PDA

View Full Version : Colt 22lr at Big 5

LECTRIKHED
11-28-2009, 6:55 PM
So I was at Big 5 for the Black Friday sales. Saw something that struck my eye.

They have a Colt 22lr M4 rifle with no bullet button. Over all quality looked not so great to me vs. a typical M4 style rifle. The rifle is actually manufactured by Walther under license of Colt.

However, there were a few things that I was intrigued about.

The receiver says "Colt AR-15" on one side with the colt logo. On the other side it says Made by Walther Germany.

So according to the AW guide "Colt AR-15 (All)" are an AW. I know this is 22lr and exempt from the generic characteristics. Would this be considered an AW just by saying "Colt AR-15" on the side. However, it is made by Walther and is therefore technically a Walther rifle, not Colt.

http://www.colt22rimfire.com/ (http://www.colt22rimfire.com/)

What do you guys think. It might be a nice way to get a colt receiver. I was unable to break down the rifle. Quality did not seem that great. I'm thinking that they may have made it incompatible with standard uppers.

IrishPirate
11-28-2009, 6:58 PM
The "center fire" requirement isn't there so you're good. (plus, i seriously doubt Big 5 would be selling an AW.....) I've heard they are problematic but that could have been fixed. I saw the same one but didn't think that $800 was worth it for a cool looking .22 (until i have a kid that is)

MicronuT
11-28-2009, 7:16 PM
how much was it

PolishMike
11-28-2009, 7:31 PM
So I was at Big 5 for the Black Friday sales. Saw something that struck my eye.

They have a Colt 22lr M4 rifle with no bullet button. Over all quality looked not so great to me vs. a typical M4 style rifle. The rifle is actually manufactured by Walther under license of Colt.

However, there were a few things that I was intrigued about.

The receiver says "Colt AR-15" on one side with the colt logo. On the other side it says Made by Walther Germany.

So according to the AW guide "Colt AR-15 (All)" are an AW. I know this is 22lr and exempt from the generic characteristics. Would this be considered an AW just by saying "Colt AR-15" on the side. However, it is made by Walther and is therefore technically a Walther rifle, not Colt.

http://www.colt22rimfire.com/ (http://www.colt22rimfire.com/)

What do you guys think. It might be a nice way to get a colt receiver. I was unable to break down the rifle. Quality did not seem that great. I'm thinking that they may have made it incompatible with standard uppers.

The 22 receivers are NOT standard AR receivers. You cannot just put another upper on it.

SIGman Freud
11-28-2009, 7:31 PM
I saw one "on sale" or was it an "in-store special" for $599.99 about 2 months ago at a Big 5 in South Sac. I did a double take when I saw it on the shelf, but soon realized it was a .22. :rolleyes:

LECTRIKHED
11-28-2009, 7:35 PM
I think it was listed at $499.

CFV
11-28-2009, 8:46 PM
Check out the S&W MP15-22lr... seems to be a better choice

SIGman Freud
11-28-2009, 8:51 PM
I think it was listed at $499.

THAT's right! It's in competition with S & W's M&P15-22.

lorax3
11-28-2009, 8:58 PM
The "center fire" requirement isn't there so you're good.

To clarify, this is not relevant on a 12276 banned firearm.

Rimfire does not make it exempt in anyway.

In other words, a rimfire upper on a Bushmaster Assault Rifle would not exempt it like it would with features in 12276.1.

cortayack
11-28-2009, 8:58 PM
Colt .22 is a fun rifle...have one myself! No problems with it. I'm not sure where "it looks/feels cheap" comes from. It can be a ***** to do a complete cleaning tho. I picked mine up for 400 used....I'm a happy camper.........:clap:

Seesm
11-28-2009, 10:12 PM
It is not a "Colt" but it is the name "Colt" licensed to Walther I think.
Been a bit since I saw one.

And no BB needed as its rimfire.

But does not qualify as a AW in anyway.

I am sure others will jump in but NO way Big 5 is going to sell something that will get you in trouble.

I am sure LEOs now now about this rifle as well...

Enjoy it as maybe it will help make black rifles more "Socially acceptable" :)

skylovia
11-29-2009, 12:28 AM
i saw it 3 weeks ago there for $750:eek: eff that!

AlbcAlbrr
11-29-2009, 6:59 AM
On the street the various different versions of it seem to be going for between $500 to $600. It's a nice, fun shooting rifle. There were a few problematic ones in the beginning.

Once you understand the gun you get along fine.

Most of the bad press now seems to come from people who don't even have one.