PDA

View Full Version : legality of guns on catalina island?

luckystrike
11-17-2009, 3:07 PM
does anyone know the legality of guns, handguns in particular on catalina and other surounding islands such a san nicolas off the coast? for residents and visitors?

I havent been able to find anything on this matter..
any info would be great

as always, thanks

M. D. Van Norman
11-17-2009, 3:35 PM
If you’re looking for legal permission, you’re probably not going to find it. How will the handguns be legally transported to the locations where you may legally possess them on Catalina or other islands?

Barbarossa
11-17-2009, 3:38 PM
i've hunted on Santa Rosa Island. (guided)

luckystrike
11-17-2009, 3:41 PM
If you’re looking for legal permission, you’re probably not going to find it. How will the handguns be legally transported to the locations where you may legally possess them on Catalina or other islands?

thats a good question too.

and where and what did you hunt Barbarosa?

ZUMNDAD
11-17-2009, 3:43 PM
Catalina falls under the jurisdiction of Los Angeles County. Need I say more?

Barbarossa
11-17-2009, 3:46 PM
thats a good question too.

and where and what did you hunt Barbarosa?

http://www.mumwildlife.com/mum/site/hunting_programs/santa_rosa_island.php
ROOSEVELT ELK AND KAIBAB MULE DEER

Catalina falls under the jurisdiction of Los Angeles County. Need I say more?

You sure it's not part of the channel island national park?

luckystrike
11-17-2009, 4:07 PM
http://www.mumwildlife.com/mum/site/hunting_programs/santa_rosa_island.php

You sure it's not part of the channel island national park?

thanks gentleman for your input, I will do some looking around and post what I find later

Alan Block
11-17-2009, 5:55 PM
of the Chanel Islands National Park so... no guns yet. I could be wrong.

boxbro
11-17-2009, 6:05 PM

ULCC ?????

luckystrike
11-17-2009, 6:05 PM

hmm Im still looking into it..no intel yet

The Director
11-17-2009, 8:02 PM

Catalina is LA county, has a 310 area code, and has an LA County Sheriff car parked outside the cop shop in Avalon.

The same rules apply on Catalina as on the mainland.

Cokebottle
11-17-2009, 8:42 PM
The Catalina Island Conservancy holds title to 88% of the land. The only "public" land is Avalon (and I believe that is a lease to LACO).
The isthmus/Cat Harbor, the shoreline at Emerald Bay, east of the isthmus through the Wrigley reserve to Ripper's Cove, and the east end from Avalon around to the quarry are property of the Santa Catalina Island Company, and a small parcel of land in the mountains above Ben Weston Point.

I don't know about currently, but prior to the early '80s, you had to have an "Island Pass" to be on the island in any areas not listed above. Temporary passes were included (not actually issued) with fare for the bus tours. I've found recent references to "bicycle permits"... so it may still be the case that wantering the island requires a pass.

San Nicholas? Like San Clemente, it is primarily property of the USN. There are areas offshore that are restricted (and some WWII vintage "pincushions" remain moored and abandoned).

As far as getting there with a gun... private boat. Especially these days, it would be dumb to be out there... and especially out as far as Clemente or Nicholas... without being armed with something more than a flare gun.

Cokebottle
11-17-2009, 8:47 PM
The Channel Islands National Park encompasses only Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, Anacapa, Santa Rosa, and San Miguel.
Santa Cruz is actually only 24% owned by the NPS, the rest is the conservancy.

As far as firearms offshore, I would think that would fall under "Temporary residence". I don't know how far offshore the authority of the NPS extends WRT 2A issues.

cannon
11-17-2009, 9:15 PM
Catalina is LA county, has a 310 area code, and has an LA County Sheriff car parked outside the cop shop in Avalon.

The same rules apply on Catalina as on the mainland.

And it has an L.A. County Courthouse.

The Director
11-17-2009, 9:53 PM
As far as firearms offshore, I would think that would fall under "Temporary residence". I don't know how far offshore the authority of the NPS extends WRT 2A issues.

A boat with a head and a galley counts as your home. Basically anything 20' and up and you're good.

Cokebottle
11-17-2009, 10:17 PM
A boat with a head and a galley counts as your home. Basically anything 20' and up and you're good.
Would it not also apply to a campsite inside of the NPS? I don't believe it does (or did prior to the current law), but I'm not sure.

cineski
11-17-2009, 10:17 PM
Can't remember the last time I heard of a 2 or 4 legged attack on the Island.

Cokebottle
11-17-2009, 10:24 PM
Can't remember the last time I heard of a 2 or 4 legged attack on the Island.
Only problems on the island are typically drunk in public issues.

Problems on the water? Not uncommon.

yellowfin
11-18-2009, 6:26 AM
Why in the heck would you let LA take over Catalina? That's like giving Hawaii to the Japanese in 1942.

The Director
11-18-2009, 8:01 AM
Would it not also apply to a campsite inside of the NPS? I don't believe it does (or did prior to the current law), but I'm not sure.

Somehow I don't think so but I could be wrong....

bodger
11-18-2009, 8:46 AM
Why in the heck would you let LA take over Catalina? That's like giving Hawaii to the Japanese in 1942.

I tried to stop them but they wouldn't listen. :D

Cokebottle
11-18-2009, 10:41 AM
Somehow I don't think so but I could be wrong....
Indeed it may be a different situation, as it may in fact be legal within a campsite, but illegal to transport within the park.
The boat is somewhat unique as it is a moving temporary residence.

Liberty1
11-18-2009, 11:13 AM
Indeed it may be a different situation, as it may in fact be legal within a campsite, but illegal to transport within the park.
The boat is somewhat unique as it is a moving temporary residence.

You are applying an obscure part of the CA PC to NPs. Don't do that until late Feb. of 2010.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457

luckystrike
11-18-2009, 6:17 PM
As far as getting there with a gun... private boat. Especially these days, it would be dumb to be out there... and especially out as far as Clemente or Nicholas... without being armed with something more than a flare gun.

Only problems on the island are typically drunk in public issues.

Problems on the water? Not uncommon.

So you would advise to bring something along???
if yes then for what reasons..anythin in particular?

and what kind of problems on the water??

Cokebottle
11-18-2009, 6:45 PM
Handgun, shotgun... typical HD stuff. My buddy and I typically have a .45 and a 9mm available, in addition to the flare gun. The flare gun and one of the handguns has been removed from it's container on two occasions over the last 15 years... never fired, and only the flaregun was openly displayed (but the motion of racking a 1911 held below the top edge of the bulkhead is pretty unmistakable).
I probably shouldn't have said "not uncommon", but the possibility is certainly higher than that of a carjacking, simply because the boating population is smaller.
Yes, it would be a "boatjacking" or robbery situation.

It's easy to "act drunk" and "allow" your boat to drift close to a boat on anchor. When you get close, "sober up" quickly and move into position to board.

The risk is of course greater further from shore or more remotely, such as San Clemente Island, San Nicholas, or Santa Barbara (though Santa Barbara is manned by a ranger).

The Director
11-18-2009, 7:24 PM

I've been boating for a very long time and have thousands of sea miles under my belt. I have a cruising sailboat and have been all over socal. I've never, ever been in any kind of danger at sea that required firearms....even 100 miles off shore.

That being said, whenever I go for anything besides a daysail, I always bring a pistol and a shotgun or sometimes a pistol and rifle. You never quite know what you could run into at sea. It could be a shark that caught the fishing line you were trolling. It could be any manner of foreigners since not many people realize that 3 miles offshore, you have left the territorial waters of California. Yes, you're out of state. Ten miles offshore, you are in international waters.

I've seen all kinds of foreign vessels even between here and Catalina. Between the socal coast and Catalina lie two shipping lanes, one inbound to San Pedro, and one outbound. Vessels from around the globe pass through here to the one of the largest and busiest ports in the country....Los Angeles!

Like I said...never had a problem, but there is no 911 at sea. Out there...your on your own, man.

yellowfin
11-18-2009, 7:42 PM
Two things about being on the water: any form of help that could get to you can only do so as fast their boat will go, and there's lots and lots of deep, deep hiding place for your body to go if someone wants what you've got. I always have a rifle and when not in NYS a sidearm as well. My dad always has/had a Garand and a .357 handy.

luckystrike
11-18-2009, 9:35 PM
I've been boating for a very long time and have thousands of sea miles under my belt. I have a cruising sailboat and have been all over socal. I've never, ever been in any kind of danger at sea that required firearms....even 100 miles off shore.

That being said, whenever I go for anything besides a daysail, I always bring a pistol and a shotgun or sometimes a pistol and rifle. You never quite know what you could run into at sea. It could be a shark that caught the fishing line you were trolling. It could be any manner of foreigners since not many people realize that 3 miles offshore, you have left the territorial waters of California. Yes, you're out of state. Ten miles offshore, you are in international waters.

I've seen all kinds of foreign vessels even between here and Catalina. Between the socal coast and Catalina lie two shipping lanes, one inbound to San Pedro, and one outbound. Vessels from around the globe pass through here to the one of the largest and busiest ports in the country....Los Angeles!

Like I said...never had a problem, but there is no 911 at sea. Out there...your on your own, man.

thanks for the info guys, never really thought about it like that.

what about the ferrys over there and back? do they insist on you to not transport firearms going there? cause ive herd its like going thru an airport checkpoint and they might have some sort of policy with their boats. as for transportation I have an aluminum case (maybe 12'X16') or should I justr have it inside the hard case that comes with it in a roller suitcase??
sorry for the noob questions.

and as always thanks for everything.

Cokebottle
11-18-2009, 9:58 PM
what about the ferrys over there and back? do they insist on you to not transport firearms going there? cause ive herd its like going thru an airport checkpoint and they might have some sort of policy with their boats.
They are actually more restrictive.
Divers had a problem with their knives when the new post-911 regulations went into effect. The Coast Guard basically duplicated the TSA regs but with a few more restrictions. I don't know if the knife issue was ever resolved. This not only applies to the ferries, but also to commercial dive and fishing boats.
AFAIK, they do not even allow firearms in your checked bags.

Cokebottle
11-18-2009, 11:03 PM
http://www.catalinaexpress.com/termsConditions.php#baggagePolicy

Articles And Materials Prohibited In Baggage
Acids, batteries, boxes (except those containing apparel or mechanic’s tools), camp stoves and lanterns (except electric or when propane or butane canisters are removed), charcoal, chinaware, human corpses, construction materials, cots, dangerous articles, explosives, firewood, fireworks, food stuffs, furniture, gambling devices, gasoline, glass or glassware, guns (loaded), household articles, inflammable materials, internal combustion engines of any kind, jewelry, kerosene, liquids, lumber, matches, merchandise, motorcycles, nails, outboard motors, perishable articles, paint, paint thinner, private papers or articles of extraordinary value, produce, televisions (except portable), tires, trail bikes, typewriters (except portable), and wire.
Looks like unloaded guns are okay in checked bags.

The Director
11-19-2009, 8:53 AM
http://www.catalinaexpress.com/termsConditions.php#baggagePolicy

Looks like unloaded guns are okay in checked bags.

Oh, Dude, I keep getting busted on the Human Corpses thing every time. Last time they found the torso I was bringing out to Catalina for "disposal".:D

Cokebottle
11-19-2009, 3:16 PM
Oh, Dude, I keep getting busted on the Human Corpses thing every time. Last time they found the torso I was bringing out to Catalina for "disposal".:D
LOL!

I guess that means that if I buy the farm back on Farnsworth, my buddy has to bring me back home on his own boat!

luckystrike
11-23-2009, 8:58 PM

HAHAHAH oh wow.
corpses.... anyways, after reading that, im thinking that its like an airport. because I know that you can bring firearms but they must be declaired at ticketing and have to be stored away from ammo and stoed underneath with baggage.

again thanks for your healp everyone.