PDA

View Full Version : firefighters packin heat?

imported_wallysparx
05-25-2005, 10:55 PM
so i was out in the city of hemet for my job earlier, consulting with the fire department in regards to their fire access for a neighborhood we're constructing. to my surprise, the captain came in, packin what appeared to be a 92fs and a couple loaded mags in his belt. of course it didn't bother me at all, but it was certainly a surprise. has it really gotten bad enough in some places that firemen need to protect themselves? for whatever reason it didn't occur to me to ask him about it. i can understand why people can dislike cops. but firemen, they rescue people and put fires out! what can anyone possibly have against that?

anyone else notice this phenomenon in their neck of the woods?

Josh
05-26-2005, 2:20 AM
e can dislike cops. but firemen, they rescue people and put fires out! what can anyone possibly have against that?

Arson investigaters are allowed to carry.

imported_kantstudien
05-26-2005, 6:21 AM
Yep, you do not want an arsonist to come back to the scene while you are there investigating unless you are packing heat! http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

jmlivingston
05-26-2005, 6:40 AM
Arson investigaters are allowed to carry.

More than that, in many areas Fire Marshalls are LEO's. When I was a kid growing up in Wyoming my dad was an FM for both the city and the county where we lived. He made several high profile Arson arrests and frequently assisted the local PD and SO when they needed assistance.

John

Turbinator
05-26-2005, 11:06 AM
Hey man, I encourage the good guys to pack http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif But from what I've read so far, it isn't very practical for a firefighter to carry an item with him or her - imagine all of the gear layers, plus accessibility would be an issue. Not just that, but if you were a paramedic and were carrying, you'd be in close proximity to various victims throughout your day - some of which may be suspects in a crime, and they may try to wrestle your item away from you if you had it in a belt holster, etc.

Apparently, most EMT and firefighters will tell you that they actually earn respect and good karma from the bad guys by simply being unarmed at a given situation.

Turby

50 Freak
05-26-2005, 3:43 PM
I know during the LA riots, people thought it was fun to shoot at the firemen. My buddy who was one said he was in fear of his life many times as they had found bullet holes in their fire trucks after they came back from a various jobs.

He did say a couple of guys carried firearms in the truck in case they got cornered. They didn't want to be a Dennis Rodney (the white trucker that got his A kicked by a mob).

johnny_22
05-26-2005, 4:18 PM
I remember the name Reginal Denning from the Rodney King riot.

Ford8N
05-26-2005, 8:16 PM
A friend of the family was a fireman during the Watts riots. They shot at them as they tried to save their neighborhoods. He said you develope very little pity for people in the 'hood that try and kill the people that are there to help. It is a lesson to be learned and remembered.

50 Freak
05-26-2005, 8:41 PM
Oppps, I meant Reginald Denning. Don't know where I got Dennis Rodney....

Getting Senile http://www.calguns.net/cowboy.gif

spendbabyspend
05-26-2005, 9:38 PM
I think you were thinking of Dennis Rodman... Ha.

Mark in Eureka
05-26-2005, 9:43 PM
Back in the late sixty's or early 70's the penal code was changed to allow fire fighters to carry. Later it was removed as not being needed anymore.

jmlivingston
05-26-2005, 11:08 PM
I don't know how they're structured nowadays, but at one time Sunnyvale Department of Public Safety rotated their Public Safety officers between the fire and police divisions.

I've heard they do the same thing at LAX with the airport police; they get rotated into fire duty so many days a week or some such thing.

MAVERICK
06-12-2005, 7:53 PM
Riverside county contracts it firefighting force with the state of Kal {CDF}. The captain you saw was a prevention officer with full LEO autorities. They do not pack open carry why on a fire engine.. Only while in there pick-ups. Also most of the battlion chiefs are also peace officers. No firfighters or medics carry while on an engine only, cpatains and above can be peace officers.

tango 5
06-13-2005, 12:00 AM
Some thugs/theives/*******s etc... see a man in a uniform and a badge automaticly think cops. I would pack a side arm if i could, and was a firefighter.

06-13-2005, 1:43 PM
Originally posted by MAVERICK:
Riverside county contracts it firefighting force with the state of Kal {CDF}. The captain you saw was a prevention officer with full LEO autorities. They do not pack open carry why on a fire engine.. Only while in there pick-ups. Also most of the battlion chiefs are also peace officers. No firfighters or medics carry while on an engine only, cpatains and above can be peace officers.

Interesting.
One of my brother-in-laws is a battalion chief for CDF. I'll have to ask him if he can "pack" on duty. I'm sure that's there's more to it than meets the eye.

MAVERICK
06-13-2005, 3:25 PM
yes he must attend CDF's post. I know what I'm talking about. I'm a Engineer with cdf

MAVERICK
06-13-2005, 3:27 PM
And I did say most battalion chiefs

stator
06-13-2005, 3:34 PM
Arson investigators are typically LEO-empowered in order to make arrests. So, there are qualified personnel in the fire deparments that can pack.

I would be interested in know the percentage of LEO's versus non-LEO's in CA fire departments state-wide contrasted between now and pre-SB-23 which gave special rights by taking them away from most everyone.

I also like to see the "good guys" pack. The problem is that I'm one of them and so is most everyone here (hopefully all of Calguns members).

06-13-2005, 6:01 PM
yes he must attend CDF's post. I know what I'm talking about. I'm a Engineer with cdf

I wasn't doubting you, just thinking out loud.

Where do you work out of (which part of the state)?

06-13-2005, 6:03 PM
Originally posted by stator:

I also like to see the "good guys" pack. The problem is that I'm one of them and so is most everyone here (hopefully all of Calguns members).

True on that point for sure. You are preaching to the choir here, but your sermon is well-received.

MAVERICK
06-13-2005, 6:34 PM
riverside

06-13-2005, 8:34 PM
riverside

Check your PMs.