PDA

View Full Version : Spenceville range to be closed

scoob_i_e
11-15-2009, 1:05 PM
Was there shooting solo today. Sheriff comes by. (He was a very cool cop by the way). And he was only casually informing us with this bit of information but he informed myself (as well as another group of people whom were there shooting) that the range is to be shut down. And soon.

Easy guess why; PRIMARILY due to the always-present garbage and general abuse of the range.

He also pointed out to us that the concrete benches that are out there had been used for target practice recently.

And I don't think any of us were aware it until he had pointed it out but;

One of the benches toward the south end of the range had two chunks missing from it. The gouges appeared to be from glancing strikes.

Apparently someone stood in the parking area and had plinked at the bench from there.

Also, there was the issue of the missing garbage cans. He told us that BLM had placed some cans out there only to find them gone the following day.--I think the Sheriff had said it was BLM that put out the cans.--Not sure.

I have not called BLM to check for myself on whether the range is in fact to be closed, for whatever good that would do.

But this is information we had received from the Sheriff and I would guess that his word is as good as anything.

So yeah the range is apparently scheduled to be shut down due to the same-same unsavory behavior commonly found at public shooting ranges.

If true, well...... That sucks.

Oh and one more thing he said he was aware of calguns coming out and doing clean ups. I told him that I had been there with a group back in Aug. I didn't bother to add anything else. :)

I wonder if the Sheriff is a member here?

mosinnagantm9130
11-15-2009, 3:39 PM
Haven't heard of anything like that. If it's true that sucks.:(

leitung
11-16-2009, 7:32 PM
Lame, another cleanup perhaps?

Seesm
11-16-2009, 8:48 PM
Nah too late but good news is all the people who are lame f**ks who f**ked it up can keep messing up all the others and get them closed too!! YEAH for all of us.. :(

robairto
11-16-2009, 9:51 PM
REAL reason= lazy government employees who don't want to have to work or do their jobs. Let's see I'd rather not drive out there and still make 6k a month retire at 70% with lifetime benefits and go out early with an injury and blame the public for us having to do our jobs. Or we get paid less, do our jobs at a higher level of efficiency and benefit the public who supports our lazy city,county, state, federal butts with over benefitted pension plans and health care. Just my .02 of course but very true.

sargenv
11-17-2009, 7:30 AM
I thought Spenceville was DFG and not BLM.. if it is DFG, well, their budget has been slashed so many times I'm surprised it has stayed open this long.

bill104
11-17-2009, 8:35 AM
They have been saying this for the past 10 years or so, they have said its over the fires, the shooting of livestock, and the general Garbage that gets left out there, those new Concerte tables were placed there months ago and showed signs of being shot in the first week, whats werid to me is, with all the nuts that go out their and abuse the area, theirs not been any reports of any one getting shot or killed there, which Really surprises Myself, as I have seen alot of close calls out there, even Thou I've not been their on a long time, I'am sure noting has changed, I can only hope they don't close Spenceville down, after all it is the last free range left in this area.

Hoop
11-17-2009, 8:37 AM
Same thing got Colfax closed too. Idiots who drag garbage out there for target practice and don't bother to clean up after themselves.

bill104
11-17-2009, 10:26 AM
lets not forget the jerks that like to shot at propnae tanks then leave the blown up tanks for others to get cut on cleaning up their mess, last time i was their I took bottled water with me set them up and had a great time blowing them up, and it only took me 10 minutes to walk out and pick up my mess, yet still took 2 full garbage bags home with me.
I tend to shot early in the mornings when its to cold for the the nuts to be there, so its never a problem to spend a little time picking up the range, But even if there were other shooters out there, I would think no one would complain much if someone held them up, a few minutes to pick up at least their own mess.

Requiem
11-17-2009, 1:34 PM
Look, if we get an organized clean up going I'd be more than happy to come up, go shooting, and clean up the entire range with you guys. I was there last week and the place is definitely pretty trashed, but I have seen worse. I would have taken trash with me but I didn't have any bags and didn't want to throw it in the back seat of my car since the trunk doesn't open.

I say we set a date for a calguns shoot and clean up of spenceville... sound good to anyone else? I'm down for pretty much any time in the following weeks except this coming weekend and the days surrounding thanksgiving.

God Bless The Mauser
11-19-2009, 3:50 PM
I'm in for a clean up and I know a few friends that would help too. I was there last Friday and there was quite a bit of trash.

ArmedWolf
11-19-2009, 4:07 PM
I was there last year and the range was pretty clean and had chained cans with fresh bags, but I used my own bags I brought anyway to clean up my mess and the few plastic bottles around. I was on the left pistol end, didn't check out the rifle end much or what was out there, I was alone. Was a nice place, pisses me off to hear that probably the same dickheads that got Colfax closed have moved to this zone.

I'm in for a clean up, I'm unemployed now and to broke for college, so my time is free.

I could tarp the back of my SUV and bring bags, rakes, and such to take junk to my local city dump.

Dibs on fresh .40s&w shells :D

DREADNOUGHT78
11-19-2009, 4:59 PM
Suck's to hear I been shooting out at Spenceville since the early 90's and have done my share of cleaning and hauling of garbage bags. I also use to shoot up at Colfax and morons got that place shut down as well. Soon enough we will only be able to pay to shoot anymore.

ArmedWolf
11-19-2009, 5:58 PM
Lets do this before heavy rains begin, The roads to the range are not the most enjoyable to drive. Unless there is a better path than the brain rattler I take.

fusionstar
11-21-2009, 10:43 AM
Lets do this before heavy rains begin, The roads to the range are not the most enjoyable to drive. Unless there is a better path than the brain rattler I take.

The "better path" is going to marysville and going east on 20. The brain rattling will be less than 2 minutes but the drive out will be 25 miles longer from sacramento.

Turbinator
11-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Good luck guys, I used to shoot at Spenceville with another Calgunner here, hoping you guys can get it cleaned up and perhaps convince the gov't to leave it open.

Turby

Spyder
11-21-2009, 11:54 AM
If there is a cleanup, someone pm me and I'll do what I can to show up...

leitung
11-21-2009, 11:15 PM
Is it still open, anyone checked?

I want to head up tomorrow to do some shooting and cleaning..

ChrisTKHarris
11-22-2009, 10:08 PM
I was there this past Saturday (21st) and it was still open. It was fairly clean and was packed with tons of people.

racky
11-23-2009, 4:26 AM
is this the place next to beale afb?

ChrisTKHarris
11-23-2009, 6:52 AM
is this the place next to beale afb?

Yessir, east of Beale.

racky
11-23-2009, 10:37 PM
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! :willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nill y:

will a range clean up save it or is it pretty much considered closed? :(

CKY
11-24-2009, 1:55 PM
Sac black rifle had tried to do a clean up and had to shut it down while people were shooting to acomplish the task. With everyone helping it took 30 min. Was a great time but everybody that was shooting did not help. I dont know why. If you shoot at spenceville and enjoy it then see 80% of the people there cleaning up would'nt you go help too? Nope! didnt happen. thats why it is getting shut down! Ive heard its not my mess, im not cleaning up after anyone, someone else will do it. Well go find another place to shoot now. All the people that said that ruined it for everyone. Spenceville needs a cleanup every week on a certain day so that everyone knows that the range will be closed and everone can plan to participate. Never happened and we will loss a range. Im sure its not the last. Thats sad to say!

CKY
11-24-2009, 2:05 PM
You really dont get much practice out there anyway. Just shooting stuff up is not really learning anything. Try a training class with Stone Cobra Tactical at Sac Valley Shooting Center. Its only 150$ and you learn alot more, its alot safer and its clean. There is a shotgun class on the 12 of december. He also has ar training and handgun.

ArmedWolf
11-25-2009, 7:54 PM
whats wrong with just relaxing to shoot targets and not take on some tactical coarse? :confused:

diginit
11-25-2009, 8:31 PM
Same thing got Colfax closed too. Idiots who drag garbage out there for target practice and don't bother to clean up after themselves.

Too bad it is illegal to use these people for target pracitice. I love moving targets. Salt in a 12 ga may teach them a lesson. Seriously.

Turbinator
11-26-2009, 3:47 AM
Sac black rifle had tried to do a clean up and had to shut it down while people were shooting to acomplish the task.

This right here says something - the people who shoot at Spenceville are probably generally not Calgunners. Their sense of responsibility and duty to keep the range clean is non-existent. Even with Calgunners helping, it is highly unlikely we can keep the range clean enough to keep it open. We are probably only but 10% of the people who use Spenceville? The other 90% are clueless and oblivious to what is going on.

Good luck, but unfortunately it sounds like a losing battle.

Turby

rmasold
11-26-2009, 10:14 PM
If you call watching you're back while setting up targets relaxing you can have it. I love this range but in general most people have no clue. They just go out and shoot make a mess and leave. When it gets shut down people still won't learn lol I think it's a lost cause.

ArmedWolf
11-27-2009, 2:51 AM
Things must have changed in the people there, as the times I've gone people were respectful, all talking to each other and asking to go down range, or usually together, if someone arrived people alerted them that people were downrange before they started any shooting.

Only bad bunch I remember is when I went to break in my XD, a young couple of Russian speaking kids were dusting the ground fast as they could with a shotgun and tossing out their glass bottles they finished drinking, then took off, all in less than a half hour, they weren't there long at all.

I was the last one to leave that day as the sun had set and was getting dark, I cleaned up what I had and anything else I could manage, and enjoyed some night time muzzle flash before packing in and heading out :D

Sleepy1988
12-17-2009, 6:05 PM
That really sucks. That's a nice range, a bit small, but still, you can shoot out 100s of yards there. I've only been there a few times too.

It only takes a few to ruin it for everyone else.

:mad:

racky
12-22-2009, 4:58 AM
i'll planning to go up there next week. anybody know if it's still open?

Swatguy10_15
12-22-2009, 8:04 AM
Having this same problem at a local BLM spot...Its a great parcel of land to go shoot..Rolling hills..You can set up targets anywhere from 25 to 1000 yards and its beautiful out there...I made the mistake of telling some folks about it and wow..What a bad bad baadd idea that was.They told theyre buddies and they told theyres..and its now a dump. Computers,cell phones.cans bottles, kitchen sink, propane bottles..You name it. All shot up and left laying there..We never used to have this issue..Heck theyre even used to be a couple garbage cans we left up there for folks to throw theyre trash into..But now those became targets as well. Was up there the other day and those guys were calgunners...I could hear them talking about the deals they got off the site.. and they were just disgusting...the guy literally cleaned his truck bed out onto the hill when they were done shooting and left..granted I got 600 plus rounds of 5.56 brass and a whole crud ton of once fired shotgun hulls...but the point is...

xounlistedxox
12-22-2009, 2:35 PM
Last time I shot there was about 6 years ago. There were two trashy looking guys there shooting AK's, and AR's as fast as they possibly could not hitting anything. All of them were running drop mags. We left after we saw them drinking bud light and stuffing a revolver in their pants with no sort of holster. I haven't been back since, but I'm sure it hasn't gotten any better and wouldn't surprise me if it was shut down.

mosinnagantm9130
12-26-2009, 6:48 PM
Spenceville was open as of today. Plenty of idiots though.

ChrisTKHarris
12-27-2009, 10:01 AM
I was at Spenceville yesterday (26th) and I showed up to be greated by three Sheriff, one CHP and a bunch of Fire guys. Some idiots were lighting fires next to filled propane tanks and then shooting them to make them explode. The Chief was feeling nice that day and just gave the guys warnings, but incidents like this will surely mean the closure of Spenceville.

There were TONS of cars, probably about 10 that were waiting to get a spot on the line, I've never seen it that crowded before. People were leaving trash everywhere too. :cry:

leitung
12-27-2009, 8:22 PM
I was at Spenceville yesterday (26th) and I showed up to be greated by three Sheriff, one CHP and a bunch of Fire guys. Some idiots were lighting fires next to filled propane tanks and then shooting them to make them explode. The Chief was feeling nice that day and just gave the guys warnings, but incidents like this will surely mean the closure of Spenceville.

There were TONS of cars, probably about 10 that were waiting to get a spot on the line, I've never seen it that crowded before. People were leaving trash everywhere too. :cry:

Idiots... This is what is going to be the downfall of spenceville for sure..

Seriously lame..

mosinnagantm9130
12-28-2009, 12:07 PM

Those would be the idiots I was refering to. Perfect timing by the sheriff though, pulled in right when they decided to shoot another propane tank.:D

ChrisTKHarris
12-28-2009, 3:03 PM
Those would be the idiots I was refering to. Perfect timing by the sheriff though, pulled in right when they decided to shoot another propane tank.:D

What car were you in? I was in the silver Scion that was down towards the left end in the 25 yard area.

krushem2000
12-28-2009, 7:16 PM
propane tank? hope they were chained down like one they showed on tv last week and why waste $18 bucks on propane if youre gonna blow that up. idiots ruin it for others.. :ban: maybe this place can be membership only range????

dreslinger
12-29-2009, 2:27 PM
Last time I was there, some idiot started firing when we had a cease fire going. My Son and daughter were on the range with me along with some othe folks. The guy next to me started reaming them a new one and they packed up and left. I was tempted to return fire. My Son was at the 100 yard pit setting up targets and my daughter was behind me setting up 25 yard pistol/22 targets. Don't know what I would have done had one of my kids been hurt. I love Spenceville but it needs a range master. Have not been back since.

Clinton
12-30-2009, 1:56 AM
We shoot at Spenceville all the time. It's only about 20 min from home. But I've noticed just in the last year or so how many more people go out there than before. For years it was barely used. Lately we have to wait for a spot. I'm guessing that ranges closed elsewhere has driven shooters to Spenceville.
We see a lot of idiots out there too. Beer drinking, shooting at non-targets, A-holes throwing clay birds over other shooters, ect. But what can one or two guys even say to a big group of drunks without it turning into a brawl or even a gunfight? Everyone on the range thinks they're resident badass.

Requiem
12-30-2009, 8:57 PM
I'm heading up there tomorrow for a bit to shoot my remington 700 and clean up a bit. Planning on bringing a few trash bags.

gotgunz
12-30-2009, 9:48 PM
I have been invited to go on New Years Day... I am still undecided.

God Bless The Mauser
01-07-2010, 1:32 PM
I'm going out there next Friday, hopefully it won't be as crowded as last time.

My375hp302
01-10-2010, 5:49 PM
I've been twice in the last few weeks and neither time was I able to shoot at the range. I can't believe how many people are out there nowadays. I remember being the only one out there several times in the past. No biggie tho, you can shoot almost anywhere out there on the spenceville wildlife area. Just be mindful to choose a safe location away from people and livestock, and remember to pick up all of your trash. It's actually nicer to not have to deal with all the idiots and to be able to check your targets whenever you want to!

God Bless The Mauser
01-15-2010, 2:03 PM
I was there for a while today and the trash wasn't really all that bad. The people there seemed alright too. Wasn't too terribly crowded. For a little while it was just me and my friends. Some of the area around Spenceville looks like it would be good for long range shooting.

big_bumpkin
01-15-2010, 5:32 PM
I don't believe the range will be closed immediately, but the area manager had mentioned that he was "Trying" to get it taken over by private enterprise, do to the cleanup cost, or get it shut down. All it takes is to tell your neighbor to stop shooting trash, and call the Sheriff's Office or Fish and Game. Sounds like the Cops are making a stir out there, and I'm glad to hear it. We should support the Deputies and Wardens who enforce the trash/shooting rules, and run off those who are violating the rules.

big_bumpkin
01-15-2010, 5:35 PM
I've been twice in the last few weeks and neither time was I able to shoot at the range. I can't believe how many people are out there nowadays. I remember being the only one out there several times in the past. No biggie tho, you can shoot almost anywhere out there on the spenceville wildlife area. Just be mindful to choose a safe location away from people and livestock, and remember to pick up all of your trash. It's actually nicer to not have to deal with all the idiots and to be able to check your targets whenever you want to!

Careful, you actually cannot set up a target and shoot wherever you want out there. The range is designated as the only approved shooting area, read 551 (q) of the Fish and Game Code, it describes the rules for Spenceville.

chuckhole
01-15-2010, 6:18 PM
Looks like most everyone has the right idea about clean and safe shooting.

It's been years sense I was last up there. But, the last time I was at the range, there was a table full of drinkers shooting ak's as fast as they could. I also packed up and left.

Fortunately, I have a little property and now have a private range. If everyone at Spenceville would respect the law and the rules I would love to go back up there. I used to enjoy it.

sg916
01-15-2010, 7:48 PM
I gave up on Spenceville over a year ago. My biggest concern was the lack of safety. People drinking, pointing their gun in every direction but in a safe one, and the trash. Oh let's not forget that no one actually follows an actual range line, it's more of a zig zag, people will start shooting behind and in front of you.

To actually get some good shooting in, show up early morning, waiting on the sun to rise over the ridge. By 9 or 10 a.m. pack it up before the idiots show up.

We always hauled out bags full of garbage to leave it cleaner than we found it. It would get so busy sometimes you could not clear to reset targets for almost an hour.

I prefer the structure of a rangemaster because their is set guidelines that are followed by everyone. Simply follow the rules so everyone will be safe and have fun.

My375hp302
01-16-2010, 2:26 PM
Careful, you actually cannot set up a target and shoot wherever you want out there. The range is designated as the only approved shooting area, read 551 (q) of the Fish and Game Code, it describes the rules for Spenceville.

Could you clarify that? In going here : http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/calawquery?codesection=fgc&codebody=&hits=20 There doesn't appear to be a section 551(q).

If you look here: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/lands/wa/region2/spenceville.html It says "Target Shooting- Target shooting is permitted at the public target shooting area where only paper and clay targets will be allowed and must be removed prior to leaving the shooting area." But is doesn't say that is the only place you can shoot. In fact I can't find anything saying shooting is prohibited anywhere on DGF land.

If you look here : http://www.dfg.ca.gov/QandA/2009/20090423.asp It says "According to Assistant Chief Mike McBride, the Department of Fish and Game (DFG) does not regulate target shooting nor keep track of all the potential target shooting areas available to the public. This issue basically comes down to county shooting ordinances and landowner permission."

Neither Yuba nor Nevada counties have any shooting restrictions that are in effect out there that I am aware of. I could be wrong, but I was under the impression it was ok and DFG has never said anything to me about it and they have seen me doing it multiple times.

pitchbaby
02-02-2010, 12:34 AM
I gave up on Spenceville over a year ago. My biggest concern was the lack of safety. People drinking, pointing their gun in every direction but in a safe one, and the trash. Oh let's not forget that no one actually follows an actual range line, it's more of a zig zag, people will start shooting behind and in front of you.

To actually get some good shooting in, show up early morning, waiting on the sun to rise over the ridge. By 9 or 10 a.m. pack it up before the idiots show up.

I agree here.... I always try to go between 6Am and 11AM. After that, your better off not being there.

If anyone here wants to organize a clean and shoot trip, I'm down with it. I am only available Tues-Fri. As stated... early AM.

JD586
02-13-2010, 2:15 PM
I went up there today, got there around 9:15 there were 3 game warden trucks and at least one plain clothes officer there writing tickets to people shooting non paper/clay targets. Looked like they were giving out at least a half dozen tickets.

pitchbaby
02-13-2010, 3:24 PM
By Non-Paper.... does this mean cans and bottles and stuff? Is it OK to use clays on the berm as targets? I always bring a target stand for paper and clays anyway, but I just want to be sure what I am doing is kosher.

GVOllie
02-13-2010, 5:49 PM
As far as I know the rules say paper targets and clays only. It doesn't specify that clays have to be thrown or anything, but I wouldn't really suggest just shooting into the berm. You could always fashion a holder with some PVC and string the clays on the holder to shoot at. I usually use adhesive backed targets on cardboard boxes that I bring with me and haul out when I leave. I saw the wardens down there today as I drove by on the way into Beale. Crowded as usual.

I found a new private shooting club after some really scary things I saw there that keeps me away from the masses of the unsafe. Last time I was at this new club I had the traps to myself and the other two guys on the small arms range were leaving just as I got there. Had the place to myself for an hour and a half!

Roseville Ranger
02-27-2010, 11:48 AM
looks like spenceville is safe for now, i was there last weekend and no problems. but i always go eary as well i was there at 7am

NCHogin
04-27-2010, 7:53 AM
Last time I was there, some idiot started firing when we had a cease fire going. My Son and daughter were on the range with me along with some othe folks. The guy next to me started reaming them a new one and they packed up and left. I was tempted to return fire. My Son was at the 100 yard pit setting up targets and my daughter was behind me setting up 25 yard pistol/22 targets. Don't know what I would have done had one of my kids been hurt. I love Spenceville but it needs a range master. Have not been back since.

I agree, I don't like to be too restricted (like at certain ranges) but too many Nimrods jeopardizing safety at Spenceville. Last time I drove by to shoot a few with my daughter, I was barely in the parking lot and saw two guys getting a kick out of shooting a plastic soda bottle off each others hands at point blank with their AR15. Like the saying goes, Stupid should hurt. I just left. Haven't been back since. I'd love to see this place remain open but not feeling to optimistic from what's been seen and reported on this place.

pitchbaby
04-27-2010, 8:07 AM
I don't know what time of day you guys are going... but I have found the only time safe to be out there is before noon on a weekday. If you can't do that, then I agree, your better off not going.

Shintao
04-27-2010, 8:07 AM
I am new to this forum, but not new to spenceville. After Colfax got shutdown it was the best place to go. I hate going out there and seeing trash and clearly all those people. I would love to go out there and help clean.

metalhead357
04-27-2010, 9:08 AM
let me know if there's to be a cleanup: I might be able to get up there depending on date/time

He_Shoot_Me
04-27-2010, 10:09 AM
Last time I drove by to shoot a few with my daughter, I was barely in the parking lot and saw two guys getting a kick out of shooting a plastic soda bottle off each others hands at point blank with their AR15.

You gotta be f...ing kidding me!

I live really close to that range, but I don't go there very often, because of that kind of crap. Last time I was there these a-holes were loading and cycling their weapons behind the line while their other buddies were shooting in front of them. After this one cat swept everyone to the South of him for the third time, I finally had enough and asked him WTF. This guy had no clue what he was doing wrong, but did apologize and didn't do it again.

I guess having the good fortune of having my dad take me to the range since I was a kid, making me do and listen to everything the range master had to say, has paid off for me. Every time I come across someone who's just getting into guns, I always recommend they go to a controlled range and learn proper range safety and gun control.

let me know when you guys plan the next clean-up, and I'll be there.

-Pat

317cmbtengr
04-27-2010, 6:27 PM
If you want to help clean up be there at 7-8 am on Monday mornings. I usually go there at sunup on Mondays to avoid the crowds and the problems. The DFG is there every Monday morning and they spend about an hour hauling garbage out. We help out and then shoot when they leave.

metalhead357
04-28-2010, 7:11 AM
If you want to help clean up be there at 7-8 am on Monday mornings. I usually go there at sunup on Mondays to avoid the crowds and the problems. The DFG is there every Monday morning and they spend about an hour hauling garbage out. We help out and then shoot when they leave.

If I get a Monday off I might be game- I'm usually a M-F slave though:(

He_Shoot_Me
04-28-2010, 10:52 AM
It will have to be a weekend for me as well. However, if I get a Monday off, I'll see you there 317. And thank you for the help you're already doing.

-Pat

1SGMAT
04-28-2010, 4:08 PM
We need to get a volunteer roster going so that every day (or at least every Sat, Sun and Holiday) there is a range safety officer there. I am sure something could be worked out with LLE officers and DFG to support it. Not a full on range master to order people around but someone who can correct safety issues and coach new shooters on safety if need be. They could also ensure or report those that did not police up their trash. If someone shows up drinking or is extremely unsafe call LLE and let them boot them out. Hard to do , yes imposable, no.

317cmbtengr
04-28-2010, 5:44 PM
I'll be there this Monday morning, with some friends. Just trying to keep the range open. I've been shooting there for more than 28 years and would like to see it continue to stay free as there are not many open ranges left. It is better to shoot here and clean up instead of people leaving a mess in the forests.

cactus
04-28-2010, 9:07 PM
I'm going this Monday as well. I will bring some trash bags.

We were out there today around 10:00 or so. My son had a doctor appointment so I ended up there later than expected. It didn't look to bad but we still picked up what stuff was around. We had a great time beautiful drive and weather.

pyromensch
05-24-2010, 7:29 PM
not to say that it isn't finally happening, for over 25 yrs that i have been going there, i have heard that speceville was going to be closed. when i was last there. a year ago, i was surprised to find it open. LE and rangers have gone along way to restrict the targets, that people bring to shoot, but there are "those elements", that ruin it for everyone else. it is because reponsible shooters, get together to maintain these ranges, that they are still open. keep it going, and "they" won't have a reason to close them

Charlie50
05-24-2010, 7:37 PM
:(I can safely predict that Spenceville will be closed within two years. But why or why the sheep ask. Well boys and girls because the powers that be want it that way! Shooting on public lands is doomed to be but a dusty memory that only old guys will talk about. The Spenceville shooting range is great place but without some policing, private or public the place is literally a target for closure.

The condescending tone is intentional! I want the shooting community pissed enough to actually get off their collective a..s and act. We’ve got very few places to shoot and the places you can are crowded, virtual garbage dumps where anarchy can prevail. A couple of guys I was talking to said gang bangers are driving up there shooting like idiots and according to these people possibly illegal autos Most shooters are responsible and will do the right thing but there is an element of society that does not help our sport.

I went out to Spenceville only one time about a week ago and had a great time. I live in Vallejo, why did I drive all that way to shoot? Well that would be because Knoxville BLM land is closed to shooting! The trend of closing areas to shooting has been relentless and long.

The BLM, Forest Service, Sheriffs Departments and the State of California would like nothing better to kick shooting enthusiasts out and reduce their exposure to potential problems that involve “evil” firearms. The voting public is likely on their side. The average Californian these days think gun think - bad.
So you ask “what do we do!” First contribute to Calguns, second tell others about Calguns and organize. Maybe we can convince the local legislators that we are not all ignorant, ill-informed, gun toting Bubbas. No funding is given to these places that have literally hundreds of tax paying citizens enjoying yet there is room in the budget for various parks and public areas that don’t have a quarter of the use. I met a great guy out there who has been volunteering his time since the late 70’s out at Spenceville cleaning up the trash, cutting the weeds and gently informing shooters about the rules. We need to kick out a few bucks out to support basic maintenance or the average Joe non-shooter is going to look at photos of these places and say “close down that noisy, nuisance that looks like a dump”.

Its time to scream that we need our fair share. After all you all do realize that you pay extra taxes on the ammunition, guns and licenses that we do not get a proportionate share. My two cents ORGANIZE, INFLUENCE AND FUND. Calguns sponsorship of this area?

Rigma
05-24-2010, 10:09 PM
Its time to scream that we need our fair share. After all you all do realize that you pay extra taxes on the ammunition, guns and licenses that we do not get a proportionate share. My two cents ORGANIZE, INFLUENCE AND FUND. Calguns sponsorship of this area?

I pledge a few $ and a min of a weekend a month for clean-up. If sponsorship was successful it would be a major PR win, but it's also a HUGE risk with MAJOR liability concerns.

I'm going to buy a lottery ticket tomorrow and if I win I will establish a trust to make this happen. Cross your fingers for me!

FatalKitty
06-03-2010, 4:06 PM
the other side of the coin:

I recently began my foray into the wonderful world of firearms ownership and shooting.
my first weapon: a remington 870 Express, 18.5 6rd mag. Love it.
in the past 4 weeks, i've been to spenceville 3 times - and put over 600 rounds through it. My shooting "mentor" is my best buddy and trusted friend who is a long time gun enthusiest with several firearms. He's the one that taught me weapons handeling, safety, range rules and proper shooting manners. he's not without fault - as over my time here and at the range I've found new and important rules and manners, and shotgun corse that taught me a lot as well.
Being the idiot that I am, on Memorial day at Spenceville during a range clear - I noticed my shotgun was sitting on the table with the action closed - I swore I had it open as I ALWAYS DO, but there was also my friend and his brother (another shooting enthusiast) using my shotgun... so I quickly cleared the action (no rounds, just being closed made me nervous)
I thought this was the right thing to do.
I was quickly scolded by a fellow shooter a few parties over, who made it clear in no uncertain terms that I was an ******* and should have known better - was extremely rude... and told me not to even touch the weapon during a clear... Good to know - (I had firgured I was doing the safer thing by making sure it was clear) I tried to be polite and thank him for setting me straight, shook his hand and appologized - he went on his way. Over the course of the rest of the day, I noticed during a range clear that my shooting buddies had handled firearms and I quickly told them not to, and that I had been told that was not cool at all.

Also, during my time there we saw several kinds of targets being shot, including TVs, soda cans and paper targets - NO I did not clean up after them... in fact when I got there at 8am there were already several people out there shooting, many of them left by 1 or so but more showed up... making it near impossible to do any kind of real cleaning... obviously before we left we waited for a range clear and took back everything we brought with us (including shells for later releading)

I didn't feel and overwhelming need to clean up after others... though I'd like to get out there and make the place look awesome... just not possible with the number of people shooting that day or any of the other days i've been out there.

I guess My point is - a lot of these people that simply aren't aware that there ARE rules, manners, and safety that needs to be strictly adhered to.
Just tucking in your tail and packing everything up to leave when a couple of people show up that you don't like DOESN'T HELP ANYTHING.
Maybe the shooters that actually know better should take a little responsibility (like the guy that talked to me and educated me, even if rudely) and help make the public range more enjoyable and SAFE for everyone.
last few times i've been there, I didn't see any drunks, anyone muzzeling anyone, or loading behind the firing line or anything so dangerous that would cause me to pack up and leave in fear of my life.

Maybe safety is EVERYONE'S responsibility, including those that know better than some of the hooligans out there
maybe if you actually walked up to say something to some of the guys shooting TVs
and said "hey, you guys can probably get in trouble by shooting that, cops come out here all the time and we're only supposed to have paper targets... just make sure you clean it up, ok" do so politely so as not to offend anyone (cause they'll probably just leave it out there out of spite)
any time you see someone being unsafe just say so... rather than just leaving... someone else may not be as aware, and may have THEIR daughter out there. it could mean someone's life.

Next time there is a range cleanup on a Sunday or Monday, I'd like to be out there lending a hand, making the place look spiffy so we can keep enjoying this free spot.

pyromensch
06-07-2010, 8:27 PM
the other side of the coin:

I recently began my foray into the wonderful world of firearms ownership and shooting.
my first weapon: a remington 870 Express, 18.5 6rd mag. Love it.
in the past 4 weeks, i've been to spenceville 3 times - and put over 600 rounds through it. My shooting "mentor" is my best buddy and trusted friend who is a long time gun enthusiest with several firearms. He's the one that taught me weapons handeling, safety, range rules and proper shooting manners. he's not without fault - as over my time here and at the range I've found new and important rules and manners, and shotgun corse that taught me a lot as well.
Being the idiot that I am, on Memorial day at Spenceville during a range clear - I noticed my shotgun was sitting on the table with the action closed - I swore I had it open as I ALWAYS DO, but there was also my friend and his brother (another shooting enthusiast) using my shotgun... so I quickly cleared the action (no rounds, just being closed made me nervous)
I thought this was the right thing to do.
I was quickly scolded by a fellow shooter a few parties over, who made it clear in no uncertain terms that I was an ******* and should have known better - was extremely rude... and told me not to even touch the weapon during a clear... Good to know - (I had firgured I was doing the safer thing by making sure it was clear) I tried to be polite and thank him for setting me straight, shook his hand and appologized - he went on his way. Over the course of the rest of the day, I noticed during a range clear that my shooting buddies had handled firearms and I quickly told them not to, and that I had been told that was not cool at all.

Also, during my time there we saw several kinds of targets being shot, including TVs, soda cans and paper targets - NO I did not clean up after them... in fact when I got there at 8am there were already several people out there shooting, many of them left by 1 or so but more showed up... making it near impossible to do any kind of real cleaning... obviously before we left we waited for a range clear and took back everything we brought with us (including shells for later releading)

I didn't feel and overwhelming need to clean up after others... though I'd like to get out there and make the place look awesome... just not possible with the number of people shooting that day or any of the other days i've been out there.

I guess My point is - a lot of these people that simply aren't aware that there ARE rules, manners, and safety that needs to be strictly adhered to.
Just tucking in your tail and packing everything up to leave when a couple of people show up that you don't like DOESN'T HELP ANYTHING.
Maybe the shooters that actually know better should take a little responsibility (like the guy that talked to me and educated me, even if rudely) and help make the public range more enjoyable and SAFE for everyone.
last few times i've been there, I didn't see any drunks, anyone muzzeling anyone, or loading behind the firing line or anything so dangerous that would cause me to pack up and leave in fear of my life.

Maybe safety is EVERYONE'S responsibility, including those that know better than some of the hooligans out there
maybe if you actually walked up to say something to some of the guys shooting TVs
and said "hey, you guys can probably get in trouble by shooting that, cops come out here all the time and we're only supposed to have paper targets... just make sure you clean it up, ok" do so politely so as not to offend anyone (cause they'll probably just leave it out there out of spite)
any time you see someone being unsafe just say so... rather than just leaving... someone else may not be as aware, and may have THEIR daughter out there. it could mean someone's life.

Next time there is a range cleanup on a Sunday or Monday, I'd like to be out there lending a hand, making the place look spiffy so we can keep enjoying this free spot.

trust me, it may have sounded rude to you, but when you step out in front of the barrels of many weapons, and someone, behind you touches one of those weapons, it only takes one time. i am sure that you might have experienced a little bit more "rude" behavior, if he hadn't contained himself.
stern admonishments, put an reminder in one's brain

FatalKitty
06-08-2010, 8:45 AM
trust me, it may have sounded rude to you, but when you step out in front of the barrels of many weapons, and someone, behind you touches one of those weapons, it only takes one time. i am sure that you might have experienced a little bit more "rude" behavior, if he hadn't contained himself.
stern admonishments, put an reminder in one's brain

oh trust me - I know. I wasn't saying he should be all nice to me... what I did was in violation of a safety rule and there's no being nice about safety right? I mean if you're nice no one listens?

however, I do take offense to having fingers put in my face and comments made about my age, size, and race.

I was glad that he told me, because as I mentioned I thought I was doing the safer thing having the firearm clear. just didn't like HOW it was said.

funny thing is - just this Sunday I went out there again, and the place was nearly empty... we cleaned up a lot of trash and then shot for about an hour... a few people showed up and during a range clear one of the guys was "sighting" down his rifle pointing it downrange.

I walked over to him and said *exact words*

"please don't do that, you're not supposed to handle the weapons when the range is clear."

the response I got was "oh my bad" and everyone was happy, no one was offended, and I later overheard him tell his buddy that attempted to pick up his firearm "we're not allowed to touch 'em right now, just wait."

no need to be rude about it at all :)

mjsweims
06-09-2010, 7:46 AM
When I go out to change ot check targets I always bring a couple of handfuls of crap back with me and deposit it next to the trash bags. If everyone did the same the range would be much cleaner.
I don't think I should have to clean up after others but if it helps keep the place open I will. People who bring out refrigerators, TVs and the like are idiots.

telcolineman
06-09-2010, 12:37 PM
I grew up shooting at Spenceville, It has been closed more than once since the early 80's. Mostly due to people and garbage, +1 on the idiots drinking and shooting over peoples heads, It happened to me in the 80's. we just returned the favor, Stupid high school kids you know. Oops I just age dated myself, I sincerely hope they keep the range open. I had a lot of fun there and being local that was where you took the girls to impress them and camp at the refuge, Such fond memories and my family is still in the Y/S area
Jim

Lead-Thrower
06-09-2010, 5:10 PM
Im heading out there next Monday morning. I'll take some trash bags with me...

God Bless The Mauser
07-20-2010, 11:51 AM
I went out there with my buddy yesterday afternoon for a couple hours and we were the only ones there but it was very hot out so I assume that's why. It looked like there was a controlled burn because the entire range was burned but didn't go over the road that goes around the shooting area.

FatalKitty
08-06-2010, 9:22 AM
there was a controlled burn.

which is nice, makes it much safer to walk up to the 4th berm to set targets.

it has been hot out there lately and not crowded at all on mondays - I bring my ez-up or we park under the tree on the far right side.

mosinnagantm9130
08-06-2010, 2:20 PM
it has been hot out there lately and not crowded at all on mondays - I bring my ez-up or we park under the tree on the far right side.

I like the far right the bast, it lets me shoot longer range with whatever surplus rifles I bring out, and that little mini-hill lets you throw and shoot clays easily.

Wnick308
08-15-2010, 7:35 PM
Last Sunday(8/8/10) the Ranger showed up and started writing up fines to people. Thankfully I did not get one.

rspeed9i6
08-15-2010, 11:23 PM
hey guys, im a new calgunner and a new ar15 owner....its also my first firearm...ive put about 200 rds through it at the rancho cordova shooting range, and by all means, i love the place and enjoy shooting there...but as i look at the fees, $15 for the range fee adds up over time, especially if i go every week, which is what i have been doing. now from what ive been reading and hearing about this spenceville place, im getting both sides of the fence. im currently residing in the north sacramento area, and i would like to eventually visit spenceville on one of my range days. just trying to see if its worth the drive and saving the extra $15 by going to this range, or is it just a waste of time with a bunch of stupid, immature, unsafe shooters getting drunk?

honestly i wouldnt mind going up there to try out my ar15 without a 1 shot 1 second rule one time or so....but, also i wouldnt want to be out there with these "hooligans" who are "messing it up" for everyone else....

thanks for the info guys, hope to see you out on the ranges!

omgwtfbbq
08-16-2010, 12:25 AM
im currently residing in the north sacramento area, and i would like to eventually visit spenceville on one of my range days. just trying to see if its worth the drive and saving the extra $15 by going to this range, or is it just a waste of time with a bunch of stupid, immature, unsafe shooters getting drunk?

I only shoot up there because it's the closest place (besides maybe Oroville which is usually packed) to home (Yuba City). A lot of the problems with litter and dumping are being worked on with the rangers cracking down, as well as doing a controlled burn to get rid of a lot of tall brush and grass that was overgrowing the range, but the main problem is still the lack of safety.

I personally have left this range early on more than one occasion because of shooters being completely unsafe. I've seen teenage kids come out with not compliant firearms (usually an AK or Daddy's AR) and hipfire 30 rnd mags into the ground and point their weapons around and posing for myspace pics. I've had people shoot crossrange at my targets, trying to start some sort of pissing match with me. The young guys are the ones that anger me the most. I'm young myself, only 22, but I know what is and isn't safe range practices, and I don't think it's too much to ask that these young people do the same.

I was there probably three or four weeks ago, and a man who was supposed to be showing his girlfriend/wife the ropes of handgun shooting and safety just walks out to the 30 yard berm while people are still firing on the line, no clear, no ceasefire, just walks on out there and starts setting up targets. A terrible example to be setting for a novice shooter.

Save your gas and your time, don't go to spenceville

gotgunz
08-16-2010, 12:44 AM
I only shoot up there because it's the closest place (besides maybe Oroville which is usually packed) to home (Yuba City).

Actually it is not the closest to home...

www.twincitiesgunclub.com

omgwtfbbq
08-16-2010, 9:03 AM
Actually it is not the closest to home...

www.twincitiesgunclub.com

Excuse me, I should have specified, closest FREE range. Also the Twinscities outdoor range is super small. It's okay for sighting in a rifle before going hunting but it's not good for a day at the range. Limited range, and limited space. But true, I should have said I meant free ranges. Personally I would rather deal with spenceville being a dump than shoot at that itty bitty range.

Mstrty
08-16-2010, 1:29 PM
Last Sunday(8/8/10) the Ranger showed up and started writing up fines to people. Thankfully I did not get one.

Its about time. It sickens me when people bring anything but paper or clay to shoot at. Keep you bottles, cans, trash, at home or get fined. Follow the FREE range rules or get fined. Hooray!

gotgunz
08-16-2010, 2:57 PM
Excuse me, I should have specified, closest FREE range. Also the Twinscities outdoor range is super small. It's okay for sighting in a rifle before going hunting but it's not good for a day at the range. Limited range, and limited space. But true, I should have said I meant free ranges. Personally I would rather deal with spenceville being a dump than shoot at that itty bitty range.

100 yards is not really "itty bitty" but okay......

I guess it is a matter of perception but I have spent many days there.... all day.

mosinnagantm9130
08-16-2010, 6:00 PM

It's about damn time. Maybe that will make idiots think twice.

omgwtfbbq
08-16-2010, 6:15 PM
100 yards is not really "itty bitty" but okay......

I guess it is a matter of perception but I have spent many days there.... all day.

I wasn't meaning to offend... The range is nice, just too small for my tastes. I like being able to shoot out to 200 or more yards, and shoot skeet if I want to do so.

Charlie50
08-16-2010, 6:17 PM
:( I can safely predict that Spenceville will be closed within two years. But why or why the sheep ask. Well boys and girls because the powers that be want it that way! Shooting on public lands is doomed to be but a dusty memory that only old guys will talk about. The Spenceville shooting range is great place but without some policing, private or public the place is literally a target for closure.

The condescending tone is intentional! I want the shooting community pissed enough to actually get off their collective a..s and act. We’ve got very few places to shoot and the places you can are crowded, virtual garbage dumps where anarchy can prevail. A couple of guys I was talking to said gang bangers are driving up there shooting like idiots and according to these people possibly illegal autos Most shooters are responsible and will do the right thing but there is an element of society that does not help our sport.

I went out to Spenceville only one time about a week ago and had a great time. I live in Vallejo, why did I drive all that way to shoot? Well that would be because Knoxville BLM land is closed to shooting! The trend of closing areas to shooting has been relentless and long.

The BLM, Forest Service, Sheriffs Departments and the State of California would like nothing better to kick shooting enthusiasts out and reduce their exposure to potential problems that involve “evil” firearms. The voting public is likely on their side. The average Californian these days think gun think - bad.
So you ask “what do we do!” First contribute to Calguns, second tell others about Calguns and organize. Maybe we can convince the local legislators that we are not all ignorant, ill-informed, gun toting Bubbas. No funding is given to these places that have literally hundreds of tax paying citizens enjoying yet there is room in the budget for various parks and public areas that don’t have a quarter of the use. I met a great guy out there who has been volunteering his time since the late 70’s out at Spenceville cleaning up the trash, cutting the weeds and gently informing shooters about the rules. We need to kick out a few bucks out to support basic maintenance or the average Joe non-shooter is going to look at photos of these places and say “close down that noisy, nuisance that looks like a dump”.

rspeed9i6
08-16-2010, 6:19 PM
cool thx for the info guys....i guess ill just keep shooting at my rancho cordova range...i wouldve really hated to be dissapointed if i drove out that far to spenceville....sucks that there has to be that many idiots out there...

Rigma
08-16-2010, 10:43 PM
cool thx for the info guys....i guess ill just keep shooting at my rancho cordova range...i wouldve really hated to be dissapointed if i drove out that far to spenceville....sucks that there has to be that many idiots out there...

I have my favorites depending on the type of shooting planned and time of day/week. So mix it up and try out the Sac Valley and Yolo range as well if you want to try something new that is not all that far away.

DREADNOUGHT78
08-16-2010, 11:43 PM
I was at Spenceville a few days ago and although it was a bit littered with garbage and the fact that someone (CDF?) did a controlled burn and the range had been cleared of fire hazard's does not lead me to believe that they intend to shut down the range. If they did plan on shutting this range down why would they bother with any up keep? I understand that them clearing the dry grass is preventable fire control's but if they wanted to shut the range down nothing would provide a better motive than a fire set by "irresponsible" firearms owners. I have been shooting at Spencville for 19 years. I have never once seen and Law Enforcement patrol the range one single time. And as much as i dislike the idiot's at Spenceville I doubt some moron with a full auto firearm will be the reason the range gets shut down. I believe that the guys calling Law Enforcement on the idiot's at the range will contribute more to the closure than anything. It is like anything the more complaints and the more that units respond the more ammunition anyone with the intent of shutting the range down will have. I am not saying that illegal activities are right I left on Thursday because some morons were smoking weed and were spinning in circles trying to clear a stuck round in a side folding Mini-14 sweeping anyone and everyone at the range. All I am saying is that we can only do what we can, go to the range edjucate those who appear to need it and are willing to listen,be safe and responsible shooter's and pack out what we packed in.

omgwtfbbq
08-17-2010, 9:25 AM
I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt and see over the next few months if the conditions as far as policing improve because I have many fond memories of shooting there with my family going way back, but as of now, enforcement is pretty week. I did see a game warden there a few months back who thought some chumps with tacticool ARs who were bumpfiring had full autos and made them break down their rigs and prove they weren't. However, he completely disregarded that all of them were carrying and using 30 rnd mags. I personally don't care about magazine capacity, but it's the law and it's a dumb risk to take. My point being that enforcement needs to go WAY up. I see CHP out of Hammonton Smartville Rd and even down Spenceville, so there's LE in the area, just barely ever at the range.

I'm hopefully going Thursday, but I haven't decided if I wanna try Spenceville again or just drive to Oroville.

God Bless The Mauser
08-23-2010, 4:52 PM
Took a couple buddies to shoot my MG42 and some other stuff on Friday and it was actually pretty clean. Unless I'm shooting my Remington 700 I usually don't put up my own targets and just shoot at stuff people leave behind and I had a hard time finding stuff to shoot at. The Osama target on the hill was still there, it was there when I went a month and half ago, lol.

ArmedWolf
08-24-2010, 8:00 PM
Trash is one thing, some bottles and old appliances never bothered me. But it is when places turn into Dump sites that it gets out of control, sometimes looking to the point of a house being gutted there with beds sofas and other crap, and piles of garbage, That happened a lot at Colfax and it got annoying.

I do understand the anal part of it, I've been in trouble myself even for having soda bottles filled with water attached to my target stands, as I like to do, attaching balloons or clays along my stand, or water filled bottles, apparently that is still littering even though I have trash bags loaded with my mess and others. But hammering the dirt with copper and lead and brass is fine. *shrugz*

Isn't it funny how the government decides what is and isn't clean enough, even when they let our parks and other public areas erode on a daily basis. I can't possible understand why the GOVT is SOOOOO upset about some trash on a shooting range. I just don't buy it. As far as someone shooting the benches goes, who gives a ****? They're concrete! Men are crazy and they like to shoot **** with guns. How about just not worrying about blown up propane bottles and broken beer bottles? Does it really matter that much? That is a rhetorical question, of course. NObody should give a **** about that. All the old shooting ranges I enjoyed as younger man were like that and it was a blast to shoot at them. Today, they're so damn santized, it's boring. It's all bull**** intended to punish the lowly public that should be so appreciative of what the government gives them. Fight back!

Charlie50
08-25-2010, 8:43 AM
Isn't it funny how the government decides what is and isn't clean enough, even when they let our parks and other public areas erode on a daily basis. I can't possible understand why the GOVT is SOOOOO upset about some trash on a shooting range. I just don't buy it. As far as someone shooting the benches goes, who gives a ****? They're concrete! Men are crazy and they like to shoot **** with guns. How about just not worrying about blown up propane bottles and broken beer bottles? Does it really matter that much? That is a rhetorical question, of course. NObody should give a **** about that. All the old shooting ranges I enjoyed as younger man were like that and it was a blast to shoot at them. Today, they're so damn santized, it's boring. It's all bull**** intended to punish the lowly public that should be so appreciative of what the government gives them. Fight back!

anarchist, Can't help but flame you ... With freedom comes self-restraint and personal responsibility. I can agree with you that the goverment, as it is today, has an agenda and supporting shooting sports is not one of them. The idea that leaving shooting trash and intentionally damaging public property is OK because "men are crazy and they like to shoot ### with guns" displays a level of maturity not commensurate with the handling of firearms. I assume your handle pretty much says it all. Out for you, yourself and F### the rest of us. I have seen other recreational areas destroyed and then taken away from the general public (OHV riding areas) in recent times. The guys who messed it up sounded a whole lot like you did in your post. Could not agree more that the shooting public needs to be more politically active but also proactive and clean up yours (and others) crap they leave behind. Think the old Honda promo "you meet the nicest people on a Honda (insert with an AK)" We need the general non-shooting public's good graces to be successful.

omgwtfbbq
08-25-2010, 10:20 AM
I don't think we need some idiot goverment employee worrying about us proving to him that our weapons are auto or semi auto. They must not have enough to do in your neck of the woods. You don't want law enforcement anywhere near your shooting ranges. They're nothing but trouble. They'll be the first ones shot when the **** hits the fan.

Firstly, that's a little tin-toil-hat for my tastes. But to answer some questions you've raised, yes there really isn't anything else for the local law enforcement to do. It's a rural community where the biggest issue is maybe pot farming. Not exactly capitol murder.

But I think the reason you believe I wouldn't mind LEOs walking around the range is to police my guns. That's not the case. The reason I wouldn't mind them there is because I don't break the law and I practice firearms safety, but there are others there who don't do either. If I was go to up to some young guy and say "hey, please don't point your rifle around like that, it's not safe." It's porbably not gonna mean much to some young gangster punk out with his buddies. I'm only 22. He's probably not gonna take me seriously.

Rigma
08-30-2010, 11:24 PM
Going to Spencerville and have a question so I don't find myself getting fined.

Can I shoot small steel targets that hang from my paper target stand with a .22?

If yes, is jacketed ok or just lead?

Thanks!

omgwtfbbq
08-31-2010, 3:22 PM
Going to Spencerville and have a question so I don't find myself getting fined.

Can I shoot small steel targets that hang from my paper target stand with a .22?

If yes, is jacketed ok or just lead?

Thanks!

Technically speaking the signs at Spenceville state paper and clay only, but I was there yesterday and it looks like business as usual, garbage everywhere. wood, bottles, cans, metal targets, everything.

However realistically, the likelihood of you getting fined for it is minimal. I see guys shooting the small metal hanging targets out there all the time. Even when the wardens stop in, and they never seem to care.

gdr_11
08-31-2010, 3:30 PM
Used to shoot at Spenceville years ago and, even then, the real trash problem was some of the people who showed up to shoot there. Three teeth and two guns does not a sportsman make.

532Fastback
08-31-2010, 3:37 PM
I wasn't meaning to offend... The range is nice, just too small for my tastes. I like being able to shoot out to 200 or more yards, and shoot skeet if I want to do so.

The rock outcropping on the hill is 350yards.

Rigma
08-31-2010, 10:07 PM
Technically speaking the signs at Spenceville state paper and clay only, but I was there yesterday and it looks like business as usual, garbage everywhere. wood, bottles, cans, metal targets, everything.

However realistically, the likelihood of you getting fined for it is minimal. I see guys shooting the small metal hanging targets out there all the time. Even when the wardens stop in, and they never seem to care.

Thanks for the info. These of course would come home with me and get used repeatedly...not like I'm hauling in trash to shoot at.

I will be hauling out some trash with me when I leave if anyone cares to join.

omgwtfbbq
09-01-2010, 9:02 AM
Thanks for the info. These of course would come home with me and get used repeatedly...not like I'm hauling in trash to shoot at.

When we talkin?

frankDmole
09-01-2010, 9:53 AM

What day?

Rigma
09-02-2010, 1:53 AM
Looks like only tomorrow (Thurs.) will fit in the schedule. Getting there early since it looks like it will be a hot one.

Hoping a weekday morning means it will be quiet and tweaker-free. Short notice I know...

If I like the place I will be back often.

omgwtfbbq
09-02-2010, 9:40 AM
Looks like only tomorrow (Thurs.) will fit in the schedule. Getting there early since it looks like it will be a hot one.

Hoping a weekday morning means it will be quiet and tweaker-free. Short notice I know...

If I like the place I will be back often.

Well unfortunately I can't/couldn't make it because i'm in class until this afternoon. I was there Monday and overall it was a decent day. The only annoyance was a couple of armchair gun intellectuals waxing about how much they think they know about guns and how good of a shot they are, but that's kind of bound to happen anywhere I suppose.

As far as trash, it's looking pretty rough but not as bad as it has been. If I didn't drive a 2-door honda, I would have carried more than just my target out.

Hope the range suits you, or at least that it isn't too terrible to you. haha.

-Chris

mosinnagantm9130
09-04-2010, 10:20 PM
I was out there today, there wasn't as much trash as usual. The controlled burn must have cut down on it some.

submoa1
09-06-2010, 6:28 AM

Unfortunately, The idiots are everywhere. I used to go to Colfax and take the dirt road under the train tracks to a little spot. I shot there every weekend for almost two years. A couple months ago I brought out a benchrest that I made out of scrap wood and painted free to use, don't shoot. It took one week for some jackasses to blow it to hell. Then the sheriffs came out and said they are closing it for good because the same guys were also shooting at the train.

I just go to Sac vally shooting center now but even there, I had a guy leave his rifle on fire with a round in the chamber right next to me on cease fire. RM chewed his *** and the guy left.

I have never been to spenceville but I would be down to help any of my fellow calgunners clean it up if you need help.

Rigma
09-06-2010, 10:45 PM
My first experience at Spenceville was a good one.

Meet some good people, felt everyone acted safe, and was surprised at the number of people that showed up that day.

There was lots of trash, but it was mostly small in size (shells & targets left behind). No big appliances around. Next time I will get there earlier to clean up more before people get there.

I will definitely go back, and will probably try to do so again on a weekday. A CalGuns clean up would be great. If no one else wants to spearhead this, then I guess it will be on me to get the ball rolling.

omgwtfbbq
09-07-2010, 11:35 AM
My first experience at Spenceville was a good one.

Meet some good people, felt everyone acted safe, and was surprised at the number of people that showed up that day.

There was lots of trash, but it was mostly small in size (shells & targets left behind). No big appliances around. Next time I will get there earlier to clean up more before people get there.

I will definitely go back, and will probably try to do so again on a weekday. A CalGuns clean up would be great. If no one else wants to spearhead this, then I guess it will be on me to get the ball rolling.

It's definitely dependent one when you go. I've had a lot of good times there and a lot of bad ones. I just try to avoid weekends at all cost.

I would very much be interested in participating in a cleanup. I don't have a vehicle that would be suitable to haul anything but I can at least lend a hand, or possibly borrow a buddy's truck.

FatalKitty
09-07-2010, 9:06 PM

I haven't been there in almost a month (shooting elsewhere lately) but every time i've been there over the past year it was relatively clean and safe.

omega
11-13-2010, 1:42 PM
WATCH YOUR TABLE, NEVER LEAVE GUNS & AMMO UNATTENDED at SPENCEVILLE

somebody stole the ammo off my table once while I went down range to put up a target and they were gone before I returned

have somebody stand by your table to watch your gear or lock it in your vehicle before turning your back on your guns & gear

pitchbaby
11-13-2010, 2:13 PM
Spenceville is a free range... I guess this just goes to show that you get what you pay for. Thanks for the warning Omega.

scoob_i_e
11-13-2010, 4:14 PM
Well it's been a year (almost, it will be in two more days) since I originally dropped in here to mention the Sheriff explaining the range was scheduled for termination. Spenceville remains open. But I've got to wonder if it's still on a 'hit list.' Whatever the case may be, I'm glad that at least for now it continues to be available for us even in spite of the less than favorable crowd that frequents the range.

pitchbaby
11-13-2010, 4:27 PM
Agreed.

pyromensch
11-14-2010, 8:41 PM
:( I can safely predict that Spenceville will be closed within two years. But why or why the sheep ask. Well boys and girls because the powers that be want it that way! Shooting on public lands is doomed to be but a dusty memory that only old guys will talk about. The Spenceville shooting range is great place but without some policing, private or public the place is literally a target for closure.

not to say that it WON"T happen. but, for the 30 years that i have been shooting there, there has always been, "they are closing spenceville". we, the imperial "WE", are responsible, to maintain, and clean up these "free ranges", because the irresponsible, will not. the authorities, "are" closing in, on this range, and perhaps many others, and it is up to the current, and future shooting enthusiasts, to police the rest.

Kerplow
12-22-2010, 12:25 PM
They ought to get some really crotchety old dudes from the local senior volunteer police out there to regulate the range. Its the perfect job for some bitter old man who loves to yell at people.

That, or just make it a public for profit range.sounds like enough people go there to cover at least basic operating cost.

What else can they do? Oh yeah, close the range! Its impossible to control the douche-baggery without real regulation.

Tiberius
01-14-2011, 1:53 PM
I get up to Spenceville now and then, from the Sac area. I used to go to the Colfax area but that was shut down, apparently due to some bad behavior. (Plus, there were train tracks down range and now and then a train would go by. People stopped shooting. At least when I was there. But still . . . )

As for Spenceville, I've seen the yahoos also what I think of as the Calguns types - considerate and responsible. But rather than abandon the range to the idiots, which insures that it will go away, I'd encourage people to go there and if nothing else set a good example. If the powers that be visit and see its 100% idiots, the future is certain. If it's good shooters and some idiots, well, who knows. The layout there is great, and while the crowds can be mixed, it's an asset to all shooters in the area.

Of course, I haven't seen it so bad that I felt the need to leave. Some of the stories above are admittedly awful.

norcal_patriot
01-23-2011, 1:06 PM
I've been up to spenceville a handful of times, wasn't to bad as far as trash and irresponsible shooters. Just be sure to go before noon, during the week.

Also if you reload, watch your brass, as when the last time I shot at spenceville there was two asians picking up our shells as soon as they hit the ground. I didn't really bother me because I don't reload, but they almost were kind of getting to close for comfort to our firearms sitting on the bench. Anyone else expierence this too?

johnthomas
01-23-2011, 2:00 PM
REAL reason= lazy government employees who don't want to have to work or do their jobs. Let's see I'd rather not drive out there and still make 6k a month retire at 70% with lifetime benefits and go out early with an injury and blame the public for us having to do our jobs. Or we get paid less, do our jobs at a higher level of efficiency and benefit the public who supports our lazy city,county, state, federal butts with over benefitted pension plans and health care. Just my .02 of course but very true.

They are not paid garbage men. Whatever cleanup they do should be minimum. BLM land is for the public to enjoy. Pigs that go out, rip stuff apart and leave garbage all over should be cited and fined if observed. It is a personal responsibility to clean up after a shooting trip to blm land.

xbimmers
03-05-2011, 6:58 AM
Herrumfff!!!!!!

Norcal Industries
03-05-2011, 7:54 AM
haha, ya, i had two asian women with little buckets picking up all my brass, peeking in my truck too. got a little uncomfortable. sad, especially since i was shooting aluminum blazer ammo that day.

Squirrelz_innovations
03-06-2011, 11:45 AM
I've recently started frequenting this range. Those two ladies are almost always there and get way to close! I find that folks that do reload are constantly having to tell them to back off. It's a bit ridiculous!

I clean up my mess but if a "cleaning day" is planned send me a pm and I'll be there to help with a few friends.

guns4funca
03-06-2011, 12:20 PM
DFG should not have to clean up after anyone. This is a good place to shoot. Its as easy as this go there set your target up take it down and home. Treat it like you are at your house. There are big fines written there now a days.
If you feel like a cleaning up and dont have a truck just separate all the junk in piles.
(Bring gloves) The metal is sharp thanks.
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/9848/194052505379059820.jpg (http://img135.imageshack.us/my.php?image=194052505379059820.jpg)http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/843/194052550886772886.png (http://img96.imageshack.us/my.php?image=194052550886772886.png)http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8489/194052505111745815.jpg (http://img135.imageshack.us/my.php?image=194052505111745815.jpg)

Bigdaa
03-06-2011, 2:29 PM
DFG should not have to clean up after anyone.

Some people are just too darn obtuse to understand this.
NOBODY OWES US A CLEAN PLACE TO SHOOT!

Prestoked
03-06-2011, 6:41 PM
Nor does anyone have a right to dirty up somebody else's land.

Coded-Dude
03-06-2011, 7:57 PM
I was out there today(lincoln was closed due to weather). trash wasn't too bad; most of it was in the trash bags, but there were shotgun shells everywhere and one or two random metal objects left out on the range. i didn't have my truck so i wasn't able to pick anything up.

it was nice though because the place wasn't packed...only two or three other groups out there. we had a steady drizzle, but that's about it.

DENCO
03-15-2011, 12:53 PM
Spent two days out there last week. Brought a rake and cleaned from left to right about 75 feet of frontage. I am very happy it is still open for us!
We love the range, two sheriffs pulled up, hung out then split. I have always been lucky out there and have had very few problems with others. Shoot on...

Dennis8269
03-18-2011, 6:47 PM
I was just made aware of this range today. How do you get there? I would be happy to pick up garbage and keep it clean. There are not many places close to lincoln to shoot these days.

omgwtfbbq
03-18-2011, 7:45 PM
I was there this previous tuesday (the 15th) and there was a decent amount of garbage but way better than it has been in the past. One cool thing is that it was bad weather so it wasn't the least bit packed. Also some previous shooters had left a good 25 unbroken clays out on the range and my brother and I made good use of them. haha Sometimes it's nice when people leave trash... as long as its the good kind of trash haha.

hammerhands32
03-19-2011, 11:36 AM
I went out yesterday. Weather was terrible. Had two other guys show up with me. Only one guy there when we left (and I thought I was committed). Place looked decent but alot of shotgun hulls and broken clays can make the place lookworse than it is.

Excelsior
03-19-2011, 7:09 PM
Actually it's slovenly pigs who go out to shoot without cleaning up before they leave. One has to wonder why their parents never taught them any manners?

Prestoked
03-19-2011, 7:12 PM
Actually it's slovenly pigs who go out to shoot without cleaning up before they leave. One has to wonder why their parents never taught them any manners?
Exactly!

oldsmoboat
03-20-2011, 5:26 AM
I was just made aware of this range today. How do you get there? I would be happy to pick up garbage and keep it clean. There are not many places close to lincoln to shoot these days.
I lived in Penn Valley and I didn't know it as there.

Maybe here?
39.134754N 121.306776W

http://wikimapia.org/7462513/Spenceville-Shooting-range

Paul_R
03-20-2011, 10:14 AM
I used to shoot there a lot about 20 years ago when I lived in Marysville. It was a nice place to shoot during the week but full of *****holes on the weekends and always a trash heap on Monday. What a shame.

jackal20
03-20-2011, 11:47 AM
i wish everybody would pack out more than they pack in...
i always bring a rake and trash bags..some people look at me like i'm crazy
my saiga 12 makes a mess..oh yeah i also had to ask the little old asian lady to leave my brass alone

n2stackin
04-04-2011, 9:28 AM
Had two crappy experiences @ Spenceville.

First time, we got there early (7am) and it was very pleasant. Shot about an hour with 3 other considerate people. Hour later, a car load full of yahoos pulls in and start shooting their full autos in every direction. We left so fast we had to pull over down the road to put out guns away in a legally safe manner.

The second time we went, same thing. Got there early and it was really nice. We started setting up targets down-range and the guys next to us thought it would be a good idea to unload while we were out there setting up. Since they had guns in their hands and we didn't, we STFU, ran, loaded up and left.

Never going back.

Sleepy1988
04-04-2011, 2:25 PM
haha, ya, i had two asian women with little buckets picking up all my brass, peeking in my truck too. got a little uncomfortable. sad, especially since i was shooting aluminum blazer ammo that day.

I encountered one of them when I was there. She was speaking her native language the entire time and no one seemed to understand her. Kind of counter-productive. I said something to her in Russian and she paused for a moment and gave me a funny look.

I also encountered a group of people drinking a beer there while they were putting lead down range.

Yeah, I don't really enjoy going there, it's always so crowded, and you never know who you're going to run into.

USMC VET
04-04-2011, 7:45 PM
Was there today and there was a boatload of trash (typical for a monday) but the range was pretty empty with considerate people there. Although there was one cease fire that was acknowlaged by everyone except some dude who i assume didnt hear as he was on the other side of his truck so after it was acknowlaged he let one shotgun blast go and to my suprise a few people were quite miffed at him and let him know it.

JayDeeSacramento
04-17-2011, 6:01 PM
Drove by on our way to go for a hike...it was super packed.

s&w5906
09-07-2011, 2:06 PM
I showed up around noon on Sunday and there was not too many people there. A few moments later a car filled with the "white gangsters" showed up and started shooting at other peoples targets. One of the guys came over to my table and asked if I had beer he could have. I told him I did not have beer and that it wasn't responsible to drink and shoot, he just gave me a weird look and left.
Moments later another guys pulls a T.V and Laptop from his car and takes it downrange and starts shooting at the items. When he's done shooting he packs his guns and leaves all his trash behind.. this place is getting really dirty.. Whens the next clean up.. Ill be down to attend...

jearl1022
09-07-2011, 2:39 PM
My buddy & I went to Spenceville on Labor Day. We'd never been there before. We were hoping the place would be empty, if we got there early. Took us much longer to get there than predicted (we took the road from the south, not knowing it wasn't paved). We arrived about 8am, and there was only one "slot" left to park. The range area was completely full! I had brought a bunch of phone books soaked in water to do some ballistics testing of different hollowpoint ammo. We watched for a while, and I was amazed at how safe this place actually turned out to be. Other than the young man right next to us, most of the shooters were responsible. The young guy in the adjacent spot kept sweeping us with different pistols his dad was handing him. And he kept resting his finger on the trigger, even when he wasn't shooting. My buddy finally said something to him. Other than that, everyone cooperated when anyone called a "CLEAR!!". Everyone put their guns down and their arms up to signify it was safe to go downrange. I still kept looking over my shoulder for good luck. I saw the TV carcass that someone mentioned above. I'll admit, it looks like fun to shoot some stuff like that - but it really does need a range cleanup day (or two).

pyromensch
10-11-2011, 9:27 PM
My buddy & I went to Spenceville on Labor Day. We'd never been there before. We were hoping the place would be empty, if we got there early. Took us much longer to get there than predicted (we took the road from the south, not knowing it wasn't paved). We arrived about 8am, and there was only one "slot" left to park. The range area was completely full! I had brought a bunch of phone books soaked in water to do some ballistics testing of different hollowpoint ammo. We watched for a while, and I was amazed at how safe this place actually turned out to be. Other than the young man right next to us, most of the shooters were responsible. The young guy in the adjacent spot kept sweeping us with different pistols his dad was handing him. And he kept resting his finger on the trigger, even when he wasn't shooting. My buddy finally said something to him. Other than that, everyone cooperated when anyone called a "CLEAR!!". Everyone put their guns down and their arms up to signify it was safe to go downrange. I still kept looking over my shoulder for good luck. I saw the TV carcass that someone mentioned above. I'll admit, it looks like fun to shoot some stuff like that - but it really does need a range cleanup day (or two).

phonebooks really don't show "good" info, but it is interesting to see what penetrates, how far.

Neptune
10-29-2011, 2:30 PM
It's been hit and miss as of late. The range was really clean two weeks ago, but it was getting messy again as of yesterday. I always yell at guys to pick up their junk, and I haul my targets out when finished. Everyone has been pretty nice for the most part, but folks need to be aware that they need to haul their junk out.

Hoop
10-29-2011, 2:38 PM
I've never had a problem at spenceville, other than the fact that it fills up very quickly...

latesvak
11-01-2011, 5:25 PM
i was out a week or so ago and it was really clean . no crap on the berms and very small piles of shotgun shells.

latesvak

FatalKitty
11-02-2011, 10:08 PM
my friend Tyler and I cleaned it up on Friday afternoon

by Monday (halloween) is was dirty again but no where near as bad as it was before we cleaned it up.
Went back yesturday to rake some stuff up and pick up the floating plastic bags.

jemrey81
11-06-2011, 6:41 PM
I went there today... Wasn't horrible, but some retard fired off a couple shots well after the cease fire was called and acknowledged.... Many people were out on the range when he fired!! I was shocked at his stupidity and complete disregard for the safety of others....

latesvak
11-06-2011, 8:12 PM
http://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/n598/latesvak/?action=view&current=085.jpgi was there on saturday and it was really pretty clean . all the tables looked good and trash was all picked up except a couple piles of shotgun shells. i was really surprised to see that someone actually brought out a life size mannequin.
http://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/n598/latesvak/?action=view&current=085.jpg

latesvak