PDA

View Full Version : Legal Mini-14 GB?

jdberger
06-08-2005, 12:03 PM
Just curious, is this Mini-14 configuration Kali legal (assuming a ten round mag)?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/Trenchknife/rugermini14.jpg

jdberger
06-08-2005, 12:06 PM
in other words....no?
What is the distinction?

imported_DULLYJAY
06-08-2005, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by jdberger:
in other words....no?
What is the distinction?
Yes. You can go to your local dealer and get one. Ted was say-n no flash suppressor and you're all good.

jdberger
06-08-2005, 12:41 PM
Thanks, but not looking for an ordinary Mini. Looking for a GB and wondering if it Cali Legal.

bwiese
06-08-2005, 1:05 PM
I believe the GB models came only with flash suppresors; some GB models also had the factory folder stock. I'm not sure if GB models also had a bayonet lug but that is moot as CA AW law does not worry about that.

Either of these items make the Mini14 GB banned 'by feature' as a Type III assault weapon in CA.

However, Mini 14 GB is not banned in CA by specific name (that is, it's not one of the Roberti-Roos 'named 54' guns).

If you really really want a Mini 14 GB you could have one sent into a CA FFL without a flash hider. The flash hider must be removed out of state unless your CA FFL also holds a (relatively rare) CA Assault Weapons permit, in which case your dealer could accept the rifle and modify it before transferring it to you.

You would replace the removed flash hider with a current muzzle brake. Various Mini14 brakes are available (see Brownell's, etc.) that do not reduce optical power.

If you found a Mini 14 GB in CA that was reg'd as an AW, and the owner wanted to sell it (?!?!) he could remove the flash hider, de-register it with Calif DOJ, and transfer it to you via FFL as an ordinary rifle.

But why you want a GB is beyond me. You'll be paying a premium for a subpar gun. Mini 14s of all stripes are not that accurate; you're far better off not dealing with these hoops and getting one of the new 2005 models with the better/more accurate barrel + chamber; Ruger is making these bbls now instead of outsourcing them and quite a few folks feel they're much better.

Still, it's not an AR15, but we won't go there http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Bill Wiese
San Jose

jdberger
06-08-2005, 1:34 PM
Bill and Ted,

Excellent info!

No particular reason that I want the GB. Just saw it and the price was pretty reasonable so I thought that it was worth exploring.

I'm pretty sure that I'm gonna settle on 2005 Mini. I still have ARs but they live in Arizona. I occasionally visit them.