PDA

View Full Version : BAD HAND

tdg
11-22-2009, 10:25 AM
Question for the ladies
My wife has arthiritis in her shooting hand
She carries a 38 special and a 9mm Hipower
Her hand has gotten so bad that she can't shoot either one without her fingers swelling up
She has tried a 380 semi auto but her hand still hurts
I am thinking of 22mag or something like that
Any suggestions?

NorCalMama
11-22-2009, 11:14 AM
One thing I can think of, and seriously, he'll likely respond, is email Tom Gresham and tell him exactly what you posted here. He'll probably know exactly what your wife could try-
info@guntalk.com

Good luck! I hope you can get some help with this!

Steyrlp10
11-24-2009, 12:07 PM
Sorry to hear about your wife's condition.

Even though one of my friends didn't have swelling of the fingers, she did have problems when she broke her wrist in a fall. She practically gave up shooting the .45, but comes out once in a while to shoot .22 matches.

The only thing with less recoil than a .22 that I can think of is the .177. But then, that's only because I compete in air matches. Maybe that's not to your wife's liking.

Perhaps her doctor could give her some anti-inflammatory meds if she doesn't have them already. It might be enough to get her comfortable again to hang onto the gun.

Best of luck to you!

redcliff
11-24-2009, 12:31 PM
Not many pistols will have less recoil than a Browning Hi-power unless you drop to a .22lr. Have you considerred installing some Pachmary signature non-finger groove grips on it? The rubber cushioning may relieve some of the stress.

A heavier N-frame .357 revolver like a Smith & Wesson model 27 shooting .38 special target wadcutters with something like a Hogue rubber grip might be another option.

ETD1010
11-24-2009, 9:21 PM
My experiences with a Sig p229 in 9mm were that at first I thought I shot a squib load it recoiled so little.

KylaGWolf
11-24-2009, 9:47 PM
As someone that has issues with my hand (actually entire right arm) I will say that a heavier gun seems to have less recoil and easier to shoot. Might want to see if you can get her to use a 1911 model. I didn't think I would be able to shoot one due to the issues I have with my right arm but was surprised that there was much less recoil in the Kimber 1911 .45 then there was in my HK USP Compact 9mm. I would also look to see if there are grips available that will help her with the guns she already has.

luckystrike
12-05-2009, 4:33 PM
maybe a sig .22? people tend to underestamate .22s