PDA

View Full Version : High Cap magazine adaper legality?

himurax13
11-20-2009, 9:30 AM
I know it is legal to use my preban High Cap Sig P226 Magazines in my Sig P228. I was wondering if it is legal to use a magazine adapter in order to fill in the gap on the grip. If I took the adapter off, I would be able to use it in a Sig P226 but with the adapter installed, it will not work. I am specifically referring to the one in the link below:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=20827/Product/XGRIP_trade__MAGAZINE_ADAPTER

boxbro
11-20-2009, 10:38 AM
I could be wrong but the way I understand it is, if it's a preban high capacity mag, then you can do whatever you want to it and use it in whatever gun you want.
I would recommend waiting for the more eloquent speaking and knowledgeable people here, like bwiese, hoffmang, etc., to answer before doing anything.

Decoligny
11-20-2009, 11:00 AM
You could add tassles and flashing LEDs on the bottom and paint it with tiger stripes and it would still be legal.

It is a magazine with a capacity of more than 10 rounds. If it can be made to fit into a gun, it can be used in that gun legally.

It already exists as a hi-cap mag, so adding the adapter would not be "manufacturing" any more than adding a different spring would.

Barney Gumble
11-20-2009, 11:01 AM
If you use such a device to turn a magazine with 10 rounds or less capacity into more than 10 rounds capacity, you have manufactured a large-capacity magazine, which is illegal. Some of those adapters are made to turn a 9-round mag into a 12 round mag. Can't do that.

However if you already have pre-ban high cap mags (greater than 10 rounds) you can make them larger. For example you could legally use one of these adapters to make a 12-round mag into a 15-round mag. The law doesn't care how many rounds a large-capacity magazine holds.

himurax13
11-20-2009, 11:11 AM
Well it does not increase the capacity at all. It just makes the larger mag fit perfectly into the smaller gun by using a plastic adapter that goes around the bottom of the mag itself.

Barney Gumble
11-20-2009, 1:54 PM
Well it does not increase the capacity at all. It just makes the larger mag fit perfectly into the smaller gun by using a plastic adapter that goes around the bottom of the mag itself.

Oh I see, they do say "increases capacity from 9 rounds to 12 rounds" for some of the HK models but I guess they mean because you're using the larger magazine.