PDA

View Full Version : stay away from Seagate drives

sigfan91
11-28-2009, 3:21 PM
I bought a Seagate hard drive 2.5 years ago. I bought it because it carried a 5 year warranty. I knew that OEM drives don't have this so I bought a retail package from a brick and mortar store.

This drive broke.

I called Seagate to see if I can get warranty service on it. The rep told me that it was an OEM drive and they can't honor the warranty. I told the CSR that I hold the Seagate retail box in my hand, with the drive's serial number printed on the outside, and the box was sealed with a Seagate sticker. He said he doesn't know where this drive came from and he can't be sure that the box and the sticker were really from Seagate.

I ask him how can I buy a Seagate retail product from a store if it's actually an OEM product? He said the only way to be sure is to buy it from Seagate directly.

I will not buy anything from Seagate again.

I recommend you all that if you buy a retail hard drive, check the serial number of the drive on the company's website to confirm if it's actually a retail product before you open the package.

I have never had a problem with retail Western Digital drives. I will buy Western Digital from now on.

The drive's serial number is: 5QD2Y5NP

I can post pictures of the drive and the retail box that it came in if you don't believe me.

Spiggy
11-28-2009, 3:40 PM
they suck at rebates too. They still owe me $80 for drives I purchased years ago.

rcantu
11-28-2009, 3:46 PM
i've read for years those are pos hard drives.

sorry you got screwed.

paul0660
11-28-2009, 4:28 PM
I have to agree about seagate quality. I have had problems with WD too, but their warranty service is perfect. If you have ONE DAY left on the warranty, they will send you a new (or reconditioned) drive, and there isn't a difference between OEM or retail drives in warranty.

Cokebottle
11-28-2009, 5:10 PM
I've never had a problem with Maxtor.
That's all I've used since I stopped using Connors around '94.
I bought a couple of IBM "DeathStars", but found out about the issues with them before I actually put them into service.

Satex
11-28-2009, 7:05 PM
I have a number of Seagate drives in RAID arrays that get hammered continuously on a few servers; none have ever broke. I just retired a few after 4 years of intensive use, in favor of larger Seagate drives. Just like with any product, the actual lifetime will vary on random failure as the bathtub curve predicts...

rkt88edmo
11-28-2009, 7:16 PM
That is friggin ridiculous, the reason people buy them is for that 5yr warranty (or the ultra quiet models), I can't believe they are giving you the run around!

tgriffin
11-28-2009, 7:23 PM
never had problem with seagate and WD, nothing but problems with Maxtor.

ocabj
11-28-2009, 7:41 PM
What happens when you enter in your drive information here?

http://support.seagate.com/customer/warranty_validation.jsp

JDay
11-28-2009, 8:41 PM
Whats the model number?

sigfan91
11-28-2009, 8:52 PM
What happens when you enter in your drive information here?

http://support.seagate.com/customer/warranty_validation.jsp

Warranty status is "unknown."

sigfan91
11-28-2009, 8:52 PM
Whats the model number?

Model number is ST3750640AS

jarhead995
11-29-2009, 12:06 AM
everything made in china is a POS

1JimMarch
11-29-2009, 1:49 AM
Maxtor was bought by Seagate years ago and is now their "budget line". So if you think Maxtor is better than Seagate...yeah...I don't think so.

Huge WD fan here. I won't buy anything else. I've also seen tragedy with Hitachi and Fuji lately.

bigmike82
11-29-2009, 2:14 AM
That sucks man.

I would tell the CSR that if they don't honor the warranty, you'll complain to the BBB. If you're really pissed, and have time to spare, file a suit.

ocabj
11-29-2009, 10:54 AM
Out of curiosity, where was this drive purchased from?

Cokebottle
11-29-2009, 1:22 PM
Maxtor was bought by Seagate years ago and is now their "budget line". So if you think Maxtor is better than Seagate...yeah...I don't think so.
The merger was executed at the end of 2005.
My current drives were bought in 2004 (250g and 160g).

Wasn't saying that Maxtor is or was better... just that I've never had a problem with any Maxtor drives in the last 17 years, and I run my drives 24/7. Currently HDD-0 is 26^c and HDD-1 is 29^c... CPU is 35.

Sounds like I need to find a new supplier.

BTW: I think I might have an ST4096 around here somewhere ;)

nick
11-29-2009, 2:08 PM
This looks like another case of there being as many opinions and experiences as there're people.

I mostly use Seagates. I've had most drives fail on me (which is inevitable when you deal with thousands of drives), and Seagates have had much fewer failures. I'm mostly talking about SCSI, SAS, and FC drives here, with a few hundred IDE and SATA ones.

Maxtors have been by far the worst ones. Samsungs would take the second worst place. Western Digitals would be the third worst, although I've mostly dealt with desktop (IDE/SATA) WD drives, and I presume they fail more often than the server (SAS/SCSI/FC) drives. Surprisingly, I've had few problems with Hitachi/IBM drives. When I did, their warranty service worked pretty well. The same goes for Seagates, in my experience.

HUTCH 7.62
11-29-2009, 2:32 PM
I can't remember a time when their drives were good.

JDay
11-29-2009, 6:38 PM
That sucks man.

I would tell the CSR that if they don't honor the warranty, you'll complain to the BBB. If you're really pissed, and have time to spare, file a suit.

They'll probably laugh. Companies pay to be listed by the BBB. They also probably aren't even listed since they're a manufacturer and not a retailer.

holasrmateo
11-29-2009, 9:33 PM
Never had a problem with either my Seagate or WD HDD's.

bigmike82
11-30-2009, 8:59 AM
"Companies pay to be listed by the BBB."
Unless they get complaints. ;)

This tactic worked for me in getting some overdraft charges dropped from Wells Fargo.

OH! Consumerist is a great place to contact about this issue. They love stories like this.

sigfan91
11-30-2009, 4:07 PM
This looks like another case of there being as many opinions and experiences as there're people.

I mostly use Seagates. I've had most drives fail on me (which is inevitable when you deal with thousands of drives), and Seagates have had much fewer failures. I'm mostly talking about SCSI, SAS, and FC drives here, with a few hundred IDE and SATA ones.

Maxtors have been by far the worst ones. Samsungs would take the second worst place. Western Digitals would be the third worst, although I've mostly dealt with desktop (IDE/SATA) WD drives, and I presume they fail more often than the server (SAS/SCSI/FC) drives. Surprisingly, I've had few problems with Hitachi/IBM drives. When I did, their warranty service worked pretty well. The same goes for Seagates, in my experience.

It's not the failure that annoys me. It's the fact that a retail package was listed as OEM in the data base and the company won't honor the warranty.

I've had WD fail before. All my retail WD drives that failed were promptly replaced if under warranty.

goober
11-30-2009, 4:20 PM

this^
anecdotal "i bought this drive once and it sucked" stories have some value, especially when there are lots of them, but i'm often amused at how convinced folks are that the company or brand is bad with such limited data.
i too am in a situation where i buy and use literally hundreds of internal and external drives of pretty much all interface flavors, and my experience is that Seagates of the last 5 years or more have been above average.
last time i came across a brand/model that i would actually warn people against it was during the Hitachi/IBM Deskstar (nicknamed "DeathStar") fiasco.

It's not the failure that annoys me. It's the fact that a retail package was listed as OEM in the data base and the company won't honor the warranty.

I've had WD fail before. All my retail WD drives that failed were promptly replaced if under warranty.

your beef may not be w/ Seagate, it may very well be with the vendor. repackaged OEM drives have been known to be sold as retail... it happens.

sigfan91
11-30-2009, 5:17 PM
your beef may not be w/ Seagate, it may very well be with the vendor. repackaged OEM drives have been known to be sold as retail... it happens.

With a perfect retail box and matching serial number/model number printed on the outside? That just sounds a little far fetched for a retailer to do. The amount of labor involved quickly kills off the profit. If done on a massive scale to be economical, then it's a serious crime.

obeygiant
11-30-2009, 10:16 PM
this^
anecdotal "i bought this drive once and it sucked" stories have some value, especially when there are lots of them, but i'm often amused at how convinced folks are that the company or brand is bad with such limited data.
i too am in a situation where i buy and use literally hundreds of internal and external drives of pretty much all interface flavors, and my experience is that Seagates of the last 5 years or more have been above average.
last time i came across a brand/model that i would actually warn people against it was during the Hitachi/IBM Deskstar (nicknamed "DeathStar") fiasco.

This ^^^. Every HD manufacturer has had a bad run of drives. At one point for me it was western digital so I switched to maxtor. Then I had issues with maxtor drives and switched to Seagate. So far the life spans seem to be nearly about the same, 3yrs. On the other hand I've seen server hard drives by Seagate outlast most other brands.

To the OP, sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with them. I've returned a few drives and never had a problem. I might suggest calling until you get a more pleasant person to deal with.

odysseus
11-30-2009, 10:24 PM
Same here. I have run pretty much them all. IBM, Hitachi, Fujitsu, Seagate, Samsung, WD, Toshiba, Maxtor, etc. I have had them in everything interfaced from IDE, to all flavors SCSI and FC of all kinds of speeds. There historically has been with several manufacturers certain models that had higher failure rates, but I have not seen anything significantly like that for some time. Seagates have served me well.

If there is one brand I have never liked much is maxtor. They failed a bit more overall in my experience and never seen them do hard work in the enterprise, plus one failure on a telco server device (bad overall design anyway) in particular pretty much burned me on them...

goober
11-30-2009, 10:34 PM
With a perfect retail box and matching serial number/model number printed on the outside? That just sounds a little far fetched for a retailer to do. The amount of labor involved quickly kills off the profit. If done on a massive scale to be economical, then it's a serious crime.

that's right, but it has been documented to occur. where'd ya buy it?

sigfan91
12-01-2009, 4:34 PM
that's right, but it has been documented to occur. where'd ya buy it?

I bought it at fry's.

I just can't believe fry's would take the time to manufacture a box to sell an OEM drive as retail. I've seen fry's operation. The people working there aren't the ones detailed enough to work up a scheme like this. I know some returned items could sell as brand new with their shrink wrap machine and a new price tag. But this is not a case of returned product being sold as new. This is an OEM product without its own boxes and papers and cable and screws, somehow wound up with a box that has matching numbers and a complete kit.

I understand drives go bad. That's not an IF but a WHEN. I'm just pissed that an OEM product was sold as retail. And I can't believe fry's would take the time to do that.

indetrucks
12-01-2009, 4:56 PM
It's a mechanical part with constant moving objects inside (like pistons in an engine)
No HD will last forever, eventually moving parts fail.
Just get a HD with the best reputable warranty and expect to back up your data every 2 years on to a newer HD. But even by doing this, you are guaranteed nothing.