PDA

View Full Version : Meg Whitman

choprzrul
11-16-2009, 3:59 PM
I have been invited to meet-n-greet/fundraiser with Meg Whitman this week. The table has already been paid for, so I would have no out of pocket expense. I'm not even in the Republican party ( Constitution Party instead ), so I am not sure about going. The only reason I am entertaining going is to ask her what her position is regarding "may issue" vs "shall issue" CCW.

What does the membership say on this? Should I go? What should I ask her given the opportunity? What should I avoid doing/asking?

This is not my normal modus operandi, so any and all advice is welcome. I only have until tomorrow, 11/17, to let them know for an 11/18 event, so time is of the essence.

HowardW56
11-16-2009, 4:01 PM
I have been invited to meet-n-greet/fundraiser with Meg Whitman this week. The table has already been paid for, so I would have no out of pocket expense. I'm not even in the Republican party ( Constitution Party instead ), so I am not sure about going. The only reason I am entertaining going is to ask her what her position is regarding "may issue" vs "shall issue" CCW.

What does the membership say on this? Should I go? What should I ask her given the opportunity? What should I avoid doing/asking?

This is not my normal modus operandi, so any and all advice is welcome. I only have until tomorrow, 11/17, to let them know for an 11/18 event, so time is of the essence.

I'd love to hear her reply....

bigstick61
11-16-2009, 4:46 PM
Might as well make good use of the opportunity rather than waste it...I think it would be interesting to hear what she has to say, although having seen her overall platform I can't say she has any chance in hell of getting my vote in theprimaries, or even in the general (I'd vote 3rd Party or Indy first).

Legasat
11-16-2009, 4:57 PM
Hell yes go! Ask her how she can defend her position on gun control when the Constitution directly conflicts with her position!

CnCFunFactory
11-16-2009, 5:10 PM
you should ABSOLUTELY go!

yellowfin
11-16-2009, 5:13 PM
Get it recorded somehow. Video camera, mp4 on regular camera, or even cell phone video or voice recording, whatever you can swing. It needs to be verifiable and irrefutable.

five.five-six
11-16-2009, 5:15 PM
the thing I love about meg is thet there is no where to tell meg wht you think at "talktomeg.c0m"

she is a gungrabber

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/6954/megwhitman.jpg

SkatinJJ
11-16-2009, 5:19 PM
She'll never get out and meet most of us "little people". Damn straight I want you there to ask the questions that she can't really avoid:

Shall issue

RKBA; re: EBRs

Ammo

Magazine capacity

All these things for which she's on record as saying that California's gun laws on the books are enough, they're common sense, or some other such tripe.

Semper FI!!!

JJ

Ford8N
11-16-2009, 5:59 PM
Go, GO, GO. Ask the uncomfortable questions and watch them squirm and look at their handlers. Record everything.

demnogis
11-16-2009, 6:10 PM
YES!!!

Go, GO, GO. Ask the uncomfortable questions and watch them squirm and look at their handlers. Record everything.

berto
11-16-2009, 6:24 PM
I say go and ask thoughtful questions.

It sounds like you're going as a guest of someone else so you might consider how they'll take your asking what might come off as hostile questions. Just a thought.

choprzrul
11-16-2009, 7:18 PM
I say go and ask thoughtful questions.

It sounds like you're going as a guest of someone else so you might consider how they'll take your asking what might come off as hostile questions. Just a thought.

Yes, I was thinking of that when I originally posted my comments. I will be the guest of another local businessman who is VERY conservative, outspoken, and doesn't care if the whole world knows it. Sadly, the only thing that he has shot in his entire life is a BB gun. I invited him to the range today when we spoke and it sounded promising.

Here is the jist of the question that has been forming in my mind:

Q: As an example, the recent terror attack at Fort Hood on a population of citizens and soldiers who had their right to bear arms forbidden and were unable to defend themselves, do you support making California a "Shall Issue" state for carrying concealed weapons along with easing restrictions on law abiding citizens who wish to exercise their God-given right to keep and bear arms?

I realize that it will need some polishing, but that is what I am thinking now. I realize that using the attack at Fort Hood might be contraversial, but I feel it would be an even greater tragedy if they gave their lives and we learned nothing from it.

sf1973
11-16-2009, 8:35 PM
Get it recorded somehow. Video camera, mp4 on regular camera, or even cell phone video or voice recording, whatever you can swing. It needs to be verifiable and irrefutable.

+1

Go and get an answer. If she's asked the question enough, she might rethink some of her positions... O.K. maybe not....

scobun
11-16-2009, 10:19 PM
Ask her how she can expect to be taken seriously as a Republican candidate when she donated heavily to Barbara Boxer in the recent past. I'd love to hear the answer to that one.

ldivinag
11-16-2009, 10:20 PM
simple question: what is your stance on the second amendment...

patsline74
11-16-2009, 10:22 PM
Was this event the one at the winery in SLO? I was invited to that too and was also considering going. We'll see how much homework I'll have.

I'd say definitely go and ask her why we should vote for her when she hasn't cared enough to vote for anybody else.

choprzrul
11-17-2009, 5:12 AM
Was this event the one at the winery in SLO? I was invited to that too and was also considering going. We'll see how much homework I'll have.

I'd say definitely go and ask her why we should vote for her when she hasn't cared enough to vote for anybody else.

Yes it is, the one at Toloso. If you are going to go, PM me and we can exchange cell numbers. Would like to meet another CalGun'r.

wildhawker
11-17-2009, 10:00 AM
No sense in asking questions that will be answered by the courts (eg CCW). Instead, in a businesslike fashion, ask her specific questions on matters her potential role could have an affect on:

* If you had been Governor this October 11th, would you have vetoed AB962 knowing that it was preempted by Federal law or would you have signed it knowing it was bad law as did Mr. Schwarzenegger?

* If given the opportunity, would you as Governor sign AB373, a bill to repeal AB962?

* Do you agree with the Heller decision that the second amendment right to keep and bear arms is an individual and not a collective right?

* If 2A is indeed found to be incorporated against the states, and subsequently many of CA's current gun control laws are challenged and overturned, would it be your preference that the CA Legislature craft new gun control and gun registration legislation as may be permissible by the Supreme Court's holding?

choprzrul
11-17-2009, 1:17 PM
No sense in asking questions that will be answered by the courts (eg CCW). Instead, in a businesslike fashion, ask her specific questions on matters her potential role could have an affect on:

* If you had been Governor this October 11th, would you have vetoed AB962 knowing that it was preempted by Federal law or would you have signed it knowing it was bad law as did Mr. Schwarzenegger?

* If given the opportunity, would you as Governor sign AB373, a bill to repeal AB962?

* Do you agree with the Heller decision that the second amendment right to keep and bear arms is an individual and not a collective right?

* If 2A is indeed found to be incorporated against the states, and subsequently many of CA's current gun control laws are challenged and overturned, would it be your preference that the CA Legislature craft new gun control and gun registration legislation as may be permissible by the Supreme Court's holding?

Exactly the type of input I am looking for Wildhawker. Thank you for the excellent material. Anyone else care to contribute?

MolonLabe2008
11-17-2009, 2:48 PM
You are wasting your time. She is a gun-grabber.

If you do go, ask her why she waited until she was 46 to register to vote.

Corbin Dallas
11-17-2009, 7:00 PM
You are wasting your time. She is a gun-grabber.

If you do go, ask her why she waited until she was 46 to register to vote.

That's EXACTLY what you should ask her.

Forget the 2a questions, go for the jugular.

ZRX61
11-17-2009, 10:10 PM
Q: As an example, the recent terror attack at Fort Hood on a population of citizens and soldiers who had their right to bear arms forbidden and were unable to defend themselves, do you support making California a "Shall Issue" state for carrying concealed weapons along with easing restrictions on law abiding citizens who wish to exercise their God-given right to keep and bear arms?

The Constitution was written by men & the bible doesn't specifically mention gun rights of Americans... so I'd change the "god given" part.

nicki
11-18-2009, 3:28 AM
Okay, do this and keep a straight face.

Tell her that you are very concerned because you have a friend who is a post op male to female transexual, that she wants to protect herself from hate crimes.

Say your friend refuses to be a victim and because her risk of being a crime victim is 50X higher than that of the general public, that she may face multiple attackers, the only practical self defense choice was a handgun.

Here is your friend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0JFUbGaeSg

Tell Meg that your friend applied three times for a CCW, but was denied for lack of good cause. Yet the same LEO's routinely issue to "business people".

Then ask her will she continue to allow a discriminatory ccw system to exist in California or will she follow the examples of other states.

Tell her that if she won't support the fundamental right of self defense, ask her how can you support her.

If she says you can protect yourself at home, you could say that is only half a solution.

Nicki

choprzrul
11-18-2009, 6:59 PM
Just got home from the Whitman function. She is articulate and is obviously a very intelligent and experienced woman. She has good ideas and keeps it simple, which I like. I got the last question of the open forum and asked her "How do you personally feel about the 2nd amendment, is it an individual right or a collective right?". Stumped her cold. She had obviously never considered the deeper meaning of the 2nd amendment and had no clue how to answer or perhaps even interpret the question.

I am hoping that her and her team go away from the event and take time to analyze my question. The trick here will be getting another CalGun'r into another one of her events and ask the exact same question. Her response at that point will provide us with exacting clarity as to her thoughts and feelings on the 2nd amendment.

dfletcher
11-18-2009, 7:29 PM
Just got home from the Whitman function. She is articulate and is obviously a very intelligent and experienced woman. She has good ideas and keeps it simple, which I like. I got the last question of the open forum and asked her "How do you personally feel about the 2nd amendment, is it an individual right or a collective right?". Stumped her cold. She had obviously never considered the deeper meaning of the 2nd amendment and had no clue how to answer or perhaps even interpret the question.

I am hoping that her and her team go away from the event and take time to analyze my question. The trick here will be getting another CalGun'r into another one of her events and ask the exact same question. Her response at that point will provide us with exacting clarity as to her thoughts and feelings on the 2nd amendment.

My sense is that if she doesn't have an answer already, one crafted now will serve to only put her in a position to offend the fewest number of voters and that she is more than willing to better deal us when the time comes. If she's not by principle on our side we'll be in for a screwing - and given the CA legislature the opportunity to screw us will come up.

Corbin Dallas
11-18-2009, 8:39 PM

Her response to your question should scream "RUN AWAY" in any language.

No way this chick gets my vote... I don't care how educated she is. Her tone is holyier than thou and the "I'm better than you because I made eBay in my garage when I was dead broke and the only thing I had to sell was my crap so I created a website and pawned my wares on suckers like you..." leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth.

Sorry, she's up there with Carly Fiona in my book. She can hop back on her broomstick and go home.

bigcalidave
11-18-2009, 10:33 PM
She didn't CREATE ebay, she came in when ebay got too big for its own abilities. She directed the organization into the monster it became. Yes she's a great MBA. She won't be a great governor. She obviously doesn't believe in the rights of the people. It's not just the restriction of guns and gun parts with ebay. Both ebay and paypal under her control became anti consumer, pro big business. Terrified of litigation and willing to throw honest, hard working customers under the bus at any moment. At least with Arnold we got some fun, and violent, action movies. She's also stupid, running with anti same sex marriage in california. She just doesn't get it. We have to have a governor that wants individual rights. Lots of them.

Ford8N
11-19-2009, 4:10 AM

Wow, and this person wants to be in office with the power of the pen. With a few strokes of that pen she could take our gun rights away. Just wow.

...of course why should she even think about the meaning of the Second Amendment, it doesn't apply to California any way. So who cares.

California sux

Midian
11-19-2009, 5:47 AM
She ran eBay

She's part of the corporate Feudal system that sees us as slave labour serfs, and therefore a gun grabber, as illustrated in the post above.

Grill her if possible, post it on youtube for all to see.

Model X
11-19-2009, 10:14 PM
Lol.

So if your in corporate, your part of the evil corporate sector who wants to take away your rights.

If your a state/federal worker your part of the evil government sector who wants to take away your rights.

So whats left? Some unemployed guy who lives on some land that he inherited and grows food for himself and is totally self sufficient?

holasrmateo
11-19-2009, 10:44 PM
In politics you don't want to go on record. Why force Whitman to publicly take a stance? Transparency sound since but this is politics. By forcing her to take a stance, you ignite very active, very powerful gun control groups.

You might be thinking this is good or who cares they started it - no it's not - because it alienates independents and the ambivalent that are turned off by the fighting and default to what they know or what they have been taught which currently is that only crazies carry. However if no issue is made of gun rights, no issue is made of gun control, the majority of people could care less.

Consider that it is painfully obvious that the Obama administration does not control their message. Their Press Secretary is a dumbass who can't keep his mouth shut. this is nothing new. In the week right after the RNC, before anything good or bad came out about Palin, the Obama administration had nothing. They struggled to stay relevant and to compete for free media attention. The scrutiny, the questioning, was only extended to anyone who opposed him (Clinton, McCain etc). The economy; Obama had similar opinions as McCain, save protectionist pandering to states like Michigan and Ohio, but he wasn't the one on trial.

You force Whitman to answer questions, public acknowledge that she is for gun rights, which triggers a certain set of emotions (founded or otherwise) in this state she will lose and then we have AG Brown or perhaps Sen Fienstien who hasn't ruled out running. Whitman at the very least won't pursue gun rights (she needs the base - a base btw that doesn't for people like McCain to cater to the far right). Brown, the beloved AG, and Fienstien will take on gun control.

It is completely naive to believe that nothing is wrong with the truth in the world of politics. Whitman doesn't have to lie - politicians need not and should not be be liars - but that doesn't mean they should play 20 Questions. Gun rights isn't a salient issue in California. It makes as much political sense as asking a Democrat in a conservative state to tout abortion.