PDA

View Full Version : 501 (c) 3 Reporting requirements

jdberger
11-18-2009, 10:07 AM
Just curious, what are the reporting requirements for a 501(c)3 non-profit?

I noticed that tons of the anti-gun groups are organized as such. I'd be interested in poking through their files. :D

Midian
11-18-2009, 10:55 AM
You're the government's Biatch if you have that tax exempt status

nicki
11-18-2009, 12:24 PM
The Million Commie Mommies was operating out of the upper floors of San Francisco General under different names for years until one day Jim March decided to do some PRA work and question the relationship.

He figured that over the years they got office space that would have cost them 6 to 7 million dollars had they had to pay "fair market value". Needless to say, they lost their offices.

We do have these regional anti rights groups all over the country, but especially in urban areas.

The problem is we just don't have the trained bodies that know how and where to look for the bodies so to speak.

This is a big project that would require many foot soldiers to do the digging.

It is something that could be done if we could develop core people who knew what to look for and could travel around the state and mentor others so that we would have local people who could do the work.

Of course this will uncover political corruption because these groups wouldn't be able to do what they do without it.

The reality is most of us on this board have things like jobs, businesses and are raising families, so most of us are jammed up with our time and our money.

Attacking these 503 c non profits would allow us to gut the anti freedom groups on the local level, the problem is building the people to do it.

These 503 c non profits may be small, but they have people working full time to strip our rights. They are funded by large non profit foundations who have a statist agenda.

Ultimately we are going to have to take out the foundations, but that will take significant effort.

Nicki

ke6guj
11-18-2009, 12:39 PM
Just curious, what are the reporting requirements for a 501(c)3 non-profit?

I noticed that tons of the anti-gun groups are organized as such. I'd be interested in poking through their files. :D

You may want to PM 1JimMarch on that. He went after one of the anti-gun groups playing fast and loose with 501(c)3 status and got them kicked out of their donated office space, IIRC.

edit: nicki covered it. I should have refreshed before I posted.

CAL.BAR
11-18-2009, 1:09 PM
You're the government's Biatch if you have that tax exempt status

Yeah right, ask the church (any of them) when was the last time the Feds audited them.

hoffmang
11-18-2009, 9:34 PM
IRS 990's must be available either online or on request. CGF is on request because we completed our 990's two days ago. We'll probably be posting them shortly but wanted to make a formal decision first.

That will give you lots of info on funding and expenditures and they're required by law to give it to you.

-Gene

jdberger
11-23-2009, 10:16 AM
Anyone interested in creating a form letter that can be sent out to all the Joyce affiliated organizations?

The letter would have the appropriate code citations, etc.

Librarian
11-23-2009, 10:29 AM
Anyone interested in creating a form letter that can be sent out to all the Joyce affiliated organizations?

The letter would have the appropriate code citations, etc.

Probably want to start at http://www.irs.gov/charities/content/0,,id=125361,00.html for info.

Then, there's their very own web site, www.joycefdn.org, and on their grant list page (http://www.joycefdn.org/GrantList/AllGrants.aspx) you can search for those in the 'Gun Violence' category - which returns 72 grants, some to the same grantees in different years.

jdberger
11-23-2009, 10:47 AM
Well. Finding the info was easier than I thought.

Here are some 2007 stats on LCAV.

Direct Public Support: $1,214,716

Total Revenue: $1,387,491

Compensation:

Robyn Thomas - Exec Director $93,025
Ellen French - Accountant $61,725
Nina Vinik - Staff Atty $89,489
Sam Hoover - Staff Attorney $58,282
Sheila Brenner - Dev Director $57,375

Officers, Directors, Trustees, etc.

FREDERICK BROWN, ESQ.
CAROL KINGSLEY, ESQ.
RODERICK M. THOMPSON, ESQ.
DAVID J. KAPNICK, CPA
RICHARD ODGERS, ESQ.
DAVID PASTERNAK, ESQ.
DOUGLAS BOXER, ESQ.
ALEXIS COLL-VERY, ESQ.
JERRY COUGHLAN, ESQ.
MEGIN SCULLY, M.D.
BARRY SHANLEY, ESQ.
JOHN SKONBERG, ESQ.
KAREN FRANK, ESQ.
DAVID H. FRY, ESQ.
ALISON TUCHER, ESQ.
GEORGE HISERT, ESQ.
DONALD JOSEPH, ESQ.
STEVE BARON, ESQ.
ROBERT D. SANDERSON, PHD
RANDAL SHORT, ESQ.
ELIZABETH CABRASER, ESQ.
OWEN CLEMENTS, ESQ.
STEVEN L. SMITH, ESQ.
WILLIAM EDLUND, ESQ.
WILLIAM D. KISSINGER, ESQ.
JAMES FOUSEKIS, ESQ.
DIANE GIBSON, ESQ.
JOHN HEISSE, II, ESQ.
JACK LEUTWYLER, PHD
ROBYN THOMAS, ESQ.
DAVID LIPKIN, ESQ.
GUY ROUNSAVILLE, ESQ.

Librarian
11-23-2009, 10:53 AM

... and $700,000 came from Joyce:

12/6/2007
Legal Community Against Violence
San Francisco, CA

Amount: $300,000.00
Length: 1 yr.
URL: www.lcav.org
To implement a statewide policy reform campaign.

4/11/2007
Legal Community Against Violence
San Francisco, CA

Amount: $400,000.00
Length: 2 yrs.
URL: www.lcav.org
For general operating support.

jdberger
11-23-2009, 11:20 AM
This is kinda fun.

Freedom States Alliance (which is a kinda umbrella organization) for 2007

Direct Public Support: $182,005

Total Revenue: $174,593

Grants:

ILLINOIS COUNCIL AGAINST HANDGUN VIOLENC $6,026

HOOSIERS CONCERNED ABOUT GUN VIOLENCE $5,736

IOWANS FOR THE PREVENTION OF GUN VIOLENC $3,743

CITIZENS FOR A SAFER MINN EDUCATIONAL FD $5,986

CEASEFIRE NEW JERSEY $8,335

NEW YORKERS AGAINST GUN VIOLENCE $5,225

OHIO COALITION AGAINST GUN VIOLENCE $5,949

WAVE EDUCATIONAL FUND $5,269

VIOLENCE PREVENTION EDUC
ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRIES COUNCIL $4,141

Compensation:

SALLY SLOVENSKI - Exec Director $61,000
SCOTT VOGEL - DIR OF COMMUNIC $56,250

KATHLEEN MONAHAN

ROBERT WILLIAMSON

ANGUS MCQUILKEN

REBECCA THOMAN

SALLY SLOVENSKI

CHERYL JACQUES

MARY MCFATE (oh geez! I just about pee'd my pants!)

SCOTT VOGEL

Mitch
11-23-2009, 11:26 AM

Compensation:

SALLY SLOVENSKI - Exec Director $61,000
SCOTT VOGEL - DIR OF COMMUNIC $56,250

So more than half their revenues goes to pay the salaries of the two employees?

Librarian
11-23-2009, 11:30 AM
This is kinda fun.

MARY MCFATE (oh geez! I just about pee'd my pants!)

... of which 150,000 came from Joyce.

Freedom States Alliance
Chicago, IL

Amount: $150,000.00
Length: 1 yr.
URL: www.freedomstatesalliance.com
To: (1) continue to strengthen and develop its fund-raising infrastructure to support state-based gun violence prevention groups; (2) expand the network of individual grassroots supporters for the state groups; and (3) continue its communications and media outreach efforts.

Had to look up Mary McFate (http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2008/07/theres-something-about-mary-unmasking-gun-lobby-mole) - I had forgotten about her.

[ Post 5,000! ]

darkwater
11-23-2009, 7:45 PM

Compensation:

Robyn Thomas - Exec Director $93,025
Ellen French - Accountant $61,725
Nina Vinik - Staff Atty $89,489
Sam Hoover - Staff Attorney $58,282
Sheila Brenner - Dev Director $57,375

FREDERICK BROWN, ESQ.
CAROL KINGSLEY, ESQ.
RODERICK M. THOMPSON, ESQ.
DAVID J. KAPNICK, CPA
RICHARD ODGERS, ESQ.
DAVID PASTERNAK, ESQ.
DOUGLAS BOXER, ESQ.
ALEXIS COLL-VERY, ESQ.
JERRY COUGHLAN, ESQ.
MEGIN SCULLY, M.D.
BARRY SHANLEY, ESQ.
JOHN SKONBERG, ESQ.
KAREN FRANK, ESQ.
DAVID H. FRY, ESQ.
ALISON TUCHER, ESQ.
GEORGE HISERT, ESQ.
DONALD JOSEPH, ESQ.
STEVE BARON, ESQ.
ROBERT D. SANDERSON, PHD
RANDAL SHORT, ESQ.
ELIZABETH CABRASER, ESQ.
OWEN CLEMENTS, ESQ.
STEVEN L. SMITH, ESQ.
WILLIAM EDLUND, ESQ.
WILLIAM D. KISSINGER, ESQ.
JAMES FOUSEKIS, ESQ.
DIANE GIBSON, ESQ.
JOHN HEISSE, II, ESQ.
JACK LEUTWYLER, PHD
ROBYN THOMAS, ESQ.
DAVID LIPKIN, ESQ.
GUY ROUNSAVILLE, ESQ.

Dang, that's a lot of attorneys on the board...makes you wonder if they are just helping produce bad law so they can be paid big bucks to fight for or against them in court. Attorneys really shouldn't be getting political like that, but then again, these could all be attorneys working in the private rather than public sector.

Telperion
11-23-2009, 7:51 PM
Dang, that's a lot of attorneys on the board...makes you wonder if they are just helping produce bad law so they can be paid big bucks to fight for or against them in court. Attorneys really shouldn't be getting political like that, but then again, these could all be attorneys working in the private rather than public sector.
Why can't attorneys be political? I believe almost all of LCAVers are private lawyers - their org formed after the 101 California shooting, where some law firms were the target of the shooter.

jdberger
11-23-2009, 8:49 PM

Almost all the attorneys at LCAV donate their time. If they do work for LCAV (which is almost always pro bono), they don't do work that conflicts with the previous work. That's just how big law firms operate.

Colt
11-24-2009, 6:56 AM
IRS 990's must be available either online or on request. CGF is on request because we completed our 990's two days ago. We'll probably be posting them shortly but wanted to make a formal decision first.

That will give you lots of info on funding and expenditures and they're required by law to give it to you.

-Gene

What he said, plus in California, they must also file with the AG.

darkwater
11-24-2009, 8:17 PM
Why can't attorneys be political? I believe almost all of LCAVers are private lawyers - their org formed after the 101 California shooting, where some law firms were the target of the shooter.

I was concerned about the potential conflicts of interest, which jdberger discussed. I am not aware of how attorneys are regulated for conflict of interest. Are they regulated by a board of their peers and/or governmental agency, are they self-regulated, do they take an oath of sorts? I dunno...honestly!

Mitch
11-25-2009, 6:22 AM
I was concerned about the potential conflicts of interest, which jdberger discussed. I am not aware of how attorneys are regulated for conflict of interest. Are they regulated by a board of their peers and/or governmental agency, are they self-regulated, do they take an oath of sorts? I dunno...honestly!

How would attorneys have conflicts of interest if they aren't public servants? A private citizen is free to do whatever he wants.

oaklander
11-25-2009, 6:34 AM
This topic looks ripe for a GRAPH!

:D

elrcastor
11-25-2009, 8:13 AM
This topic looks ripe for a GRAPH!

:D

:thumbsup::thumbsup:, bring on the graph

jdberger
11-25-2009, 8:58 AM

They self regulate (most large firms have a pretty substantial Conflicts department) - and if they're caught violating they can be disbarred.

Here's a pretty typical conflict of interest statement:

ETHICAL WALL MEMO CONCERNING LIENHOLDERS OF xxx, INC. AND yyy, INC.

[redacted name of law firm] personnel, including Elmer Fudd, Bugs Bunny, Marvin the Martian, Daffy Duck, Sylvester and Tweety (the “XXX Restructuring Team”), represent a group of lenders in a workout and restructuring matter adverse to XXX, Inc. (“XXX”) (the “XXX Restructuring Matter”) (Matter Nos. 12345 and 54321).

Other firm personnel, including Yobi Bear, BooBoo, Mr. Ranger, Rocky and Bullwinkle (the “YYY Team”), represent YYY, Inc. (“YYY”) in an unrelated Financial Industry Regulatory Authority arbitration matter adverse to XXX (the “YYY Matter”) (Matter No. 98765).

IN AN ABUNDANCE OF CAUTION AND TO AVOID EVEN THE APPEARANCE OF IMPROPRIETY, THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES HAVE BEEN IMPLEMENTED:

No person on the XXX Restructuring Team shall work on the YYY Matter.
2. No member of the YYY Team shall work on the XXX Restructuring Matter.

3. No person on the XXX Restructuring Team shall discuss confidential information concerning the XXX Restructuring Matter with any member of the YYYY Team.

4. No member of the YYY Team shall discuss confidential information concerning the YYY Matter with any person on the XXX Restructuring Team.

5. No person on the XXX Restructuring team shall access any client file or any document or information in our computer database concerning the YYY Matter.

6. No member of the YYY Team shall access any client file or any document or information in our computer database concerning the XXX Restructuring Matter.

These procedures will remain in effect until further notice. Anyone who knowingly violates these procedures will be subject to disciplinary action, which may include termination. Any person with questions regarding these procedures should contact Chuck Jones or their respective area Chair

darkwater
11-25-2009, 8:14 PM
How would attorneys have conflicts of interest if they aren't public servants? A private citizen is free to do whatever he wants.

See jdberger's excellent post above...conflicts of interest can happen when representing clients in private practice.