PDA

View Full Version : sights recommendation

mblat
11-01-2005, 6:30 PM
I have Remi 870 with no sights. Barrel is 18 inch long

What would you recommend for home defence situation mainly?

gunsnrovers
11-01-2005, 6:57 PM
meprolight front bead

MadMex
11-01-2005, 8:00 PM
What’s your shotty philosophy, spray and pray or well placed shots?

mblat
11-01-2005, 8:23 PM
I don't have enough training with shotgun to expect well placed shots.
After all it isn't my 9mm....

Gnote
11-01-2005, 8:34 PM
When I was looking, I really wanted to get one with ghost rings.

scott
11-02-2005, 9:25 PM
I've played around with a lot of sights. On a shotgun you really can't beat a dumb ol' bead for versatility. I have the Meprolight on my main home defense shotgun (like gunsnrovers mentioned) and like it a lot. However, it does take a bit of trickery to install because it's not round like a traditional bead. When you screw it in, when it's tight the glow portion has to be facing you.

The sight is aluminum. If you install it yourself you'll probably have to file the flat part little by little until it indexes correctly.

Specter6A
11-06-2005, 11:52 AM
For home defense/CQB applications a high-vis bead works just fine. However, training is just as critical as with any weapons system. Equally important is understanding how your shotgun patterns with the shotshell brand, lot # and load you're using (Each different load in each different weapon will pattern differently). In the A zone (0 - +/- 7 yds.) your pattern will still be small enough that the weapon will need to be deliberately aimed, as you would with a carbine. In this regard, ghost rings make the job easier. However, with enough practice you can be as fast and accurate with a bead.

If you ever intend to introduce longer distance shots with slugs, ghost rings/rifle sights are the only way to go and will have no detrimental effect on close range work.

saki302
11-06-2005, 2:59 PM
The rifle sights on my Benelli work great. If you squash your face down into the stock, you can use them as regular rifle sights. Hold your cheek softly against the stock, and the rear sight drops away leaving the front sight only to be used as a bead.

-Dave

LongBch_SigP226
11-09-2005, 8:34 PM
I have ghost ring on my Mossberg 590a1. Its easy to point and shoot quickly.
But it's not designed for night time use. You'll need some light for it to be used.
You shouldn't be shooting your gun in the pitch dark anyway without first identifying the threat(target).