PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a Spotting Scope?

Country Boy
11-21-2009, 11:12 AM
Hello Scott,

I'll be in the market soon for a new spotting scope. I purchased an inexpensive spotter in the past and it was worthless. Time to anti-up for a spotter that will be the last I ever need to buy, but still stay in my affordable price range (approximately $700-$800 not including tripod). The spotter will mostly be used at the range during daylight for long range precision shooting, however should still be reasonably light and portable. I want something that will enable me to clearly ID hits with a 308 on paper out to several hundred yards. BTW I wear glasses. Also would appreciate recommendations for a good tripod-stable but that folds up into a compact package.

Thanks!

LibertyOptics
11-27-2009, 9:56 AM
CB,

A spotter is one piece of equipment I do not believe in scrimping on; it's purpose is very specialized....to make out fine details at long range with the best clarity, color, contrast and resolution. You CAN get away with subpar glass in a riflescope and still be an effective shooter, but cheap spotters are utterly useless, IMO.

I think your search begins with Kowa. They offer the absolute best quality spotters at the best value. I use a TSN-603 (60mm Prominar angled) with 20-60x eyepiece. With a 25x long eye relief eyepiece for eyeglass wearers, the total price tag is $799. Prominar is the ED glass model.

Another option is the 82SV, with 25x LER eyepiece the price is $799 also. Not ED glass, but a big and bright 82mm objective lens.

Hits on paper to several hundred yards will be no problem with high contrasr media (white target or shoot-n-c), but for spotting holes in a black bullseye keep your expectations in check.

As for tripods, any quality shooting stand from Vortex, Lupy, or private labels will work for range/table top use. Look at no more than $50 to get what you need.

Let me know if I can answer anything else.

Scott

SDJim
11-27-2009, 12:19 PM
Hello Scott,

I'll be in the market soon for a new spotting scope. I purchased an inexpensive spotter in the past and it was worthless. Time to anti-up for a spotter that will be the last I ever need to buy, but still stay in my affordable price range (approximately $700-$800 not including tripod). The spotter will mostly be used at the range during daylight for long range precision shooting, however should still be reasonably light and portable. I want something that will enable me to clearly ID hits with a 308 on paper out to several hundred yards. BTW I wear glasses. Also would appreciate recommendations for a good tripod-stable but that folds up into a compact package.

Thanks!
You also might take a look at the Konus series. I had a Konuspot-100 (I wouldn't recommend as it's to bulky) I used for 3 years. At local matches I could easily resolve .223 & .308 holes @ 200 yds. At 300 yds unless the lighting was perfect you barely see the 223's and the .308's only slightly better. Anything beyond that (to 1000k yds) I was depending on seeing the spotter
I'm starting to see a lot more of the Konuspot-80's on the line at across the course and belly matches.

Country Boy
11-27-2009, 2:18 PM
Thanks Scott and everyone else who posted replies.

LibertyOptics
11-27-2009, 8:20 PM
You also might take a look at the Konus series. I had a Konuspot-100 (I wouldn't recommend as it's to bulky) I used for 3 years. At local matches I could easily resolve .223 & .308 holes @ 200 yds. At 300 yds unless the lighting was perfect you barely see the 223's and the .308's only slightly better. Anything beyond that (to 1000k yds) I was depending on seeing the spotter
I'm starting to see a lot more of the Konuspot-80's on the line at across the course and belly matches.

You are proving my point. Not being able to easily see .308 bullet holes at 300 yards with a 100mm objective is a complete waste of money.

Konus spotters are Chinese-made crap that will not get the job done!

Country Boy
11-29-2009, 5:29 PM

Sounds like a recommendation on what not to take a look at (ie, Konus)