PDA

View Full Version : Alameda Republican Party doesn't support anti-AB962 efforts

Gryff
11-18-2009, 5:37 PM
This was just sent out to members of the Alameda County Republicans' Facebook page.

So nice that Republicans are standing up for each other on 2A issues.

How Your Elected Alameda County GOP Members' Voted

Walter Stanley November 18 at 2:39pm
On November 17, 2009, your Alameda County Republican Central Committee Members' considered a proposed resolution in opposition to an anti-gun ammo restriction bill (A.B.962) recently signed into law by our Republican Governor.

A.B. 962 passed through the California State legislature with no Republican support. Republican Assemblyman Curt Hagman, with support from the California NRA, as well as the California Rifle & Pistol Association, has agreed to amend his bill (A.B.373) with language that would repeal the anti-gun ammo restrictions law before it takes effect.

You might think that we, as Republicans in Alameda County would stand with our pro-gun Republicans' in the state legislature and unite in support of the 2nd Amendment by resisting any attempt to infringe upon our individual right to keep and bear arms, however, this simply was not the case.

Any resolution passed by the Alameda County Republican Central Committee needs 2/3rds approval by the voting Members' present to pass and be adopted as the official County Party position. The pro-gun resolution in opposition to A.B.962 and in support of A.B.373 FAILED!

Below is the proposed resolution and how your Elected Members' VOTED:

Proposed by Walter Stanley -

A.B. 962, which will take effect on February 1, 2011, mandates individuals purchasing ammunition to be fingerprinted and registered at the time of sale and requires retailers to maintain these records for at least five years and make them available for inspection by the California Department of Justice upon request. A.B. 962 requires all sales to be done face to face and outlaws Internet and mail order ammunition purchases throughout the State of California. As an additional burden, ammunition retailers are also required to store ammunition in locked containers away from purchasers, and become certified with the State of California.

Whereas, the Alameda County Republican Party is opposed to laws that infringe upon the right to keep and bear arms as set forth in the 2nd Amendment of the United States Constitution; and

Whereas, we reject the notion that A.B. 962 will serve to improve public safety; and

Therefore, BE IT RESOLVED that we as Members' of the Alameda County Republican Party respectfully, but strongly urge the support for A.B. 373 and the repeal of A.B. 962.

"NO" VOTES BY ASSEMBLY DISTRICT:

14th AD: Mary Lou Weggenmann, Ryan Hatcher

16th AD: Paul Cummings, Dick Spees, Anne Woodell, Christine Anderson, Frank Cherry, Rosann Slonsky-Breault

20th AD: Karen Wind

Ex-Officio: David Harmer's Alternate - Diane Hefner, Claudia Bermudez's Alternate/Husband - Brion Wikes

The resolution in opposition to A.B.962 and in support of A.B.373 failed 23-yays/11-nays.

G17GUY
11-18-2009, 5:40 PM
I'm sure they will be voting for meg whitman. :krkplk:

Shotgun Man
11-18-2009, 5:49 PM
That's crazy.

This Central Steering Committee consists of devoted party members, not politicians per se, right?

Is this resolution being considered in other counties? Results?

GrizzlyGuy
11-18-2009, 5:58 PM
This reminds me of something that Judge Napolitano said (http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2009/11/06/judge-andrew-napolitano-health-care-freedom-congress/):

We do not have two political parties in this country, America. We have one party; called the Big Government Party. The Republican wing likes deficits, war, and assaults on civil liberties. The Democratic wing likes wealth transfer, taxes, and assaults on commercial liberties. Both parties like power; and neither is interested in your freedoms.

Think about it. Government is the negation of freedom. Freedom is your power and ability to follow your own free will and your own conscience. The government wants you to follow the will of some faceless bureaucrat.

When the gun-nuts, pot-smokers, gays and other disenfranchised groups are all hangin' together and not voting for either party, then we'll get somewhere. :D

aileron
11-18-2009, 6:08 PM
This reminds me of something that Judge Napolitano said (http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2009/11/06/judge-andrew-napolitano-health-care-freedom-congress/):

When the gun-nuts, pot-smokers, gays and other disenfranchised groups are all hangin' together and not voting for either party, then we'll get somewhere. :D

I hope you mean we will be voting for another party by that statement. If no one votes they will truly win.

GrizzlyGuy
11-18-2009, 6:20 PM
I hope you mean we will be voting for another party by that statement. If no one votes they will truly win.

Yes, that's what I mean. I like this party's position on gun rights (http://www.lp.org/issues/gun-laws). Crystal-clear and no wiggle room for sell outs like the Alameda Repugs (er, Repubs).

bwiese
11-18-2009, 6:21 PM
Bbbbbbbut... California Republican Party is pro-gun! They keep telling us that!

bodger
11-18-2009, 7:57 PM

What if you're a gay, pot-smoking, disenfranchised gun nut? Do you get to vote four times? :D

GrizzlyGuy
11-18-2009, 8:03 PM
What if you're a gay, pot-smoking, disenfranchised gun nut? Do you get to vote four times? :D

ROFL! If that was true, I'd try pot for the first time, while having my first same-sex encounter, while open carrying, with my NRA membership card glued to my forehead. Anything to save the republic, right? :D

bodger
11-18-2009, 8:36 PM
ROFL! If that was true, I'd try pot for the first time, while having my first same-sex encounter, while open carrying, with my NRA membership card glued to my forehead. Anything to save the republic, right? :D

LOL!

Absolutely, take one for the team.

Maybe that's a good description of the politician we should hope runs for governor next time around.

At least we'd get a gunny mixed in with all that other stuff. Couldn't be worse that Ahnold. :D

RUM
11-18-2009, 10:08 PM
Isn't 23yays/11nays more than 2/3rds majority in favor of passing this resolution????

hoffmang
11-18-2009, 10:11 PM
Where are all the "Republicans are the only party for gun rigths!" Calgunners?

:gene:

I love my emoticon... So useful.

-Gene

wildhawker
11-18-2009, 10:40 PM

-Gene

I think they've all been smacked with Kes's banstick :D. Maybe we can let Gator back in just this once?

7x57
11-18-2009, 10:59 PM

Republicans are the only party for gun...wait...what are rigths again? Well, anyway, Republicans are the only ones who support gun rigths, and I dare you to prove differently. :tt2:

7x57

Hunt
11-18-2009, 11:24 PM
This was just sent out to members of the Alameda County Republicans' Facebook page.

So nice that Republicans are standing up for each other on 2A issues.

republican or democrat same dictator different brand screw them I joined the Free State Project

marshaul
11-18-2009, 11:55 PM

Yup.

RUM
11-19-2009, 7:17 AM
Did anyone even read the letter that this post is about?? It says it did not get 2/3 majority and therefore failed. The vote talley at the bottom says 23 yes, 11 no. Is that not more than 2/3 where it should pass??

Sgt Raven
11-19-2009, 7:24 AM

-Gene
The end of this song says it all. :p

We'll be fighting in the streets
With our children at our feet
And the morals that they worship will be gone
And the men who spurred us on
Sit in judgment of all wrong
They decide and the shotgun sings the song

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around me
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again

The change, it had to come
We knew it all along
We were liberated from the foe, that' all
And the world looks just the same
And history ain't changed
'Cause the banners, they all flown in the last war

Just like yesterday
No, no!

I'll move myself and my family aside
If we happen to be left half alive
I'll get all my papers and smile at the sky
For I know that the hypnotized never lie

Do ya?

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

There's nothing in the street
Looks any different to me
And the slogans are replaced, by-the-bye
And the parting on the left
Is now the parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

Just like yesterday
Don't get fooled again
No, no!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss

Doug L
11-19-2009, 7:33 AM
How Your Elected Alameda County GOP Members' Voted

needs 2/3rds approval by the voting Members' present to pass

The pro-gun resolution...FAILED!

23-yays/11-nays

Huh??? What am I missing???

According to my math---admittedly not the New Math---23 yeas out of 34 total voting is 67.6%; i.e., greater than the 2/3rds needed to pass.

BroncoBob
11-19-2009, 7:52 AM
Crap I get so depressed over all this shzt.

livermoron
11-27-2009, 3:09 AM
Hi All, I was in the audience as a guest and listened intently to the discussion on this resolution. As a guest I could present NO input to the discussion (party policy). Unfortunately, I had to sit there and listen to many members make comments that made me wonder if I was sitting in the correct, or RIGHT, meeting? A CalGuns, NRA, or other qualified Pro Gun group needs to make a intelligent presentation to this body, and fast. I have been a registered GOP voter since 1992 and I thought we were the pro-constitution party? This experience was painful at times and opened my eyes to the fact that there is a great rift in the GOP. This is a national as well as grass-roots rift. I actually heard one of the members say, "...there is a real gun problem in this country". Listening as the question was called it became clear to me that enough votes to pass the resolution would not materialize... How can this happen? Come on ALCO GOP - Let's get it together, huh? :confused: