PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Transfer

bulldozamendoza
11-18-2009, 10:44 PM
So currently I am 17 years old, and will be turning 18 on December 17.
My aunt from New Mexico wants to get me a shotgun and is coming down for Thanksgiving weekend.
Question is... how do we go about this?
I know you have to be 18 to own a long gun, and I'm almost there. I was wondering how she can somehow transfer it to me while she's here next weekend.
I rather not have her send it to me when I turn 18 because i heard the transfer costs for over state are usually over 100 bucks or something.
Any ideas?

Librarian
11-18-2009, 10:51 PM
Sadly, because she's from NM and apparently you are a CA resident, that would be an interstate transfer. The geographic location of the gun does not matter, only the states of residence of the parties.

That means the bigger FFL fees.

See the Calguns Wiki article on Interstate Transfer (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transferring_firearms_Interstate).

Mssr. Eleganté
11-18-2009, 11:01 PM
I know you have to be 18 to own a long gun, and I'm almost there.

You don't have to be 18 to own a long gun. You just have to be 18 to purchase a long gun. But you can receive a long gun as a gift from your parent or from your grandparent (with your parent's permission) when you are only 1 day old. There is no age limit on owning long guns. But even if your aunt gave the shotgun to one of your parents they'd have to pay the FFL transfer fees because of the interstate nature of the transfer, as mentioned above.

Is she trying to bring you a shotgun she already possesses or does she just want to buy one for you at a gunshop here in California.

bulldozamendoza
11-18-2009, 11:13 PM
You don't have to be 18 to own a long gun. You just have to be 18 to purchase a long gun. But you can receive a long gun as a gift from your parent or from your grandparent (with your parent's permission) when you are only 1 day old. There is no age limit on owning long guns. But even if your aunt gave the shotgun to one of your parents they'd have to pay the FFL transfer fees because of the interstate nature of the transfer, as mentioned above.

Is she trying to bring you a shotgun she already possesses or does she just want to buy one for you at a gunshop here in California.

im not exactly sure. but if it makes it easier to buy the gun at a shop in CA then i think she'll be up for it. So... by what you just said, my aunt can give my mom the money to buy the gun and she can transfer it to me right? and its still okay if im 17?

joelberg
11-18-2009, 11:14 PM
Yup. Will probably save you money on dealer fees also.

Mssr. Eleganté
11-18-2009, 11:33 PM
im not exactly sure. but if it makes it easier to buy the gun at a shop in CA then i think she'll be up for it. So... by what you just said, my aunt can give my mom the money to buy the gun and she can transfer it to me right? and its still okay if im 17?

It's perfectly legal for a mom to go into a gunshop and buy a shotgun as a gift for her 17 year old son. But if she tells the FFL that she is buying a shotgun for her 17 year old son, many FFL's will refuse to sell to her since they think it is a straw purchase. But BATFE says that buying a gun as a bona fide gift for somebody else is perfectly legal.

But if your mom takes money from your aunt to buy a shotgun that is a gift from your aunt to you, then that really might be considered a straw purchase. Your mom would really be buying the shotgun for your aunt, which would be illegal since your aunt can't legally acquire a shotgun in California.

If your mom doesn't have enough money to make ends meet, and your aunt gives your mom a gift of cash to help her out, and your mom decides to use the money to buy her 17 year old son a shotgun as a gift, then that would be a bona fide gift from your mom, and perfectly legal. But if the whole thing is done just as a sham to allow your aunt to buy you a shotgun, then it would be illegal.

bulldozamendoza
11-18-2009, 11:46 PM
hmm.. alright, thanks for you replies. i really appreciate it.

one more thing, no papers are required when giving the gun as a gift to me, correct? same with when i turn 18 as well?

Mssr. Eleganté
11-18-2009, 11:54 PM
one more thing, no papers are required when giving the gun as a gift to me, correct? same with when i turn 18 as well?

Long gun "gift" transfers from parents or grandparents to a minor do not require any paperwork. Long gun "family" transfers from grandparents, parents, children, grandchildren and spouses to an adult (18 or over) also do not require any paperwork.

Why don't you go to the gunshop with your aunt to pick out a shotgun while she is visiting. Then she can send you the cash for your 18th birthday next month and you can go DROS it yourself?

Amacias805
11-19-2009, 12:05 AM
hmm.. alright, thanks for you replies. i really appreciate it.

since im not sure which scenario your referring to, ill just wrap it up

if your aunt buys a shotgun in her home state and transfers it to one of your parents through an ffl. then upon legal transfer of the firearm your parents may gift you the gun without any dros (no paper work for the intra-familiar transfer (i think that's how you spell that)

if your mom buys a shotgun in her home state and then gifts it to you there is no paperwork....

if your aunt buys a shotgun in her home state, and then gifts it to you, a dros is required to be performed at a California ffl...

hope that clears things up for you....

ps others have posted that you dont have to be 18 to own a long gun.....
which i've heard before, that would benefit you if your parents obtained the gun and then gifted to you, because even if it is perfectly legal, your not gonna find a dealer willing to do the transfer directly to you.

Amacias805
11-19-2009, 12:08 AM
Why don't you go to the gunshop with your aunt to pick out a shotgun while she is visiting. Then she can send you the cash for your 18th birthday next month and you can go DROS it yourself?

that sounds a too easy... what are you some sort of rocket scientist? :chris:

bulldozamendoza
12-08-2009, 8:51 PM
Thank you guys, i really appreciate the help and answers.
Although i've done my research, im still sort of a noob at this whole buying guns thing.
I've decided that i want to get a 870 Wingmaster in 12 Gauge.
I went to turners and found a B-E-A utiful wingmaster, no blemishes on outside or in. $400 bucks.
then went to the stockade and found an okay one... sorta dinged up for $450.
obviously i want the first one i found. sound like a good price?

RideIcon
12-08-2009, 10:40 PM
just get her to give you some cash and go down to big 5 and pick out a shotgun, without the transfer fees.. a new gun doesnt run much