PDA

View Full Version : How accurate is your SU-16CA?

Hyper
11-28-2009, 10:56 AM
I recently bought a SU-16CA. I have a compact forend w/ Harris bipod, and I shoot from the bench. I am not happy with the accuracy (not par with my AR). I am a good shooter, and I am only able to shoot approx. 2 MOA at 50 yrds (Fiocchi FMJ 55gr. & 8-32 scope), which bothers me a lot. I like the rifle (design), but I am seriously thinking of selling it...

1. How accurate is your SU-16CA?
2. Do you shoot better with the factory forend than compact (a bit flimsy)?
3. Should I attach a metal scope rail?
4. Do you know any tricks to improve SU-16CA's accuracy?

Quiet
11-28-2009, 11:41 AM
IMO...

SU16CA accuracy > Mini-14 accuracy
SU16CA & Mini-14 accuracy < AR accuracy

railroader
11-28-2009, 11:58 AM
When I had my 16a I noticed a couple of things that didn't help accuracy. First of was the trigger. It was kind of heavy which didn't help trying to shoot groups. Another thing I found was the receiver would flex if I would bear down on it when it was on a rest. It would also flex when I used the factory sling. If I used the sling tight around my elbow it would flex and change the point of impact. I found I got my best groups with just a firm hold on the rest. I think my best groups were around an inch and a half at 50 yards. Maybe try some different ammo. My AR's definitely shoot tighter groups. Mark

sgtbuck
11-28-2009, 12:13 PM
The SU is not a AR and is half the price. The SU16 CA will out shoot a Mini 14 but will not out shoot a AR. It is a low cost back packing rifle. It is great for what it was designed for.

HUTCH 7.62
11-28-2009, 12:14 PM
The SU is not a AR and is half the price. The SU16 CA will out shoot a Mini 14 but will not out shoot a AR. It is a low cost back packing rifle. It is great for what it was designed for.

+ 1 My mini is a better club than a shooter My SU-16 was far superior than my mini

sevensix2x51
11-28-2009, 12:21 PM
+ 1 My mini is a better club than a shooter My SU-16 was far superior than my mini

the best thing about the mini, is that you can use it as a club, then it will still function perfectly well as a rifle. if you use a keltec as a club, it is only good as confetti afterwards.

gotta give credit, where its due.

Caseless
11-28-2009, 12:26 PM
Best 3-shot group at 100 yards benchrested was 1.5 inch with Federal A.E. 50gr HP, using iron-sight. M193 ball is 3-inch at 100 yards on a good day, but usually 4-inch. This carbine is hard to shoot accurately offhand for me. Probably because it is so weightless. Hope this helps.

mif_slim
11-28-2009, 1:56 PM
trigger does alot to accurcy. after lightning my trigger i get about two inch at a hundred and less then one at 5o yards. it shoots just as accurate as my yankee hill.

Bug Splat
11-28-2009, 2:29 PM
My best group is just under an inch at 100 yards with my CA model. Sorry, but I'd rather use my rifle as a rifle and not as a club. A sidearm or knife is better suited for face to face combat.

Sunshine
11-28-2009, 2:52 PM
^was that an off-hand 10 shot group using wolf ammo?

IrishPirate
11-28-2009, 3:12 PM

+1
I have the SU-16A and it's accurate as all hell, but i've seen people at the range with ARs and they usually out-shoot me. The thing about the CA model is the sights are closer together and the barrel is shorter than the A model, so accuracy can be affected by the slightest movement. I'm going to upgrade the front sight on my A to the B model sight (M16 sights) and this should make it even more accurate. IMHO, the CA model is the crap model of the bunch....A or B are better, and the A's longer barrel with the B better sights would be the best...IMHO

HUTCH 7.62
11-28-2009, 4:41 PM
+1
I have the SU-16A and it's accurate as all hell, but i've seen people at the range with ARs and they usually out-shoot me. The thing about the CA model is the sights are closer together and the barrel is shorter than the A model, so accuracy can be affected by the slightest movement. I'm going to upgrade the front sight on my A to the B model sight (M16 sights) and this should make it even more accurate. IMHO, the CA model is the crap model of the bunch....A or B are better, and the A's longer barrel with the B better sights would be the best...IMHO

I liked my CA model I don't care for the thin barrels of the A and B mod. but I had the D fore grip and if you have big hands you burn the crap out of em on the gas cylinder. IMO get a M-16 extracter and an extracter enhancer from SOG armory.

Oh and another thing I think I'd try to get The D model next time.

Dragunov
11-28-2009, 5:32 PM
Best 5 shot group from my 16B was .9 MOA (once) with MilSpec 5.56 M193 FMJ 55gr. Boat tail. Worst was a little under 1.25 5 shot group, same ammo.

With federal .223/55gr. FMJ, between 1.75 and 2" MOA.

Will probably do better with a good fire lapping. My trigger is only five pounds and since my 11yr old daughter shoots it most of the time (Her rifle actually) I think I'll leave it that way for now.

Also, The weapon handles considerably better if you put two full 10rnd mags in the stock.

rc50cal
11-28-2009, 7:05 PM
I have shot 5-shot groups as good as 2" at 100 yards. That is about as well as I can shoot with any rifle with iron sights. (CA model)

LECTRIKHED
11-28-2009, 7:35 PM
As per accuracy. I'm not a marksman over 50 yards. I'd like to be but lack the knowledge to shoot accurately over 50 yards. With that said, I always hit the paper even at 100 yards. I figure that is good enough for now, since the paper is smaller than most mammals.

I love the SU-16 series. They are great little rifles. Lifetime warranty, light weight, gas piston, reliable after breaking in, simple design.

It is not an AR, but a reliable light weight carbine that is legal out of the box and can take pre-ban magazines with no worries. It is a newer design that is compact and great for backpacking.

My SU-16CA is my go to rifle, over all others. I know it better than all of my other rifles and it is 100% reliable with all the ammo I've fed it.

Now if they would just add/release a bayonet lug and create a stock that is not hollow,

Seesm
11-28-2009, 9:26 PM
IMO...

SU16 accuracy = Mini-14 accuracy
SU16 & Mini-14 accuracy < AR accuracy

Quiet.... JK... But the older Minis are not as accurate as the Kel-Tec without some tweaking...

Yes the AR is more accurate... but the Kel-Tec is super light and faaar cheaper...

The newer Mini is accurate as well.

Sell me that club cheap then... (I think I have asked this everytime you bash the mini) Anyway I think it's you... But either way lemme buy that "club" CHEAP... Do it... :)

trigger does alot to accurcy. after lightning my trigger i get about two inch at a hundred and less then one at 5o yards. it shoots just as accurate as my yankee hill.

Not too bad...

+1

I think your onto something here...

As per accuracy. I'm not a marksman over 50 yards. I'd like to be but lack the knowledge to shoot accurately over 50 yards. With that said, I always hit the paper even at 100 yards. I figure that is good enough for now, since the paper is smaller than most mammals.

I love the SU-16 series. They are great little rifles. Lifetime warranty, light weight, gas piston, reliable after breaking in, simple design.

It is not an AR, but a reliable light weight carbine that is legal out of the box and can take pre-ban magazines with no worries. It is a newer design that is compact and great for backpacking.

My SU-16CA is my go to rifle, over all others. I know it better than all of my other rifles and it is 100% reliable with all the ammo I've fed it.

Now if they would just add/release a bayonet lug and create a stock that is not hollow,

Weight wise for carrying the std stock is epic but yeah to shoot a little more weight would help but they ARE killer rifles.... Soooo much hate for Minis and Kel-Tecs on here... they all have there place... The Kel-Tec IS my backpack rifle...

I have them all because I need them all...

HUTCH 7.62
11-29-2009, 10:48 AM
Sell me that club cheap then... (I think I have asked this everytime you bash the mini) Anyway I think it's you... But either way lemme buy that "club" CHEAP... Do it... :)

I would feel guilty if you got killed cause that thing jammed in a fire fight.

I did however sell my Kel-tec and threads like this make me wish I did'nt sell it. But with the scare of those things blowing up at around 2000 rnds I wanted to sell it before it was worth nothing.

sgtbuck
11-29-2009, 5:51 PM
I would feel guilty if you got killed cause that thing jammed in a fire fight.

I did however sell my Kel-tec and threads like this make me wish I did'nt sell it. But with the scare of those things blowing up at around 2000 rnds I wanted to sell it before it was worth nothing.

AWWW come on really now... I have seen just as many pics of ARs that have blown up. I have also seen videos of AKs blowing up. All rifles can blow up for many different reasons. Keltec fixed there problem and repaired all rifles free of charge that were in question.

Bug Splat
11-29-2009, 7:45 PM
^was that an off-hand 10 shot group using wolf ammo?

Yup and I was firing from the hip too :D