is it cheaper to somehow run another external screen, or would it be more cost effective to get a new screen for the iMac. I've had this computer almost 3 years and it has been awesome in every way except for this damn screen! I am a PC man and know nothing about Macs!

Casual_Shooter
11-29-2009, 8:44 AM
I've heard about problems on the powerbook screens before that sound very similar to what you're describing.

Unfortunately, in the PB's case, the problem is in the video section of the motherboard- so a motherboard replacement is the only cure.

bak
11-29-2009, 9:00 AM
if you have applecare it is still covered, if under 3 years, so take it in. If not it may cost you, but either way I'd take it into an apple store to have them check.

deldgeetar
11-29-2009, 4:35 PM
I don't have Applecare; I guess I'm just going to have to take it in. I'm really hoping it isn't connected to the logic board. I read somewhere that logic board and screen replacement would run $765 and $100 installation.

Rivers
11-29-2009, 5:21 PM
I've had instances where Apple would extend the warranty terms to repair or cover known hardware issues. One case was when a power supply for a flat-screen iMac went bad outside of the warranty. Because that model had a history of power supply failures and the serial number of my client's iMac was within that range of affected iMacs, Apple covered the repair for free.

I would take your iMac to an Apple Store first and demonstrate the issue to them. If they do not give you a satisfactory response, do some research about the affected serial numbers for this issue. Google is your friend. Then, if necessary, call AppleCare's 800 number and be assertive. Do NOT be rude or a jerk. Just be firm, demonstrate to them your knowledge of this problem and the affected computers, and ask to elevate your call to the supervisor. Of course, this method is how I deal with any manufacturer's warranty or repair issue, and it's been very effective.

BTW, stuff like this happens, even more often with other computers than Apple. Consumer Reports has the statistics. But, no matter which computer or electronic device you buy, GET THE EXTENDED WARRANTY! For me, that's a standard part of any purchase.

Rivers
11-29-2009, 5:28 PM
One last item, VERY CRITICAL: BACK UP YOUR HARD DRIVE!!! One of the typical attempts to repair any Mac is to wipe the drive and reinstall the OS. Occasionally that actually fixes what appears to be a hardware issue. But most often, if you did not back up your drive before you brought it in, your files get wiped out. If you're using OS 10.5 or 10.6, you can get a basic USB drive and use Apple's included Time Machine software to handle the backup and restore using the built-in utility Migration Assistant to restore from a Time Machine backup.

If you boot from a bootable CD or DVD (restart, holding down C key with disc in the drive), and the problem persists, it's hardware.

JDay
11-29-2009, 6:35 PM
I don't have Applecare; I guess I'm just going to have to take it in. I'm really hoping it isn't connected to the logic board. I read somewhere that logic board and screen replacement would run $765 and $100 installation.

It is the logic board, the iMac is made using laptop components. There was a recall on iMacs a while back but they are no longer honoring it.

http://mybiggestcomplaint.com/apple-customer-service/897/

Apple has terrible customer service when it comes to their computers.

BB63Squid
11-30-2009, 6:46 PM
It is the logic board, the iMac is made using laptop components. There was a recall on iMacs a while back but they are no longer honoring it.

http://mybiggestcomplaint.com/apple-customer-service/897/

Apple has terrible customer service when it comes to their computers.

Hmm..oddly enough my experience has been the exact opposite. Of all the servers I support (HP Proliant and BL460 & 480's, IBM X336 and X3550's, Apple Xserves) Apple has been the easiest and most knowledgeable with IBM in second and HP last.

Apple will verify my troubleshooting steps and ship the part out (in two cases within four hours) followed by a tech calling to ask when I am free to do the parts swap.

IBM will verify my steps and sometimes suggest one other step even though I have a history of the same issue breaking. Then the ask for the FRU and ship it out.

HP by far has been the worst and is indignant that I would suggest that their equipment even breaks. They will re-trace ALL my troubleshooting steps, ask me to swap with a another functioning server then want a 2nd tier tech to discuss. They won't ship out parts unless I give them my credit card even though the system is under warranty.

YMMV

jarhead995
11-30-2009, 6:53 PM
apple will charge you like 800 for a new screen cause theyre gay and another 3rd party with charge you around 300+ just get an external monitor, an hd one for like 120 bucks.

radioed22
11-30-2009, 9:33 PM
Check out iFixit.com

deldgeetar
11-30-2009, 11:33 PM
apple will charge you like 800 for a new screen cause theyre gay and another 3rd party with charge you around 300+ just get an external monitor, an hd one for like 120 bucks.

Any recommendations on monitors?

lazyworm
11-30-2009, 11:44 PM
Any recommendations on monitors?

I'm very happy with Dell refurb LCDs. Bought ~15 for work and personal
use over the last year or so. Currently has 20" for $129, 24" for $199.
Goto dell.com, scroll all the way down and look for "Dell Outlet"

JDay
12-01-2009, 2:45 PM
Hmm..oddly enough my experience has been the exact opposite. Of all the servers I support (HP Proliant and BL460 & 480's, IBM X336 and X3550's, Apple Xserves) Apple has been the easiest and most knowledgeable with IBM in second and HP last.

Apple will verify my troubleshooting steps and ship the part out (in two cases within four hours) followed by a tech calling to ask when I am free to do the parts swap.

You're comparing support for a server to support for an iMac... those products aren't even in the same price range.

JDay
12-01-2009, 2:47 PM

Its not the screen that is bad, its the video controller on the logic board.

sfwdiy
12-01-2009, 3:37 PM
Its not the screen that is bad, its the video controller on the logic board.

Not necessarily. Sometimes the LCDs go bad on those. That particular iMac didn't use laptop parts, either.

--B

Technical Ted
12-01-2009, 3:42 PM
Never been a fan of the iMac's "All-in-one" design philosphy.

JDay
12-01-2009, 4:16 PM
Not necessarily. Sometimes the LCDs go bad on those. That particular iMac didn't use laptop parts, either.

--B

Lines on the screen is not a sign of a broken LCD, its a sign of a broken video card.

sfwdiy
12-04-2009, 2:27 PM
Lines on the screen is not a sign of a broken LCD, its a sign of a broken video card.

Depends on the lines. I've seen the LCDs on those go bad like that before. Usually they have vertical lines of a solid color, red or green is most common. I couldn't tell you for sure if it's the LCD without looking at it.

--B

Rivers
12-04-2009, 9:52 PM
Try connecting a known-good DVI monitor to the iMac. If that works without issue, it's likely the integral display on the iMac that's messing up. If not, it's the video card.