PDA

View Full Version : Legal Pistol Grip on Mini-14

Rastoff
11-28-2009, 6:47 PM
I know this has been discussed here before. I did a search and couldn't find a specific answer to this question. Maybe I'm 'search challenged'.:o

Anyway, I'd like to put a pistol grip on my Mini-14. Am I correct in that it's legal as long as I need a tool to remove the magazine?

I've been considering creating a new mag release that will require a tool to operate it. I'm fairly certain that this will make it legal to put a pistol grip stock on it.

Thoughts?

blackrifle242
11-28-2009, 6:54 PM
If you could create a mag lock for it then it would be legal to install any of the "evil features". I have the same thing going on with an M1A. I want to put a Sage EBR stock on it but I would have to install a mag lock and then I couldn't use my 20 Rd mags that I have saved up. I don't think that it's a good trade to take a legal rifle that accepts det. mags and converting it.

Tumerboy
11-28-2009, 6:57 PM
and it meets the OAL and barrel length requirements (i.e. don't put a pistol grip + folding stock on there without some other work)

IrishPirate
11-28-2009, 7:02 PM
yeah you'd be legal....but why go through the hassle? Bullet Buttons are like $20 for Mini-14's. Simple, easy, done.

IsaacGlass
11-28-2009, 7:45 PM
If you could create a mag lock for it then it would be legal to install any of the "evil features". I have the same thing going on with an M1A. I want to put a Sage EBR stock on it but I would have to install a mag lock and then I couldn't use my 20 Rd mags that I have saved up. I don't think that it's a good trade to take a legal rifle that accepts det. mags and converting it.

You might want to recheck the flow chart. From what I understand, anytime there's a BB or mag lock device in place = 10 round magazine.

SJgunguy24
11-28-2009, 7:48 PM
You might want to recheck the flow chart. From what I understand, anytime there's a BB or mag lock device in place = 10 round magazine.

Mag lock ten or less.
Featureless, no lock.......30's all day long

sytfu_RR
11-28-2009, 7:53 PM

He said he " COULD NOT " use his 20rd mags he has saved up. I see nothing wrong with what was said.
Maglock = Evil Features ( 10 rd limit as long as OAL is met )
No Maglock = Featureless ( High cap mags GTG )

IsaacGlass
11-28-2009, 8:20 PM
Yup, my bad misread blackrifle242 statement.

Seesm
11-28-2009, 9:02 PM
Making a mag lock from the std mag release is not hard at all... All easy and cool makes it look sick but no more 15-20's-30's or 40's anymore... That is why I keep my std stock on it even though I want a pistol grip on my Mini 14.

Funny I think the law makers think your more deadly with a pistol grip... Funny huh...?

Cokebottle
11-28-2009, 9:09 PM
Just keep in mind if designing your own maglock that a "cover" or "setscrew" isn't good enough.

One of the early AR locks was a setscrew that had to be backed out... problem was, once it was backed out, it did not have to be tightened again in order to fire the weapon. As soon as the screw was loosened, the gun could again accept a detachable mag.

By the same token, a cover over the release that pivots out of the way after removing a screw would be a similar idea (and problem).
Now, a cover with a small hole drilled in it so that you could not press the release without a tool would be GTG.

Requiem
11-28-2009, 9:19 PM
has anyone made one for the M14's yet? I remember a few threads involving a piece of hackasaw blade slipped in between the mag release latch on the trigger group which was effective and I used it on my Socom, but I'm wondering if there have been any new developments?

Rastoff
11-28-2009, 9:23 PM
yeah you'd be legal....but why go through the hassle? Bullet Buttons are like $20 for Mini-14's. Simple, easy, done.
There's a Bullet Button for a Mini-14? I've never seen one. Where can I get it?

Am I understanding you guys correctly, if I have some sort of mag lock, I can use mags with >10 rounds?

My ignorance abounds on this subject.

Cokebottle
11-28-2009, 9:27 PM
Am I understanding you guys correctly, if I have some sort of mag lock, I can use mags with >10 rounds?
No!!!

A locking mag limits you to no more than 10 rounds.
A detachable mag is legal with 20, 30, 40, or drums... as long as you owned the mags prior to the ban.

chsk9
11-28-2009, 9:35 PM
I have owned and shot mini's since 1987 and there has never been a moment (well... OK, a brief moment watching the A-Team...) when I wanted a pistol grip for my mini...

Seesm
11-28-2009, 9:39 PM
Just keep in mind if designing your own maglock that a "cover" or "setscrew" isn't good enough.

One of the early AR locks was a setscrew that had to be backed out... problem was, once it was backed out, it did not have to be tightened again in order to fire the weapon. As soon as the screw was loosened, the gun could again accept a detachable mag.

By the same token, a cover over the release that pivots out of the way after removing a screw would be a similar idea (and problem).
Now, a cover with a small hole drilled in it so that you could not press the release without a tool would be GTG.

No set screws... Easy mod. Easier than all these.

I have owned and shot mini's since 1987 and there has never been a moment (well... OK, a brief moment watching the A-Team...) when I wanted a pistol grip for my mini...

Hahha soo when I wanted one as well... But sometimes still do want it.

Rastoff
03-19-2010, 8:57 PM
Here is the Mag Lock built by Seesm. It is a well made device and does exactly what I want it to do.

Below are some pics of the device installed. Note that I just put this on my Mini. In its current configuration it doesn't need the lock. However, I wanted to put a pistol grip stock on and this will allow me to do that and still be legal in CA.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa253/Rastoff/Mini-14/BulletButton.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa253/Rastoff/Mini-14/BulletButtonbottom.jpg

Caiden07
03-19-2010, 9:08 PM
That's a much better mag lock, I saw a different design they cut flush the mag lever this looks cleaner. Does Seesm sale this mag lock? How much are they if he does?

Seesm
03-20-2010, 9:35 PM
I do not want to clog Rastoff's thread but I had been working on doing something for the Minis for awhile but he really motivated me to get it done finally. Thanks Rastoff!! This only take a minute to install... I have directions to go along with it. It will be sold via Calguns.net only untill my site defenseindustries.us is done. That will be a little while but I am trying to figure a name for it. From what I understand the name "bullet button" may be trademarked by someone is this true? Should I call it just a "mag lock" ? Not really sure but it works and follows the letter of the law to ensure your within complience. Please PM with any questions... Still working on what to charge for this. I am thinking $34.95 shipped. $29.95 face to face I think that is fair... Any ideas folks?
Btw that "MAY" include a 6mm tap which is needed to install onto your mini. But still sourcing that out for a cheap tap.

Seesm
03-31-2010, 11:36 PM
Ahhh so let's bump this till I get a pic from someone with my mag lock on a EVIL rifle ok? :)

Jpach
03-31-2010, 11:40 PM
Seesm. This is SICK! Now Im gonna have to buy a PG stock. You should make one for M1As too.

Rastoff
04-01-2010, 6:57 AM
Ahhh so let's bump this till I get a pic from someone with my mag lock on a EVIL rifle ok? :)
Give me a little time. I could put my target stock on, but it doesn't look evil enough.

I'm thinking I want the ATI stock, but I haven't ordered it yet.

Seesm
04-03-2010, 7:00 PM
Yeah that Ati is what the strike force that one is sweet... I want one too...

Seesm
04-04-2010, 3:11 PM
Hey if anyone has a cheap ATI strikeforce stock I need it to take pics and such to show it off to us fellow Cal Gunners...

Seesm
04-06-2010, 12:07 PM
anyone?

Carsgunsandchics
04-06-2010, 1:52 PM
Ditto for a M1a one. Pretty Please.

Seesm
04-08-2010, 1:24 AM
lets get together I wll figure sometime out but I need to peek at your rifle at a minimum... maybe take some pictures and then meet up soon after I get one sample done. PM me.

Carsgunsandchics
04-08-2010, 5:56 AM
If needed for measurements etc. I live in Sac and could bring up my M1A to you.

Seesm
04-08-2010, 10:04 AM
That would be very cool let's try to get together... Let me know when.

Carsgunsandchics
04-08-2010, 4:43 PM
pm'd ya Give me a call when you get a chance.

Seesm
04-14-2010, 8:31 AM
I am still looking for said evil looking mini stock to photo with the mag lock... Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Seesm
04-17-2010, 11:20 PM
Anyone?

Seesm
04-29-2010, 9:39 PM
Rubber baby bumper cars...

Carsgunsandchics
04-30-2010, 5:40 AM
I believe everyone that had one before the ban burned them to protect themselves from state. But I could be wrong.

dfletcher
04-30-2010, 8:26 AM
Just a casual observation - I mean this very lightly, nothing serious. It's Friday and a slow work day, nice weather .... :)

This putting maglocks on guns that (as originally configured) don't legally require them reminds me of one of the themes of the movie "Bridge on the River Kwai". Basically, the British soldiers are beaten, tortured and routinely killed, working in miserable conditions, to build a bridge for the Japanese army in Siam to help the Japanese war effort. When Allied commandos arrive to blow up the bridge, Colonel Nicholson - being conditioned and ego invested in the building of the bridge - sounds the alarm & tries to stop them, completely contrary to the way he should behave.

This putting of maglocks and fixed 10 round mags seems of the same condition - adopting the goals of the bad guys, becoming invested in the program and its success.

Whaddya think - should I be hanging out a shingle and charging $250.00 an hour?

Bizcuits
04-30-2010, 1:59 PM
I've seen a few people advertising raddlock / bb type devices for mini-14's and m1a's. Just keep looking.

Seesm
05-08-2010, 10:51 PM
I have a few in stock ready to ship.

Notblake
05-08-2010, 11:00 PM
Why would you want to neuter that perfectly good carbine by putting a chastity belt on its party pieces?

Is having a pistol grip really BETTER than having detachable magazines? I guess on an AR15 you just want it to look right, but on a mini 14?

PacoLoco666
05-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Why would you want to neuter that perfectly good carbine by putting a chastity belt on its party pieces?

Is having a pistol grip really BETTER than having detachable magazines? I guess on an AR15 you just want it to look right, but on a mini 14?

CUZ we wan't to! THAT'S WHY!!!!! Look at all the other guns that Calgunners modify to be legal, maglock'ed and bullet button'ed to the F'n degree.

If ya don't have preban mags for your Mini, GO CRAZY!!! FH, PG, collapsible stock, folding stock (w/ ghey lil nub extension for 30" legality), whatever, JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!

Now, my Mini is a registered AW (along with 18 other guns- been in the game quite a while) and I like the Butler Creek folder on it (I've yet to find and original Ruger or Falcon folder at a decent price), so I can truthfully say that, in lieu of having preban hi-caps, I would like a PG stock on a new Mini.

Having a mag lock doesn't prevent the use of detachable magazines,just the capacity. And since we live in CA, the limit for new mags is still 10 rounds.

Plus, with a change of stock and removal of mag lock, he can go back to the "CA compliant" version of the Mini you are so enamored with.

I know, the Mini is one of the few guns available to us that we can use right out the box legally, but if with the addition of a "bullet button" one can add "tacticool" gizmos, I say, "DO IT".

1GooDDaDDy
05-10-2010, 6:24 PM
A couple of months ago I ordered 500 rounds of what I thought was .308 ammo for my AR10 from out of state.
When the package arrived it contained 7.62x39 instead. Like a dummy, I checked the wrong box. My fault.
So, I had 500 rounds of perfectly good ammo but nothing to chamber it in.
I went over to “Wild Bill’s” in Elk Grove and bought a Mini M14 to fill that gap.

The stock was a standard length that I could use, but too long for my two little boys to fire comfortably.

I did some research and ordered the TAPCO stock with pistol grip and adjusting butt stock.

After ”tricking it out” to my tastes over the last few weeks, I realized that I had just built a so-called AW because of the removable mag and no BB.

After a quick search for “BB for the Mini M14” here at CalGuns, I discovered a couple of threads on the subject.

One was about the piece of hack saw blade inserted in the trigger mechanism. I made one in about a half hour today and it worked. The mag is a “top feeder” only now. I hate that.
But, it made me a legal citizen again here in the State of Kalifornia.

Then I ran across this thread with Seesm’s post.

It sounds like something I could use. I’ll donate my rifle for photos (since it is now very, very “evil”), for the cost of one of your creations. I’m here in Elk Grove and being retired have time to deal with this.

Shoot me an e-mail or post something in this thread if you’re still interested in having photos made.

P.S. I've been a professional photographer all my life if you need someone the do it for you...my pleasure. Time on my hands for a good cause.

Oh, does your BB allow the mag to be removed with a “tool” like on the AR15 and AR10?

Pics of Lil' Betty below:

http://www.screencast.com/users/GooDDaDDy/folders/Jing/media/72cf107d-756d-4a08-9104-74037825300a

http://www.screencast.com/users/GooDDaDDy/folders/Jing/media/ba7def3e-eb1f-4064-a56c-b9163d27224b

Not Over.

PacoLoco666
05-11-2010, 12:21 PM
When the package arrived it contained 7.62x39 instead.
I bought a Mini M14.
You bought a Mini 30 in 7.62X39.

The mag is a “top feeder” only now. I hate that.
A fixed mag rifle works like that.

Oh, does your BB allow the mag to be removed with a “tool” like on the AR15 and AR10?

The whole point of a "bullet button" is to be able to use removable 10 (or less) round mags.

BTW, your Mini 30 looks great!

Seesm
05-12-2010, 1:21 AM
1 good daddy Pm your # I am sure we can work something out... Yes you can pop the mag out with my mag lock with a bullet tip (easy) I may have a strikeforce lined up but maybe you and I can do something and make it right for us both.

Brown Rock
05-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Deleted post.

Seesm
05-17-2010, 2:31 PM
Bumpy

Seesm
06-02-2010, 8:20 PM
bumpelstilskin...