PDA

View Full Version : Noob question - Match v. Standard primers

Chris M
11-25-2009, 11:31 AM
I searched the forum, but was unable to come up with an answer.

What's the difference between Match primers and Standard primers? Are Match primers OK for hunting situations?

I'm just starting to get into reloading, and have been searching every day - sometimes several times a day - to find Large Rifle primers on sale (besides the $45 + $22.50 ones at Bruno's). Today, I spotted some Large Rifle Match primers on Natchez, and bought 5,000.

I'm starting out by reloading 30-06, mainly for hunting. Should I use these primers?

Feel free to call me an idiot for dropping $200+ on something that I'm not 100% sure I can use.

Jicko
11-25-2009, 11:34 AM
OK for hunting.

Match primers are generally more expensive, the production quality and tolerance is tighter, therefore, you, generally, will get better stddev and extreme spread on your muzzle velocity...... in turn, produce better groupings....

You can certainly use that for hunting, even tho, in hunting, your accuracy "requirement" is generally a little slacker than for "matches", so, you can get away with using "non-match" grade primers.

tamalpias
11-25-2009, 11:38 AM
you can use them. They are suppose to be done by expert technicians with years of service and been known to pour the most consistent amounts of primer charge in the primer cups according to some of these primer makers. All I have to say is my friend uses benchrest CCI primers and had 4 failures per 1k and I have ZERO using just the standard CCI primers. :laugh:

And yes there is a considerable price difference. ;)

Leon75x55
11-25-2009, 11:39 AM
The only difference is the shooter. Nothing will help you if you can't hit the side of the barn.

Jicko
11-25-2009, 11:40 AM
you can use them. They are suppose to be done by expert technicians with years of service and been known to pour the most consistent amounts of primer charge in the primer cups according to some of these primer makers. All I have to say is my friend uses benchrest CCI primers and had 4 failures per 1k and I have ZERO using just the standard CCI primers. :laugh:

Please elborate on those failures. I had used CCI BR2 extensively (many many thousands) and I *never* had any failures!!!

Chris M
11-25-2009, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the info.

Not at Natchez:
http://www.natchezss.com/category.cfm?category=6&brand=FA&catLevel=1

$31 for Federal Standard Large Rifle primers
$34 for Federal Match Large Rifle Primers

I understand that other sites may have the standard primers for $25-$29 per 1000. In the long run, I don't think the extra 0.5 - 1.0 penny per primer is going to break the bank.

tamalpias
11-25-2009, 3:47 PM
Please elborate on those failures. I had used CCI BR2 extensively (many many thousands) and I *never* had any failures!!!
Pulled trigger and primer did not go pop. simple as that.

Thanks for the info.

Not at Natchez:
http://www.natchezss.com/category.cfm?category=6&brand=FA&catLevel=1

$31 for Federal Standard Large Rifle primers
$34 for Federal Match Large Rifle Primers

I understand that other sites may have the standard primers for $25-$29 per 1000. In the long run, I don't think the extra 0.5 - 1.0 penny per primer is going to break the bank.

I was remembering the CCI prices when we bought them from Midway USA

CCI Large Rifle Bench Rest Primers #BR2 Box of 1000 (10 Trays of 100)
Product #:
Out of Stock, No Backorder
Our Price:
$44.49

CCI Large Rifle Primers #200 Box of 1000 (10 Trays of 100)
Product #:
Our Price:
$29.99

From 30 bucks to 45 bucks you are talking about 1/3 more. It makes a difference to me. :D

ocabj
11-25-2009, 3:52 PM
It was only 5 years ago when I paid $27 per brick on CCI BR2/BR4 and that was a local store and not online.

Chris M
11-25-2009, 3:54 PM
I was remembering the CCI prices when we bought them from Midway USA

CCI Large Rifle Bench Rest Primers #BR2 Box of 1000 (10 Trays of 100)
Product #:
Our Price:
$44.49

CCI Large Rifle Primers #200 Box of 1000 (10 Trays of 100)
Product #:
Our Price:
$29.99

From 30 bucks to 45 bucks you are talking about 1/3 more. It makes a difference to me. :D

OK, yeah, a 50% increase in cost will definitely make a dent in the wallet. The difference I paid was a little less than a 10% increase.

Jonathan Doe
11-25-2009, 4:56 PM
I have experimented a lot with different primers. In my experience, Federal Match primers gave me most consistent velocity and standard deviation of less than 10 among several 10 shot groups. Wolf primers beat my loads with Federal primers lately.

I will gladly pay significantly higher price for the good primers for match loads. Primers are still cheapest component in reloading, even match primers.

brando
11-25-2009, 5:36 PM
Wolf primers perform surprisingly well. In general, think of the difference between primers in similar terms to the difference between factory standard ammo and match ammo - it's all about consistency. Most batches are differentiated by the operator: the more skilled operators make match primers

NRAhighpowershooter
11-25-2009, 6:03 PM

I too have shot several K of both large and small rifle Benchrest primers with not one single failure.....

tamalpias
11-25-2009, 6:16 PM
possibly be a bad batch? The 2,000 BR primers he bought where from the same lot number. I have one of his bullets that didn't fire sitting at my desk as proof. :laugh:

shadowofnight
11-25-2009, 9:04 PM

I bought 20K of the BR-2's some years back....only have 3K left...every single one went bang as well.