PDA

View Full Version : WARNING (AGAIN): CA-LEGAL RIFLES SHOULD NOT HAVE "AK47" MODEL MARKINGS...

bwiese
11-20-2009, 11:57 PM
As has been stated here with some frequency, you should not have any "AK47" markings on any non-reg'd-AW rifle in California.

THIS IS REGARDLESS OF MANUFACTURER, AND IS AN EXCEPTION TO BANNED-BY-MAKE/MODEL PAIRING. A RIFLE MARKED WITH "AK-47", "AK47", etc. MAY WELL BE REGARDED AS BEING "LISTED" or "BANNED BY NAME".

This matter is the result of part of the 2001 Harrott decision: (Footnote 2) Interestingly, in his petition for writ of mandate, Mr. Harrott identified the rifle
as an “AK-47 2822,” and the “AK47” is one of the models of assault weapons specifically listed
in section 12276, subdivision (a)(1)(A). However, the hearing below proceeded on the assumption
that the rifle was not one of the models specifically listed in section 12276, subdivision (a). In
a final twist, the Attorney General, in an amicus curiae brief filed in this court, asserts for the
first time that the rifle is an assault weapon specifically listed in section 12276, subdivision
(a)(1)(A), namely, a “[m]ade in China... AK47....”

(Page 23...) Our conclusion that the trial court exceeded its authority in declaring Mr. Harrott’s
rifle an AK series weapon under section 12276, subdivisions (a)(1)(A) and (e) does not end the
matter. As stated in footnote 2, ante, the Attorney General now asserts the rifle is an AK47, one
of the assault weapons specifically listed in section 12276, subdivision (a)(1)(A), and in his
petition for writ of mandate, Mr. Harrott did describe the rifle as an “AK-47 2822.” Therefore,
the case should be remanded to the trial court for a resolution of this question.

If you have acquired or constructed a rifle with a receiver marked with any "AK-47" text on it, you should take immediate measures to strip gun down to bare receiver. The safest outcome to resolve this situation fully is to (again, IMMEDIATELY) contact an attorney and arrange surrender of it to LEO agency. A suitable unlisted replacement receiver can be fitted after the drama is over.

Beatone
11-21-2009, 12:19 AM
Very important to know. Thanks Bill.

edwardm
11-21-2009, 5:18 AM
Quite possibly the funniest thing I've read in a while.

savageevo
11-21-2009, 5:52 AM
It may be funny to you but take his word as solid as it can be. I would listen to bwies if you have any rifle marked as discribed. No jokeing matter here.

Window_Seat
11-21-2009, 6:15 AM
It is imperative that one (all of us) listen to, and take Mr. Wiese's readings with seriousness because he has the credibility for that matter, which is not laughable in any way shape or form.

Erik.

Ford8N
11-21-2009, 6:23 AM
Something must have happened for him to post a warning.

SteveH
11-21-2009, 6:38 AM
Ship it to a free state.

Sgt Raven
11-21-2009, 7:42 AM
Something must have happened for him to post a warning.

As a Founding member of CGF, maybe a little birdie spoke into his ear. :eek: :rolleyes:

69Mach1
11-21-2009, 7:57 AM
This should be a sticky.

Ding126
11-21-2009, 8:41 AM
How was is aquired and dros'd through FFL and DOJ check? Inquiring mind wants to know

69Mach1
11-21-2009, 8:52 AM
This comes to mind also.
http://www.ioinc.us/graphics2/akpolymertxt.jpg
http://www.redstradingpost.com/auction_images/Auction_Arms/?img=./IO_Inc_IOK-47-C_762x39mm_AK470005_STOCK_PHOTOS/48.jpg&w=600&h=

yellowfin
11-21-2009, 10:40 AM
Darn, there goes all those State of Alaska 47th anniversary collectibles...

CSACANNONEER
11-21-2009, 10:45 AM
Ship it to a free state.

DO NOT DO THIS! IT WOULD BE ILLEGAL! Please don't promote illegal activities here.

SkatinJJ
11-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Ship it to a free state.

DO NOT DO THIS! IT WOULD BE ILLEGAL! Please don't promote illegal activities here.

Ditto this!!! /\/\/\/\

Semper FI, CSACANNONEER!!!

JJ

SteveH
11-21-2009, 11:17 AM

I never would.

But it is not illegal to remove a semiautomatic firearm from the state. I've seen no evidence the rifles referred to in this thread are actually illegal. It appears to be a grey area to me and Bill is recommending turning in lawfully aquired guns just to be on the safe side. I base this on the use of the word "may" in the OPs post. If it was a done deal it would say shall or will.

SkatinJJ
11-21-2009, 11:36 AM
the idea of stripping the gun down to the receiver, and turning the receiver in to the LEA is based on he idea that the receiver itself IS the gun. All the other stuff is NOT the gun according to law.

A receiver with AK 47 on it IS what Bill is warning about. That's a $40 dollar flat, bent and riveted into a no marks, AK pattern receiver.

That unmarked receiver can then be assembled in a properly configured AK pattern rifle that is compliant with PC12276.1, or with SB23.

Semper FI!!!

JJ

tuolumnejim
11-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Maybe I'll mark my homebuilds AK470, with a little o. :D And yes I do love to tweek the noses of antis.

SkatinJJ
11-21-2009, 11:43 AM
you're sillier than my kid...:p

SkatinJJ
11-21-2009, 11:49 AM
Maybe I'll mark my homebuilds AK470, with a little o. :D And yes I do love to tweek the noses of antis.

Oh yeah, on a serious note, I had to look it up, California Penal Code:
12090. Any person who changes, alters, removes or obliterates the
name of the maker, model, manufacturer's number, or other mark of
identification, including any distinguishing number or mark assigned
by the Department of Justice on any pistol, revolver, or any other
firearm, without first having secured written permission from the
department to make such change, alteration or removal shall be
punished by imprisonment in the state prison.

They're no fun anymore... :(

tuolumnejim
11-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Oh yeah, on a serious note, I had to look it up, California Penal Code:

They're no fun anymore... :(

On a homebuilt there are no markings to obliterate, just the ones you add yourself.

CSACANNONEER
11-21-2009, 12:06 PM

How about "AK48", "CA47", "FUDiFi47", "Boxer47", etc.?

burl broderick
11-21-2009, 12:09 PM
It is imperative that one (all of us) listen to, and take Mr. Wiese's readings with seriousness because he has the credibility for that matter, which is not laughable in any way shape or form.

Thank you. That made me laugh.

Bill - Wouldn't it also be acceptable to just cut the receiver in half on a bandsaw
and toss it into the trash ?
Is it really necessary to go to a lawyer and the police ?

bwiese
11-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Bill - Wouldn't it also be acceptable to just cut the receiver in
half on a bandsaw and toss it into the trash ?

That destruction stops the ongoing crimebut does not erase prior crime.

Admittedly it does significantly raise the threshold of prosecution, but it does not eliminate it - people can be stupid and talk, there can be witnessess and/or other records around - including 4473 and DROS forms hanging about, etc.

To be transactionally clean, one should arrange surrender of receiver (destroyed or not) thru attorney to LE.

CSACANNONEER
11-21-2009, 12:15 PM

Bill - Wouldn't it also be acceptable to just cut the receiver in half on a bandsaw

To follow the law, you would need to turn it in to local LEA. To protect yourself, you should have legal representation help you do this. What you are proposing would be committing more crimes such as destroying evidence, etc.

SJgunguy24
11-21-2009, 12:18 PM

Not gonna speak for Bill here but, a crime is been committed, there is nothing that can be done to make it "go away". If nobody knows then consider yourself lucky. Bill kinda knows his sh*t in matters like this, so heed his advice. ATF regs are a torch cut in 2 places that will displace more than 1/4" of material. Bandsaw won't work, that can be rewelded, where as a torch cut with material blown out cannot be rewelded into a working firearm.

bwiese
11-21-2009, 12:22 PM
Not gonna speak for Bill here but, a crime is been committed, there is nothing that can be done to make it "go away". If nobody knows then consider yourself lucky. Bill kinda knows his sh*t in matters like this, so heed his advice. ATF regs are a torch cut in 2 places that will displace more than 1/4" of material. Bandsaw won't work, that can be rewelded, where as a torch cut with material blown out cannot be rewelded into a working firearm.

It does not necessarily need to be cut to ATF standards. And possession of stripped receiver is defendable. But going thru a lawyer and doing a "transactional surrender" is the way to clean the books.

SJgunguy24
11-21-2009, 12:27 PM
It does not necessarily need to be cut to ATF standards. And possession of stripped receiver is defendable. But going thru a lawyer and doing a "transactional surrender" is the way to clean the books.

I know Bill I just wanted to clear up the bandsaw cut question.
I've heard that asked plenty of times and the law is clear but nobosy seems to look it up.

burl broderick
11-21-2009, 12:34 PM

Thanks for clarifying. It's worth being very specific.

bigcalidave
11-21-2009, 12:57 PM
SO are all the californicated AK rifles being imported illegal? Would pretty much every one of them have these markings and need a new receiver bent? I don't have any AKs, so I don't know what markings come on most of those rifles.

bwiese
11-21-2009, 1:01 PM
SO are all the californicated AK rifles being imported illegal? Would pretty much every one of them have these markings and need a new receiver bent? I don't have any AKs, so I don't know what markings come on most of those rifles.

No. In fact very very very few. This is a rare exception but needs attention.
It may also be product of various older rifles being resold on Gunbroker.

OlderThanDirt
11-21-2009, 1:10 PM
As has been stated here with some frequency, you should not have any "AK47" markings on any non-reg'd-AW rifle in California.

THIS IS REGARDLESS OF MANUFACTURER, AND IS AN EXCEPTION TO BANNED-BY-MAKE/MODEL PAIRING. A RIFLE MARKED WITH "AK-47", "AK47", etc. MAY WELL BE REGARDED AS BEING "LISTED" or "BANNED BY NAME".

This matter is the result of part of the 2001 Harrott decision: (Footnote 2) Interestingly, in his petition for writ of mandate, Mr. Harrott identified the rifle
as an “AK-47 2822,” and the “AK47” is one of the models of assault weapons specifically listed
in section 12276, subdivision (a)(1)(A). However, the hearing below proceeded on the assumption
that the rifle was not one of the models specifically listed in section 12276, subdivision (a). In
a final twist, the Attorney General, in an amicus curiae brief filed in this court, asserts for the
first time that the rifle is an assault weapon specifically listed in section 12276, subdivision
(a)(1)(A), namely, a “[m]ade in China... AK47....”

(Page 23...) Our conclusion that the trial court exceeded its authority in declaring Mr. Harrott’s
rifle an AK series weapon under section 12276, subdivisions (a)(1)(A) and (e) does not end the
matter. As stated in footnote 2, ante, the Attorney General now asserts the rifle is an AK47, one
of the assault weapons specifically listed in section 12276, subdivision (a)(1)(A), and in his
petition for writ of mandate, Mr. Harrott did describe the rifle as an “AK-47 2822.” Therefore,
the case should be remanded to the trial court for a resolution of this question.

If you have acquired or constructed a rifle with a receiver marked with any "AK-47" text on it, you should take immediate measures to strip gun down to bare receiver. The safest outcome to resolve this situation fully is to (again, IMMEDIATELY) contact an attorney and arrange surrender of it to LEO agency. A suitable unlisted replacement receiver can be fitted after the drama is over.

Following the same logic, wouldn't the same problem potentially apply to a receiver that is marked with "AR-15"?

The only significant difference I see between AK-47 and AR-15 series is this statement in 12276:

(a)(1) All AK series including, but not limited to, the models identified as follows:

The language is not as explicit for AR-15 series rifles, where 12276 (e) states:

The term "series" includes all other models that are only variations, with minor differences, of those models listed in subdivision (a), regardless of the manufacturer.

While Harrott specifically dealt with the AK-47 series, it would seem DOJ could make a similar case for AR-15 series.

bigcalidave
11-21-2009, 1:11 PM
Ok, I didn't know where the actual print "ak47" showed up on modern rifles. Is it stamped on any of the trunions used today? Once riveted to a receiver flat it would be part of the receiver as well...

bwiese
11-21-2009, 1:21 PM
Following the same logic, wouldn't the same problem potentially apply to a receiver that is marked with "AR-15"?

Nope.

Firstly, I really don't know of any other mfgr than Colt that has an "AR15" marked on the receiver. And anything about "series" and "copies and duplicates" is voided by Harrott unless specifically listed.

Secondly, the Roberti-Roos list in 12276PC says "Colt AR15", while there is no manufacturer restriction on "AK series" including "AK47".

Ding126
11-21-2009, 1:31 PM
Could the rifle or receiver be turned into the PoPo on the next round of PD buy backs? No questions asked and get some $$$

What would be the down side?

bwiese
11-21-2009, 1:34 PM
Could the rifle or receiver be turned into the PoPo on the next round of PD buy backs? No questions asked and get some $$$

What would be the down side?

1) Risk of being popped on transport on the way there
2) Not necessarily being "clean".

Those buybacks may be useful for street gang members they're too lazy to prosecute, but a real Member Of the Gun Culture may not have those protections.

Cokebottle
11-21-2009, 1:39 PM
How about "AK48", "CA47", "FUDiFi47", "Boxer47", etc.?
My idea for homebuilds was to tag the receivers "RK47" for rifle flats and "PK47" for pistol flats...

But maybe it would be better as "pRK47" and "PrK47" ;)

Solidsnake87
11-21-2009, 3:28 PM
What if the rifle is marked AK-74????????

bodger
11-21-2009, 3:34 PM

Two passes through the bandsaw maybe?

bodger
11-21-2009, 3:39 PM
1) Risk of being popped on transport on the way there
2) Not necessarily being "clean".

Those buybacks may be useful for street gang members they're too lazy to prosecute, but a real Member Of the Gun Culture may not have those protections.

That would make for some embarrassing news coverage (if actually covered accurately) for the LE agency sponsoring the buy-back though.

No questions asked, unless you're an upstanding citizen who happens to be a gun enthusiast. They might think twice about putting a case on someone, that could put a dent in the amount of people who show up for the next scheduled buy-back event.

Especially when you consider that these buy-backs are horsecrap anyway and the main reason they are done is just PR grandstanding.

SJgunguy24
11-21-2009, 4:44 PM
Two passes through the bandsaw maybe?

Nope, the ATF is very specific on the torch cut method. 2 cuts with a band saw can still be welded into a working firearm. In the regs it states 1/4" of material to be displaced. I'll see if I can find it.

nrandell
11-21-2009, 5:36 PM
The ATF standards are for demilling MGs, they don't care about CA's silly little "assault weapons" ban.

ilbob
11-21-2009, 6:33 PM
Isn't that all but admitting you committed a crime in the first place by having the thing?

Go Packers!
11-21-2009, 6:34 PM
No. In fact very very very few. This is a rare exception but needs attention.
It may also be product of various older rifles being resold on Gunbroker.

Is one of those very few the Russian American Armory Saiga? I am considering purchasing one on-line, and I cannot make out any of the markings from the photos.

Also, as solidsnake inquired, I am also curious if this applies to AK74?

69Mach1
11-21-2009, 6:51 PM
Is one of those very few the Russian American Armory Saiga? I am considering purchasing one on-line, and I cannot make out any of the markings from the photos.

Also, as solidsnake inquired, I am also curious if this applies to AK74?

NO. Remember the "AK 47" name is also banned from importation if it's on a centerfire rifle. That's why after 1989 some creative names appeared for those imports. Such as:
SAR1, CUR 2, SA M7, BWK 92, Saiga, Vepr, etc. Never seen again were the prebans marking's.....AK, AKS, AK 47.

Cokebottle
11-21-2009, 7:25 PM
Isn't that all but admitting you committed a crime in the first place by having the thing?
That's why it needs to be handled through an attorney.
You don't just walk into the local cop shop with a receiver and turn it in.
Yes, there will still be legal consequences, but handling a voluntary surrender through an attorney introduces confidentiality, which allows you to speak freely with the attorney regarding how you happened to come into possession of the weapon without having to worry about a detective "twisting" the "wrong" answer out of you.

Perhaps you honestly:
Found it in the attic of a home you purchased after the ban
It was in your father's footlocker that you didn't open until recently
A gang banger tossed it over your fence
Grandpa/father had it and honestly didn't know about the ban/registration requirements... some people don't watch TV or listen/read the news. If you aren't talking about your guns, no reason for a friend or co-worker to mention the ban.

There are probably hundreds of ways that one could innocently come into possession of an illegal item. If you do honestly fit one of these profiles and have an otherwise clean record (remember, your lawyer will lie not for you), that will help with a reduction of sentence/charges, or perhaps even dismissal.

SJgunguy24
11-21-2009, 8:03 PM
That's why it needs to be handled through an attorney.
You don't just walk into the local cop shop with a receiver and turn it in.
Yes, there will still be legal consequences, but handling a voluntary surrender through an attorney introduces confidentiality, which allows you to speak freely with the attorney regarding how you happened to come into possession of the weapon without having to worry about a detective "twisting" the "wrong" answer out of you.

Perhaps you honestly:
Found it in the attic of a home you purchased after the ban
It was in your father's footlocker that you didn't open until recently
A gang banger tossed it over your fence
Grandpa/father had it and honestly didn't know about the ban/registration requirements... some people don't watch TV or listen/read the news. If you aren't talking about your guns, no reason for a friend or co-worker to mention the ban.

There are probably hundreds of ways that one could innocently come into possession of an illegal item. If you do honestly fit one of these profiles and have an otherwise clean record (remember, your lawyer will lie not for you), that will help with a reduction of sentence/charges, or perhaps even dismissal.

I seem to remember a case in Washington where a guy went to his grandfathers property and they found a couple crates of select fire AK's. They did the lawyer route and no charges were filed. The guys grandpa was dead and they were getting the place ready for sale and all of a sudden......ah sh*t.

Cokebottle
11-21-2009, 8:08 PM
I seem to remember a case in Washington where a guy went to his grandfathers property and they found a couple crates of select fire AK's. They did the lawyer route and no charges were filed. The guys grandpa was dead and they were getting the place ready for sale and all of a sudden......ah sh*t.
Exactly. DAs and prosecutors love convictions, and then could easily press charges and legally argue to the jury that the law was violated....
but they also know that there are some cases that just shouldn't be taken to a jury. In this case, it would risk acquittal which might be used as case law to allow possession through inheritance, and if it resulted in a conviction, it would be a pretty much 100% guarantee that there will never be any voluntary surrenders and drive the owners underground.

Plisk
11-21-2009, 8:43 PM
This just makes me love my SGL-20 even more. It's marked Saiga. :D

SJgunguy24
11-21-2009, 8:50 PM
This just makes me love my SGL-20 even more. It's marked Saiga. :D

I don't have a SGL-20 but I love my Saigas

All of the evilness with out the guilt.

Meplat
11-21-2009, 9:04 PM
My idea for homebuilds was to tag the receivers "RK47" for rifle flats and "PK47" for pistol flats...

But maybe it would be better as "pRK47" and "PrK47" ;)

I move that we all agree to serial our builds with Chinese characters and/or wingding symbols, and make them at least 10 digits long. Given that each character is an entire word, you could say about anything you wanted about DiFi or Boxer. D*** ***** dirty donkey dick. would only be 8 symbols.:43:

Cokebottle
11-21-2009, 9:14 PM
I move that we all agree to serial our builds with Chinese characters and/or wingding symbols, and make them at least 10 digits long. Given that each character is an entire word, you could say about anything you wanted about DiFi or Boxer. D*** ***** dirty donkey dick. would only be 8 symbols.:43:
Someone recently posted a shot of their pistol build where the "manufacturer" was something like "FKCADOJ"

SJgunguy24
11-21-2009, 9:27 PM
Someone recently posted a shot of their pistol build where the "manufacturer" was something like "FKCADOJ"

Nicoroshi had FUCADOJ on one of his home builds
I tried "The streets will run red with the blood of puppy's and kittens" But when I welded the rails in the letters were wasted

bwiese
11-21-2009, 9:29 PM
1. Russian-American Armory Saigas are specifically not banned. Saiga is a Kasler entity, not a Roberti-Roos item.

2. There are provisions in the law that allow for AW surrender. Having an attorney negotiate this can clear things transactionally and isolate the client. The LEO/DA would be silly to let an 'illegal gun' not be surrendered, esp with stated goal of compliance. The DA would never bring charges after such a case [barring some kinda fraudulent shenanigans by the possessor, etc.] - if he backs out of a deal like that no defense lawyer in that county would plea bargain again, and the system would grind to a halt. Most of the justice system is lubricated by plea bargains - if everyone went to trial the whole thing would blow up.

Cokebottle
11-21-2009, 9:34 PM
Putting on the rose-colored glasses, assuming the next 6-10 months go 100% favorably, would you expect to see an end to this madness soon, and if so, what time frame?

Shall-issue
Roster repeal
AW repeal
Hi-cap repeal

How optimistic are you that CA may again be a free state?

SJgunguy24
11-21-2009, 9:44 PM
Putting on the rose-colored glasses, assuming the next 6-10 months go 100% favorably, would you expect to see an end to this madness soon, and if so, what time frame?

Shall-issue
Roster repeal
AW repeal
Hi-cap repeal

How optimistic are you that CA may again be a free state?

It is a free state if your on welfare, are illegal, smoke pot all day, and hate big screen TV's.

Cokebottle
11-21-2009, 9:48 PM
It is a free state if your on welfare, are illegal, smoke pot all day, and hate big screen TV's.
Well... I'm not optimistic about the repeal of our motorcycle helmet law either.... but WRT guns?

SJgunguy24
11-21-2009, 10:21 PM
Well... I'm not optimistic about the repeal of our motorcycle helmet law either.... but WRT guns?

Don't forget the smog requirments of motorcycles their looking into.

Cokebottle
11-21-2009, 10:26 PM
Don't forget the smog requirments of motorcycles their looking into.
Ya...
Only thing I can't reverse in two evenings is the air cleaner and ape hangers.
Pipes will be a PITA, but doable... but it'll look funny rolling in for the test with a fairing, trunk, and no hard bags.

bodger
11-22-2009, 7:53 AM
Nope, the ATF is very specific on the torch cut method. 2 cuts with a band saw can still be welded into a working firearm. In the regs it states 1/4" of material to be displaced. I'll see if I can find it.

I think I see, they want that 1/4" of material to be melted and fall away, as opposed to what two passes with a band saw would render. Which is essentially two halves with a center piece that could be welded back in place.

SJgunguy24
11-22-2009, 10:36 AM
I think I see, they want that 1/4" of material to be melted and fall away, as opposed to what two passes with a band saw would render. Which is essentially two halves with a center piece that could be welded back in place.

Exactly. With that material blown out you lose that length on the reciever and that makes the fit up even harder. If you weld you know the fit up is a big part of getting a good joint. Also if your missing 1/2" off the reciever will that gun even work?

Solidsnake87
11-22-2009, 4:14 PM
bwiese, what about AK-74 marked guns?????

WeThePeople
11-23-2009, 12:58 PM
This comes to mind also.
http://www.ioinc.us/graphics2/akpolymertxt.jpg
http://www.redstradingpost.com/auction_images/Auction_Arms/?img=./IO_Inc_IOK-47-C_762x39mm_AK470005_STOCK_PHOTOS/48.jpg&w=600&h=

What's the ruling on this? Does the "C" make it okay or not?

bwiese
11-23-2009, 1:46 PM
What's the ruling on this? Does the "C" make it okay or not?

Too close for comfort for me. Probably defendable at some kevek, but not clearcut recommended conduct
All it takes is a bad judge to try to underread Harrott, and it does indeed have "AK-47" as a subset.

We don't need to fight "son of Harrott" cases when things like this are avoidable and receivers are cheap.

WeThePeople
11-23-2009, 1:55 PM
Too close for comfort for me. Probably defendable at some kevek, but not clearcut recommended conduct
All it takes is a bad judge to try to underread Harrott, and it does indeed have "AK-47" as a subset.

We don't need to fight "son of Harrott" cases when things like this are avoidable and receivers are cheap.

Thanks, Bill.

Super Spy
11-23-2009, 2:08 PM
Darn, there goes all those State of Alaska 47th anniversary collectibles...

No kidding.....unless you move to AK....

How about this?

AK XLVII

(I'm just having fun here, I wouldn't do this while still living in this state, but it would be cool.)

WokMaster1
11-23-2009, 5:18 PM
It is a free state if your on welfare, are illegal, smoke pot all day, and hate big screen TV's, except your own

Fixed:D