PDA

View Full Version : Saiga and hunting?

SixPointEight
11-28-2009, 8:08 PM
I searched and paged through some of the forums about the saiga, and didn't see much talk about using it for hunting. A few posts here and there but not a lot.

Here's my situation, early next year I'll be in the market for an entry level hunting gun, doesn't need to be exceptionally accurate, since I know that at this point most guns are more accurate than I am. But I do want to practice a lot, so I figure a good hunting round is the .308, and the semi-auto will take out some of the recoil so I can shoot it a lot.

I know the saiga's come in other calibers that are cheaper to shoot, but the .308 has more takedown power on bigger game. I'm considering going deer hunting soon, and I think the .308 is a good round for that, plus the semi-auto gives me a better chance for a follow-up shot should I need it than a bolt gun would. So basically what I'm asking is: Is the saiga a good hunting gun?

SJgunguy24
11-28-2009, 8:15 PM
What do you expect to go after? Whats gonna be your max range for a shot?
Optics? How many rounds can you have in a mag for the animal you hunting and area?
Condor area?
Throw some info and i'll help you out. Me I like the 7.62X39 for an all around gun. Pigs, deer, zombies.

TurboAR
11-28-2009, 8:20 PM
If it Bleeds, it can be Killed.

SixPointEight
11-28-2009, 8:42 PM
What do you expect to go after? Whats gonna be your max range for a shot?
Optics? How many rounds can you have in a mag for the animal you hunting and area?
Condor area?
Throw some info and i'll help you out. Me I like the 7.62X39 for an all around gun. Pigs, deer, zombies.

Max range for a shot is probably no more than...300 yards. More than that and I'd be hard pressed to hit what I'm aiming for. Maybe when I get better, longer distance, but at that point I may also buy a Rem700.

Optics, I would definitely run something. Possibly a red dot or a 3x/4x scope.

As far as animals, I'm not sure. I know that people in the area hunt deer, and turkey, but I have a shotgun for that. Hogs seem a little dangerous for a new guy with no experienced people to go with(yet).

Zombies are fun to shoot at, but I have that mossberg for HD, but since my only other gun is a mosin, this would be my default SHTF gun too.

omgwtfbbq
11-28-2009, 8:52 PM
As previously stated, it really depends on what you're going after. I know a guy that uses the 7.62x39 to hunt pigs and loves it. and I'm sure you can get a barrel to outfit it for deer. As far as the hunting application goes, the issue I've heard most people have is the optics mounting system that bolts down to side of the receiver like an AK would. I personally don't see a problem with it, but some guys have a peeve about it.

I think it could be a decent investment. I'm looking into to snagging one come tax return time, but i'm looking at it for a tactical carbine build. I was actually at a gun show in Yuba City, CA (Sutter County, just north of Sacramento) just this morning and there were vendors letting them go for $370 for the .223 and 7.62x39s. That's pretty hard to beat for a entry level carbine.

supermario
11-28-2009, 8:54 PM
I think a Saiga in 308 would be a good choice for an all around hunting rifle. Most shots you take would be under 300yards anyways. The Saiga is durable, simple and can take a beating while out hunting. My 308 saiga is accurate enough for hunting. I wouldnt take a 500yd shot but most people would hesitate taking a shot like that even with a scoped bolt action. Just make sure you follow the rules and regs for hunting in your area. In California, you can use 10rnds and under in a centerfire rifle for deer, pig etc. If your going to use a Saiga, just leave it in OEM configuration, so you can use the detachable mags and keep it simple. One other point for a 308 is that you probably will find a large selection of hunting ammo, especially non lead ammo if your gonna hunt in condor range.

SixPointEight
11-28-2009, 9:05 PM
I think a Saiga in 308 would be a good choice for an all around hunting rifle. Most shots you take would be under 300yards anyways. The Saiga is durable, simple and can take a beating while out hunting. My 308 saiga is accurate enough for hunting. I wouldnt take a 500yd shot but most people would hesitate taking a shot like that even with a scoped bolt action. Just make sure you follow the rules and regs for hunting in your area. In California, you can use 10rnds and under in a centerfire rifle for deer, pig etc. If your going to use a Saiga, just leave it in OEM configuration, so you can use the detachable mags and keep it simple. One other point for a 308 is that you probably will find a large selection of hunting ammo, especially non lead ammo if your gonna hunt in condor range.

Sweet on the 10rds part. The stock mag is apparently easy to trim to up to 10rds so I could just pick up a few of those. I would be mega-iffy on taking a 500yd shot no matter what I was shooting. I'll have to check on the condor range, but I don't think the hunting places near here are anyways.

supermario
11-28-2009, 9:10 PM
Sweet on the 10rds part. The stock mag is apparently easy to trim to up to 10rds so I could just pick up a few of those. I would be mega-iffy on taking a 500yd shot no matter what I was shooting. I'll have to check on the condor range, but I don't think the hunting places near here are anyways.

Surefire makes really nice 10rn mags for the 308. Probably cost you $35.
I really think you dont even need the 10rounders either.

Super Spy
11-28-2009, 9:15 PM
Does anyone make a lead free hunting load in 7.62 x 39? I know this exists in most common hunting calibers, but never saw it for x39 before.

SixPointEight
11-28-2009, 9:16 PM
wow the .308 rifles are notable more expensive than the 7.62 and 5.45 ones. That's unfortunate.

Is there a big difference in effectiveness between the x39 and the .308? I've heard a lot about the flatter trajectory of the .308 making it an overall more accurate round, which is ideal hear.

Bah I'm just being cheap, I should probably stay with the .308
Does anyone make a lead free hunting load in 7.62 x 39? I know this exists in most common hunting calibers, but never saw it for x39 before.
That's another consideration I hadn't thought of.

wksun88
11-28-2009, 9:37 PM
I just bought a saiga 308 with a 21 inch barrel and fitted it with a 6x POSP scope. It looks badass but so far I've only been able to shoot a few rounds through it.
So far so good :)
and yes I plan to go hunting with this, can't wait!
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs056.snc3/14355_808910260224_3319245_46231983_5488784_n.jpg
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs056.snc3/14355_808910245254_3319245_46231982_5331052_n.jpg

Cokebottle
11-28-2009, 10:25 PM
Is there a big difference in effectiveness between the x39 and the .308? I've heard a lot about the flatter trajectory of the .308 making it an overall more accurate round, which is ideal hear.
More powder = higher velocity = more distance over a given "drop".
It's basic physics. The bullet will drop about 3ft for every 1/2 second it is airborne.
The .308 is a 7.62x51, so it will have a "flatter" trajectory simply because it is moving faster than a 7.62x39... about 2800f/s compared to about 2300f/s at the muzzle.
Ignoring deceleration from drag, this would give a drop of about 3ft over 500 yards compared to 3ft over 400 yards. In reality, those distances are going to be shorter because the bullet will begin to slow down as soon as it is fired.

SJgunguy24
11-28-2009, 11:05 PM
I don't plan to hunt in a condor zone. I think the 7.62X39 is perfect for most Cali hunting unless your going for Big Horn Sheep. Need long legs for that.
You could roll your own for a lead free hunting round. I'm comfortable with my Saigas out to 500 or so.
I think the 762 is the perfect hog killer. Quick second and 3rd shots are a must if they charge.

SixPointEight
11-28-2009, 11:13 PM
I just bought a saiga 308 with a 21 inch barrel and fitted it with a 6x POSP scope. It looks badass but so far I've only been able to shoot a few rounds through it.
So far so good :)
and yes I plan to go hunting with this, can't wait!

That just makes me want one even more. How much did you pay for that?

More powder = higher velocity = more distance over a given "drop".
It's basic physics. The bullet will drop about 3ft for every 1/2 second it is airborne.
The .308 is a 7.62x51, so it will have a "flatter" trajectory simply because it is moving faster than a 7.62x39... about 2800f/s compared to about 2300f/s at the muzzle.
Ignoring deceleration from drag, this would give a drop of about 3ft over 500 yards compared to 3ft over 400 yards. In reality, those distances are going to be shorter because the bullet will begin to slow down as soon as it is fired.
That all makes sense, plus the x51 is going to hold more impact energy out to that distance too.

killshot44
11-29-2009, 11:03 AM
Did you see Kern from Arlington Firearms at that show? He's selling NIB Saiga's in .223, 7.62 and .308. Got mine from him for $375.

If I were you (and I'm not) I would skip the Saiga and get the Rem 700. I love my Saiga, have even used it on Boar and it works fine. But I have had many guns.

For hunting you simply cannot beat the Rem 700 for the price/quality. Many more optics options without messing with side-mounts, can get it chambered in more options (.243, .270 etc) Get the Saiga just for fun, if you have the dough.

I realize I'm opening myself up here on a AK/AR oriented site but - If your #1 use for the new gun is hunting, not just plinking or tacticool, you can do better than a Saiga. And you can't do better for the money than the Rem 700.

pullnshoot25
11-29-2009, 11:07 AM
Did you see Kern from Arlington Firearms at that show? He's selling NIB Saiga's in .223, 7.62 and .308. Got mine from him for $375.

If I were you (and I'm not) I would skip the Saiga and get the Rem 700. I love my Saiga, have even used it on Boar and it works fine. But I have had many guns.

For hunting you simply cannot beat the Rem 700 for the price/quality. Many more optics options without messing with side-mounts, can get it chambered in more options (.243, .270 etc) Get the Saiga just for fun, if you have the dough.

I realize I'm opening myself up here on a AK/AR oriented site but - If your #1 use for the new gun is hunting, not just plinking or tacticool, you can do better than a Saiga. And you can't do better for the money than the Rem 700.

I know wksun88, his gun is an all-rounder.

I think the Saiga is a perfectly acceptable hunting weapon. I need to get more familiar with my own 5.45x39 but I am confident that a Saiga in 7.62x39 is more than sufficient for most Cali hunting purposes.

derwiking
11-29-2009, 11:17 AM
A Saiga in .308 is a fine swine rifle. I have two rifles that I use for hunting- my Rem 700 in .270 and my .308 Saiga. I can't just shill for one, honestly, you need both. :43: However, +1 on the Saiga though. These rifles just aren't complimented enough. I absolutely love mine, it's a tac-driver and for it's affordability I would suggest it for a swine rifle if you can't pony up for that Remmy.

SixPointEight
11-29-2009, 11:18 AM

Well this isn't going to be primarily for hunting. It's gonna be a fun gun that is an optional hunter. Really looking at my next gun being a semi-auto. I was thinking about an AR, but for the extra price it really isn't a hunter, so I do plan on getting one, but not just yet

derwiking
11-29-2009, 11:24 AM
If that is the case, grab the Saiga after all then. Great fun gun and it'll do you fine as a hunter. Stick to x39 or x51, the .223 cartridge isn't going to get you far with most game past coyotes, but every one has their opinion on that so I won't tread on the subject :)

tombinghamthegreat
11-29-2009, 12:09 PM
Saiga in 308 should be effective for whatever your hunting though 7.62x39 should be powerful enough.

SixPointEight
11-29-2009, 9:11 PM
Saiga in 308 should be effective for whatever your hunting though 7.62x39 should be powerful enough.

Seems like I have a dilemma then. The rifle and ammo for x39 is cheaper, though from what I hear not as accurate. Is the difference big enough make .308 a notably better hunting round? If I get the 21" barrel will the x39 be a reliable hitter out to 300ish yards?

SJgunguy24
11-29-2009, 10:12 PM
Seems like I have a dilemma then. The rifle and ammo for x39 is cheaper, though from what I hear not as accurate. Is the difference big enough make .308 a notably better hunting round? If I get the 21" barrel will the x39 be a reliable hitter out to 300ish yards?

If you do your part, the gun can do it. I've shot my 16" out to 500+ yards.
I changed to better sights, but yes the Saiga 7.62X39 will get the job done.

SixPointEight
11-29-2009, 10:15 PM
If you do your part, the gun can do it. I've shot my 16" out to 500+ yards.
I changed to better sights, but yes the Saiga 7.62X39 will get the job done.

It'd be getting a sight of some kind. Guess for prices sake I may be going x39. Can always get a Rem700 in a better hunting caliber later.

SJgunguy24
11-29-2009, 10:24 PM
It'd be getting a sight of some kind. Guess for prices sake I may be going x39. Can always get a Rem700 in a better hunting caliber later.

Where and what do you plan on hunting?
I upgraded my irons, no glass. I'll keep them in an 18" circle at 500yards

wksun88
11-29-2009, 10:39 PM
That just makes me want one even more. How much did you pay for that?

That all makes sense, plus the x51 is going to hold more impact energy out to that distance too.

I bought the saiga 308 from ddsranch for 519, with shipping it was like 540.
Then the DROS and transfer fee was 60 bucks
So the rifle out the door was 600.
By the way I have a saiga in 7.62x39 also, and I bought this saiga just so I could call it my designated marksman rifle :)
A 7.62x39 saiga will run you a bit less. Last time I checked they were in the range of 350-380 depending on where you get it. You will not be disappointed with a saiga, it is pretty well built, solid and reliable :)