PDA

View Full Version : Doing PPT and CFLC

halifax
11-16-2009, 12:08 PM
So, let's say I drive out of town to purchase a handgun PPT. While doing the DROS, I present my FFL/CFD letter and claim the 10 wait excemption. This handgun is for my personal collection (never goes into my A/D book). Does the other dealer still need to do the CFLC letter?

ke6guj
11-16-2009, 12:36 PM
CFLC only applies to out-of-state FFL dealers shipping a firearm to a CA FFL dealer.
the CFLC applies to all dealer to dealer transfers, in-state and out-of-state

OCArmory
11-16-2009, 12:44 PM
No a CFLC is not needed because you are not transferring it to inventory you are purchasing it outright.
Mike

halifax
11-16-2009, 3:09 PM
OK, thanks.

TripleT
11-17-2009, 2:27 PM
The way I see it, the selling dealer does the dros, no cflc. You are going to do the dros = cflc. Same idea, just a different way of looking at it.

halifax
11-17-2009, 3:14 PM
I was thinking that if I give the dealer my CFD to claim the 10 wait exemption, he might assume the CFLC was needed. That is all.

TripleT
11-17-2009, 3:26 PM
I was thinking that if I give the dealer my CFD to claim the 10 wait exemption, he might assume the CFLC was needed. That is all.

Good point. CFD to claim exemption, I have not run into (still fairly new) but you're right, a dealer could think, "why am I using a cfd without a cflc"?

I'll add another one, sorta' along the same lines. What would be the proper procedure for a consignment long gun from one dealer to another dealer, for the dealer's personal inventory ? PPT, Dros, A & D's, CFD exemption etc. ?

halifax
11-18-2009, 7:43 AM
Good point. CFD to claim exemption, I have not run into (still fairly new) but you're right, a dealer could think, "why am I using a cfd without a cflc"?

I'll add another one, sorta' along the same lines. What would be the proper procedure for a consignment long gun from one dealer to another dealer, for the dealer's personal inventory ? PPT, Dros, A & D's, CFD exemption etc. ?

So, one dealer is buying another dealer's consignment for personal use? Seems to me the easiest way would be to ship or hand deliver it as a dealer-to-dealer transfer (CFLC) and let him worry about it.

TripleT
11-18-2009, 7:50 AM
So, one dealer is buying another dealer's consignment for personal use? Seems to me the easiest way would be to ship it as a dealer-to-dealer transfer (CFLC) and let him worry about it.

Yup, but what is the correct way to document the transfer into the purchasing dealer's personal inventory. To make it a bit more interesting, what if the purchasing dealer picks up the long gun, as in not shipped ? Keep in mind it is a long gun. ;) I have a suspicion on how it should or could be done but I'd really like to hear from other FFL's, with more experience than I.

kemasa
11-18-2009, 10:30 AM
If the firearm is not on the certified list and the seller is not willing to travel, then the buyer, who is a FFL has to travel. It has to be done as a PPT in order to be transferred. Since it is being done as a PPT at the other FFL's business, that FFL is not shipping the firearm, so no CFLC letter is required. The waiting period does not matter, nor does the reason for the waiting period exemption.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcfaqs.php#1