PDA

View Full Version : Arrest: Marijuana and guns don't mix

SteveH
11-20-2009, 11:40 AM
Man to be charged in shotgun blast
By JON CASSIDY
2009-11-19 10:22:17
HUNTINGTON BEACH A man arrested on suspicion of shooting a shotgun inside his Huntington Beach home during a disagreement with his girlfriend is scheduled to be arraigned this morning on four related felony counts.

Matthew Michael Chapman, 31, was arrested Sept. 28 after a long discussion with his girlfriend that included talk of suicide and ended with a blast from a sawed-off shotgun and a search that turned up drugs, according to court records.

Nine days later, Huntington Beach police were called to his fourplex at Toulouse Drive to settle a dispute with another woman. They ended up searching the place for drugs again.

Around 3 a.m. Sept. 28, Shiloh Temple got a text message from Chapman, her boyfriend, saying he was going to give away his belongings, according to a search warrant. Worried, she went to his house, and then left around 6 a.m. after an argument. Just as she was about to drive off, she heard a gunshot from inside and walked back to the door, the warrant said.

Chapman pointed a shotgun at her and told her to leave, she told police, who came and surrounded the building. Chapman surrendered two hours later, according to the warrant.

In a search that day, police seized a sawed-off shotgun and two jars of marijuana, although their warrant was only for weapons.

Nine days later, it was Chapman calling the police at 6:30 in the morning. Reena Hawley, identified in a search warrant as Chapman's ex-girlfriend, was refusing to leave the fourplex, where she stayed several nights a week, according to the warrant.

Police told Hawley she needed to leave to defuse the confrontation, and she asked to get her things first, the warrant said.

The police account is that when Hawley went to the master bedroom, she announced, "He's got a bunch of drugs in here." According to the police, Hawley then opened drawers and a suitcase, pointing out pills and four jars of marijuana. There was a fifth jar of marijuana in plain view in the living room, according to the warrant.

No mention was made in the request for the second warrant of the marijuana the police had seized nine days earlier.

In the second search, police found a pound and a half of marijuana in large glass jars, and another ounce in a mason jar marked "Mine," according to the warrant.

MrPlutonium
11-20-2009, 12:11 PM
One thing the world isn't lacking is boneheads like this. Good riddance I say.

Nose Nuggets
11-20-2009, 12:11 PM
"mine"

whoops...

Untamed1972
11-20-2009, 12:15 PM
I thought pot was legal in CA? 5 jars sounds like just personal use to me LOL

chickenfried
11-20-2009, 12:15 PM
Why'd she call the cops, he was just trying to discipline his dog.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=242558&highlight=penis

Unit74
11-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Think he'll get bail this time?

nicki
11-20-2009, 12:44 PM
The question is which is more stupid.

Possession of that much Pot or possession of a under a 18 inch barrel shotgun which triggers federal NFA violations also.

Wonder if this guys public defender will try to challenge "Miller".

Nicki

Cokebottle
11-20-2009, 1:00 PM
It's a challenge for a PD to find his car keys in the morning.

Dealt with one and known a few people who dealt with others.
The only term they seem to know is "Nolo Contendre"

1911su16b870
11-20-2009, 1:10 PM
Nothing mixes with stoopid...:(

SteveH
11-20-2009, 2:39 PM
Think he'll get bail this time?

I just looked him up on the court website. He's already a convicted felon. Frequent flier.

otteray
11-20-2009, 3:01 PM
"mine"

whoops...

He's a Bogart and therefore, deserves to be punished, anyway.

B Strong
11-20-2009, 3:48 PM
The question is which is more stupid.

Possession of that much Pot or possession of a under a 18 inch barrel shotgun which triggers federal NFA violations also.

Nicki

Chances are that the feds won't be interestedin the NFA violation - the guy will go down on state drug charges with a firearn in possession enhancement.

Shotgun Man
11-20-2009, 4:14 PM
It's a challenge for a PD to find his car keys in the morning.

Dealt with one and known a few people who dealt with others.
The only term they seem to know is "Nolo Contendre"

There are good ones and bad ones just like in any other profession.

Being a PD says nothing about your abilities as a lawyer except that you're likely to know the practices of the local courthouse(s) you work in.

RTE
11-20-2009, 4:20 PM
Should have stayed in school so he could spell
Nine :D correctly

One less Doh Head on the streets, probably won't see much of a difference?

M198
11-20-2009, 4:46 PM
This jerk made my GF late for work. We live in the same neighborhood and the SWAT team blocked off the the street into it. I never heard a gunshot and slept like a baby the whole night. This isn't a bad neighborhood so it's pretty unusual.

MP301
11-21-2009, 8:40 PM
The guy is a walking ClusterF***.... a ild form of "Natural selection" @ work.... Stay out of the shallow end of the gene pool and maybe things like this wont happen...duh

CABilly
11-21-2009, 9:52 PM
Sounds like a perfect case for Mr. Gorski to use to finally take on NFA and California's SBS laws.

Seesm
11-21-2009, 10:54 PM
Everytime I read he fired the shotgun ...I was thinking hopfully he takes himself out... People like this make me bummed I am breathing the same air as them... :(

shmeddie
11-22-2009, 12:22 AM
Wow! A pound and a half! That is a lot of weed! And a sawed off shotgun? Sounds like a drug dealer to me. What are these people thinking?

SteveH
11-22-2009, 8:09 AM
Wow! A pound and a half! That is a lot of weed! And a sawed off shotgun? Sounds like a drug dealer to me. What are these people thinking?

Maybe he is thinking marijuana is medicine and an arbitray law stating a shotgun has to be a certain length is unconstitutional?

Ford8N
11-22-2009, 4:50 PM
I just looked him up on the court website. He's already a convicted felon. Frequent flier.

But aren't all these gun laws on the books suppose to stop sh*theads like this from getting guns? If they don't work, why have them?:whistling::gene: