PDA

View Full Version : Fixed blade knife OC

GearHead
11-15-2009, 10:09 PM
Hey CalGunners-

First off, I don't know if this is the right section, but I figured since it was a place all about laws, it would fit. If not, I apologize and mods, feel free to move it wherever it would best be suited.

I live in the dreaded Santa Clara County. I have a Ka Bar knife that I have had for a while now and love it. I know that I am, per state law, prohibited from carrying it concealed, since it is fixed blade. Not a problem.

My question is: does anybody know if Santa Clara County has any additional provisions that bans open carry (on the waist, in a Kydex sheath completely exposed)? I poured over the statutes from the sccgov portal but couldn't find anything that said that was so. I realize that the police would probably hassle me, but I am more curious to see if it is even legally possible to do so, so that if I am doing some yardwork with my knife and decide to run out to my truck parked across the street/go up the road to get gas, I am breaking any laws.

I have searched CalGuns, but couldn't find any advice beyond "check your local statutes", which I have done rather unsuccessfully.

Thanks in advance!

The Director
11-16-2009, 12:12 AM
Omly if it's unloaded and the magazines are separate.:D

Turo
11-16-2009, 12:42 AM
Interesting, I wasn't able to turn up much either. The part you said about state law is correct, completely exposed in a sheath is not illegal as per the state law.

Some would suggest asking a police officer, but I've had them tell me all sorts of FUD and stuff that makes actual CA weapons laws seem logical by comparison.

You could also go to your county's law library it talks about on the website and see if you can uncover the local ordinances there.

You'd be surprised at some they have: I recently found out that it's against a county ordinance here in SLO to fire an airsoft gun within city limits... how's that for idiotic?

Good luck on your search though, I hope you find what you're looking for.

Adehtla
11-16-2009, 2:32 AM
It may be that Santa Clara County has placed no further restrictions on knives, and instead relies upon the State's statutes regarding edged weapons.

Google + "site:" syntax = http://www.sccgov.org/SCC/docs/scc_ordinance/31503001.HTM <-- That's all I could find.

Adehtla
11-16-2009, 2:36 AM
Google + "site:" syntax = http://www.sccgov.org/SCC/docs/scc_ordinance/31503001.HTM <-- That's all I could find.

Kid Stanislaus
11-16-2009, 7:54 AM
Try writing a letter to the District Attorney's office.

Glock22Fan
11-16-2009, 8:40 AM
This is the best resource I know on this topic. (http://www.ninehundred.net/~equalccw/knifelaw.html)

cineski
11-16-2009, 9:13 AM
I know you love your knife, but it may make more sense to get yourself a great folding knife. Aside from a few school and fed building restrictions, folders are pretty much plug and play in CA.

GearHead
11-16-2009, 12:25 PM
This is the best resource I know on this topic. (http://www.ninehundred.net/~equalccw/knifelaw.html)
I came across this site last night. It is quite good, but it doesn't talk about individual city/county restrictions.

I know you love your knife, but it may make more sense to get yourself a great folding knife. Aside from a few school and fed building restrictions, folders are pretty much plug and play in CA.
I carry a small Benchmade folder with me everywhere, but sometimes the KaBar is needed for tougher jobs.

Decoligny
11-16-2009, 12:32 PM
Hey CalGunners-

First off, I don't know if this is the right section, but I figured since it was a place all about laws, it would fit. If not, I apologize and mods, feel free to move it wherever it would best be suited.

I live in the dreaded Santa Clara County. I have a Ka Bar knife that I have had for a while now and love it. I know that I am, per state law, prohibited from carrying it concealed, since it is fixed blade. Not a problem.

My question is: does anybody know if Santa Clara County has any additional provisions that bans open carry (on the waist, in a Kydex sheath completely exposed)? I poured over the statutes from the sccgov portal but couldn't find anything that said that was so. I realize that the police would probably hassle me, but I am more curious to see if it is even legally possible to do so, so that if I am doing some yardwork with my knife and decide to run out to my truck parked across the street/go up the road to get gas, I am breaking any laws.

I have searched CalGuns, but couldn't find any advice beyond "check your local statutes", which I have done rather unsuccessfully.

Thanks in advance!

You also have to be aware of any city ordinances.

inbox485
11-16-2009, 3:26 PM

It is a decent starting point for state level laws, but I wouldn't trust it anymore than an LEO's word on what the law is. The author is out of touch on the law (for example, he is dead wrong on the switchblade section in regard to AOs being generally legal).

Ron-Solo
11-16-2009, 3:48 PM
For those of you in Los Angeles County:

Los Angeles County Code

13.62.010 Knives and daggers defined.

As used in this chapter, the terms “knives and daggers” shall include any knife having a blade of three inches or more in length; any spring-blade, switch-blade or snap-blade knife; any knife any blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device; any ice pick or similar sharp stabbing tool; any straight-edge razor or any razor blade fitted to a handle. (Ord. 11915 1, 1979.)

13.62.020 Carrying knives and daggers in plain view prohibited.

It is unlawful for any person to carry on his person, in plain view, any knife or dagger. (Ord. 11915 2, 1979.)

13.62.030 Exemptions to chapter applicability.

The foregoing restrictions shall not be deemed to prohibit the carrying of ordinary tools or equipment for use in a lawful occupation or for the purpose of lawful recreation, or where the carrying of a knife or dagger is a recognized religious practice. (Ord. 11915 3, 1979.)

13.62.040 Violation--Penalty.

Any person violating this chapter is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not exceeding $500.00 or by imprisonment in the County Jail for a period not exceeding six months, or by both such fine and imprisonment. (Ord. 11915 4, 1979.)

Many cities and counties have similar ordinances.

GearHead
11-16-2009, 4:02 PM
You also have to be aware of any city ordinances.

Jeez, the City of Santa Clara's site is even worse than the county's!