PDA

View Full Version : Maersk Alabama

LarryC
11-18-2009, 11:56 AM
When I talk with people about self defense they often look at me like I'm some kind of nut. A news story like this helps to illustrate to the average non-gun owner the point that armed self defense works (without any killing).

I like this example because many people say, "The navy can't be everywhere to protect these ships. The merchant ships should arm themselves." Exactly. The police can't be everywhere to protect me, so I should be armed and I'll protect myself.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091118/ap_on_re_af/piracy

M1A Rifleman
11-18-2009, 12:33 PM
I heard about this attack this morning. I would like to see a picture of the pirates when security started returning fire. They must of looked like a deer caught in the headlights. :43:

Anyone have the link to the Russian pirate hunting crusie, I need a vacation. :D

Untamed1972
11-18-2009, 1:05 PM
Funny how taking some return fire is such a quick and easy solution to ending the intent of the bad guys to do bad things.

A few rounds of ammo and pay for a few security guys sure seems alot cheaper then repeatedly paying ransoms and possibly death benefits to the families of crew members who get murdered.

tiki
11-18-2009, 1:13 PM
Exactly. We had this discussion at lunch today. I was saying how stupid people sound when they say that crews shouldn't be armed and that it should be up to the navys and the countries to protect the ships. Well, we see how that worked out. 1 ship with armed guards, no hijaking. 2 ships no guards, 1 with a dead captain, the other paid 3.3 million ransom. Hmmm. Which ship would you be on?
What I hope to see is that word gets around that the U.S. ships are armed and nobody tries to hijack them anymore. THAT would be classic.

thempopresense
11-18-2009, 1:19 PM
They should have some good 50 cal shooters on board, not for the pirates, but for the motors in the pirate boats! Then the big ship keeps on going while the people on the little boat lean over the side and paddle with their arms to get home.

Ask yourself, would you rather get shot and bleed out, or float for days dehydrated and hungry?

aileron
11-18-2009, 1:23 PM
"This is a great example of how merchant mariners can take proactive action to prevent being attacked and why we recommend that ships follow industry best practices if they're in high-risk areas," Gortney said in a statement.

Wow, whole lot of fluff just to say "returning fire." Politically correct is ruining us.

I've been waiting for this to become obvious to higher ups.

Wonder how much longer before France finally does it? Maybe we should get a hat going around and everybody pick a date and throw in 10 bucks. :p

nick
11-18-2009, 2:26 PM
The pirates tried to board, were under fire, and there were no casualties? I wonder what the definition of "trying to board" is? Is it "to try and get up the ladder" or is it "to get within 300 yds of the ship to be boarded"?

7x57
11-18-2009, 3:03 PM
"This is a great example of how merchant mariners can take proactive action to prevent being attacked and why we recommend that ships follow industry best practices if they're in high-risk areas," Gortney said in a statement.

Wow, whole lot of fluff just to say "returning fire." Politically correct is ruining us.

I'm taking notes. After all, if someone is breaking into my house at night and comes up the stairs toward the bedrooms I intend to follow industry best practice and take proactive action.

I think just saying it that way makes you less of a man. :rolleyes:

7x57

BananaTyrant
11-18-2009, 3:17 PM
They should have some good 50 cal shooters on board, not for the pirates, but for the motors in the pirate boats! Then the big ship keeps on going while the people on the little boat lean over the side and paddle with their arms to get home.

Ask yourself, would you rather get shot and bleed out, or float for days dehydrated and hungry?

I thought about that when I heard about their first attack. No need for more than one even. Just some look-outs and then wake the guy up. Put a quarter to silver dollar hole in the bottom of their boat and you won't have any more problems from them, and neither will anyone else.

Then you could always get one of these;

http://www.vincelewis.net/20mm.html

Wouldn't even need to hit them, the shockwave of it passing near by would probably kill them.

grunz
11-18-2009, 3:21 PM
But but but! GUNS ARE THE PROBLEM!

yelohamr
11-18-2009, 3:27 PM
I won't even go a cruise now, unless they can guarantee pirates to shoot at, as entertainment.

tiki
11-18-2009, 3:28 PM
I'm taking notes. After all, if someone is breaking into my house at night and comes up the stairs toward the bedrooms I intend to follow industry best practice and take proactive action.

I think just saying it that way makes you less of a man. :rolleyes:

7x57

Ha ha ha. Light him up does have a nicer ring to it.
I always liked "incapacitate"

bodger
11-18-2009, 5:06 PM
Ha ha ha. Light him up does have a nicer ring to it.
I always liked "incapacitate"

I suppose "Bust A Cap" would be too much to hope for. But it sure has a ring to it.

Incapacitate my a**! :D

NRAhighpowershooter
11-18-2009, 6:13 PM
duped

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=242015