PDA

View Full Version : Picture/email attachment problems

retired
11-28-2009, 11:55 AM
Two questions that I hope you techies can answer. If you can, please dumb it down as I'm computer illiterate.

I have a MacG5 and here are the problems.

1. Frequently when I try to open an attachment sent to me in an email, I only get code, no pic. It doesn't make a difference who sends it to me as I've had this happen from people in different states. This happens whether I use Safari or Firefox. Why?

2. When looking at threads where someone here is posting pics, I sometimes only see a small blue box with a white ? in it. Other times I get a larger box that says "image shack," or some other photo site, but no pic.

I know other people in the thread are seeing tyhe pic (s) because they are commenting on them. Why?

I also have a pc and have the same problem. The pc has Firefox's latest version as does the Mac, but it has always done this IIRC.

My brother and son both say they sometimes get that small blue box with the white ? also, but very, very infrequently. I get it a lot.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

retired
11-29-2009, 1:46 PM
14 views, and no computer experts with an answer.:eek::(

Librarian
11-29-2009, 2:37 PM
Two questions that I hope you techies can answer. If you can, please dumb it down as I'm computer illiterate.

1. Frequently when I try to open an attachment sent to me in an email, I only get code, no pic. It doesn't make a difference who sends it to me as I've had this happen from people in different states. This happens whether I use Safari or Firefox. Why?

2. When looking at threads where someone here is posting pics, I sometimes only see a small blue box with a white ? in it. Other times I get a larger box that says "image shack," or some other photo site, but no pic.

I know other people in the thread are seeing tyhe pic (s) because they are commenting on them. Why?

I also have a pc and have the same problem. The pc has Firefox's latest version as does the Mac, but it has always done this IIRC.

My brother and son both say they sometimes get that small blue box with the white ? also, but very, very infrequently. I get it a lot.

2nd question first - see what Firefox is set to in Preferences/Content - is 'Load images automatically' checked?

Here's the Mozilla help page about images:
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Images+or+animations+do+not+show?s=images

In Apple Mail, look at Preferences/Viewing - see if 'display remote images in html' is checked. You may not want to do that.

See this brief discussion at the Apple Support site: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=10353042

Rivers
11-29-2009, 5:42 PM

1- What version of the OS? Is the OS up to date via Software Update system preferences?

Before and after doing software updates, open Apple's Disk Utility (Macintosh HD>Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility) and verify disk permissions. When done, repair disk permissions. Do not skip straight to repair. (95% of the time, no prob. That last 5% will bite you in the backside really bad!)

2- are you using web-based email like inside Google Mail, or are you using Apple Mail? Is your email set to display HTML email or text-only? In Apple Mail, under View>Message>

If an image is referenced like in a web page, with dimensions set for the image box on the web page, but no image file is at the location specified in the HTML code, you'll get the ? mark. If an image file is corrupt, same issue. You can check by right-clicking on the image, copy image link, open a new browser window, paste copied link into the URL address field, click enter. If that fails also, look at the link text you pasted. If there are any spaces in someone's image file name, you will see "%20" (without quotes) instead of the space in the file name. You can try to fix that but typically, it's a FAIL on the poster's part. Spaces are illegal HTML coding characters.

Hope this helps.