View Full Version : US-mfgd semiauto SGs w/chrome-lined barrels?

11-01-2005, 9:32 AM
It appears that Remmy and Winchester semiauto defensive and hunting shotguns (as well as their pump guns) do not have chrome-lined bores.

My Benelli Nova does, and I like its ease of cleanup.

I'd appreciate someone correcting me if this is not true and pointing me toward relevant models w/chrome bores -- or aftermarket bbl manufacturers offering chromed bore barrels for Rem or Winch autoloader SGs.

Otherwise I need to get a Benelli or Beretta, but I really do like 11-87s.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

11-01-2005, 9:47 PM
Lead? All I get in my scatteun bores is plastic fouling and powder residue. Unless you're shootign slugs, you should see no lead in there.

Lead actually cleans up more easily than plastic fouling anyways, IMO.

11-02-2005, 12:54 AM
Well one reason for chromed bores - besides ease of cleanup - is just overall longer lifespan, especially when steel shot is used.

Chrome lining of barrels is done during barrel manufacture. It is not something that is done later; it is different than the 'chroming' that various aftermarket guys do. Little guys can't do this; it takes a real barrel mfgr., and even those guys have a high reject rate as the chrome lining is good or bad and is not really fixable.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

11-02-2005, 9:22 PM
A lot of the plain steel barrels in the cheaper shotguns have a bore that is lathe-turned, and an artifact of this process is that it leaves grooves perpendicular to the bore. The grooves tend to catch a lot of residue from the ammunition. You can polish the barrel with a shotgun barrel hone and it really helps a lot with the cleaning.

I suppose you could get a plain steel barrel plated on the inside too...?

11-07-2005, 4:41 AM
I think Remington Spartan Gunworks shotguns have chrome lined barrels.
Unless Rem changed the specs from Baikal.
Shotguns sold in the U.S. manufactured by Baikal had chrome lined bores.
Remington has some kind of contract with Baikal to manufacturer their Spartan line, and Baikal shotguns are getting harder to find.
The I.Z.H./Baikal website has a news artical about the MP153 semi auto going 10,000 rounds in 20 hours.

Not the prettiest guns but they seem to be built like tanks.