PDA

View Full Version : shaved fsb under DD omega?

vertexspirit21
11-28-2009, 7:27 PM
hey guys, was wondering if anyone had a shaved fsb under a 9" DD omega handguard ... was reading around and some people said it wouldn't fit, others say its possible. anyone care to shed some light/info/suggestions? this is the last step in my first AR build, thanks for your help guys.

blackrifle242
11-28-2009, 7:34 PM
I would just take it off and install a low pro gas block.

jumbopanda
11-28-2009, 7:47 PM
DD Omega rails have very very little space between them and the barrel. If you want something that will most certainly accomodate a gas block underneath it, look into the VTac/JP tubes.

vertexspirit21
11-28-2009, 8:10 PM
i'd love to take the fsb off but there is a permanent flash hider on the 14.5" barrel...i'd prefer to have a folding front sight for future use with optics.

aplinker
11-28-2009, 8:16 PM
i'd love to take the fsb off but there is a permanent flash hider on the 14.5" barrel...i'd prefer to have a folding front sight for future use with optics.

The only optics I'm bothered by a fixed FSB are the 1.5-3X range. Beyond that, it disappears. At 1X, the FSB is no distraction to me (aimpoint) as with lower-1/3 co-witness you just hover the dot above it.

Jeffy
11-28-2009, 9:30 PM
hey guys, was wondering if anyone had a shaved fsb under a 9" DD omega handguard ... was reading around and some people said it wouldn't fit, others say its possible. anyone care to shed some light/info/suggestions? this is the last step in my first AR build, thanks for your help guys.
Here's a few threads where this guy has done several:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=476780&postcount=11
http://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=213775&postcount=3
http://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=219415&postcount=17

You'd be better off getting the FH removed, gas block swapped in then a new rail put on then have to cut, grind and sand the FSB while still on the barrel.

vertexspirit21
11-29-2009, 2:32 PM
hmmm...i guess ill just get the 7" Omega and call it a day... thanks for the input guys :)

Jim_KT
11-29-2009, 2:39 PM
^^^^^^

If you do, buy it from Brownells!

Arteel
11-29-2009, 2:45 PM
PM Jicko. IIRC he shaved his FSB and has a 9" Omega.

vertexspirit21
12-01-2009, 4:17 PM
ordered from brownells the other day...now its out of stock on backorder...:banghead:

mltrading
12-01-2009, 6:01 PM
Basically, there are no problems to chop an fsb to make it underneath the DD Omega. At least it's not a problem to me. Of course the DD low-profile gas block is the best choice for DD rails.

We have several Omega 7.0 in both black and FDE. PM me if interested. Or you like to chop your FSB, PM me, too.

CHS
12-01-2009, 7:06 PM
ordered from brownells the other day...now its out of stock on backorder...:banghead:

In stock at Riflegear.com

tomd1584
12-01-2009, 7:12 PM
Basically, there are no problems to chop an fsb to make it underneath the DD Omega. At least it's not a problem to me. Of course the DD low-profile gas block is the best choice for DD rails.

We have several Omega 7.0 in both black and FDE. PM me if interested. Or you like to chop your FSB, PM me, too.

Does the DD low pro gas block fit under the Omega rails?

CHS
12-01-2009, 7:50 PM
Does the DD low pro gas block fit under the Omega rails?

Yes. It's one of the very few gas blocks what WILL work.

CMMG micro will work, as will the VLTOR's.

The nice thing about the DD is that it will cover up any barrel scarring from removing a FSB.

Jicko
12-27-2009, 12:56 PM
For the record, DD low profile gas block DO NOT fit inside DD's omega!

Jicko
12-27-2009, 12:56 PM
For the record, DD low profile gas block DO NOT fit inside DD's omega!

And, I do have a 14.5" Noveske upper, chopped/cut/shaved/grinded FSB, w/ a DD omega 9"

tomd1584
12-27-2009, 1:02 PM
I didnt think it did...THanks Jicko for clarifying.

Did you shave down your FSB yourself? I'd like to have mine done and put either a 9" or 12" Omega

Did you do it with the FSB still on the barrel? I have a perm. atttached FH on my barrel.

Thanks,

Tom

Jicko
12-27-2009, 5:16 PM
I didnt think it did...THanks Jicko for clarifying.

Did you shave down your FSB yourself? I'd like to have mine done and put either a 9" or 12" Omega

Did you do it with the FSB still on the barrel? I have a perm. atttached FH on my barrel.

Thanks,

Tom

I did it ON the barrel since i have a perm AAC Black out flash-hider on my Noveske barrel.

I first use the dremel cut-wheel and a heck saw to cut off the triangle part, and then use THIS tool to "grind" it down (don't try to trim it with the cut-wheel, the wheel may break and broken pieces will fly everywhere!)
http://images47.fotki.com/v422/photos/6/26966/8284178/dremel-vi.jpg

WEAR EYE PROTECTION!!!

After I grind it all down, and make sure it fits underneath my 9" omega without touch the rail (making it AR-FF, pseudo-ly), I paint all the metal part with "Super Black FLAT" touchup pen. Then the whole FSB/gas-block will look "factory".
http://www.sinclairintl.com/images/large/02-15102_a-l.jpg

This is NOT a simple job, took me a whole week. But the final result, is superb. I am heading out for a b-day dinner, I will try to take some and post some pictures later!

PS. IF you DO NOT have a perm muzzle attachment, PLEASE don't try to do this to save a few dollars, NOT really worth it....