PDA

View Full Version : Question about the legality of using a LaRue Magwell Jimmy Plug or similar device.

pacrimguru
11-23-2009, 12:49 PM
I have a question about the legality of using a LaRue Magwell Jimmy Plug or similar device. Is it legal in California, if I lock (with a Prince50 Bullet Button) in my AR15's magwell, a device such as the LaRue Magwell Plug or even an AR magazine body that does not have a follower or spring installed but does have its floor plate in place?

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/catalog/P4174266a.jpg

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=220

ke6guj
11-23-2009, 12:51 PM
for what reason would you think it is not legal?

is it a fixed magazine of more than 10-rounds?

Does it make the firearm now accept a detachable magazine?

Jicko
11-23-2009, 12:51 PM
Sure, why not?!

It is not even a magazine.

pacrimguru
11-23-2009, 12:54 PM
yea, i figured it would be ok, but you never know with california's strange laws. ok, so jimmy plug is ok locked in as is a mag with no spring or follower. got it, thanks!

putput
11-23-2009, 1:02 PM
Sweet. It's an $11 single shot sled for AR pistols. Now with storage space!

CHS
11-23-2009, 1:18 PM
Sweet. It's an $11 single shot sled for AR pistols. Now with storage space!

That's a really really good idea.

Cheapest single-shot exemption compliance piece I've found so far!

IllTemperedCur
11-23-2009, 3:22 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're using the Prince 50 maglock with the allen set-screw, yes? If so, you'll still have to be mindful of your assembly procedure when swapping the magwell plug for your 10rd mag prior to range use to ensure that you don't manufacture an AW, however briefly during the process.

You probably already know this, but it's worthwhile to note, just to be on the safe side.

bwiese
11-23-2009, 3:53 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're using the Prince 50 maglock with the allen set-screw, yes? If so, you'll still have to be mindful of your assembly procedure when swapping the magwell plug for your 10rd mag prior to range use to ensure that you don't manufacture an AW, however briefly during the process.

You probably already know this, but it's worthwhile to note, just to be on the safe side.

Very correct. Sequence is important when transitioning between certain configurations. Best bet is to take off upper.

pacrimguru
11-23-2009, 4:30 PM

i'm using a Prince 50 Bullet Button, not a Prince 50 Mag Lock. Two different things. Thanks for the heads up though.

AJAX22
11-23-2009, 5:07 PM
The jimmy plug was the FIRST I'll single shot conversion sled

I'm starting to feel old hangin around some of you new guys ;)