PDA

View Full Version : Can't find any AR 80% lowers

jjperl
11-28-2009, 12:31 AM
I have not been able to find any AR-15 80% lower dealers that still have them in stock. Every one that offers them for sale is currently sold out.

Anyone know of a place that still has some in stock?

Josh3239
11-28-2009, 12:47 AM
Billet, solid FCG: http://www.yellowlogic.net/marine-electronics/BILLET/15ALT080.html

Forged, open magwell and FCG: https://www.dlaskarms.com//product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=9&osCsid=432721a3e25f9011f7f69353f402e858

Forged, open magwell and FCG, no mag release: http://www.americanspiritarms.com/products/ASA_80_Percent_Lower_Receiver-28-3.html

jjperl
11-28-2009, 1:00 AM
:eek: They're all $200 and above for 80% lowers. I can buy one finished for way less than that. Jesus!

Dangerpin
11-28-2009, 1:20 AM
Yeah, I understand this gives more options in a lot of ways but you'd think they would cost the same or less than a standard lower.

Trendkill
11-28-2009, 1:24 AM
Yeah, I understand this gives more options in a lot of ways but you'd think they would cost the same or less than a standard lower.

Having a paperless receiver..??? Priceless.

bm-bill
11-28-2009, 9:00 AM
Here you go:

http://www.tacticalmachining.com/products.php?pid=28

Contact Nathan at Tactical Machining (he has a post in the commercial deals thread). I think he is still selling to Calguns for $75 each. They are supposed to be really nice.

Here is the thread:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=233072

jjperl
11-28-2009, 12:32 PM
$75 is more like it. Thanks!

Peter W Bush
11-28-2009, 12:38 PM
Ive bought 5 from TM and theyre solid

nemisis1400
11-28-2009, 1:14 PM
+1 for tactical machining, got 2 and they finished up great! I kinda wanna fire them in it's unpainted aluminum so i can say "yes i built this myself"

jjperl
11-28-2009, 6:49 PM
Just purchased one. If it meets my standards I will be purchasing more. Looks good though and the price seems right.

gn3hz3ku1*
11-28-2009, 9:36 PM
yea i dont get why people are selling lowers that has less work into it for more than finished lowers... whata rip

ke6guj
11-28-2009, 10:18 PM
yea i dont get why people are selling lowers that has less work into it for more than finished lowers... whata ripIts called "economies of scale". The number of 100% receivers is probably a 100x the number of 80% receivers. The vendors making the 100% receiver are making tons of them and due to Economies of Scale can probably make a 100% receiver for less money than the vendors making the 80% receivers can make one of their own.

Realize than many of those 100% receiver companies may make thousands of receiver in a run, so the costs can be averaged across a large number of receivers. Many of hte 80%'er production runs are probably no more than a couple hundred at the most. Less production to average costs = larger price per receiver.

technique
11-28-2009, 10:19 PM
I just got a 80% made by Sundevil...It cost me $50.

sd1023x
11-28-2009, 10:21 PM
Having a paperless receiver..??? Priceless.

Why?

gn3hz3ku1*
11-28-2009, 10:23 PM
Why?

so unclesam does not know you have it

Josh3239
11-28-2009, 11:16 PM
Uncle Sam doesn't know you have it anyways, atleast not without some homework. If they went to the manufacturer all they would see is it was at one point transferred to you. There is nothing to show that you still have it and that you didn't sell it later. So short of buying straight from the manufacturer it is extremely difficult to track, especially for out of state transfers and paperless face to face sales in states that allow it.

sd1023x
11-28-2009, 11:25 PM
Uncle Sam doesn't know you have it anyways, atleast not without some homework. If they went to the manufacturer all they would see is it was at one point transferred to you. There is nothing to show that you still have it and that you didn't sell it later. So short of buying straight from the manufacturer it is extremely difficult to track, especially for out of state transfers and paperless face to face sales in states that allow it.

Yup

FastFinger
11-28-2009, 11:47 PM
Its called "economies of scale". The number of 100% receivers is probably a 100x the number of 80% receivers. The vendors making the 100% receiver are making tons of them and due to Economies of Scale can probably make a 100% receiver for less money than the vendors making the 80% receivers can make one of their own.

Realize than many of those 100% receiver companies may make thousands of receiver in a run, so the costs can be averaged across a large number of receivers. Many of hte 80%'er production runs are probably no more than a couple hundred at the most. Less production to average costs = larger price per receiver.

I'm glad someone asked about the oddity of an uncompleted item costing more than a completed one - and no, despite this explanation - it still doesn't make much sense.

Let's assume that the Washington bureaucrats actually get this right, and these are 80% complete. That means to finish them will take about 20% more effort, and cost. Plus when finished it becomes a firearm instead of a paper weight, so it will require additional paperwork - yet more resources.

About the only thing that would justify these being more costly is that since the mag well isn't machined out they weigh a bit more, but not that much more.

Now then not a lot of folks go the 80% route, probably less than 1% would be 80% jobs, so yes, it would take a bit of extraordinary effort to divert that small amount of work in progress off the production line, but "extraordinary" doesn't mean additional, just different.

I see it no different than a service. If I ask our gardener to just do the frontyard this week, and forget about the backyard, I don't expect him to charge me extra for that request.

Note that I'm not commenting on why someone would pay extra for an 80% chunk of metal - my flat bent AK probably cost me as much to complete as a fully built AK, then again an AK flat cost about 20% of a bent receiver. But if someone is willing to pay more for an incomplete item, I have no problem with a seller relieving the buyer of his funds.

ke6guj
11-29-2009, 12:03 AM
Let's assume that the Washington Bureaucrats actully git this right, and these are 80% complete. That means to finish them will take about 20% more effort, and cost. Plus when finished it becomes a firearm instead of a paper weight, so it will require additional paperwork - yet more resourcesthat is true. But realize that most 100% vendors do not even offer an 80% option, so you aren't comparing apples to apples in terms of the cost of production.

I see it no different that a service. If I ask our gardener to just do the front yard this week, and forget about the backyard, I don't expect him to charge me extra for that request.

Think about it this way, your normal gardener will mow your front and back yard for $20 a week, but that price is set because he does half the yards on your block, so they have an entire crew there to spread out the cost. You want to just have your front yard done this week, but that gardener doesn't offer "front yard only" service, so you have to call out a different gardener to do the job. But since you are the only customer in the area, they have to charge you $40 for that one time deal, to make it worth their time. Same thing trying to compare a Bushmaster knocking out tens of thousands of 100% lowers to a one-man shop producing a couple hundred 80% lowers. Places like Bushmaster are running massive runs on production CNC centers, where the 80%'ers may have been working with just some DRO's mills or a CNC'ed knee mill.

But now, you have a company that is offering both 80% and 100% lowers, with the 80%'ers running $75 and 100%'ers costing $100. In that case, you can compare apples-to-apples the cost of a lower, since the same company offers both, made on the same equipment.

VaderSpade
11-29-2009, 8:24 AM
I just got a 80% made by Sundevil...It cost me $50.

Was that a one time "good deal" or can some of the rest of us get in on it???
If so please post details, and links.
Thanks

Swatguy10_15
11-29-2009, 8:47 AM
Was that a one time "good deal" or can some of the rest of us get in on it???
If so please post details, and links.
Thanks

I second that! Would just like to try the 80% concept out..I really dont believe uncle sam has no idea who owns what. Everytime you buy (and now sell) a weapon you fill out a form and the buyer gets dros'ed...IM sure theyre keeping tabs to an extent..

Steve O
11-29-2009, 2:43 PM
+1 for tactical machining, got 2 and they finished up great! I kinda wanna fire them in it's unpainted aluminum so i can say "yes i built this myself"

And you can stamp your name or family crest on them before you send them out for anodizing!

technique
11-29-2009, 3:42 PM
Sorry guys...they were made for a company to use at shows. They demoed uppers and stuff on em. Just happened on them being sold off.