PDA

View Full Version : Question about SKS Hi. Cap Magazine

CriticalError
11-01-2005, 8:50 AM
Hi fellas,

I have 1x 30Rounds SKS magazine. I am 100% sure that I bought it at a gun show in Arizona prior to the ban (Jan 1st, 2000). The problem is that I lost the receipt that shows the purchase date; therefore, I have no record showing that I have procession of it prior to the ban. Should I disassemble the magazine and never use it again?

Thanks,

HEUER
11-01-2005, 10:41 AM
You may want to get confirmation on the law in California, but detachable magazine SKS rifles are not legal (unless registered, and I think that was prior to SB 23 I am not sure) in the state of California. I think it is o.k. to have possession of the magazine so long as it is not attached to the rifle.

lazyman
11-01-2005, 11:59 AM
yup, what he said. You can't have the detach mag on sks unless it's registered as an AW. I think if it were registered as an AW and you wan'ted detach mag then you'd have to cut the bayo off. Not sure though as AW AR's can have bayo's

Mssr. Eleganté
11-01-2005, 4:36 PM
You are out of luck if it is a fixed mag or a detatchable mag.

The SKS with a detatchable magazine is listed as an "assault weapon" under the 1989 Roberti-Roos law. It's number 11 on the list.

An SKS with a 30 round fixed magazine is classified as an "assault weapon" under SB 23. "A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds."

And I believe SKS rifles that take AK47 detatchable magazines are banned completely under a different law. (weren't allowed to be registered as A/W's)

As the others have said, there is no problem keeping the magazine if it's not installed in the rifle. But if your SKS is set up to take non-AK detatchable magazines, even 10 rounders, it should have been registered as an "assault weapon" already.

HEUER
11-01-2005, 5:08 PM
You are out of luck if it is a fixed mag or a detatchable mag.

The SKS with a detatchable magazine is listed as an "assault weapon" under the 1989 Roberti-Roos law. It's number 11 on the list.

An SKS with a 30 round fixed magazine is classified as an "assault weapon" under SB 23. "A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds."

And I believe SKS rifles that take AK47 detatchable magazines are banned completely under a different law. (weren't allowed to be registered as A/W's)

As the others have said, there is no problem keeping the magazine if it's not installed in the rifle. But if your SKS is set up to take non-AK detatchable magazines, even 10 rounders, it should have been registered as an "assault weapon" already.

Didn't they confiscate SKS rifles with detach mags in California in the early 90's after registration period?

Pryde
11-01-2005, 5:18 PM
I believe jan 1st 2000 was the day they took all the SKS-D's and M's.

CriticalError
11-01-2005, 5:58 PM
Thanks Fellas,

The 30 Rounds Magazine is not fixed on my SKS. I'll just keep it in the safe until I move to a free State.

lazyman
11-02-2005, 1:43 AM
Thanks Fellas,

The 30 Rounds Magazine is not fixed on my SKS. I'll just keep it in the safe until I move to a free State.

OR! until zombies come:D

lazyman
11-02-2005, 1:44 AM
I personally favor the fixed 10 rnd mag as it's more reliable feeding than those damn duckbill mags. and it's easier to reload under pressure