PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight barrel vs. Heavyweight

juelz919
11-28-2009, 11:09 AM
I want to buy a kit from del-ton but the lightweight kit is backordered.

basically my question is what are the pro's and con's of lightweight barrel over the heavyweight, is it worth the wait to get the lightweight barrel, they are the same price..

i will both be shooting off a bench and offhand, most likely at some point will be carrying it.

jasonnorcal
11-28-2009, 11:14 AM
Get the lightweight, you'll regret it if u don't. I did:( Then you will have to ship it out to get turned down and reparkerized for 135$ like I just did. It wasn't that it was to heavy overall, just front heavy.

MissionMTMan
11-28-2009, 11:18 AM
Heavyweight isn't worth the weight. Get the lightweight. I don't know how good of a shot you are but chances are you won't be able to outshoot a lightweight barrel anyways. Get a lightweight and never look back.

juelz919
11-28-2009, 11:22 AM
I can shoot very well, but I will be honest with my self and others, i doubt i can outshoot any rifle, but I like for the bullet to go where i am aiming regardless if it is in the bullseye or 9 ring.

that being said
my biggest concerns are heating up the barrel

popeye4
11-28-2009, 11:54 AM
It depends on what game you are going to play. A heavyweight barrel will generally be stiffer than a lightweight barrel and will (most likely) hold point of aim longer after you've started to heat it up. That is, of course, if it is a quality barrel. But if you're going to carry it around or want to be able to move quickly (like in some action games), a lightweight barrel might be better.

Of course, you can buy the parts and get a barrel elsewhere, or get a heavy now and a lightweight later, or wait. Or get a fluted barrel, which will give you a lot of the advantages of a heavy barrel while being lighter and having more surface area for faster cooling. So many choices, so little time (and money).

railroader
11-28-2009, 12:06 PM
The lightweight barrels have been back ordered forever. If you want a light barrel from del-ton go with the m4. They are lightweight under the handguards. The weight difference will be the extra thickness of the barrel in front the sight base on the m4 barrel. It's not going to be alot heavier. I'm pretty sure they are shipping out the m4's pretty quick. If you decide to go with the heavy weight you might as well go for the mid length barrel kit. Mark

juelz919
11-28-2009, 12:07 PM
It depends on what game you are going to play. A heavyweight barrel will generally be stiffer than a lightweight barrel and will (most likely) hold point of aim longer after you've started to heat it up. That is, of course, if it is a quality barrel. But if you're going to carry it around or want to be able to move quickly (like in some action games), a lightweight barrel might be better.

Of course, you can buy the parts and get a barrel elsewhere, or get a heavy now and a lightweight later, or wait. Or get a fluted barrel, which will give you a lot of the advantages of a heavy barrel while being lighter and having more surface area for faster cooling. So many choices, so little time (and money).

whenever i look at barrels seperately it asks about all these options i know nothing about so i am gonna start with a kit and probably if i ever learn that stuff probably buy another upper..
unless i'm super content with my first one which would be great so i could start saving for my R700

juelz919
11-28-2009, 12:09 PM
The lightweight barrels have been back ordered forever. If you want a light barrel from del-ton go with the m4. They are lightweight under the handguards. The weight difference will be the extra thickness of the barrel in front the sight base on the m4 barrel. It's not going to be alot heavier. I'm pretty sure they are shipping out the m4's pretty quick. If you decide to go with the heavy weight you might as well go for the mid length barrel kit. Mark

how much lighter is the m4 than the heavyweight? i was interested in the difference but know one really knows?
thank you for the help everyone..

jcaoloveshine
11-28-2009, 4:46 PM
If you're looking for an accuracy build, go heavy, otherwise if this is a fighting rifle heavy barrel is counter-intuitive for AR rifles.

Personally I like government profile, which is the middle ground between M4 lightweight and national match heavy barrel.

I have handled my friend's Noveske AR w/lightweight M4 barrel and lemme tell you the ergonomics are superb, it is probably one of the best pointing rifles I've held and it's extremely quick and easy to carry w/o sling even.

Also, what rifle length are you looking to get? I'm assuming that if you're considering lightweight you probably want a 16" upper, in which case I think a heavy barrel might be retarded since it's a carbine anyways.

juelz919
11-28-2009, 4:52 PM
If you're looking for an accuracy build, go heavy, otherwise if this is a fighting rifle heavy barrel is counter-intuitive for AR rifles.

Personally I like government profile, which is the middle ground between M4 lightweight and national match heavy barrel.

I have handled my friend's Noveske AR w/lightweight M4 barrel and lemme tell you the ergonomics are superb, it is probably one of the best pointing rifles I've held and it's extremely quick and easy to carry w/o sling even.

Also, what rifle length are you looking to get? I'm assuming that if you're considering lightweight you probably want a 16" upper, in which case I think a heavy barrel might be retarded since it's a carbine anyways.

i agree about the stupidity of a heavy carbine but im sick of waiting. i might just pay the extra $20 bucks to get the m4 profile.. but do i have to get M4 feed ramps? or is there any other specific add-ons i will need for the m4 rifle kit? (del-ton)

Jonathan Doe
11-28-2009, 4:59 PM
Unless you want to shoot matches with your barrel, light barrel will shoot well anyways. I don't know why people want heavy barrel on 14.5" or 16" barrels.

Dangerous
11-28-2009, 5:00 PM
i like weight reduction. it helps in almost all areas of life. id go with the smallest barrel available.

Trendkill
11-28-2009, 5:04 PM
i like weight reduction. it helps in almost all areas of life. id go with the smallest barrel available.

Selling all your guns and joining the Sierraclub cuts down on weight too.....

jasonnorcal
11-28-2009, 5:40 PM

The words of a racer or ex-fatty........LOL

OP, m4 or goverment profile will be essentially the same as a lightweight. If you held both I doubt you would notice a difference.

jasonnorcal
11-28-2009, 5:42 PM
You do not need m4 ramps, thats why they're an option.

railroader
11-28-2009, 5:48 PM
I have both the m4 and the mid length from del-ton. The mid length is definately heavier but I like both. Neither one has m4 feed ramps and both run great. I would suggest to spend the extra $45 and get the chrome lined barrel. Both of my del-tons are and they have no extraction or feeding problems. Here's different barrel profiles: http://www.ar15barrels.com/profiles.shtml Mark

juelz919
11-28-2009, 6:21 PM
I have both the m4 and the mid length from del-ton. The mid length is definately heavier but I like both. Neither one has m4 feed ramps and both run great. I would suggest to spend the extra $45 and get the chrome lined barrel. Both of my del-tons are and they have no extraction or feeding problems. Here's different barrel profiles: http://www.ar15barrels.com/profiles.shtml Mark

have you ever weighed the m4? i am pretty positive i am gonna buy that one, i am gonna send pam an email on monday about availability and if they are in i'm ordering it that night

railroader
11-28-2009, 7:40 PM
I haven't weighed them but if you are worried about the weight go with the m4. I know I was on the del-ton section of ar15. com and it seemed the m4's were now shipping pretty quick. http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=2&f=100 Mark

aplinker
11-28-2009, 9:00 PM
gov't profile is about the worst there is. It puts all the weight where it doesn't belong - making the rifle swing slower and the barrel whip more pronounced. It's just stupid.

Lightweight in a 16" is great for anything except trying to keep 4" groups at 400yds. Then you'd want to step up to an 18" and SPR profile.

16" mid-length lightweight would be choice, hands down.

juelz919
11-29-2009, 1:02 PM
You do not need m4 ramps, thats why they're an option.

Would i want them? do they make a significant difference?

speeddreamz
06-08-2011, 9:29 PM
Can anyone comment on the lightest weight quality 16" barrel?

Weights?

Thinking about either a daniel defense or noveske or BCM...hmmm

SuperSet
06-08-2011, 9:49 PM
If you can, try shooting them side by side (lightweight vs medium contour) and see which one you like. After having owned others, I shoot Noveskes now and their 32 oz. 18" lightweight is the perfect balance. I also took one of their med contours and had it contoured and fluted and it jumps around a bit more under sustained fire, but it's a joy to carry around when you're hunting hogs.

motorwerks
06-08-2011, 9:51 PM
I guess, Ill step up. I LOVE my heavy barrel. If your guns to heavy do some pushups. :D

I will say if you have to go on patrol and REALLY carry it around then maybe a mid weight, or a lightweight but most of us aren't that. My 9ish-lbs A2 Service rifle shoots really nice and everyone that shoots it falls in love with it. I have one the 20inch Hbar, 16inch M4, 16inch light weight (that I can borrow), and a 14.5 with a pinned hider. The 20inch is my favorite to shoot by far. If you are in Northern CA you are welcome to meet me in Lincoln some Friday or Saturday and shoot them all and judge for yourself.

taladeganite
06-08-2011, 9:57 PM
*pumps out 50 push-ups... ;)

Rock_Islander
06-09-2011, 9:14 PM
I ordered the Del-Ton lightweight midlength (upper) a couple months back, and it took forever to ship! So I called and found out the lightweight barrel I chose was on backorder... BUMMER! So I told em, just gimme' the HBAR (heavy barrel) with a 1x7 twist and ship that "mudda"!

I can tell you right NOW, I have absolutely no regrets in making the switch to a heavy barrel. I'm a medium statured guy, 5"8 & 170lbs. and I have no issues with it being too heavy or front heavy. I like the fact that the barrel will not vibrate as much while firing, and definitely won't vibrate as much while hot, and will not get as hot as fast as a lightweight barrel. All of those attributes are in sync with consistent accuracy time and time again as compared to a lightweight barrel of any length or form (just about). I can give up a little "lightness" in return for some precision. But that's just me.

In the end, go with what you really want. I didn't wanna' wait forever for a lightweight barrel, and I ended up pleasantly surprised with the HBAR midlength Del-Ton upper I got. Plus I added the Yankee Hill quad rail FF forend, and the thing looks SICK, and of course enhances accuracy. I slapped on some tangodown rail panels, ladder panels, a Magpul vertical grip, and a Surefire light for some straight up Ninja capability (lol) and I love it.

Hope you make a purchase that's right for you in the end, either way you should be happy. Oh and by the way, when I first zeroed in the Del-Ton upper, it was taaaack drivin' accurate. They seemed to have torqued the barrel at the proper poundage (not overly tightened to the upper receiver which robs the barrel of accuracy) and its suuuuper reliable from what I have seen so far. Plus the bolt carrier is actually chrome lined, the entire thing is, not just the gas key. On top of the chrome lining is standard parkerizing for years of use from the carrier. The bolt itself is marked HP/MPI which is nice, and overall I'm soo happy to have made my purchase from them. It was definitely an affordable (some might call Del-Ton "cheap") purchase but worth every penny I paid and possibly more. Very good quality stuff that won't rip your pockets dry of funds.