PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a FFL in San Diego

Meety Peety
11-24-2009, 9:33 PM
Hey there, does anyone know of an FFL in San Diego that will handle a transfer from Bud's Gun Shop (Online store) without:

A) Charging a fortune for the gun to be shipped in
B) Complaining and/or refusing service because the gun was purchased online and not from their store

I'm really just looking for a very specific gun that no one seems to have (New OR Used) and Bud's is the only place that I can find who stocks it. I've called around and the few stores who can/will order the gun for me want at least $100+ more than Bud's.. blah. Long story short this seems to be the way I have to go. Any info? Thanks!

mossberg500
11-24-2009, 9:35 PM
Hey there, does anyone know of an FFL in San Diego that will handle a transfer from Bud's Gun Shop (Online store) without:

A) Charging a fortune for the gun to be shipped in
B) Complaining and/or refusing service because the gun was purchased online and not from their store

I'm really just looking for a very specific gun that no one seems to have (New OR Used) and Bud's is the only place that I can find who stocks it. I've called around and the few stores who can/will order the gun for me want at least $100+ more than Bud's.. blah. Long story short this seems to be the way I have to go. Any info? Thanks!

good luck on finding one, they will charge you at least 100+

Meety Peety
11-24-2009, 9:46 PM
Lol.. I already have one for $75. Looking to see if theres on for less first. If the shops around here want $100 more for the gun.. and its a $100 transfer fee from Bud's.. I wouldn't be buying online. I'm thinking theres gotta be at least one store somewhere down here that will handle it for $50 or so. If not, I guess the $75 fee still saves me $50.

Federalist
11-24-2009, 10:15 PM
Gussler's in Santee
(619) 258-2543

He is the best. Very fair prices. Does on-line FFL transfers. Black rifle friendly. A SD Calgunner favorite.

PolishMike
11-24-2009, 10:17 PM
Gusslers is like $65(don't quote me on that, but near there) INCLUDING the DROS. He is hands down the best FFL in San Diego county.

PolishMike
11-24-2009, 10:18 PM
Lol.. I already have one for $75. Looking to see if theres on for less first. If the shops around here want $100 more for the gun.. and its a $100 transfer fee from Bud's.. I wouldn't be buying online. I'm thinking theres gotta be at least one store somewhere down here that will handle it for $50 or so. If not, I guess the $75 fee still saves me $50.

I doubt a store will do that. Think about it - why would it be in their interest? The whole point of charging the fee is so that online vendors that don't need to pay for overhead can't undercut pricing.

SDJim
11-24-2009, 11:29 PM
Gussler's in Santee
(619) 258-2543

He is the best. Very fair prices. Does on-line FFL transfers. Black rifle friendly. A SD Calgunner favorite.

+1 for Don Gussler, plus I know Bud's has his FFL on file.

Meety Peety
11-24-2009, 11:55 PM
Awesome guys, thanks a bunch. I'll check Gussler's out. For some reason I vaguely remember hearing something about him being a kitchen table FFL, yes? Maybe I'm thinking about someone else.

Also, I figured with the way things are going as of late with some stores lowering their prices just to keep their business.. maybe the same went for transfers. I know the guy who will do it for $75 used to charge $100.. until people pretty much stopped going there entirely for transfers. I frequent his store so we chat from time to time about it. On a side note, transfers are almost free money for the FFL.. not to mention incentive for the buyer to pick up a few things when they go in for DROS/pickup.. it seems against their interest to charge so much when everyone else charges less. Not to mention with no sales tax and free shipping from Bud's, no local shop is going to come close to their price, regardless of their transfer fee. On top of that, most shops have told me straight out that they can't get their hands on the gun I want, and if they could they'd be paying as much to get it as I am now.

Well anywhoo, thanks again for the info, I'll definately be giving Gussler's a call!

Digital_Boy
11-25-2009, 12:19 AM
Yes, Don literally runs his storefront out of his garage, but he's also very reasonable on transfers. He didn't bat an eye when I bought a Sig P220 from Thunderbird Armory and had it shipped to him for DROS, only charged $60 for the transfer, and $10 or so for the CA mandatory cable padlock.

ParallaxTactical.com
11-25-2009, 12:27 AM
Hopefully us in a few months... :p

ENTHUSIAST
11-25-2009, 1:03 AM
Gusslers done deal.

missiondude
11-25-2009, 8:00 AM
Gusslers done deal.

What he said, and he is on file with Buds....

glock_this
11-25-2009, 8:07 AM
Gussler's in Santee
(619) 258-2543

agreed...

but now we just need to get him to handle AR pistols as he is still "waiting to see how it all plays out"

SDProtection
11-25-2009, 1:18 PM
I'll at least throw my hat in the ring. Haven't been around the block like Gussler's as I am just staring out, but we charge $60+DROS. We are located in Poway (Pomerado Road and Poway Road.) Website is below also have over 10,000 items to pick from if you need accessories or want to price weapons.

If that helps great, if not best of luck to you.

John

Poway Weapons & Gear
888-900-4188
www.weaponsandgear.com

glock_this
11-25-2009, 1:24 PM
I'll at least throw my hat in the ring. Haven't been around the block like Gussler's as I am just staring out, but we charge $60+DROS. We are located in Poway (Pomerado Road and Poway Road.) Website is below also have over 10,000 items to pick from if you need accessories or want to price weapons.

If that helps great, if not best of luck to you.

John

Poway Weapons & Gear
888-900-4188
www.weaponsandgear.com

will you DROS AR pistols? IF so, what configuration?

lorax3
11-25-2009, 1:34 PM
but now we just need to get him to handle AR pistols as he is still "waiting to see how it all plays out"

Yeah, I will give him major kudos for still dealing with AR's and AK's. I'm sure he will jump on the AR/AK pistol bandwagon sooner or later.

glock_this
11-25-2009, 1:52 PM
Yeah, I will give his major kudos for still dealing with AR's and AK's. I'm sure he will jump on the AR/AK pistol bandwagon sooner or later.

I think straight AR's are easy and a dime a dozen to do. Every time I have been to him, someone is doing something AR related. Old hat anymore and not real pitfalls or unknowns.

but the pistol thing.. it is hard for me to follow - can't have upper unless you have lower, but cant have lower unless you have complete, cant buy pistol unless it is complete, maybe can buy upper with no lower IF you have no other ARs to mount it to in your possession, FFL will only deal with if complete, some might deal with just lower, huh, what, come again.. PITA.

I could have already bought, DROS'd and built several ARs in the time I have been slowly researching this to try to fully understand it. That is why it might just be easier to find one already built and imported as a single shot and converted to 10rnd and just buy it that way. IF I can even find one and IF I can even find an FFL local to wanna deal.

Anyway, really seems more of a pain for buyer than the FFL. But I suspect your right, in time he will start to do them just like in time he started to do ARs, but would not back in 2005'ish.

SDProtection
11-26-2009, 1:34 PM
will you DROS AR pistols? IF so, what configuration?

I am also treading very lightly on this. As of now, I am holding off on the AR Pistol world until I get a lot better understanding of how DOJ is looking at these. I see a ton of pitfalls all based on the mood of the DOJ, not necessarily the poorly written laws.

ENTHUSIAST
11-27-2009, 12:46 AM
Well then I guess us SD boys are gonna still have to take the long drive both ways to either OC or Riverside for the AR/AK Pistols... oh well. :)

P.S. Welcome to the forum SDProtection, I will have to stop by next time I am in Poway.

Dollar
11-27-2009, 6:43 AM
Unique Pawn 'used' to be cheap. It was something like $45 plus dros or $30 for leo plus dros. But I checked thier site recently and they bumped it to $100 plus dros and a little cheaper for leo.

glock_this
11-27-2009, 7:14 AM
$45 to $100 is no "bump" - that is more like hop+skip+jump+bump+bend over

powaybob
11-30-2009, 12:24 PM
I have done a FFL transfer with John at Poway Weapons and Gear. He is super friendly and works hard for your transfer.

I highly recommend him.

glock_this
11-30-2009, 12:43 PM
kind of useful

http://shooting.forsandiego.com/Stores.html

John Z
12-03-2009, 4:40 PM
Well then I guess us SD boys are gonna still have to take the long drive both ways to either OC or Riverside for the AR/AK Pistols... oh well. :)

P.S. Welcome to the forum SDProtection, I will have to stop by next time I am in Poway.

Bummer!!! On the list from Henderson for the Draco Pistol only to hear this.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=242635

I thought Don Gussler would do this and I asked him personally and the answer was a "no". I was about to ask if anyone here knows a SD FFL who'd do the transfer but the answer seems to be a resounding "no". :(

glock_this
12-03-2009, 4:49 PM
Bummer!!! On the list from Henderson for the Draco Pistol only to hear this.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=242635

I thought Don Gussler would do this and I asked him personally and the answer was a "no". I was about to ask if anyone here knows a SD FFL who'd do the transfer but the answer seems to be a resounding "no". :(

OC drive it is.... OC Armory, Rifle Gear, Bright Spot Pawn up in Riverside

National Police Supply will do it for $100 :eek:

karthaginian
12-04-2009, 1:50 PM
DeChiel Firearms (google it) - Mitch is an old Navy Flier and is in Chula Vista. Very knowledgeable, very polite. I've dealt with Don too, good guy; either of these guys charge about the same (around $55-$60). Much more reasonable than retailers.