PDA

View Full Version : Bush aide urges weapons ban

ipser
11-17-2009, 7:55 AM
The former head of U.S. Customs and Border Protection called Monday for the U.S. to reinstitute the ban on assault weapons and take other measures to rein in the war between Mexico and its drug cartels, saying the violence has the potential to bring down legitimate rule in that country.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/nov/17/weapons-ban-urged-to-rein-in-mexican-drug-war/

professorhard
11-17-2009, 7:58 AM
Sounds good. Let's restrict the rights of law abiding American citizens because Mexico can't solve it's own problems.

jinggoyd1967
11-17-2009, 8:02 AM
Not surprised. The Bush Admin did not do a thing for gun owners. Remember the Atty General's amicus brief siding with D.C. in the Heller case.

Dirtbiker
11-17-2009, 8:05 AM
IT'S MEXICO!

Why the **** do politicians in THIS country feel the need to restrict OUR rights because another country CAN'T manage their own problems!!!

ipser
11-17-2009, 8:09 AM
Not surprised. The Bush Admin did not do a thing for gun owners. Remember the Atty General's amicus brief siding with D.C. in the Heller case.

It helps to remind everyone from time to time that (R) != pro 2A.

gregorylucas
11-17-2009, 8:10 AM

Bush did sign the Lawful Commerce and Protection of Arms Act. I do agree with you however that his stance on "assault weapons" was chicken.

-Greg

Pvt. Cowboy
11-17-2009, 8:24 AM
The former head of U.S. Customs and Border Protection called Monday for the U.S. to reinstitute the ban on assault weapons and take other measures to rein in the war between Mexico and its drug cartels, saying the violence has the potential to bring down legitimate rule in that country.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/nov/17/weapons-ban-urged-to-rein-in-mexican-drug-war/

I'm always amazed at how the dopey US press continues to make the case that the narcotraffickers in Mexico aren't working for the Mexican government or even it's elected officials. Just amazes me.

They're about as separated as ACORN is from Obama.

FeuerFrei
11-17-2009, 8:25 AM
Bush aid...Band Aid...equally intelligent.

nrandell
11-17-2009, 8:42 AM

You're right, the Bush Administration didn't do "a" thing for gun owners. It did a hell of a lot more than any other administration I can think of. You can thank Bush for:

Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act.
Justices Roberts and Alito
Providing ZERO push for a renewal for the assault weapons ban.
Dick Cheney's brief for the Heller case.
Changing the regulations on carrying in a national park.

Flopper
11-17-2009, 8:51 AM
You're right, the Bush Administration didn't do "a" thing for gun owners. It did a hell of a lot more than any other administration I can think of. You can thank Bush for:

Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act.
Justices Roberts and Alito
Providing ZERO push for a renewal for the assault weapons ban.
Dick Cheney's brief for the Heller case.
Changing the regulations on carrying in a national park.

Oh man, and just when the democrat-apologists were starting to get on a roll :rolleyes:

CAL.BAR
11-17-2009, 9:09 AM

The Bush administration didn't do much for ANYBODY (unless you're an oil company, energy company or Haliburton)

tiki
11-17-2009, 9:16 AM
Funny. They keep talking about the automatic weapons that flow to Mexico from the U.S. for use by drug dealers and traffickers that fight over territory and drug routes into the U.S.
If we stopped the flow of drugs into the U.S. then there really wouldn't be anything for them to fight over down there, would there? You can't really have a drug smuggling route without drug smuggling, can you?
Why not stop drug smuggling from Mexico by banning guns in the U.S.?
What next? Stop the flow of illegal workers in this country by making wheel barrows illegal?

Maestro Pistolero
11-17-2009, 10:05 AM
So let me get this straight, A domestic Muslim terrorist and an egregiously corrupt third world country's out-of-control drug cartels should be the cause for a diminishing of civil rights for Americans. Ok, where do I turn in my guns?

7x57
11-17-2009, 10:05 AM
The Bush administration didn't do much for ANYBODY (unless you're an oil company, energy company or Haliburton)

They got you Heller, by nominating two of the justices that voted for the law instead of lawless tyranny. I guess that's not much for you.

If JB's amicus brief makes him worth gun-owners voting for, then you should be lighting a candle every day in thanks for the Bush administration.

I should point out that I was never enthusiastic about Bush at the best of times, and it was mostly lukewarm or neutral on the 2A as Bush was a neocon, not a Constitutionalist. It doesn't matter--those nominations are the most important thing any president ever did for the RKBA since future president Washington threw out the gun-confiscating British (at least in modern times, but nothing else comes to mind).

But none of that will matter, because the Democrat-apologists (hat tip to the poster who coined that) aren't interested in reality, just finding a way to push their agenda. They want Republicans to cross over to vote for JB because of guns, but they'd never cross over in the other direction themselves.

7x57

7x57
11-17-2009, 10:06 AM
So let me get this straight, A domestic Muslim terrorist and an egregiously corrupt third world country's out-of-control drug cartels should be the cause for a diminishing of civil rights for Americans. Ok, where do I turn in my guns?

It's too complicated to explain. You'd better let me do it for you--tell me when you can drop them off and I'll PM you the address. :D

7x57

Sgt Raven
11-17-2009, 11:14 AM
They got you Heller, by nominating two of the justices that voted for the law instead of lawless tyranny. I guess that's not much for you.

If JB's amicus brief makes him worth gun-owners voting for, then you should be lighting a candle every day in thanks for the Bush administration.

I should point out that I was never enthusiastic about Bush at the best of times, and it was mostly lukewarm or neutral on the 2A as Bush was a neocon, not a Constitutionalist. It doesn't matter--those nominations are the most important thing any president ever did for the RKBA since future president Washington threw out the gun-confiscating British (at least in modern times, but nothing else comes to mind).

But none of that will matter, because the Democrat-apologists (hat tip to the poster who coined that) aren't interested in reality, just finding a way to push their agenda. They want Republicans to cross over to vote for JB because of guns, but they'd never cross over in the other direction themselves.

7x57

Regan Democrats! FTW.

7x57
11-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Regan Democrats! FTW.

A telling point, but too broad for my narrow rhetorical purpose. They didn't cross over because of guns.

Nor are they now (see polls on independent voter shift)--they've decided that this Adam Smith guy may have been entirely wrong and that Marx guy not entirely right about the economy.

7x57

Doug L
11-17-2009, 12:45 PM
IT'S MEXICO!

Why the **** do politicians in THIS country feel the need to restrict OUR rights because another country CAN'T manage their own problems!!!

Because they're...ah...idiots??

yellowfin
11-17-2009, 12:48 PM
IT'S MEXICO!

Why the **** do politicians in THIS country feel the need to restrict OUR rights because another country CAN'T manage their own problems!!!Because they feel the need to do it for any other reason they can think of or no reason at all. They'd probably read a page out of the phone book if they couldn't come up with anything else.

Carlosa
11-17-2009, 12:52 PM
this is one I've seen coming for a long time.
and it will take allot of time and effort to educate people on how this Mexico drug cartel vs American second amendment issues is totally manufactured.
i think it is important to get a few facts clear.
the Mexican drug lords are NOT getting their weapons from the U.S legal civilian market.
the truth is that the cartels have access to military grade weapons, fragmentation grenades, fully automatic rifles, etc.
this is gear that we all know is not available on the civilian market.
The truth is that the Mexican drug cartels get their weapons from the people who make them. North Korea, Russia, China, etc. The cartels have infiltrated most of the governmental institutions in Mexico which gives the access to all the ports, airstrips, and roads that they would need to have this military grade weapons delivered to their back yards.
most American's don't realize the extent and power of organized crime in Mexico. politician are using this lack of education by the American public to manipulate them. a good example is the guy running for major in los Angeles who wants to close dispensaries under the pretense that they dispensary is a source of income for the Mexican cartel.
any way here's some good facts to know, in case you care to share them with folks in hopes to educate hem about the issue.

Myth: The United States is the source of 90% of drug syndicate guns in Mexico

Fact: This is an often misquoted data point from the BATFE, who said 90% of the
firearms that have been interdicted in transport to Mexico or recovered in Mexico came
from the United States. Thus the 90% number includes only the firearms American and
Mexican police stop in transport.70

Fact: The original number was derived from the number of firearms successfully traced, not the total number of firearms. For 2007-2008, Mexican officials recovered
approximately 29,000 firearms from crime scenes and asked for BATFE traces of 11,000. Of those, the BATFE could trace roughly 6,000 of which 5,114 were confirmed to have come from the United States. Thus, 83% of the crime guns recovered in Mexico have not been or cannot be traced to America.71

Fact: Mexican drug syndicates can buy guns anywhere. For the relatively underpowered civilian rifles coming from the United States, drug runners would pay between 300% and 400% above the market price. Thus they can and are buying guns around the world.72

Fact: Mexican drug cartels – with a $40 billion in annual revenues – have military
armament that includes hand grenades, grenade launchers, armor-piercing munitions,
antitank rockets and assault rifles smuggled from Central American countries.73 These
are infantry weapons bought from around the world and not civilian “assault weapon”
rifles from the United States.73

Myth: Mexico seizes 2,000 guns a day from the United States

Fact: The Mexican attorney general’s office reports seizing 29,000 weapons in all of
2007 and 2008, or about 14,500 a year. And that is all weapons, regardless of country of origin.74 Had they seized approximately 2,000 per day, the total number of seized guns would be closer to 1,460,000.74

Myth: Thousands of guns go into Mexico from the U.S. every day

Fact: In Senate Committee testimony, the BAFTE said the number was likely at worst in the “hundreds”.75 For 2007 and 2008, the average for all seizures was closer to 40 per day (29,000/730), only a fraction of which came from the USA by any means.75

sources...

70 Mexico's Massive Illegal weapons coming from China and the U.S., American Chronicle, March 14, 2009

71 The Myth of 90 Percent, Fox News, April 2, 2009, BATFE data distilled by William La Jeunesse and Maxim Lott

72 Southwest Border Region--Drug Transportation and Homeland Security Issues, National Drug Intelligence Center, October 2007

73 Drug cartels' new weaponry means war, Los Angeles Times, March 15, 2009

74 The Myth of 90 Percent, William La Jeunesse and Maxim Lott, Fox News, April 2, 2009

75 Senate Committee Judiciary, William Hoover, Assistant Director, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms, March 17, 2009

make an effort to share this info with you friends and family, special the ones that are not active shooters, sense they are the ones who's harts and minds this specific campaign is after.

yellowfin
11-17-2009, 12:53 PM
They got you Heller, by nominating two of the justices that voted for the law instead of lawless tyranny. I guess that's not much for you.It was a good thing to do, but very finite. One thing in 8 years, or two if you want to count them separately. LEOSA should have been for everyone not just cops, for starters. We shouldn't have to be trying for 50 state CCW reciprocity under an anti gun administration or waiting 3 (and hope to God not 7) years to get a chance at a pro gun one. WTF was holding them up from doing that when it could have won? Not to mention repealing the GCA of 68, that should be a no brainer yet they've fiddle farted around for 4 decades instead of squashing it on the spot like the worthless roach it is. I suppose consistency is too much to ask from them. Or watering your plants once a year makes your garden grow. It doesn't mine.

Carlosa
11-17-2009, 3:39 PM
Here's a good article in the BBC that talks about what is really fueling the violence in Mexico.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8364049.stm?ls

Sam .223
11-17-2009, 3:42 PM
who would take the blame over all if that happened reguardless of who said what, the Dems would for reinstateing the ban and presto there goes the elections for them.... as if the economy wasn't going to have the same effect. it kinda makes sense that a repub. would say something like that politically speaking but i'm sure there would be a bit of a backlash against them also for their support of it.

Super Spy
11-17-2009, 3:57 PM
IT'S MEXICO!

+100^10 Exactly, just because the Mexicans can't get their act together that means law abiding Americans should pay the price? F### That!

Quser.619
11-17-2009, 4:11 PM
It was a good thing to do, but very finite. One thing in 8 years, or two if you want to count them separately. LEOSA should have been for everyone not just cops, for starters. We shouldn't have to be trying for 50 state CCW reciprocity under an anti gun administration or waiting 3 (and hope to God not 7) years to get a chance at a pro gun one. WTF was holding them up from doing that when it could have won? Not to mention repealing the GCA of 68, that should be a no brainer yet they've fiddle farted around for 4 decades instead of squashing it on the spot like the worthless roach it is. I suppose consistency is too much to ask from them. Or watering your plants once a year makes your garden grow. It doesn't mine.

While I have my own complaints regarding Bush & AW's, what do you honestly thin we'll gain gun rights wise from the Obama appointees? I can't see Justice Sotamayer (sp?) suddenly finding a Constitutional right for something she opposes. If she does great, but look at the makeup of those that voted in favor of Heller & how those arguments are being used today to fuel McDonald & possibly other cases.

In fact it would be a complete lockdown on AW's by the current administration, being presenting to the existing court, that may indeed resolve this issue altogether. Nope, those 2 appointees are worth a 1000 temproary Executive Orders or Dept. of Justice mandates in the long run & unfortunately we on the pro-gun are going to have to play for the long run for the time being. Besides it changes made that way that tend to, legally speaking, have the longest & most effective repercussions.

Fate
11-17-2009, 6:22 PM
Eff Mexico. Seriously.

Sgt Raven
11-17-2009, 7:02 PM
Regan Democrats! FTW.

A telling point, but too broad for my narrow rhetorical purpose. They didn't cross over because of guns.
7x57

The Regan Democrats are the same ones who voted for Blue Dog Democrats. Gun Owners'! :rolleyes:

bodger
11-17-2009, 7:45 PM

I thought the only rule in that country was the drug runners anyway.

They don't care, if they actually are getting guns from the U.S., and the source dries up, they'll get them from China or Syria or wherever the hell else.
Money talks.

Considering what's happening in Mexico and how close they are, it makes more sense to arm as many Americans as possible.

AMDG
11-18-2009, 3:34 PM
I bet its a Cerberus plan to reignite the gun bubble to get the best pricing possible on the Freedom Group IPO. I wonder how much Cerberus paid him for this statement.