PDA

View Full Version : God, sometimes I hate living in SF...

GraveTrain
11-18-2009, 10:21 PM
It used to be not like this. It's like a sickness, infection or virus somehow made its way through this once great, strong city, weakening our resolve and courage.

As a firearm owner and advocate, I'm not sure if the Bay Area is ready for CCW. Just read some of the comments for yourselves...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/scavenger/detail?entry_id=51902

Purple K
11-18-2009, 10:25 PM
They all just need to be educated.

bballwizard05
11-18-2009, 10:27 PM
I watched the video, I think the guy handles it fairly well... idk he seemed maybe slightly rude, but then again I dont live in SF and have to deal with extreme anti's... also the posts below that article, someone called the people "crazies" I kinda wanna punch that person in the face

MajorBoothroyd
11-18-2009, 10:28 PM
Wait a minute... A bunch of folks are making irrational claims about firearms advocates and owners being violently inclined people looking for a reason to use weapons and are a danger to the public at large...and your response is to suggest that they and a bunch of completely innocent people that disagree with them should be killed by use of air to ground munitions?

*sigh*

Gray Peterson
11-18-2009, 10:41 PM
San Franciscans will have to learn to respect the rights of those to carry for personal protection very soon, much in the same way the southern states had to legally respect the right of interracial couples to marry and hold hands together after the Loving decision.

San Franciscans have always been ready. Not many of them are going to get PC12050 licenses, and right now, only one person has a civilian CCW issued by either SFPD and SFSO.

-Gray

bigcalidave
11-18-2009, 10:53 PM
I tried to read some of the comments. What a bunch of idiots. Typical of the crowd that sits on the local newspaper sites everyday and make their comments though. I click the report this comment button on every anti comment... :) eventually they all get deleted, right?

GraveTrain
11-18-2009, 11:16 PM
Wait a minute... A bunch of folks are making irrational claims about firearms advocates and owners being violently inclined people looking for a reason to use weapons and are a danger to the public at large...and your response is to suggest that they and a bunch of completely innocent people that disagree with them should be killed by use of air to ground munitions?

*sigh*

Major... please understand it's WAY more than just ccw. It's the fines for not sorting your trash, school busing, homeless, opne drug use, increasing/unprosecuted violent crime, legislation to ban dark colored cars, soda/potato chip tax, no cigarettes at Walgreens, no plastic or paper bags, the living wage and our sanctuary laws. In hindsight I mis-spoke out of frustration (albiet ironic), and have edited my initial post. :(

bballwizard05
11-18-2009, 11:18 PM
ban dark colored cars??? wtf why?

GraveTrain
11-18-2009, 11:24 PM
ban dark colored cars??? wtf why?

Sigh...

Because dark color cars retain too much heat, causing the interior to get too hot and drivers are then forced to use their AC which reduces the gas efficiency of the car. SFGov is considering banning the new sales of dark black, blue cars.

You can see how living here can get you on edge. :confused:

bballwizard05
11-18-2009, 11:26 PM
O-M-G wow... I vote to force SF to succeed from the U.S. and become its own little country.

Clodbuster
11-18-2009, 11:39 PM
Wow, for a minute, I thought San Francisco was banning them because black colored cars could be construed as assault styled weapons which should only be driven by SFPD. :p

Clod

Sigh...

Because dark color cars retain too much heat, causing the interior to get too hot and drivers are then forced to use their AC which reduces the gas efficiency of the car. SFGov is considering banning the new sales of dark black, blue cars.

You can see how living here can get you on edge. :confused:

pingpong
11-19-2009, 12:23 AM
O-M-G wow... I vote to force SF to succeed from the U.S. and become its own little country.

As opposed to fail from the US? :p

I've given up hope for SF. It's become a liberal breeding ground, what with the Castro district and whatnot.

edwardm
11-19-2009, 3:14 AM
I grew up in San Francisco. My dad grew up there and his dad before him, as well as his father before that.

My advice - Get Out. I did, almost 20 years ago. Best (and maybe only good) decision I made as an 18 year-old bound for college. I saw the writing on the wall, found a school in the sticks and GTFO.

It used to be not like this. It's like a sickness, infection or virus somehow made its way through this once great, strong city, weakening our resolve and courage.

As a firearm owner and advocate, I'm not sure if the Bay Area is ready for CCW. Just read some of the comments for yourselves...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/scavenger/detail?entry_id=51902

mofugly13
11-19-2009, 5:05 AM
San Franciscans will have to learn to respect the rights of those to carry for personal protection very soon, much in the same way the southern states had to legally respect the right of interracial couples to marry and hold hands together after the Loving decision.

San Franciscans have always been ready. Not many of them are going to get PC12050 licenses, and right now, only one person has a civilian CCW issued by either SFPD and SFSO.

-Gray

This is what I look forward to. I was born and raised here, third generation, and really don't want to leave, I love this City. I hate it's politics.

liketoshoot
11-19-2009, 5:21 AM
And now you can't buy a large screen TV in CA. as it uses to much electricity

Mulay El Raisuli
11-19-2009, 6:04 AM
In one of the related stories was this:

"We're here, we're armed, get used to it."

I just LOVE this!

The Raisuli

GraveTrain
11-19-2009, 7:20 AM
I grew up in San Francisco. My dad grew up there and his dad before him, as well as his father before that.

My advice - Get Out. I did, almost 20 years ago. Best (and maybe only good) decision I made as an 18 year-old bound for college. I saw the writing on the wall, found a school in the sticks and GTFO.

Like you I'm fourth generation San Franciscan and sending a fifth to high school next fall. Not gonna leave.... BIRTHRIGHT. I've always said that the true sons and daughters of San Francisco should embrace the imminent "big one", rebuild from the ground up and send the east coast, progressive carpetbaggers packing to find a new isolated settlement for their cult.

If you guys outside of the Bay Area especially you folks down south think you've got it bad, just pull of SFGate and read a couple of current stories about our fine village and you'll feel right as rain.

rsandovaljr
11-19-2009, 8:02 AM

WOW. Moderates have asked out of state residences who post on this site not to bash California residents and to realize that we are all in the same fight together. Using the same reasoning we are all Californians weather you live in San Francisco County or Taft. There is a large population of 2nd amendment supporters who live in San Francisco including myself. Why should we have to move because of the poor politics of the city. There are many amazing things about this city. We just have to fight harder to keep our rights and educate the ignorant.

dfletcher
11-19-2009, 8:20 AM
Had lunch yesterday with a group of clients at The Palace in SF. Someone commented on a story in the WSJ about offices in Texas being robbed (as in corporate offices, during staff meetings, etc) and I commented that was probably about the only place a robber could safely count on a Texan not having a gun with him. So the KTVU piece came up.

I was surprised that most of them had seen or heard of the piece & although there were a few "they can't do that, right?" comments most of the remarks were middle of the road and nothing virulently anti gun. One of the clients wanted to know where she could learn to shoot, a few thought it was OK, no one was strongly for but I sense that's because being a business meeting they didn't want to obviously "out" themselves so to speak.

I get the feeling the pendulum may swing a bit in SF - hard times and empty store fronts and office space have a habit of doing that to people.

a1c
11-19-2009, 8:27 AM
Sigh...

That's FUD. This rumor stemmed earlier this year from a CARB report:
http://www.arb.ca.gov/cc/cool-paints/final_cool_cars_workshop_presentation31209.pdf

stagman
11-19-2009, 8:59 AM
If you guys outside of the Bay Area especially you folks down south think you've got it bad, just pull of SFGate and read a couple of current stories about our fine village and you'll feel right as rain.

He's right, I have been working in SF for the last few months, and traveling home on weekends. This place, while beautiful is full of liberal, progressivism. I feel like Im being stared at because I DONT drive a Prius or have dreadlocks. Many parking garages dont even have the clearance for a full size pick-up truck.

I saw a billboard that stated "stop global warming by becoming a vegetarian." :eek: I saw a newspaper headline that said "Earth is warmest in 2000 years!" I didnt know they had thermometers in 0009 AD... We had to paint the roof of our new apartment building white, so it reflects heat better!

We who live down south dont truly know what liberal politics looks like...
Gorgeous weather though!

SgtDinosaur
11-19-2009, 9:14 AM
I read about 20 pages of the comments yesterday. Sadly, I was not surprised. When you think about it, this is why only CCW will work in the Bay Area. Too many hysterical people on the subject of guns. Their minds are not open to education.

tuolumnejim
11-19-2009, 9:16 AM
Hell I was born there and I wouldn't bat an eye if it fell in the sea, as a matter of fact some celibration would be in order.

david_place_834
11-19-2009, 9:20 AM
How is San Francisco mentioned in this article?

As far as I can tell this video was recorded by a person in Cupertino interviewed by deputies from Santa Clara. The only mention of San Francisco is Lloyd LaCuesta of KTVU-San Francisco and the source of the article SFGate. The Bay Area is quite diverse with different political leanings from county to county. Liberal San Francisco to Conservative Tri-Valley.

holasrmateo
11-19-2009, 9:25 AM

Sen. Feinstein?

HUTCH 7.62
11-19-2009, 9:29 AM
None of the posters on SF Gate mention that criminals carry guns all over SF.

I wish SF would just slip into the ocean

a1c
11-19-2009, 9:33 AM

As far as I can tell this video was recorded by a person in Cupertino interviewed by deputies from Santa Clara. The only mention of San Francisco is Lloyd LaCuesta of KTVU-San Francisco and the source of the article SFGate. The Bay Area is quite diverse with different political leanings from county to county. Liberal San Francisco to Conservative Tri-Valley.

But it's so much fun to pound on liberal gay-friendly gun-banning tree-hugging SF, especially when you don't know anything about the Bay Area geography or politics. :rolleyes:

HUTCH 7.62
11-19-2009, 9:41 AM

SF Gate is an SF newspaper that only cares about the concerns of frisco libby's

a1c
11-19-2009, 9:49 AM
SF Gate is an SF newspaper that only cares about the concerns of frisco libby's

C'mon. It also caters to Marin County liberals as well. :D

david_place_834
11-19-2009, 9:53 AM
Maybe I'm not applying critical thinking as some of your are, but I see both the SFGate article and KTVU's special reports as informative of the Second Amendment.

Both sources seem quite balanced regarding the issue. Isn't that what we gun-owners want? As a gun-owner, I don't want the looneys from either side to dictate what I do.

It explained: 1. what is going on. 2. cited both sides of the issue. 3. Heck, even gave a "how-to" to express your rights legally.

How do you see it as a negative about "open-carry"?

PS, Santa Clara County is 60 miles south of San Francisco. Wrong generalization guys, tree-huggers are Berkeley and Marin. San Francisco is a hedonist, narcissist town.

PS2, Feinstein turned in her CCW long time ago.

HUTCH 7.62
11-19-2009, 9:56 AM
Maybe I'm not applying critical thinking as some of your are, but I see both the SFGate article and KTVU's special reports as informative of the Second Amendment.

Both sources seem quite balanced regarding the issue. Isn't that what we gun-owners want?

It explained: 1. what is going on. 2. cited both sides of the issue. 3. Heck, even gave a "how-to" to express your rights legally.

Hmm I think most of us would agree that we would want the article to be more heavily weighted on the pro gun side. if not all together pro gun

GraveTrain
11-19-2009, 9:58 AM

Not the article. The comments. Somehow my fellow citizens feel that they have a moral directive to chime in whenever they feel that their progressive lifestyle is somehow threatened.

I would have to agree with some of the gun advocates who made comments. Openly carrying a handgun to prove a point is counterproductive to our cause. People in the Bay Area can't even wrap their heads around the concept of "legally, responsible firearm use and ownership". This and the other "investigative" piece they did about purchasing fully automatic firearms just across the NV boarder a few months back is killin' us.

tuolumnejim
11-19-2009, 10:42 AM

Both sources seem quite balanced regarding the issue. Isn't that what we gun-owners want? As a gun-owner, I don't want the looneys from either side to dictate what I do.

PS, Santa Clara County is 60 miles south of San Francisco. Wrong generalization guys, tree-huggers are Berkeley and Marin. San Francisco is a hedonist, narcissist town.

PS2, Feinstein turned in her CCW long time ago.

From a while back I seem to remember that the witch has not one but two CCW's and she only turned in one.

a1c
11-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Not the article. The comments. Somehow my fellow citizens feel that they have a moral directive to chime in whenever they feel that their progressive lifestyle is somehow threatened.

Comments are NEVER representative of a population. They only represent the most vocal, and often the most radical, nastiest fringe of people reading that story at that time. That's it.

I would have to agree with some of the gun advocates who made comments. Openly carrying a handgun to prove a point is counterproductive to our cause. People in the Bay Area can't even wrap their heads around the concept of "legally, responsible firearm use and ownership". This and the other "investigative" piece they did about purchasing fully automatic firearms just across the NV boarder a few months back is killin' us.

I'm still on the fence on that one. Not very informed on the issue. The libertarian in me likes the fact that those people are affirming their Second and, in a way, First Amendment rights. The practical one in me sees potential bad PR. I hope those guys know some basic martial arts or self defense. I would hate some thugs to assault them and steal their guns. They'd look like total fools.

Quser.619
11-19-2009, 11:05 AM
God, grew up in the Bay Area, moved to San Diego 27 years ago & haven't looked back. Though I do miss the rain vs. real soil. But cannot tell you how much I don't regret it overall, especially driving by the harbor & seeing the USS Ronald Reagan...

WeekendWarrior
11-19-2009, 2:39 PM
WWRTW

Liberty1
11-19-2009, 2:50 PM
Thumbing up and down was fun. And you don't need to be logged on;)

WeekendWarrior
11-19-2009, 3:03 PM
WWRTW

Nose Nuggets
11-19-2009, 3:27 PM
over 1000 comments, wow.

MrEd
11-19-2009, 4:00 PM
Feinstein does not have a ccw , she has MUCH much better . As she was going to surrender her CCW she made a stop at the US Marshals office and was sworn in as Honorary Deputy US Marshal , with badge and all . She carries now under HR 218 .

KylaGWolf
11-19-2009, 9:42 PM
And now you can't buy a large screen TV in CA. as it uses to much electricity

I think that one is a bit of FUD.

gunsmith
11-19-2009, 10:13 PM
I think that one is a bit of FUD.

some new law, large screens need to use less energy or something.

I wouldn't bother to comment on SFGATE, if you come up with a really good
coherent argument for the peoples right to KBA it will be blocked.
sfgate hates free speech

thefurball
11-20-2009, 6:50 AM
They all just need to be educated.

Re-educated. I like that idea.

But now where do we put the 're-education' camps? Not sure San Quenton is big enough or if Gitmo will be available any time soon. (Just kidding, so please put down the flame thrower and step back.)

Unfortunately most of the folks that we need to "educate" on the topic will simply refuse to listen. Just like the bible thumpers that bang on your door at the most inconvenient times, these folks are absolutely certain they are right and no factual argument of any kind will sway them from that position.

rivviepop
11-20-2009, 8:51 AM
It's a running tongue-in-cheek jab at my office "if SHTF, find rivvie - he's armed". Like we all know, education is the best for people and I'm open about being an avid collector and shooter, my coworkers know me as a calm normal guy and I like to think I've helped. Some of them even went to the range this year and had a blast shooting their first gun.

If you can do it at your workplace (depends on the politics, getting fired, etc.) I encourage you to try. Turns out there's a lot more people in the gun-closet waiting to come out than I ever thought, including my next door neighbors.

Glock22Fan
11-20-2009, 9:39 AM
some new law, large screens need to use less energy or something.

I wouldn't bother to comment on SFGATE, if you come up with a really good
coherent argument for the peoples right to KBA it will be blocked.
sfgate hates free speech

I read somewhere that Sacramento was considering the large screen issue, so I don't think it is total fud.

On the SFGate comments, I think that you may be wrong here. There's a lot of pro gun comments, many of the ad-hominem "Gun owners are rabid fools with small richards" posts have been deleted (you gotta report the abuse)and, judging by the count of thumbs up to thumbs down, pro-gun posts are getting more support than anti-gun posts.

HUTCH 7.62
11-20-2009, 9:59 AM
Next we will be barcoded