PDA

View Full Version : shooting in the water

WallySparx
11-01-2005, 11:06 AM
could someone theoretically sail a boat beyond u.s. jurisdictional waters and shoot to one's heart's content without any legal implications?

i'd imagine there could be a great market for gun cruises. shooting clays over the water, long range shoots at targets floated on buoys, etc.

though i'd imagine you'd need plenty of wd-40 handy to keep water away.

rkt88edmo
11-01-2005, 11:46 AM
could someone theoretically sail a boat beyond u.s. jurisdictional waters and shoot to one's heart's content without any legal implications?

i'd imagine there could be a great market for gun cruises. shooting clays over the water, long range shoots at targets floated on buoys, etc.

I think they already have golf driving ranges and clay shooting off of some cruise lines. Seems like the cost would be much higher than holding the shoot on land if it were just for shooters, plus you would have very limited space to use. The decks on ships just aren't that big compared to open space lands.

mblat
11-01-2005, 1:19 PM
Cruise ship actually VERY small place with a LOT of people and a LOT of alchogol and gambling that is VERY far from any meaningfull help as far as health and law problems concern....

Not sure that it would be a good idea to throw guns into the mix...

Besides.... Once you left USA with firearm would it be legal to bring it back?

PanzerAce
11-01-2005, 1:33 PM
All you would have to do is go beyond the US territorial waters (dont know laws within waters). At that point, all you have to worry about the UN, and they wouldnt bother with you. as for the cost of it. If you already have a boat, I really dont see any point NOT to go far enough off shore to shoot anything you wanted to (full auto, etc). As for the cost, just get a cabin cruiser sail boat.

C.G.
11-01-2005, 1:35 PM

No problem with shooting if the captain allows it (and you do need to ask) and you are 12 miles from nearest land.
Targets are more of a problem.

Maritime disposal laws:
Discharge of plastics (synthetic ropes, nets and plastic bags) prohibited anywhere.
Floating dunnage, lining and packing materials prohibited discharge less then 25 miles from nearest land.
Food waste, paper, rags, glass, metal, bottles, crockery and similar refuse discharge prohibited less then 12 miles from nearest land.
Comminuted or ground food waste, paper, rags, glass, etc. prohibited discharge less then 3 miles from nearest land.

PanzerAce
11-01-2005, 6:53 PM
well, one way to get rid of that is:
bottles, glass ones atleast
or, you could actually make up some clay targets and fire them. that way, it will be obvious when you hit
or, take old flower pots, seal them somehow, and toss them over the side.

C.G.
11-01-2005, 6:59 PM
well, one way to get rid of that is:
bottles, glass ones atleast
or, you could actually make up some clay targets and fire them. that way, it will be obvious when you hit
or, take old flower pots, seal them somehow, and toss them over the side.

Again, you have to be at least 12 miles from nearest land.

PanzerAce
11-01-2005, 8:59 PM
Hmmm, what would something like wax paper count as? cause you could fold it so that it didnt sink... on the other hand, it probaly would not be worth it in the end. It would be fun maybe, but far easier to just go to a range.

C.G.
11-01-2005, 9:45 PM
Hmmm, what would something like wax paper count as? cause you could fold it so that it didnt sink... on the other hand, it probaly would not be worth it in the end. It would be fun maybe, but far easier to just go to a range.

Dunnage - 25 miles off-shore.

Turbinator
11-01-2005, 10:01 PM
Anyone ever go fishing on the ocean? When you're heading back and cleaning the fish out, there are literally flocks of seagulls following the boat. I'd love to get a Remington 1100 and some #6.5 shot and have at it.. :)

Turby

Turbinator
11-01-2005, 10:37 PM
You'd have to be outside US waters. Would you believe sea gulls are protected by FEDERAL law?

That's what they told us in hunter safety class. Seems that flocks of sea gulls saved Mormon farmers around Salt Lake from locusts. So in gratitude, Mormon law makers made them a protected species.

WHAT!?!?? Protected by federal law? What the heck were they thinking?!?!? These flying rats are EVERYWHERE! Just go check out Alviso sometime...

Unbelievable. That explains why we have so many of them. So much for my pest control fantasies. :(

Turby

C.G.
11-01-2005, 11:37 PM
I was looking for the regulation and found out that the California Seagull is the official State Bird of Utah:eek:
http://pioneer.utah.gov/utah_on_the_web/utah_symbols/gull.html

They do have one (and probably only) redeeming quality. On occasion they will kill a pidgeon by drowning it and eat it.

lazyman
11-02-2005, 2:14 AM
if you're in international water and it's legal, why not pour a bunch of chum in the water and try shoot'n a great white:eek: . jaw would make a nice wall piece and the meat would sell for big bucks " shahk feen soup" mmmmm.

dadoody
11-02-2005, 7:06 AM
my commander did that. He used to chuck lots of meat in the water then open fire on the fires. They dropped a grenade in once too. This was back in the 60s though

delloro
11-02-2005, 9:18 AM
You'd have to be outside US waters. Would you believe sea gulls are protected by FEDERAL law?

BUT - CA can get you while heading out or coming back in. the fact that you are outside law enforcement jurisdiction while an act is committed does not mean they can't put a hurt on you for that act while you are in state waters, and that's the law. this applies for fish and game stuff for sure, as I researched that issue before.

That's what they told us in hunter safety class. Seems that flocks of sea gulls saved Mormon farmers around Salt Lake from locusts. So in gratitude, Mormon law makers made them a protected species.

if gulls are federally protected, it's likely a migratory bird treaty act thing, and not the utahns. just an FYI, as protected is protected.

artherd
11-03-2005, 11:32 PM
BUT - CA can get you while heading out or coming back in. the fact that you are outside law enforcement jurisdiction while an act is committed does not mean they can't put a hurt on you for that act while you are in state waters.

Uh, dosen't it though?

artherd
11-03-2005, 11:33 PM
Would you believe sea gulls are protected by FEDERAL law?

...Mine?

delloro
11-04-2005, 8:32 AM
Uh, dosen't it though?

No. they can stop you from going through jurisdictional waters on your way to do something not allowed. the fact that you are outside the long arm of the law while you commit a crime does not mean that the law has to sit on its hands while you walk by on your way to and from the crime.

and that is the law.

M1A Rifleman
11-04-2005, 11:39 AM

I understand that in international waters states gun control laws do not apply. I think the range in the USA is like 3-miles out - maybe someone can verify. However, getting back to port could be the issue.

I recall reading about a guy a few years ago that was out side the limit firing machine guns from his boat. There were others nearby which saw this and reported the guy. He was nabbed when he returned to port -BUT, the machine guns were legally owned so no problem.

The lib reporter was outraged and astonished that the USA only had control a small ways off shore, and, the unwashed could own and use, dare I saw, MG's in this area.

C.G.
11-04-2005, 3:24 PM
I understand that in international waters states gun control laws do not apply. I think the range in the USA is like 3-miles out - maybe someone can verify. However, getting back to port could be the issue.

I recall reading about a guy a few years ago that was out side the limit firing machine guns from his boat. There were others nearby which saw this and reported the guy. He was nabbed when he returned to port -BUT, the machine guns were legally owned so no problem.

The lib reporter was outraged and astonished that the USA only had control a small ways off shore, and, the unwashed could own and use, dare I saw, MG's in this area.

It is actually 12 miles, but then the captain is still bound by Federal and some state laws and the captain is the law enforcment on the high seas. You can also be boarded by the US Coast Guard on any high seas if you are an American flagged vessel, and even in foreign nations territorial waters provided that the foreign nation will concur.

capitol
11-04-2005, 3:40 PM
Anyone ever go fishing on the ocean? When you're heading back and cleaning the fish out, there are literally flocks of seagulls following the boat. I'd love to get a Remington 1100 and some #6.5 shot and have at it.. :)

Turby

Now, thats what Im talking about :D :rolleyes: