PDA

View Full Version : How many of you carry something for self defense?

TonyNorCal
11-06-2005, 4:04 PM
I am curious how many of you carry something ~ pepper spray, firearm, knife, stun gun, etc. ~ for self defense?

I recently started jogging with a little can of pepper spray which fits in the palm of the hand and is secured via a flexible strap. It has a thumb toggle action. It's basic purpose is against dogs...but also against people should the need arise. I also have sometimes slipped it into my pocket when going out sometimes, not as readily deployable, but better than nothing I suppose.

blacklisted
11-06-2005, 5:10 PM
I used to carry a Benchmade "Mini Griptilian" wherever I went (got the mini with its 2.9" blade because I wasn't sure about the local codes about blades over 3 inches). But it mysteriously disappeared, so now I have nothing.

NYC2SoCal
11-06-2005, 5:14 PM
SOG Flash II, and a Surefire 6P. Might consider going for CCW next year.

Scarman
11-06-2005, 5:44 PM
Good question. My wife and I usually go for a walk after the kids are down for bed. I've been taking my Surefire Z2 combat light along, but I've been thinking about carrying something for protection. I don't have a ccw so maybe some pepper spray would be in order.

We live in a nice area so I doubt that there would ever be a need for a firearm on our evening walks, but... there are times when nice neighborhoods get hit too.

Gang activity has been high lately and the police are dealing with it aggressively. I've been noticing that even the average street cops on patrol have been wearing some body armor and light tactical gear lately.

I'll be interested to see what others have to say on the subject.

blacklisted
11-06-2005, 6:26 PM
Gang activity has been high lately and the police are dealing with it aggressively. I've been noticing that even the average street cops on patrol have been wearing some body armor and light tactical gear lately.

My little brother told me yesterday that the School Resource Officer at his school came to the Halloween assembly in SWAT gear with an mp5.

Most of the officers around here wear body armor as well. The one at my school (the only one I walked within a few feet of) wore some bulky body armor every day (Type III or IV?).

dadoody
11-06-2005, 6:30 PM
I carry a can of FoxLabs Fogger Spray @ 5.3 MILLION SHUs

Gnote
11-06-2005, 6:42 PM
Have pepper spray for when I jog or ride my bicycle.

bu-bye
11-06-2005, 10:52 PM
I carry a Kershaw open assist knife on me everyday and a breaker bar in my car next to me seat. As for Knife laws in Cali its very funny. Cali is just about the only state that does not have a size limite for folding knife. At least thats the way it was the last time I checked like a year ago. So you can carry a 12" knife but only if its a folding knife. I used to carry a nice big 5.5 inch folding knife for a little over 2 years but it scared to many women and children so I dropped down to the Kershaw.

saki302
11-07-2005, 12:45 AM
Emerson P-SARK folding knife in the pocket- always. I use the thing so much daily if I don't carry SOME clip-type pocket knife I'm always looking for something to cut with.
I also keep a can of Sabre pepper/CS combo gas in the truck. I had the misfortune of accidentally spraying my hand once- it burned for 13 hours- nasty stuff!

-Dave

50 Freak
11-07-2005, 1:45 AM
I'm one of the few lucky ones. I carry a Glock 27 and have just picked up a Seecamp as my "mouse gun". I also make it a point to carry the ASP palm protector pepper spray.

My CCW instructor advised me it was good to carry a lesser form of protection other than a pistol. That way I had the choice as too whether to meet a threat with either lethal or non-lethal force.

BigAL
11-07-2005, 8:48 AM
I carry a Glock 19. Occasionally I also pack a small can of Fox labs OC spray but pocket space is getting hard to come by.

walkerboh4269
11-07-2005, 9:11 AM
At home and work I carry my Ruger P89.

As most of my time is spent in either place I do not have much time when I am "unarmed". However I am plan to apply for a CCW here in San Bernardino county. The I will carry everywhere I go.

M1A Rifleman
11-07-2005, 10:15 AM
Benchmade AFCK - City
1911A1 or M1 Garand or M1A Forest Area & road trips

lazyman
11-07-2005, 11:04 AM
I carry a surfire E2D Defender and a big o can of OC spray in a bianchi holster.

1911_sfca
11-07-2005, 1:05 PM
I carry a remi 870 express with mag extension tube and side saddle on a 1 point sling under my duster jacket.

Turbinator
11-07-2005, 2:36 PM
For those of you who carry knives, do you have any formal training in using knives for defense? Personally, while I think having something is better than having nothing, I'd probably end up hurting myself with a knife, as I have time and time again in the past. In fact, I have no hand to hand combat training at all. I'd have to rely on my "fight or flight" instincts, and for all I know, I'm going to end up looking like a girl if I fight!

Turby

MrTuffPaws
11-07-2005, 2:52 PM
I carry a remi 870 express with mag extension tube and side saddle on a 1 point sling under my duster jacket.

This scares me. :eek:

For me, it is a folder clipped to my pocket when I know that I am going into areas that are not considered safe.

No CCW, so guns are not an option and the county I live in is not friendly to the idea of issuing permits. Though, a misdemeanor is better than a stab/gunshot wound any day.

NYC2SoCal
11-07-2005, 3:20 PM
For those of you who carry knives, do you have any formal training in using knives for defense? Personally, while I think having something is better than having nothing, I'd probably end up hurting myself with a knife, as I have time and time again in the past. In fact, I have no hand to hand combat training at all. I'd have to rely on my "fight or flight" instincts, and for all I know, I'm going to end up looking like a girl if I fight!

Turby

No formal training, but I did grow up in some of the real bad parts of NYC. Street fighting/knife fighting was learned on the street. When guns got popular, I got off the street.. ;)

Charliegone
11-07-2005, 5:52 PM
Well, my father was in the Salvadorian military and told me if confronted by someone with a knife or in situation where a knife were to start, it is important to have one hand wrapped up to protect yourself. A shirt would work. Knife in one hand and a shirt in the other for protection from the cut and stab.

Pulsar
11-07-2005, 6:35 PM
it's not much, and probably won't help me what so ever, but I carry a 3" S&W knife a friend gave to me years ago. I don't really carry it for defense, it's just a tool, but I always take it when I go jogging in a park near my apartment, not really cause I'm worried about people, but cause I live in the mountains and it's not all that uncommon for me to spot a cougar or coyote on my frequent jogging trips. I know a knife isn't gonna save me from a cougar, but I'd like to think I can take the cougar with me :rolleyes:

And I do have formal training in knife fighting, plus 5 years of fencing, thoguh I doubt either would help me against a cougar.

-hanko
11-08-2005, 6:53 AM
Colt lightweight officer model ;-)

-hanko