PDA

View Full Version : RRA Varmint A4 - pros & cons?

Hyper
11-28-2009, 11:18 AM
I am thinking of getting a Rock River Arms "18 bbl Varmint A4 rifle, and I am hoping that guys could list me some pros & cons of this rifle? I would appreciate if you could post some pics too. (bench/target shooting)

nn3453
11-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Pros: Accurate as heck.

Cons: Heavy. Nice as a bench or varmint gun. Sucks if you can't set it down or have to lug it around all day.

Check out the predator pursuit. Lighter barrel. Accuracy is on par (until it gets really hot. The varmint takes a loooong time to get to that point).

So the question is, what is your intended use?

tenpercentfirearms
11-28-2009, 10:17 PM
Pros: Accurate as heck.

Cons: Heavy. Nice as a bench or varmint gun. Sucks if you can't set it down or have to lug it around all day.

Check out the predator pursuit. Lighter barrel. Accuracy is on par (until it gets really hot. The varmint takes a loooong time to get to that point).

So the question is, what is your intended use?

This sums it up. If it is a bench gun, you might as well just get the 20". If you are going to lug it around, it would be nice, but the predator pursuit would probably be nicer.

I sold my cousin an 18" Varmint and he likes it. I saw him shoot a little pig with his.

aplinker
11-28-2009, 10:21 PM
Agreed - a very good summary above.

The Predator Pursuit is probably a better choice. I'd actually suggest going to 24" on the varmint if you're intending to use it as a true varmint gun.

cal3gunner
11-28-2009, 10:36 PM
You can have the barrel turned down to make it lighter? Is it a mid length or rifle length gas system?

SJgunguy24
11-29-2009, 12:59 AM
I have a 20" with a free float hanguard. It'll put em in a small hole and I rang mine out at Tumey Hills out past 500 yards. Kinda nice pop clays at will out that far.
It's fricken heavy, I took my AK when I went hiking. I was a trade off for me, AK heavy ammo light gun. AR light ammo but the gun is a boat anchor.
Thats my gun.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll66/SJgunguy24/001-10.jpg

killshot44
11-29-2009, 10:50 AM
Why worry about how much it weighs?

Try the "Mid-West Method"...........

That's where you have your son carry the rifle all day and hand it to you when you've found your game.

(at least, that was how it worked when I was a kid :rolleyes:)

SJgunguy24
11-29-2009, 11:53 AM
Why worry about how much it weighs?

Try the "Mid-West Method"...........

That's where you have your son carry the rifle all day and hand it to you when you've found your game.

(at least, that was how it worked when I was a kid :rolleyes:)

Sadly my teenager is a lazy sack and my daughter is too young. When I said hiking it was more a slow climb up a large hill, for every 3 foot I climbed I sank down 1 foot.