PDA

View Full Version : going up to idaho with handguns??

geo5120
11-22-2009, 7:12 PM
to visit a friend who has a idaho ccw which allows him to purchase and walk with any handgun from local stores. im taking a few of my guns for an outback excursion and he may want to buy from me one of the handguns. can any transfer to him be handled in the same manner as if it was a shop purchase? thanks, geo

Mssr. Eleganté
11-22-2009, 7:57 PM
to visit a friend who has a idaho ccw which allows him to purchase and walk with any handgun from local stores. im taking a few of my guns for an outback excursion and he may want to buy from me one of the handguns. can any transfer to him be handled in the same manner as if it was a shop purchase? thanks, geo

You would just need to transfer the handgun to him at an Idaho FFL. The FFL is going to charge him for the service, but I hear FFLs in other States tend to charge much less for this kind of thing. Aside from that, the process for your friend would be just like any other purchase he made at a gunshop in Idaho.

SDProtection
11-25-2009, 1:23 PM
You would just need to transfer the handgun to him at an Idaho FFL. The FFL is going to charge him for the service, but I hear FFLs in other States tend to charge much less for this kind of thing. Aside from that, the process for your friend would be just like any other purchase he made at a gunshop in Idaho.

Actually, i believe it is a state by state thing. As far as ATF (Federal) goes. private party transaction does not have to be done through an FFL at all. Only new gun purchases. It is up to the state as to whether you are required to document the transfer. Utah, for example requires nothing, so you simply handle the transaction between the two of you. I would certainly have some sort of letter or receipt showing you transferred ownership to him on a particular date/time...just as a CYA.

lorax3
11-25-2009, 1:26 PM
Utah, for example requires nothing, so you simply handle the transaction between the two of you. I would certainly have some sort of letter or receipt showing you transferred ownership to him on a particular date/time...just as a CYA.

This is not correct. Two unlicensed persons who reside in different states must have the transfer facilitated by an FFL.

It is a state issue when both parties are residents of said state.

kemasa
11-26-2009, 10:49 AM
See:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b1

Specifically B1 & B2. As stated, both people have to be a resident of the same state.

SDProtection
11-26-2009, 1:31 PM
This is not correct. Two unlicensed persons who reside in different states must have the transfer facilitated by an FFL.

It is a state issue when both parties are residents of said state.

yes, my bad. I had it in my head that both were from the same state. Now that I am paying a bit more attention, I will remove foot from mouth....