PDA

View Full Version : seagate 1.5 TB usb external drive

rjf
11-24-2009, 7:03 AM
The first one I bought at Fry's was clicking, then file access was slow. I retrieved my data and returned the unit for a new one.

The replacement clicks also. tick tick ..... but not all the time. I think this one is turning to junk also.

drives are not supposed to click correct?

Anyone else have issues with these?

bigmike82
11-24-2009, 7:34 AM
Clicks are actually somewhat normal on a hard drive.

Clicks combined with other symptoms are not.

If you're wondering why a hard drive clicks, open up an old one. It's very cool seeing the inner mechanisms.

kapache
11-24-2009, 10:37 AM
from personal experience TB drives usually go bad faster than a 500GB drive does. This is do to the amount of work the platters undergo when reading and writing data.

ocabj
11-24-2009, 5:22 PM
TB drives aren't a problem. We've got a bunch of Sun X4500/X4540s with 48 * 1TB SATA drives with no drive failures.

I've read of higher failure rates with Seagate 1.5TB drives, though. Not sure why. Haven't read of any reports regarding other 1.5TB drives.

JDay
11-24-2009, 5:47 PM
TB drives aren't a problem. We've got a bunch of Sun X4500/X4540s with 48 * 1G SATA drives with no drive failures.

I've read of higher failure rates with Seagate 1.5TB drives, though. Not sure why. Haven't read of any reports regarding other 1.5TB drives.

If I recall correctly Seagate fixed that issue with a firmware update.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1368178

kapache
11-25-2009, 10:00 AM
From what I have experience with most WD, SG, TB drives, is that the failure rate are higher than a smaller capacity drive. whether is on a Linux or Windows platform.

JDay
11-25-2009, 10:16 AM
From what I have experience with most WD, SG, TB drives, is that the failure rate are higher than a smaller capacity drive. whether is on a Linux or Windows platform.

The only difference between these larger drives and the smaller ones is the number of platters in them. The platters themselves never come into contact with the heads so there is no way they could be getting physically worn at a different rate.

bigmike82
11-25-2009, 9:53 PM
"The platters themselves never come into contact with the heads so there is no way they could be getting physically worn at a different rate. "
Ideally speaking, of course. I don't think never is good term to use, especially on computers.

More platters mean more heads, which means more parts and connections that can fail. I wouldn't be surprised that bigger drives fail at a higer rate, though I've not heard of this myself.

maschronic
11-25-2009, 10:00 PM
the reason why the external hd's above 1tb fail often is due to over heating. it isn't seagate. it is every manufacture. they fit way too many platters in a tiny frame. if you wanted to external usb hd, then get something less than 1tb.

if you were to get an internal 1.5tb hd for a desktop, you will not run into this problem. the hd is much larger. if it starts to over heat, you can add a fan.

Turbinator
11-28-2009, 7:59 AM
if you were to get an internal 1.5tb hd for a desktop, you will not run into this problem. the hd is much larger. if it starts to over heat, you can add a fan.

Pretty sure the HD's used in the external enclosure vs the desktop are going to be the same size and model. It stands to reason then that if you see failures in one, all things being equal, you will see failures in the other.

And drives in the Sun system are going to be different than the drives in the consumer products. Enterprise drives are more robust than desktop. Seagate's line has NS part #'s for their enterprise offerings, and AS part #'s for their desktop lineups. Check it out. :)

Turby

sfwdiy
11-28-2009, 11:27 AM
the reason why the external hd's above 1tb fail often is due to over heating. it isn't seagate. it is every manufacture. they fit way too many platters in a tiny frame. if you wanted to external usb hd, then get something less than 1tb.

They're the same drive. 5.25" SATA. When the enclosures go bad on the externals I crack the cases and use the drives in desktop machines.

--B