PDA

View Full Version : Bump firing videos on Youtube

BT JUSTICE
11-20-2009, 5:58 PM
I've been thinking about some videos I saw on Youtube showing various semi autos being bump fired. As interesting as this is (and I intend to try it at my next range outing), I began to wonder about the political reprocussions this sort of thing has.

We already have a hard enough time trying to get the ignorant media types to understand the difference between semi and full auto (ARs and AKs are all machine guns, right?), and I can imagine that someone who disagrees with private ownership of so called "assault weapons" would see these videos and be fueled in their foolishness.

I even showed some of these to my fellow law enforcement "professionals" and they were aghast that this "technique" wasn't illegal.

What do you folks think this could mean to our fight against more gun bans? I can see this as being a step towards a ban on semi autos, since they are clearly meant to be "spray fired from the hip".

cmth
11-20-2009, 6:20 PM
Go try a bump fire, you'll see why nobody actually uses it except for goofing off.

As far as legalities go, you are still pulling the trigger once for each shot, but in the fastest way possible. Nothing illegal about that.

locosway
11-20-2009, 6:41 PM
Arrested for shooting the rifle 'gangsta' style...

Maybe they can arrest people for shooting their fo-tay's sideways too.. :D

The Director
11-20-2009, 6:52 PM
I even showed some of these to my fellow law enforcement "professionals" and they were aghast that this "technique" wasn't illegal.

These must be real "professionals" if they have never heard of bump firing, and also if they question the legality of it.

Hell, there's even guys that can bump fire from the shoulder and be reasonably accurate with it.

bohoki
11-20-2009, 6:53 PM
my fav has to be the headbanger

uGaZ0uYl-Ls

there seems to be some consistancies with bumpfire videos

A the person always looks retarded
b they often like putting some classic rock music as a soundtrack which is always annoying
c they try to teach you but often give bad and contrary instructions
d they often start out failing then it kind of looks like it is working but they upload and submit it anyway

Zachs300zx
11-20-2009, 7:17 PM

Please don't give them any ideas, we don't need more ridiculous legislation. California laws remind me of the Apple iPhone app commercials...

Know of something that offends someone or looks kinda scary? Well, there's a law for that!

M. Sage
11-20-2009, 7:38 PM
These must be real "professionals" if they have never heard of bump firing, and also if they question the legality of it.

Hell, there's even guys that can bump fire from the shoulder and be reasonably accurate with it.

I've bump-fired from the shoulder by accident! Tell those "pros" to lighten up.

Josh3239
11-20-2009, 7:50 PM
there seems to be some consistancies with bumpfire videos

A the person always looks retarded
b they often like putting some classic rock music as a soundtrack which is always annoying
c they try to teach you but often give bad and contrary instructions
d they often start out failing then it kind of looks like it is working but they upload and submit it anyway

This guy is pretty darn good:

GIC8SMttjjo

bohoki
11-20-2009, 8:06 PM

GIC8SMttjjo

there is an exception to every rule

bigcalidave
11-20-2009, 9:31 PM
Holy ****, that guy is amazing!
I need a 9mm ar!

cmth
11-20-2009, 9:49 PM
Yep, I'm gonna have to build an AR pistol after all.

hawk81
11-20-2009, 10:05 PM
You will never change these anti gun peoples mind, so who gives a **** what they think about bump firing. That is the problem with gun owners, they are so worried about not hurting anti gun peoples feelings.

I've been thinking about some videos I saw on Youtube showing various semi autos being bump fired. As interesting as this is (and I intend to try it at my next range outing), I began to wonder about the political reprocussions this sort of thing has.

We already have a hard enough time trying to get the ignorant media types to understand the difference between semi and full auto (ARs and AKs are all machine guns, right?), and I can imagine that someone who disagrees with private ownership of so called "assault weapons" would see these videos and be fueled in their foolishness.

What do you folks think this could mean to our fight against more gun bans? I can see this as being a step towards a ban on semi autos, since they are clearly meant to be "spray fired from the hip".

Kid Stanislaus
11-20-2009, 10:16 PM
I agree with the OP, as soon as the gun grabbers get a hold of one of these videos they'll parade it all over the airwaves and start holler'n to ban semi-autos. It ain't right, it ain't even sane, but since when did that bunch of bastards start worry'n about "right" or "sane" if they thought it'd help them get a gun banned. Hawk81, this has nothing to do with feelings, it has everything to do with propaganda and the gun grabbers are keen on that. If we lose the propaganda war, we lose the war.

Matt C
11-20-2009, 10:28 PM
Yeah it can get you arrested. Especially if your non-gun knowledgeable buddy posts the video and labels it something misleading like "full auto".

wash
11-20-2009, 10:50 PM
Damn, 9mm is cheaper than 5.56 but then I've got a lot of South African 7.62x51 that I bought cheap. I should just learn to bump fire my FAL.

Josh3239
11-21-2009, 1:10 AM
Bumpfire or not the anti's are still anti's, they don't need justification or reason. You cannot fix stupid.

I am building a 9mm AR pistol, I wanna be as good as that guy to! :D

nicki
11-21-2009, 4:45 AM
Since bump fire is something that can be done by a "abled person", the restrictions on full auto or selective really don' matter to "abled bodied persons".

However someone who is handicapped can't bump fire, hence, they can't bump fire.

So, could we have a disabled person file a lawsuit that all state laws that prohibit select fire switches are in violation of the federal Americans with Disabilities Act?

I mean, if we are going to have fun, let's really do it.

The so called public saftey argument is total BS, we have records since 1934 to prove it.

Could be our way to get guns with the happy switch:D

The only problem is getting a steady supply of ammo:(

Nicki

12gaugederringer
11-21-2009, 9:24 AM
Pump actions are pretty scary too look at this guy maybe we should ban them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbd8biIvNL0&feature=youtube_gdata

While we're at it I think we should ban any vehicle with a large enough hood for a grown man to stand on. I mean look at what they're doing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yuLtnA_dBk&feature=youtube_gdata

The Director
11-21-2009, 9:41 AM

GIC8SMttjjo

That guy RULES!!!!

Table Rock Arms
11-21-2009, 9:53 AM

GIC8SMttjjo

That is one long pistol buffer tube.

M. Sage
11-21-2009, 11:56 AM
You will never change these anti gun peoples mind, so who gives a **** what they think about bump firing. That is the problem with gun owners, they are so worried about not hurting anti gun peoples feelings.

I agree 100%. If anything, we should do it more.

Look, the antis are evil and prey on people in the middle who are ignorant. We can't make the antis happy, so don't even try. All we can do is focus on educating the ignorant - IMO most of them will side with us because the vast majority of people aren't evil. But don't even bother trying to appease the antis. Appeasement didn't work for Neville Chamberlain, it won't work for us.

You can't bargain with evil. You can't meet it half way. You can only fight it and destroy it.

Seesm
11-21-2009, 12:08 PM
I agree 100%. If anything, we should do it more.

Look, the antis are evil and prey on people in the middle who are ignorant. We can't make the antis happy, so don't even try. All we can do is focus on educating the ignorant - IMO most of them will side with us because the vast majority of people aren't evil. But don't even bother trying to appease the antis. Appeasement didn't work for Neville Chamberlain, it won't work for us.

You can't bargain with evil. You can't meet it half way. You can only fight it and destroy it.

Well said Sage... Jagertroop bump fired about 150 rds ate my place and the Sheriffs came over to hang out... :) One understood what it was and the other wanted to lock me up...

Funny stuff.

Btw It is hard (for me) to do and a waste of ammo but it IS legal. An dthe guy on here is the BEST bump fire guy I have EVER seen. Sorry Jagertroop. :)

Why are 9mm soo much easier to bump fire over a 5.56?

Experimentalist
11-21-2009, 2:49 PM
Pump actions are pretty scary too look at this guy maybe we should ban them:

cbd8biIvNL0&

It looks like he's holding the trigger back while cycling the action. This can potentially result in firing out of battery, something that's hard on the gun if not the shooter. Be careful out there.

Sunshine
11-21-2009, 3:17 PM
to me it looks like he's pulling the trigger each time, at least in the slow mo part

bodger
11-21-2009, 3:25 PM
I've bump fired my Bushmaster AR15. It's fun for a bit, but the novelty wears off pretty quick.

THIS is fun all day: And it's not far away either.

ayexjsbPIMQ

M. Sage
11-21-2009, 4:46 PM
It looks like he's holding the trigger back while cycling the action. This can potentially result in firing out of battery, something that's hard on the gun if not the shooter. Be careful out there.

It looks like he's pulling the trigger. I used to have an Ithaca Model 37, and the hammer would fall after the chamber closed if you held the trigger back and racked shells through it. The big danger IMO was hang-fires.

I did that quite a few times with that shotgun, never had an issue. And I'm pretty sure that you could hear the hammer fall when the bolt locked shut.

BigDogatPlay
11-21-2009, 4:56 PM
Ithaca 37, older Winchester Model 12 and original Winchester 1897 all were made without a disconnector. All will keep shooting if you hold the trigger back and pump the action. I've fired all three that way. Gets tough on the shoulder but it works pretty well

Not to try to hijack the thread, that guy with the AR pistol 9mm is definitely good... but if he shoulders it, is he constructively creating an SBR?

jrr
11-21-2009, 5:03 PM
Ok, so off topic for a second here.... Is that an SBR, or a "pistol" with a full length buffer tube? Seems like the former, but the question then becomes, can that be construed as a buttstock, making it an SBR?

The Director
11-21-2009, 5:12 PM
Ok, so off topic for a second here.... Is that an SBR, or a "pistol" with a full length buffer tube? Seems like the former, but the question then becomes, can that be construed as a buttstock, making it an SBR?

Who cares what it is. He probably lives in a free state.

M. Sage
11-21-2009, 5:18 PM
Is it a butt stock? I've never seen a butt stock like that. (Mild sarcasm. It's obviously not a stock.)

I can rest the butt of my revolver against my shoulder and pull the trigger - that doesn't make it a rifle.

bodger
11-21-2009, 5:21 PM

\

:rofl2::rofl2:

BigDogatPlay
11-21-2009, 5:25 PM
Is it a butt stock? I've never seen a butt stock like that. (Mild sarcasm. It's obviously not a stock.)

I can rest the butt of my revolver against my shoulder and pull the trigger - that doesn't make it a rifle.

I agree. Common sense says it isn't a stock.

But not all LEOs and CaDOJ types operate on common sense when it comes to firearms.

Hence my question.

bodger
11-21-2009, 6:11 PM

Doesn't resting your revolver against your shoulder make it an AW in this state? :D:D

SkatinJJ
11-21-2009, 6:42 PM
Doesn't resting your revolver against your shoulder make it an AW in this state? :D:D

Yes, yes it actually does...

Think of the children. ;)

Semper FI!!!

JJ

patsline74
11-21-2009, 10:34 PM
I've bump fired my Bushmaster AR15. It's fun for a bit, but the novelty wears off pretty quick.

THIS is fun all day: And it's not far away either.

ayexjsbPIMQ

:eek:
Still a pretty big noob to non-bird-hunting guns, so I think that's the first time I've seen a FA pistol. I want. Badly.

stag1500
11-21-2009, 11:43 PM
The so called public saftey argument is total BS, we have records since 1934 to prove it.
Nicki

Excellent point. I'm going to start using that next time I'm in a debate with some anti-gun dummie.

M. Sage
11-21-2009, 11:59 PM
I agree. Common sense says it isn't a stock.

But not all LEOs and CaDOJ types operate on common sense when it comes to firearms.

Hence my question.

True, you might find yourself before a judge because of it, but I don't see it being something you're likely to get thrown in prison over.

If you're going to start worrying about LE misapplying the law, you're going to have a lot of sleepless nights!!

EBWhite
11-22-2009, 1:01 AM
RRA 9mm!!! haha

bodger
11-22-2009, 7:48 AM
:eek:
Still a pretty big noob to non-bird-hunting guns, so I think that's the first time I've seen a FA pistol. I want. Badly.

Arizona Tactical offers that little excursion for $800 for four hours with a minimum of five full-auto toys, including the ammo.
And I think that is the price for four up to people in the group.

7x57
11-22-2009, 7:53 AM

Probably, but that free state is not part of a free country. What matters is how the feds will construe it. I imagine he's fine, but it's a reasonable question.

7x57

BT JUSTICE
11-22-2009, 8:32 AM
Folks, I'm glad that there has been so much discussion about this, but my post seems to have been misconstrued by some. I'm the last person to get worried about anything, especially about the "feelings" of gun grabbing liberals.

I would, however, like the RKBA movement to be prepared for the anti-gun outcry about widespread machingegun possesion and mislabeling of semi autos as full autos "meant to be spray fired from the hip".

I don't know how long these bump firing videos have been floating around, but as many of you have already pointed out, the people demonstrating this technique for the world to see aren't the polished speakers and eloquent representatives our movement needs right now.

So to recap; I'm not worried, not paranoid, and not interested in pandering to liberal paranoia. Just saw something potentially harmful to our cause and thinking ahead....

The Director
11-22-2009, 9:40 AM
So to recap; I'm not worried, not paranoid, and not interested in pandering to liberal paranoia. Just saw something potentially harmful to our cause and thinking ahead....

People have been bump firing semi autos since there were semi autos. There are people out there who can pull the trigger damn near as fast as a bump fire as well.

Should we ban their index fingers? Who cares what the antis think. There are people in other states that legally have machine guns.

-hanko
11-22-2009, 9:57 AM
I'm equally aghast that these so-called 'professionals' have no knowledge of the law.:rolleyes:

-hanko

dansgold
11-22-2009, 10:17 AM
All that's necessary for the antis to want some new law is this statement:

"ooooh, I'm uh-scared"

So what. They are easily "uh-scared" by a strong wind on a hot day.

B Strong
11-22-2009, 10:43 AM
Hey BT, never mind the bumpfire, introduce your friends to this gentleman:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_McGivern

"Ed McGivern is renowned as one of the best handgunners that ever lived. His Guinness world record for "The greatest rapid-fire feat" (set in August 20, 1932 at the Lead Clube Range, South Dakota) still stands. This feat consisted of "firing two times from 15 feet five shots which could be covered by a silver half-dollar piece in 45/100's of a second".

M. Sage
11-22-2009, 11:27 AM
"meant to be spray fired from the hip".

Where do you think that myth originated from in the first place? It certainly wasn't from any military techniques. Some anti saw bump-firing and flipped a lid.

wash
11-22-2009, 12:58 PM
Firing from the hip is not illegal.

Guns made to be fired from the hip are not any more illegal than "a shoulder thing that goes up".

I want to get an NFA trust and an AOW just so I can fire from the hip.

bodger
11-22-2009, 5:23 PM
People have been bump firing semi autos since there were semi autos. There are people out there who can pull the trigger damn near as fast as a bump fire as well.

Should we ban their index fingers? Who cares what the antis think. There are people in other states that legally have machine guns.

Jerry Miculik. Eight rounds fired from a revolver in ONE second.
Check his reload speed.

CsLx5ISBXw4

Rob454
11-22-2009, 6:00 PM
Theire just gonna find something else to ***** about anyways

Ford8N
11-22-2009, 6:06 PM
All that's necessary for the antis to want some new law is this statement:

"ooooh, I'm uh-scared"

So what. They are easily "uh-scared" by a strong wind on a hot day.

But they get their wish. They control California government at the highest levels.
and there is nothing to stop them at this time.

Dangerous
11-22-2009, 6:13 PM
JESUS that fool is fast...

Dr Rockso
11-22-2009, 6:24 PM
I think it's a legitimate observation. If there's ever another push for a federal AWB I expect to see a lot of these videos on primetime news channels. Not saying it's wrong to bumpfire or videotape it, but we should just be prepared for that possibility.

goldleviathan
11-22-2009, 6:25 PM
Looks like a waste of ammo.