PDA

View Full Version : Why is CalCCW endorsing Hunter?

SteveH
11-19-2009, 5:55 AM
A third candidate has reportedly entered the OC Sheriff race. He's a veteren of the scandel ridden anaheim police department. Upper management. Unknown by south county voters.

I'm afraid his late entry will simply split the gun rights vote between Hunt and Himself thus ensuring a Hutchens win.

So who is this Greg Block guy, and why is he holding a fundraiser for the guy who will guarantee a Hutchens re-election? Maybe he can talk Jack Anderson into running and further dilute the anti-incumbant vote.

Hutchins and Hillman must be smiling today.

OCCCWS
11-19-2009, 7:05 AM
Craig Hunter is pretty well respected across the county and beyond. And so far he's the only candidate who hasn't revoked CCWs or hosted a fundraiser where his key speaker made jokes about Mexicans. I'm just sayin', maybe he should be given a chance...

SteveH
11-19-2009, 7:14 AM
Craig Hunter is pretty well respected across the county and beyond.

In all seriousness. Before today I never heard of him and I've live in south Orange county for 20 years. The first think i think of when someone says Anaheim PD is "the chief that lost his gun" and "The cops who shot the homeowner with the broomstick." South county soccor moms do not want anaheim style policing in Mission Viejo, Laguna Niguel, Laguna Hills and Aliso Viejo. They already know Hunt and support him.

Additionally i do not think the Deputies Union (AOCDS) will support anyone from an outside agency. I think the Deputies are sick of all the changes Hutchen and Hillman brought down from LASO and LAPD. I don't think they want to go to APD like policy changes in 2010. Thats something any of the candidates could learn from. You dont go to a new workplace you dont understand and try to make it like your old workplace. If you do people will not like you.

Not that it matters, because with three candidates in the race Hutchens is going to win.

OCCCWS
11-19-2009, 7:34 AM
In all seriousness. Before today I never heard of him and I've live in south Orange county for 20 years. The first think i think of when someone says Anaheim PD is "the chief that lost his gun" and "The cops who shot the homeowner with the broomstick." South county soccor moms do not want anaheim style policing in Mission Viejo, Laguna Niguel, Laguna Hills and Aliso Viejo. They already know Hunt and support him.

Additionally i do not think AOCDS will support anyone from an outside agency. I think the Deputies are sick of all the changes Hutchen and Hillman brought down from LASO and LAPD. I don't think they want to go to APD like policy changes in 2010. Thats something any of the candidates could learn from. You dont go to a new workplace you dont understand and try to make it like your old workplace. If you do people will not like you.

Not that it matters, because with three candidates in the race Hutchens is going to win.

We could get into a discussion about departmental ethics involving ANY candidate or their department, but there are some realities to consider. First, this election will not be won on the single issue of CCW. Two, a three way race (or even a four or five way race) usually results in a runoff in OC. Third, if you want to give Hutchens so much credit in being able to win a three way race, then we should all go home and let her keep the job. I think you overestimate her base and the revelations STILL to come out about her (yes, we've been working on her continuously since she was appointed). Finally, there are big issues in this race beyond CCW, such as the fiscal stumbles that Hutchens has allowed.

So, as I said, let's hear him out.

Foulball
11-19-2009, 7:46 AM
Craig Hunter is known to sheriffs all across the county. And the Anaheim PD works closely with the sheriffs office on a daily basis. I wouldn't count out their support for him. Hell, I live in Anaheim and I love their department. I've been here over 11 years and have never had a problem with them or their response time.

Protectmine
11-19-2009, 8:04 AM
We could get into a discussion about departmental ethics involving ANY candidate or their department, but there are some realities to consider. First, this election will not be won on the single issue of CCW. Two, a three way race (or even a four or five way race) usually results in a runoff in OC. Third, if you want to give Hutchens so much credit in being able to win a three way race, then we should all go home and let her keep the job. I think you overestimate her base and the revelations STILL to come out about her (yes, we've been working on her continuously since she was appointed). Finally, there are big issues in this race beyond CCW, such as the fiscal stumbles that Hutchens has allowed.

Agreed. Hunter has a good reputation and I think he deserves a chance. From what I have heard he is actually a big supporter of 2A and CCW and does not have the skeletons in his closet that other potential candidates may have. Additionally he heads an 800 person operation unlike another candidate that has only managed about 70 people. Not saying that candidate could not do a good job just saying that Hunter has more experience already under his belt and that is good. That is the beauty of living in a democratic society - we can have different viewpoints and different candidates and hopefully the best one wins. Let the games begin!

U2BassAce
11-19-2009, 8:05 AM

Additionally i do not think the Deputies Union (AOCDS) will support anyone from an outside agency. I think the Deputies are sick of all the changes Hutchen and Hillman brought down from LASO and LAPD. I don't think they want to go to APD like policy changes in 2010. Thats something any of the candidates could learn from. You dont go to a new workplace you dont understand and try to make it like your old workplace. If you do people will not like you.

I am curious of the break down in population/voters between the cities you list and say Anaheim, Santa Ana, etc etc. Need I remind you this is a county wide vote.

Hunt is linked to the former 2 1/2 term Sheriff, has recently had a lawsuit against Orange County (I am an OC citizen, taxpayer and voter, I don't really appreciate that) thrown out of court and campaigns along side........

Hutchens has no idea how to run a department and with her LA bias has no clue about Orange County culture. She has wasted millions at a time the county faces a fiscal emergency. I could go on and on and on......

Hunter can't be linked to the former Sheriff, he has the experience and I assume he understands Orange County culture. (I look forwawrd to hearing more from Hunter)

So game on!:boxing_smiley:

U2BassAce
11-19-2009, 8:06 AM
Agreed. Hunter has a good reputation and I think he deserves a chance. From what I have heard he is actually a big supporter of 2A and CCW and does not have the skeletons in his closet that other potential candidates may have. Additionally he heads an 800 person operation unlike another candidate that has only managed about 70 people. Not saying that candidate could not do a good job just saying that Hunter has more experience already under his belt and that is good. That is the beauty of living in a democratic society - we can have different viewpoints and different candidates and hopefully the best one wins. Let the games begin!

+1;)

SteveH
11-19-2009, 8:10 AM

Its not matter of giving Hutchens credit. She's simply the incumbant and therefore has a huge advantage. The average uninformed voter will vote for the incumbant first, the most recognizable name second, the issues third. Does Hunter have enough name recognition in south county?

On the issue of the Deputies union you completely missed the point. Its not a matter of like or dislike. Its a matter of the change aversion in any large agency. They will have had a couple of years to learn how to do things the LAPD way them they are going to flush that and go to the APD way? The Deputies will support Hutchens before they support another outsider. The devil you know and all that.

SteveH
11-19-2009, 8:13 AM
I am curious of the break down in population/voters between the cities you list and say Anaheim, Santa Ana, etc etc. Need I remind you this is a county wide vote.

Hunt is linked to the former 2 1/2 term Sheriff, has recently had a lawsuit against Orange County (I am an OC citizen, taxpayer and voter, I don't really appreciate that) thrown out of court and campaigns along side........

Hutchens has no idea how to run a department and with her LA bias has no clue about Orange County culture. She has wasted millions at a time the county faces a fiscal emergency. I could go on and on and on......

Hunter can't be linked to the former Sheriff, he has the experience and I assume he understands Orange County culture. (I look forwawrd to hearing more from Hunter)

So game on!:boxing_smiley:

People in north county dont care who the sheriff is. The money and the votes are down south in the areas the Sheriff has a large patrol presence. Anaheim culture is more LA like than south county like.

Protectmine
11-19-2009, 8:14 AM
Its not matter of giving Hutchens credit. She's simply the incumbant and therefore has a huge advantage. The average uninformed voter will vote for the incumbant first, the most recognizable name second, the issues third. Does Hunter have enough name recognition in south county?

On the issue of the Deputies union you completely missed the point. Its not a matter of like or dislike. Its a matter of the change aversion in any large agency. They will have had a couple of years to learn how to do things the LAPD way them they are going to flush that and go to the APD way? The Deputies will support Hutchens before they support another outsider. The devil you know and all that.

I agree the incumbent always has the name recognition but that is the campaign managers job. I do disagree with you on the deputies supporting her. I have talked to many and most are not fans of her style. Of course there are things she has done right but mostly things that have been done wrong. Those are the issues that will get focused on in the election. The fiscal issues will be a BIG deal in the election because right now the electorate is tired of our government wasting our tax dollars and it is much more visible because of the CA issue AND the huge waste in Federal dollars going on. I think that will be enough to get voters to...dare I say it...CHANGE.

SteveH
11-19-2009, 8:19 AM
I agree the incumbent always has the name recognition but that is the campaign managers job. I do disagree with you on the deputies supporting her. I have talked to many and most are not fans of her style. Of course there are things she has done right but mostly things that have been done wrong. Those are the issues that will get focused on in the election. The fiscal issues will be a BIG deal in the election because right now the electorate is tired of our government wasting our tax dollars and it is much more visible because of the CA issue AND the huge waste in Federal dollars going on. I think that will be enough to get voters to...dare I say it...CHANGE.

The deputies do not like Hutchens because she constantly changes the policies and proceedures to make them more LAPD or LASO like. I have talked to them for many hours about this. *If* Hunter can promise the deputies he will recind Hutchen policy changes to the way they were before she took over, or at least not change anything else, they might support him. But the first time he rewrites a policy to make it more like Anaheim they will turn on him.

U2BassAce
11-19-2009, 8:21 AM
PRESS
For Immediate Release

November 17, 2009

Anaheim Deputy Chief Craig Hunter to Run for Orange County Sheriff

(Anaheim) – Today, Anaheim Deputy Chief Craig Hunter announced his candidacy for Orange County Sheriff, bringing to the race a long and accomplished career of public safety leadership.

“I’ve spent my law enforcement career here in Orange County, and I am convinced our County is the best place in America to raise a family and build a business,” said Chief Hunter. “Our next Sheriff should have a familiarity with our County’s diverse communities and unique needs. They must also restore integrity and trust in the position and ensure that our Sheriff’s Department is a model for efficiency and effectiveness in using taxpayer dollars. As Sheriff, that’s what I’ll work to do, just as I’ve done in Anaheim for the past thirty years.”

Integrity, leadership, and professionalism are the hallmarks of Chief Hunter’s impressive thirty-year record of law enforcement – a record that includes nearly twenty years of police management and supervision.

One of the most respected members of Orange County’s law enforcement community, Chief Hunter oversees all daily police operations of California’s tenth largest city, including the department’s nearly 800 full time and volunteer members and a $120 million budget.

Through polices developed under Chief Hunter’s tenure, Anaheim has earned national acclaim for homeland security and community policing, and the city is recognized as the safest among California’s ten largest cities. Chief Hunter has also implemented numerous cost saving procedures that have streamlined spending, eliminated waste, and created more efficient use of taxpayer dollars.

Chief Hunter holds a Master’s Degree in Criminal Justice from Chapman University. He is also a graduate of the FBI National Academy, Command College, POST Leadership Institute, and the Delinquency Control Institute at USC.

Additionally, Chief Hunter holds a community college teaching credential, and he has lectured and been published on topics including tourist policing, crisis management, terrorism, and leadership.

Chief Hunter began his law enforcement career at the age of nineteen as a reserve police officer for the City of Garden Grove. In 1982 Chief Hunter joined the Anaheim Police Department, where over the next twenty-seven years he served in a variety of specialized assignments including jail operations, personnel, budget, internal affairs, narcotics, gangs, career criminal apprehension, SWAT, robbery, labor relations, aviation, and special events.

Craig and Lisa Hunter live in Yorba Linda and are busy raising their four children. Chief Hunter is a volunteer Scoutmaster with the Boy Scouts of America and has two sons who are Eagle Scouts. Chief Hunter also spends his weekends officiating high school and college football.

He has hired veteran political strategist Tim Clark of ClarkDavis Associates to head up the campaign and experienced fundraising consultant Anne Dunsmore to lead the finance team.

So far so good! I like what I hear!!! I look forward to hearing his stance on CCW issuance in Orange County. (I assume for now, by the name of this thread, that it must be positive)

BTW I also have lived in Anaheim for the last 14 years and have been proud of our city and our department. Hate to lose someone with Hunter's experience. But if the important points are addressed to my satisfaction, I would gladly support him moving on for the sake of our county, that I love!

:clap::clap:

Protectmine
11-19-2009, 8:24 AM
The deputies do not like Hutchens because she constantly changes the policies and proceedures to make them more LAPD or LASO like. I have talked to them for many hours about this. *If* Hunter can promise the deputies he will recind Hutchen policy changes to the way they were before she took over, or at least not change anything else, they might support him. But the first time he rewrites a policy to make it more like Anaheim they will turn on him.

that is true many of her policies ARE ridiculous and misguided. But of course EVERY Sheriff is going to change policy - change is inevitable. The Deputies, God love em (and many are my friends), are still a union group with a union mentality - most don't like ANY change to their routine. :rolleyes:

All we can hope for is the Sheriff in charge does what is best for the citizens of OC and those that protect them.

Foulball
11-19-2009, 8:29 AM

From 2005: http://www.beachcalifornia.com/orange-county-population.html

Too much to list here, but North OC heavily outnumbers South OC. And they do vote, in large numbers. Don't believe me? Just ask B-1 Bob and the Sanchez sisters.

U2BassAce
11-19-2009, 8:35 AM
People in north county dont care who the sheriff is. The money and the votes are down south in the areas the Sheriff has a large patrol presence. Anaheim culture is more LA like than south county like.

Excuse me????

The OCSD does a lot more than just patrol South County. They also patrol at least three parts of North/Central County that I dare say have tons of money (old money) and are very politically active. North Tustin, Orange Park Acres and Villa Park. (take a drive through those areas one day and check out the homes located there)

They also control the county jails and work the county courts. (the majority located in North or Central County) They also have a HUGE budget that the county tax payers AS A WHOLE pay for. Beyond solid reputation, this battle will come down to mostly who can run, or who can prove they can run (from experience and a solid plan) a more efficient OCSD.

Let's also not forget the home town crowd (Anaheim) voting for one of their own.

SteveH
11-19-2009, 8:43 AM
that is true many of her policies ARE ridiculous and misguided. But of course EVERY Sheriff is going to change policy - change is inevitable. The Deputies, God love em (and many are my friends), are still a union group with a union mentality - most don't like ANY change to their routine. :rolleyes:

All we can hope for is the Sheriff in charge does what is best for the citizens of OC and those that protect them.

Policy change in order to improve service is good. But the knee jerk "I don't understand this so lets make it like my last job" policy changes are horrible for morale. I have friends who are Deputies and they say its becomming like working for the fire department. Sit on your butt and wait for a call. Afraid to do anything proactive or you'll get fired for some minor policy infraction of a new day old policy.

Hunt could undo that in a second.

SteveH
11-19-2009, 8:45 AM
Excuse me????

The OCSD does a lot more than just patrol South County. They also patrol at least three parts of North/Central County that I dare say have tons of money (old money) and are very politically active.

There are many more deputies assigned to patrol in south operations than north operations. Every year south increases and north decreases. The county power structure as well is shifting southward.

Protectmine
11-19-2009, 9:08 AM
There are many more deputies assigned to patrol in south operations than north operations. Every year south increases and north decreases. The county power structure as well is shifting southward.

Not to pick a fight but where on Earth do you get your statistics? I am from South County but not sure I agree. If you have documentation to the above please post so we can all educate ourselves. Otherwise you just sound like you are on the Hunt bandwagon for the sake of being on the bandwagon. It is important that we understand the complete landscape and if in the end Hunt or Hunter is the guy I should support I will make that decision but it is still WAY too early to make that determination.

SteveH
11-19-2009, 9:18 AM
Not to pick a fight but where on Earth do you get your statistics? I am from South County but not sure I agree.

http://www.ocregister.com/news/overtime-189733-deputies-sheriff.html

North Patrol is unincorporated islands, part of the canyon, sunset beach and stanton.

South patrol is the rest of the canyon, Mission Viejo, Lake Forrest, Laguna Hills, Laguna Niguel, Aliso Viejo, Laguna Woods, Rancho, San Juan, Dana Point, San Clemente...I'm sure I'm forgetting someone.

You really think those little two block unincorporated islands in north county have more staffing than Lake Forest or Mission Viejo?

Check the data at the link provided. for example in early 2008 North Patrol only had 76 deputies assigned to it. The southern contract city of Mission Viejo on the other hand had 59. you telling me they are less than 17 deputies for all the other south contract cities? It is a fact that the majority of Sheriffs patrols take place in south orange county. Its been than way at least 10 years and the trend is continuing unless OCSD takes over some north county agencies. Ask a chica on 17th Steet in Santa Ana who she wants to be sheriff she isnt going to care. Ask the soccor mom in coto and she will have a strong opinion and already knows Hunt.

I'm a hunt supporter in that he has the name recognition to stand a chance in a one on one race. The minor policy issues that differ between hunt and hunter are less important than name recognition and electability. Hunt almost won a few years back. He has even better name recognition now. Hunter is a relative unknown. Hell OC voters will probably think he's Duncan Hunter.

Protectmine
11-19-2009, 9:22 AM
North Patrol is unincorporated islands, part of the canyon, sunset beach and stanton.

South patrol is the rest of the canyon, Mission Viejo, Lake Forrest, Laguna Hills, Laguna Niguel, Aliso Viejo, Laguna Woods, Rancho, San Juan, Dana Point, San Clemente...I'm sure I'm forgetting someone.

You really think those little two block unincorporated islands in north county have more staffing than Lake Forest or Mission Viejo?

But i'll look around for the raw numbers. Though i never needed to count to see the obvious.

No of course not but it is an ENTIRE OC vote so even people who live in cities that border the unincorporated areas are going to vote. Did you think that only the areas of patrol are the voting blocks? I am very familiar with the actual areas that OCSD patrols.

M. D. Van Norman
11-19-2009, 9:27 AM
I think Orange County RKBA proponents need to rally around one candidate … and the sooner the better. I have been a Hunt supporter so far, though I’m not pleased with some of the directions his campaign has taken. I will still listen to other voices.

We need to have our act together on election day.

OCCCWS
11-19-2009, 9:29 AM
I think Orange County RKBA proponents need to rally around one candidate … and the sooner the better. I have been a Hunt supporter so far, though I’m not pleased with some of the directions his campaign has taken. I will still listen to other voices.

We need to have our act together on election day.

Best case scenario...runoff between Hunter and Hunt. We can dream, right? ;)

Protectmine
11-19-2009, 9:30 AM
Best case scenario...runoff between Hunter and Hunt. We can dream, right? ;)

exactly.

Kestryll
11-19-2009, 9:36 AM
A third candidate has reportedly entered the OC Sheriff race. He's a veteren of the scandel ridden anaheim police department. Upper management. Unknown by south county voters.

I'm afraid his late entry will simply split the gun rights vote between Hunt and Himself thus ensuring a Hutchens win.

So who is this Greg Block guy, and why is he holding a fundraiser for the guy who will guarantee a Hutchens re-election? Maybe he can talk Jack Anderson into running and further dilute the anti-incumbant vote.

Hutchins and Hillman must be smiling today.

If you really want to know I would suggest you ask them on their forum as no one here can answer that for you.

If you just want to vent about them doing so, we do not condone nor allow forum bashing here.
All it does it lead to bigger problems.