PDA

View Full Version : Do Registered CA assault weapons need to be Re-Registered?

Cobrafreak
11-18-2009, 5:50 PM
My friend from work has an AK 47 that is registered with CA as an assault weapon. He has his paperwork. Does he have to do anything else to keep legal? He was in a gun store buying ammo and someone said to him that if he doesn't Re-Register it he will be in violation. He is not really up on the latest so he asked me to ask the forum about this. Is he good or is something pending or lurking in the future about this? Thanks.

leelaw
11-18-2009, 5:52 PM
There was no re-registration. If the rifle, shotgun or pistol was registered as an assault weapon, then it's all he needs to do.

If he has DROS or the 4473 confused as AW registration, then he's got a problem.

goober
11-18-2009, 5:52 PM
No. Once it's reg'ed that's it.

B Strong
11-18-2009, 5:55 PM
My friend from work has an AK 47 that is registered with CA as an assault weapon. He has his paperwork. Does he have to do anything else to keep legal? He was in a gun store buying ammo and someone said to him that if he doesn't Re-Register it he will be in violation. He is not really up on the latest so he asked me to ask the forum about this. Is he good or is something pending or lurking in the future about this? Thanks.

FUD.

No re-registration needed.

If he's transporting, it has to be in a locked case, and it wouldn't hurt to have a copy (not the original) of the reg papers - and yes, I know the reg would come through on a LEO check, but why not have a little insurance in hand in case the systems down.

savasyn
11-18-2009, 5:57 PM
If he has DROS or the 4473 confused as AW registration, then he's got a problem.

That!
Make sure his paperwork is from the DoJ for registering an AW and not just his DROS sheet. If it's just the latter, uh ooohhh.

Cobrafreak
11-18-2009, 6:03 PM
Yeah, it's from the DOJ. Some yokel just scared him by saying something that is untrue. Thanks for the quick response guys!

goober
11-18-2009, 6:04 PM
...Thanks for the quick response guys!

that's what we do :D

bwiese
11-18-2009, 6:20 PM
No re-registration needed.

More gunshop FUD from counter guys that were likely buying bubblegum during the reg windows.

Additionally, there's a specific provision in the law that AWs that are 50BMGs do not need to be registered as 50BMGs.