PDA

View Full Version : Gah! I have a headace! CA gun law questions...

Fyathyrio
11-19-2009, 8:49 PM
OK, in the Navy so kind of new to CA. I want to buy a revolver from a private party on gunbroker.com primarily for my wife to use. It's in AZ, I'm in San Diego. If I understand things right...

I cannot drive there to pick it up and do a FTF xfer...right?

I cannot buy it specifically for my wife, I must buy it for me and she gets to use it, unless she does the paper work and it's all hers then.

I must use an FFL here to receive and hold in gun jail and do the paperwork.

I think the above is correct, if not, please let me know. My other question that I can't seem to find for sure is...

Can the private seller send it or must he also use an FFL?

Thanks,
Mark

Cokebottle
11-19-2009, 9:05 PM
I cannot drive there to pick it up and do a FTF xfer...right?
Correct.
I cannot buy it specifically for my wife, I must buy it for me and she gets to use it, unless she does the paper work and it's all hers then.

California is a community property state. You can purchase it and register it in your name, and she is free to use it as hers. If a LEO runs the serial number, it will come back not-stolen, and registered to someone with the same last name.
I must use an FFL here to receive and hold in gun jail and do the paperwork.
Correct.
10 day waiting period, no more than 1 handgun purchase every 30 days (FTF PPT doesn't count toward the 30 day limitation).
Can the private seller send it or must he also use an FFL?
That, I don't know.

It also must be on the roster for anything other than a FTF PPT:
http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

Fyathyrio
11-19-2009, 9:12 PM
Ah, thanks for the link to the list...it's on there.

I think I've found the answer to the last one...it's up to the FFL I use to decide if he'll accept from a private party. Does that sound right?

Thanks again,
Mark

Cokebottle
11-19-2009, 9:18 PM
Ah, thanks for the link to the list...it's on there.

I think I've found the answer to the last one...it's up to the FFL I use to decide if he'll accept from a private party. Does that sound right?
That sounds right from what I've heard. It's not a California thing what an out of state FFL does, all they care about is that it be received into the state through an FFL, and I don't believe there is a federal requirement, as there is no need or process to "unregister" a gun (that isn't registered to begin with) when it leaves possession of a resident of another state.

Fyathyrio
11-20-2009, 6:41 AM
OK, got it figured out. The 1st FFL I had spoken with said he would have to receive from another FFL in a manner implying it was required by law. Turns out that's just his requirement, so I found another who will deal with out of state private seller and life is good.

Thanks,
Mark