View Full Version : Two offers to send Sten kits...

11-20-2009, 6:14 PM
I've sold quite a few parts kits. But never traded for one. I recently offered a few kits for trade (ak's). For any number of things I listed that I wanted. Which included demiled sten kits to rebuild into in legal semi auto's.

In the span of a week I have had two different guys offer to send their kits to me to consider for trade. Instead of taking photographs.

Without payment and I don't know these guys personally. Both claim they either don't want to be hassled with pics or aren't technically proficient enough. I've EMPHATICALLY requested that NO mags be sent. I can get ten rounders from Wiselight. And that seems to be the only legal issue in my research.

Am I being paranoid by being concerned about this? Or are these just nice old guys that are new to computers?

I haven't read anything other than stens are legal to build in CA. It just sort of made me paranoid that they wanted to send their kits to me without paying. Or knowing who I am. I do post on other forums alot. And have a good seller rating in the feedback forums.

They aren't worth a whole lot maybe $150 to $170. And there seems to be plenty for sale (and not selling) on gunbroker and elsewhere.

Maybe in this day and age it's just completely strange to run across other people that are as honest as you. Or I am being to trusting.

Should I trust this? Ever had anyone send you something to take a look at it? Instead of just taking pics?

11-20-2009, 6:20 PM
wow, never heard of people shipping kits like that for inspection. to me it sounds weird but nothing illegal about it, just money for shipping back and forth.

11-20-2009, 6:22 PM
It sounds too weird to be true.

I am sure there are a few crusty old farts who don't know how to use a digital camera. But those are probably the same guys who'd say "screw it" and leave the mag in or send an open bolt kit to a guy that might have a matching piece of receiver pipe.

Or, they're working off some felonies for the ATF.

11-20-2009, 6:34 PM
Well I don't have any receiver pipes. Never built a Sten. So I don't have any build components. Good point, Bill. I'm more worried about mags.

I'm just trying to figure out if there is anything illegal here. But I just can't find anything. At first I figured "well that would be better than a pic." And I offered to send the kit back on my dime if we couldn't work out a trade. Thought that was fair. Neither seem to be real builders. They just sound like two guys that bought something thinking they could slap it together on a saturday night. And found out it just isn't possible.

11-20-2009, 7:36 PM
Is it possible they are trying to send you FA parts with it? Besides mags wouldn't that also cause you grief?

11-20-2009, 8:03 PM
Legal or not, BATFE or not, I'd stay away from this. It reeks too much of the guys who run the false shipping scams on used car ads. Next thing you know, they'll be sending you a check for $10,000 from which you only need deduct shipping costs and deliver the kit to their shipper - you keep the rest (of their bogus check) for your time, trouble, help, whatever. I'd give those guys a big wet birdie and steer clear.

11-20-2009, 8:46 PM
Is it possible they are trying to send you FA parts with it? Besides mags wouldn't that also cause you grief?

I really don't know. There is a thread here on calguns (by one of the lawyer types) that gives the opinion that there "could be" a "narrow" interpretation of the law in CA that two of the FA parts from an AK could constitute intent. But if I remember correctly also states that no one has ever been charged with this.

Lots of guys on this forum have built them. And I know of no retailer that balks at shipping them to CA.

But still. I figure if they want to trade they'll get someone to take pics right?

11-20-2009, 9:09 PM
Yeah, buy the sten parts kit from copes distributing and call it a day. I have bought some kits from Copes and they are good kits.