PDA

View Full Version : So I've been reading about AKs

BRANDON7766
11-28-2009, 7:52 AM
So I've been reading about AKs and it's a bit confusing to figure out which is which. I have a few questions:

1. Which AKs of quality are legal here in Kalifnornia?

2. These kits that are all over the net, do I need a machine shop to put one together or are they plug and play like the ARs? Are they just missing the OLL?

3. There are polish, WASR, Bulgarian, Hungarian etc. can someone explain the difference or point out a website that will briefly explain them?

any extra info is appreciated, I know there are some AK buffs out there than can explain it all in a few paragraphs.

Thanks...

69Mach1
11-28-2009, 8:02 AM
So I've been reading about AKs and it's a bit confusing to figure out which is which. I have a few questions:

1. Which AKs of quality are legal here in Kalifnornia?

2. These kits that are all over the net, do I need a machine shop to put one together or are they plug and play like the ARs? Are they just missing the OLL?

3. There are polish, WASR, Bulgarian, Hungarian etc. can someone explain the difference or point out a website that will briefly explain them?

any extra info is appreciated, I know there are some AK buffs out there than can explain it all in a few paragraphs.

Thanks...

1. CA legal:
Chinese MAK 91, BWK 92, Clayco
Hungarian SA 85M
Bulgarian SA M7 (5)
Romanian kit builds from Lancaster
Yugo M70 (Century)
These are just some

2. Parts kit's are missing the receiver. It's much more involved than putting together an AR. Many moor tools are involved. Join a build party. Previous post.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=219040

3. Check out this thread for details.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=170462

There are just too many to list. Or sign up for the akforums.

Mainly, there are two types of receivers. Milled and stamped. Then each different country has a distinctive feature, but maintain the same major parts.

CSACANNONEER
11-28-2009, 8:06 AM
1. Any AK which is not listed and does not meet the definition of AW.

2. You can DIY if you have some basic tools but, going to a build party is definately the best way to go. Lots of people there to help you.

2b. You will need to understand all laws regarding your build before you start. There are both state AW laws and Federal laws regulation just what you can and can not do with your build. You will need to build a rifle with no more than ten imported parts. So, you will need a few US made replacement parts to complete your build. If building a pistol, US made parts are not needed.

3. There are so many different styles and I highly doubt that any one sorce will cover ever variation. You can use google to find a few websites that should cover most of them.

Also, there is a big difference between building a milled receiver and building a stamped receiver gun. The stamped receiver builds are much more common and easier to do. The milled receiver kits tend to be a bit cheaper but, the receivers are A LOT more!

BRANDON7766
11-28-2009, 8:35 AM
1. Any AK which is not listed and does not meet the definition of AW.

...some must be better than others. I know that Lancaster and Arsenal build good US AK47s/AK74s but am looking for what imports are better than others.

Norinco's better than Bulgarians better than Polish Tantals? specifics would be great.

Cobrafreak
11-28-2009, 8:40 AM
I recently purchased a new Saiga 7.62x39 and converted it to a featureless AK build. Cost about $1000.00 . It was a fun project and is a brand new Izhmash factory AK of decent quality.

CSACANNONEER
11-28-2009, 8:50 AM
...some must be better than others. I know that Lancaster and Arsenal build good US AK47s/AK74s but am looking for what imports are better than others.

Norinco's better than Bulgarians better than Polish Tantals? specifics would be great.

IMHO, there are really only two type of AKs, those with stamped receivers and those with milled receivers. Everything else is just about fit, finish and a choice in hardware. All of them will work. Precision and accuracy have more to do with the exact barrel than who put it together. In the end, if you want something that looks perfect, you're going to pay more for it. But, since when are real military AKs built to look perfect? They just slap them together and they work. They are just AKs. It's more about they style you want and if you want to pay more for a prettier looking gun than about how well they work.